So about new races... - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

So about new races...

2

Comments

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @The Greyhawk.9107 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:
    Color me impressed but this is what Wikipedia had to say on the matter:

    "While the overall concept of orcs draws on a variety of pre-existing mythology, the main conception of the creatures stems from the fantasy writings of J. R. R. Tolkien, in particular The Lord of the Rings. In Tolkien's works, orcs are a brutish, aggressive, repulsive and generally malevolent species, existing in stark contrast with the benevolent Elvish race and generally serving an evil power. Tolkien's concept of orcs has subsequently been adapted and imported into other works of fantasy fiction as well as role-playing and strategy games (such as Dungeons & Dragons, Warhammer, and Warcraft), broadening the recognition of the creatures in popular culture.

    Earlier references to creatures etymologically or conceptually similar to orcs can be found in Anglo-Saxon sources; including Beowulf and 16th-century Italian folk tales, in particular those of Giambattista Basile."

    I could have sworn Orcs were an actual mythological creature like Goblins were and dated back just as far with similar origins. I feel betrayed.

    Like all things, they have influences from older sources, but overall 'Orcs' are something created by Tolkien first.

    Which kinda makes you realize, the folks who came up with those "older sources" are kind of the most creative people in history.

    That is, if they didn't actually believe them.

  • @Eekasqueak.7850 said:

    @The Greyhawk.9107 said:

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:

    @The Greyhawk.9107 said:

    @castlemanic.3198 said:

    @norbes.3620 said:
    Well Skyrim is not the only Franchise were Orcs and Elves are related. and most often the orcs are the degenerated Version.. as sad as it is.

    You can thank Tolkein for that, since the orcs in middle earth were captured elves that were mutated. Apparently you can also blame him for giant spiders in every fantasy world too.

    Didn't Tolkien invent Orcs, though? Arern't they, well, his?

    According to a quick Google search, no, they date back much farther. The entire lord of the rings story is cribbed from Germanic legends too. Mostly one in specific but the name us eluding me at the moment. Tolkien didn't really invent anything. Even Gandalf is based on the Norse god Odin.

    That's....not what I'm coming up with, particularly in regards to Orcs specifically. That google search may have been too quick. And, frankly there's a whole lot else wrong with the above statement, especially the use of "cribbed". Everybody that writes or creates something is influenced by those that came before, everyone, and Tolkien absolutely did use various Germanic and Celtic languages and cultural stories when creating the world of Middle-earth. He also used heavy Christian influences, which aren't going to be found in a this specific Germanic (pagan) legend you haven't cited.
    (the creation of Gandalf did include some influence from Odin, as some legends spoke of the Norse god disguised as an old man wandering throughout the human lands, but that aspect is about all that Gandalf gets from Odin)

    No need to get so defensive, cribbed is a correct word for what I was communicating. A lot of elements of his stories do in fact borrow from Norse stories, which is exactly what cribbed from means. The rings of power, dwarves, elves, even the name middle earth can be said to come from the Norse Midgard. You also left out the fact that Gandalf isn't in fact human but is basically a godlike being in setting. The robe and wizard hat look is from Odin. Tolkien being a Christian would no doubt have an affect on interpretation of as you call it "pagan" works. Doesn't make it not an interpretation, look up "Der Ring des Nibelungen" it's where the concept of the one ring is from. Which is itself an interpretation of the Nibelungenlied.

    Modern definition of 'cribbed' is synonymous with 'plagiarism' and 'theft', so I think I'm justified in thinking its not an appropriate word to describe Tolkien. No, I didn't mention Gandalf's true nature as I didn't think it was relevant at that point. He is a Maia (plural Maiar, and the same type of being that Sauron was) part of a larger race of spirits collectively known as the Ainur, whom were in turn created from a fictional version of the Judaeo/Christian God Tolkien believed in. The more powerful of the Ainur, the Valar, are understandably comparable the polytheistic pantheons, but the Maiar a great deal less so. So I didn't see the need to further compare Gandalf to Odin in that manner as it didn't quite fit.
    As to the Ring being from another work, well I'll certainly look it up later, but not tonight, I've a nine hour shift tomorrow. But I will say this; Tolkien didn't originally intend for The Hobbit to be a part of this world he was crafting, and even when the story was made so, the Ring was originally just a magic ring. The original versions of the Hobbit have Bilbo winning the ring from Gollum, and Gollum just let him have it without a fight (the beginning of The Fellowship makes a point of explaining that this was a deception on Bilbo's part). It was only later when Tolkien was planning a saga that would become LotR that he looked back at this simple magic ring and thought he could do something with this.
    And yeah, Middle-Earth comes from Midgard, anyone whose ever heard both words can make the connection. I never said that Tolkien wasn't influenced by old world Germanic/Norse culture, I'm just saying it wasn't just Norse culture and that he didn't copy it directly.

