Ranked Stronghold

Drakkus.2941

Has there ever been discussion of adding Stronghold to the Ranked PvP queue, or adding an additional 'Not Conquest' Ranked PvP queue? I tried to search for a dev post about it but I'm not good with computers and I'm a little baked so I couldn't find it. Sorry if it's already been responded to.

If Arenanet wanted to be a little cheeky