    Hate Is Fuel.

  • castlemanic.3198castlemanic.3198 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2018

    @The Greyhawk.9107 said:

    @castlemanic.3198 said:
    You can thank Tolkein for that, since the orcs in middle earth were captured elves that were mutated. Apparently you can also blame him for giant spiders in every fantasy world too.

    Didn't Tolkien invent Orcs, though? Arern't they, well, his?

    Yes, maybe that was an odd way of phrasing it, but it was specifically about the idea of orcs being degenerated elves in a lot of fantasies. Tolkein came up with the concept and understandably, when orcs were placed in many fantasy worlds after the fact, understandably the concept of orcs being degenerated elves transferred in at least some of those. That was my overall point but you're right, I didn't communicate that fact clearly.

    If you join a debate and provide little to no proof when the other side provides lots of evidence, you can't then declare yourself the winner of that debate. Veterans can make signatures apparently.

  • Artyport.2084Artyport.2084 Member ✭✭✭

    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

  • Artyport.2084Artyport.2084 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

    Have you seen the Quaggan?
    The Kodan?
    They all look the same with minor variations of clothes.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

    Have you seen the Quaggan?
    The Kodan?
    They all look the same with minor variations of clothes.

    I have no doubt we'd get the same amount of character creation options as any other race.

  • Artyport.2084Artyport.2084 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

    Have you seen the Quaggan?
    The Kodan?
    They all look the same with minor variations of clothes.

    I have no doubt we'd get the same amount of character creation options as any other race.

    I hope so too but I doubt it.
    Also Quaggan are a no for me. They are a comic relief race.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

    Have you seen the Quaggan?
    The Kodan?
    They all look the same with minor variations of clothes.

    I have no doubt we'd get the same amount of character creation options as any other race.

    I hope so too but I doubt it.
    Also Quaggan are a no for me. They are a comic relief race.

    Alright, let me tell you something, son.

    The Quaggan are everything that is good with the world. They are the hope of the universe. They are the light in the darkness. They are the blanket for all kittens that cry out in fear.

    They are ally to good, nightmare to you.

  • Artyport.2084Artyport.2084 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

    Have you seen the Quaggan?
    The Kodan?
    They all look the same with minor variations of clothes.

    I have no doubt we'd get the same amount of character creation options as any other race.

    I hope so too but I doubt it.
    Also Quaggan are a no for me. They are a comic relief race.

    Alright, let me tell you something, son.

    The Quaggan are everything that is good with the world. They are the hope of the universe. They are the light in the darkness. They are the blanket for all kittens that cry out in fear.

    They are ally to good, nightmare to you.

    They also barely have arms. Yass kill them with that great sword. Somehow?

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

    Have you seen the Quaggan?
    The Kodan?
    They all look the same with minor variations of clothes.

    I have no doubt we'd get the same amount of character creation options as any other race.

    I hope so too but I doubt it.
    Also Quaggan are a no for me. They are a comic relief race.

    Alright, let me tell you something, son.

    The Quaggan are everything that is good with the world. They are the hope of the universe. They are the light in the darkness. They are the blanket for all kittens that cry out in fear.

    They are ally to good, nightmare to you.

    They also barely have arms. Yass kill them with that great sword. Somehow?

    Doesn't stop the Asura from coming at you with toothpick greatswords.

  • Artyport.2084Artyport.2084 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Artyport.2084 said:
    just upgrade combat tonics to be slotted in and usable for mounts.
    Like how elder scrolls does with their transformations.

    Boom

    That's super lame though.

    No customization, no identity, no ownership.

    You'd be just a generic creature.

    Have you seen the Quaggan?
    The Kodan?
    They all look the same with minor variations of clothes.

    I have no doubt we'd get the same amount of character creation options as any other race.

    I hope so too but I doubt it.
    Also Quaggan are a no for me. They are a comic relief race.

    Alright, let me tell you something, son.

    The Quaggan are everything that is good with the world. They are the hope of the universe. They are the light in the darkness. They are the blanket for all kittens that cry out in fear.

    They are ally to good, nightmare to you.

    They also barely have arms. Yass kill them with that great sword. Somehow?

    Doesn't stop the Asura from coming at you with toothpick greatswords.

    That’s true lol. Ok bring on the Quaggan babaaay

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    Also, have you seen an angry quaggan? That's not something you will easily forget. They got some heft behind the swings, for the few willing to fight.

    However, the lesser races are certainly not designed to suddenly become playable. They don't really have space for a capital, any of them, and they are a bit light on culture. Then, as people mentioned, there's retrofitting the armour for the new race(s), possibly editing some of the dialogues to accommodate the new race. Sadly, just like a new profession, I think we're likely past the point of getting a new race.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Rognik.2579 said:
    Also, have you seen an angry quaggan? That's not something you will easily forget. They got some heft behind the swings, for the few willing to fight.

    However, the lesser races are certainly not designed to suddenly become playable. They don't really have space for a capital, any of them, and they are a bit light on culture. Then, as people mentioned, there's retrofitting the armour for the new race(s), possibly editing some of the dialogues to accommodate the new race. Sadly, just like a new profession, I think we're likely past the point of getting a new race.

    Nothing that can't be fixed.

    I never understood why they were called "lesser" races because, with the exception of the Skritt, they all seem to be just as intelligent as anyone else.

  • norbes.3620norbes.3620 Member ✭✭✭

    Quaggan seem pretty dumb to Me...

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @norbes.3620 said:
    Quaggan seem pretty dumb to Me...

    We've seen Quaggan speak, rationalize and think critically on the same level as other races.

    They might have a weird speech pattern, but they aren't dumb by any means.

  • norbes.3620norbes.3620 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @norbes.3620 said:
    Quaggan seem pretty dumb to Me...

    We've seen Quaggan speak, rationalize and think critically on the same level as other races.

    They might have a weird speech pattern, but they aren't dumb by any means.

    Well we propably interacted with different npc

    Even if The might not be Less intelligent their thinking is slow and naive wich can bei fatal in a stressfull Situation

    Additional quaggan Are just walking meatballs with Mini Arms who keep fuu repeating The stuff u say until und think He is as smart as u

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:
    I never understood why they were called "lesser" races because, with the exception of the Skritt, they all seem to be just as intelligent as anyone else.

    I believe they're called the lesser races not because of any physical deficiency, but because they aren't as advanced societally. The major races (asura, charr, human, norn and sylvari) all have major city centers and a huge population spreading over the land. Meanwhile, the skritt have small scratches dotted all over the land, obsessing over shinies. The quaggan have small villages in the water with a very small population, generally unable to defend themselves. The grawl will worship anything that looks even remotely strange, from statues to elaborate crystals. The ogres have huntong parties, but are still on the fringe of Tyrian territory; they're probably the strongest of the lesser races. The hylek are kind of funny, in that they have a few villages and strong belief, but seem to decide their loyalties based solely on their skin colouration.

    In writing that all out, I feel the last two I mentioned are the weakest as far as calling them lesser races, but aside from the quaggan, they are all equally likely to attack outsiders as help, while the major races are generally friendly to each other (except for their token villain faction). The tengu are in an in-between state, having a supposed city in the Domain of Four Winds yet still elect to remain neutral. During the attack on Lion's Arch, they attack anyone who came near their wall.

    Finally, the kodan. They are unusual in that they have their bases (the giant ice floes), yet are so close to the danger of Jormag that they can't enjoy a moment's peace. (Plus, it's hard to make unique appearances when they are all polar bears.)

  • Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018

    The 'lesser race' categorization is really only part of the personal story, and in that context, it's because they're in a position where they can't help themselves. A lot of that comes down, like Rognik said, to social organization- none of the five are set up in a way where they can call on other villages/kraals/scratches/whatever the grawl call their caves, while a threatened settlement of a playable race can, in theory, solicit support from an entire region's worth of other settlements.

    The quaggans are possibly the least affected by this- they used to be a singular nation, and it was mentioned pre-launch that the villages still work together and offer each other aid, even if this is something we never see in-game- but they've also got an additional hurdle in that, as a society as a whole, they'd rather pick up and leave than stand their ground against an outside threat. It's only when they have nowhere else to go (or, in the case of the personal story, have eggs that won't survive being moved) that they try to fight, and by then, things are often worse than they can deal with. From the outside, that looks a lot like the postion the grawl, skritt, etc. are in.

    Regarding hylek- it's more a tribe thing than a skin color thing. Granted, it's not common to see two tribes of the same color close enough together to interact, but there's at least one that includes individuals of multiple colors.

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

  • Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Skritt sort of have a major city, them and Hykek are the ones with an area full of crafting stations at the very least.

  • Loesh.4697Loesh.4697 Member ✭✭✭

    I mean part of the problem is also that the Tyrian races in general, even, and you could argue especially those in the pact have a tendency to use and abuse what they view as the 'lesser races' of their world. Unless there was a lot to gain it almost seems weird for any one race to emerge on Tyria as a new superpower, those already present are hording what is available for themselves.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:
    The 'lesser race' categorization is really only part of the personal story, and in that context, it's because they're in a position where they can't help themselves. A lot of that comes down, like Rognik said, to social organization- none of the five are set up in a way where they can call on other villages/kraals/scratches/whatever the grawl call their caves, while a threatened settlement of a playable race can, in theory, solicit support from an entire region's worth of other settlements.

    The quaggans are possibly the least affected by this- they used to be a singular nation, and it was mentioned pre-launch that the villages still work together and offer each other aid, even if this is something we never see in-game- but they've also got an additional hurdle in that, as a society as a whole, they'd rather pick up and leave than stand their ground against an outside threat. It's only when they have nowhere else to go (or, in the case of the personal story, have eggs that won't survive being moved) that they try to fight, and by then, things are often worse than they can deal with. From the outside, that looks a lot like the postion the grawl, skritt, etc. are in.

    Regarding hylek- it's more a tribe thing than a skin color thing. Granted, it's not common to see two tribes of the same color close enough together to interact, but there's at least one that includes individuals of multiple colors.

    There is one village in Hirathi Hinterlands that is nearly empty because the young Quaggan have gone to aid the humans in their war with the centaurs. The elders in that village say they are foolish for getting involved in a war that doesn't concern them.

    That's one instance where Quaggan have decided to fight when they didn't have to.

  • Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:
    The 'lesser race' categorization is really only part of the personal story, and in that context, it's because they're in a position where they can't help themselves. A lot of that comes down, like Rognik said, to social organization- none of the five are set up in a way where they can call on other villages/kraals/scratches/whatever the grawl call their caves, while a threatened settlement of a playable race can, in theory, solicit support from an entire region's worth of other settlements.

    The quaggans are possibly the least affected by this- they used to be a singular nation, and it was mentioned pre-launch that the villages still work together and offer each other aid, even if this is something we never see in-game- but they've also got an additional hurdle in that, as a society as a whole, they'd rather pick up and leave than stand their ground against an outside threat. It's only when they have nowhere else to go (or, in the case of the personal story, have eggs that won't survive being moved) that they try to fight, and by then, things are often worse than they can deal with. From the outside, that looks a lot like the postion the grawl, skritt, etc. are in.

    Regarding hylek- it's more a tribe thing than a skin color thing. Granted, it's not common to see two tribes of the same color close enough together to interact, but there's at least one that includes individuals of multiple colors.

    There is one village in Hirathi Hinterlands that is nearly empty because the young Quaggan have gone to aid the humans in their war with the centaurs. The elders in that village say they are foolish for getting involved in a war that doesn't concern them.

    That's one instance where Quaggan have decided to fight when they didn't have to.

    Oh, certainly. That's what I was getting at with 'society as a whole'. Even in the personal story, several of the quaggans you save wind up joining the Pact and staying on for the Maguuma campaign. Dissidents who break from the tradition can and do exist, the same way as there are grawl and ogres who don't try to kill our characters on sight, or skritt who work towards higher values than shiny gratification. There aren't enough of them to change the course of the race as a whole, not at this point, but they're proof that the existing social expectations aren't a hard limit on a race's potential.

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    Skritt sort of have a major city, them and Hykek are the ones with an area full of crafting stations at the very least.

    True, the skritt have Skrittsburg and the hylek have the village in Sparkfly Fen (I think), but both of these settlements are under siege in a way that prevents stabilisation. In the case of the skritt, it's their king getting attacked. I think it's generally the Inquest behind it. As for the hylek, they are under near-constant Risen assault. I believe the hylek village's waypoint even becomes contested often, while Skrittsburg only has waypoints by the three entrances.

  • Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2018

    @Rognik.2579 said:

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    Skritt sort of have a major city, them and Hykek are the ones with an area full of crafting stations at the very least.

    True, the skritt have Skrittsburg and the hylek have the village in Sparkfly Fen (I think), but both of these settlements are under siege in a way that prevents stabilisation. In the case of the skritt, it's their king getting attacked. I think it's generally the Inquest behind it. As for the hylek, they are under near-constant Risen assault. I believe the hylek village's waypoint even becomes contested often, while Skrittsburg only has waypoints by the three entrances.

    It does show they're capable of building a city though, I think it'd either take some major living world movement or a change on how they do expansions. Kind of a return to how they were done in the 1st game where the new races would get an entirely new starting area and personal story on a different continent. Which would be a lot of work.

    As an aside though I do think that Canthan Skritt would work if they took inspiration from legend of the five rings' Nezumi.

  • SnowHawk.3615SnowHawk.3615 Member ✭✭✭

    I mean, if we were to get a new race you have to imagine all the armor stretching-injustice catastrophe that was done to the Charr and Asura.
    But I'd be all down for Tengu or a new race of Quaggan (shark-like, or narwhal-like) that focuses on battle and warfare at some point.
    I really miss the personal armors for classes- I feel like they would have had an easier time transitioning armor skins with the GW1 armor idea -Mesmer armor was not seen on Elementalists, Warrior armor was not seen on Paladins, it was unique to them basically.
    They should have expanded more on cultural armors for each race and specialized class - keeping it specific. (no like like 80 different sets but at least up to tier 5)

    Basically, why do fantasy races always have to be walking stereotypes of their own nation's culture?

    Because it helps keep things in order, aside from the rise of the Gary Sue and Mary Sue cringe fests that arise from time to time. Also it's a cultural thing, when you break away from deeply rooted culture it can create chaos that interferes with the fantasy lore of said race/peoples whether it's good or bad.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Rognik.2579 said:

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    Skritt sort of have a major city, them and Hykek are the ones with an area full of crafting stations at the very least.

    True, the skritt have Skrittsburg and the hylek have the village in Sparkfly Fen (I think), but both of these settlements are under siege in a way that prevents stabilisation. In the case of the skritt, it's their king getting attacked. I think it's generally the Inquest behind it. As for the hylek, they are under near-constant Risen assault. I believe the hylek village's waypoint even becomes contested often, while Skrittsburg only has waypoints by the three entrances.

    Dude, I actually never knew the Skritt city was called Skrittsburg.

    That's actually adorable

  • @Magek.4718 said:

    @Rognik.2579 said:

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    Skritt sort of have a major city, them and Hykek are the ones with an area full of crafting stations at the very least.

    True, the skritt have Skrittsburg and the hylek have the village in Sparkfly Fen (I think), but both of these settlements are under siege in a way that prevents stabilisation. In the case of the skritt, it's their king getting attacked. I think it's generally the Inquest behind it. As for the hylek, they are under near-constant Risen assault. I believe the hylek village's waypoint even becomes contested often, while Skrittsburg only has waypoints by the three entrances.

    Dude, I actually never knew the Skritt city was called Skrittsburg.

    That's actually adorable

    It's got region sub names as well:
    Skrittsburg Center
    Skrittsburg East End
    Skrittsburg Hillstead
    Skrittsburg Tunnels

    Skrittsburg is THE place to be if you are a young trendy skrittling.

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    @Moonyeti.3296 said:
    Skrittsburg is THE place to be if you are a young trendy skrittling.

    Actually, a young skritt is called a "kit". They don't show up often, but they exist. Unless you were referring to a different stage of a skritt's life.

    I'm pretty sure the hylek village has a name, too, but I'm blanking on it.

  • Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Zintl Holy Grounds.

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

  • Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭

    Gimme that quaggan warrior, doing that eviscerate with those chubby, stumpy legs and arms, fooooooing all the time!

    Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

  • Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rognik.2579 said:

    @Moonyeti.3296 said:
    Skrittsburg is THE place to be if you are a young trendy skrittling.

    Actually, a young skritt is called a "kit". They don't show up often, but they exist. Unless you were referring to a different stage of a skritt's life.

    I'm pretty sure the hylek village has a name, too, but I'm blanking on it.

    Kits are children, I think the guy was referring to what we'd call teens or young adults. Not sure what Skritt would call them.

  • Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    As an aside though I do think that Canthan Skritt would work if they took inspiration from legend of the five rings' Nezumi.

    It would be awesome, indeed. May Tomorrow never catch you, pal.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Plautze.6290 said:
    Gimme that quaggan warrior, doing that eviscerate with those chubby, stumpy legs and arms, fooooooing all the time!

    Ayy, I see you are a man of culture

  • Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:
    Alright, let me tell you something, son.

    The Quaggan are everything that is good with the world. They are the hope of the universe. They are the light in the darkness. They are the blanket for all kittens that cry out in fear.

    They are ally to good, nightmare to you.

    This! You get me.

    I would love playable Quaggans! I have zero belief it'll happen, but I'd love it.

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    Kits are children, I think the guy was referring to what we'd call teens or young adults. Not sure what Skritt would call them.

    Like most races, a skritt is a kit until he is an adult. The concept of a teenager is a pretty modern one, while a young adult is any newly-turned adult. Similarly, charr are cubs until they leave the fahrar and the asura are progeny until they graduate (or later, if Taimi graduated early). Just the way life was back in the day.

  • Eekasqueak.7850Eekasqueak.7850 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rognik.2579 said:

    @Eekasqueak.7850 said:
    Kits are children, I think the guy was referring to what we'd call teens or young adults. Not sure what Skritt would call them.

    Like most races, a skritt is a kit until he is an adult. The concept of a teenager is a pretty modern one, while a young adult is any newly-turned adult. Similarly, charr are cubs until they leave the fahrar and the asura are progeny until they graduate (or later, if Taimi graduated early). Just the way life was back in the day.

    I'd hesitate to apply those rules to a setting as anachronistic as GW2, and if you're talking about olden times it was actually the opposite because of short lifespans, adulthood was considered to be in the teens. 14-16 range a lot of the time. The intermediary came about when people started to live longer.

  • Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Plautze.6290 said:
    Gimme that quaggan warrior, doing that eviscerate with those chubby, stumpy legs and arms, fooooooing all the time!

    Ayy, I see you are a man of culture

    As are you, judging by your avatar ;)
    Quaggan master race!

    Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

  • dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

    reason why you will probably never see another playable race is money. y they would have to retro go back and add the voice acting to all the other expansions, and living world content. this would be very expensive all in one shot. unless the voice of these new characters is Bob the bag-boy from the local supermarket.

  • Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

    IMO if they add a new Race, they would make it so it has its own story and then connect to the rest from here on, not to old content.

  • Yannir.4132Yannir.4132 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ardid.7203 said:
    IMO if they add a new Race, they would make it so it has its own story and then connect to the rest from here on, not to old content.

    Yeah but they're obviously not going to start doing LWS with 2 different storylines so they will have to connect somehow. There's all manner of problems with this. How do you connect this character of a new race to all existing characters and key players of the world? How does your new(let's say...) Tengu character know Queen Jennah personally? If you don't do it, you're limiting the scope of the stories you can tell from that moment on as you can't lean on previously established characters. Unless there's a point in the story where the Commander actually dies, or retires, and is replaced by someone new. That's not really something you can do in games though.

  • perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I still don't see why they couldn't do a Tengu arc for Personal Story. There are several Tengu in the Pact, the commander could easily be another one that left. The first two arcs could take place in the Dominion starter area, the third could take place outside, as you discover a threat to the Tengu and solicit help from the Orders to stop it, and decide that fighting is better than hiding.

    I mean, I can see why they wouldn't want to invest the resources (especially redoing VA for so many PS steps and old LS content), I just don't why it's narratively impossible to make a Tengu commander canonical from the beginning.

  • @perilisk.1874 said:
    I still don't see why they couldn't do a Tengu arc for Personal Story. There are several Tengu in the Pact, the commander could easily be another one that left. The first two arcs could take place in the Dominion starter area, the third could take place outside, as you discover a threat to the Tengu and solicit help from the Orders to stop it, and decide that fighting is better than hiding.

    They'd have to write a whole new set of chapters 1 and 2 (racial 1 and racial 2 - eg human noble/commoner/street-rat and human sister/parents/circus), obviously, and it's pretty much essential to do the same for chapter 3 (meet the orders and join one). The opening of chapter 4 would be a bit strange, though - since there is one member of Destiny's Edge for each of the existing playable races and there aren't any others, how do they structure the meeting with DE in Lion's Arch? (Yes, I know, the problem can be solved, but that doesn't stop it from being a problem.)

    I mean, I can see why they wouldn't want to invest the resources (especially redoing VA for so many PS steps and old LS content), I just don't why it's narratively impossible to make a Tengu commander canonical from the beginning.

    It isn't (aside possibly for the exact structure of that Chapter 4 mission) narratively impossible to add Tengu. Largos would be more difficult, but there are still ways they could finagle it, maybe. It all comes down, in the end, to questions of choosing what to spend time and money on. Is it better to spend it on new stories for everyone and new places to go, or is it better to spend it on new spins of the old content that also raise the cost of producing new content in the future?

    @Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

  • Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    The opening of chapter 4 would be a bit strange, though - since there is one member of Destiny's Edge for each of the existing playable races and there aren't any others, how do they structure the meeting with DE in Lion's Arch? (Yes, I know, the problem can be solved, but that doesn't stop it from being a problem.)

    Skip that instance. The only reason to have it is to transition into the dungeon storyline via the established connection to one of that storyline's main players. Without a member of DE, there's no purpose to going through that scene.

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

    @Steve The Cynic.3217 said:
    The opening of chapter 4 would be a bit strange, though - since there is one member of Destiny's Edge for each of the existing playable races and there aren't any others, how do they structure the meeting with DE in Lion's Arch? (Yes, I know, the problem can be solved, but that doesn't stop it from being a problem.)

    Skip that instance. The only reason to have it is to transition into the dungeon storyline via the established connection to one of that storyline's main players. Without a member of DE, there's no purpose to going through that scene.

    Losing that scene wouldn't be a big deal anyway.

    I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.

    They're tbh the most pointless and underutilized characters in the game. Like, why am I expected to care about these guys save for the one who was present for the racial story?

  • Genesis.8572Genesis.8572 Member ✭✭✭

    Another possibility is that the player could just unlock a new race as a "hero race" that is able to skip through old content. So if you pick a Tengu, then you can't play old Tyrian content, only HoT+ content. But the tengu could be given their own racial storyline that builds into new expansion content or feeds into just Open World PvE stuff for Old Tyria.

  • Rognik.2579Rognik.2579 Member ✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:
    I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.

    That's because the dungeon story mode is supposed to be the B plot to your Personal Story A plot. They happen simultaneously, but were designed to be done as you level and explore, hence why Miss Stalker Herald tells you about them as you level up.

  • yefluke.3168yefluke.3168 Member ✭✭
    edited September 5, 2018

    I prefer Largor over Tengu.

    I found Tengu looks like skinny charr when seeing from the back.

  • Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

    @Rognik.2579 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:
    I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.

    That's because the dungeon story mode is supposed to be the B plot to your Personal Story A plot. They happen simultaneously, but were designed to be done as you level and explore, hence why Miss Stalker Herald tells you about them as you level up.

    Thing is though, if you don't do the dungeons, they show up once and then show up one more time for the final battle.

    It's the most awkward way of handling a group of characters that we're told from the start are very important. In a way, it makes them the most underutilized and even worthless characters in the game.

  • Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Magek.4718 said:

    @Rognik.2579 said:

    @Magek.4718 said:
    I always wondered what was the point of introducing DE because if you don't do the dungeons, they're literally absent for the entirety of story and then suddenly they show up for Zhaitan and act like you know them.

    That's because the dungeon story mode is supposed to be the B plot to your Personal Story A plot. They happen simultaneously, but were designed to be done as you level and explore, hence why Miss Stalker Herald tells you about them as you level up.

    Thing is though, if you don't do the dungeons, they show up once and then show up one more time for the final battle.

    It's the most awkward way of handling a group of characters that we're told from the start are very important. In a way, it makes them the most underutilized and even worthless characters in the game.

    I think the basic concept of having three story delivery methods running in tandem- personal story, dungeons, dynamic events- had merit. I just wonder if they didn't give enough indications that that's what they were going for. If you missed the promotional material before launch, the only thing pointing you towards dungeons is periodic mail that focuses on the individual scenarios, without making it clear they're part of a coherent storyline that's intended to be experienced simultaneous to the PS quests you're blowing through. If that notification system had been handled differently (and if the story modes themselves had received better writing...), the gamble might've paid off.

    R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.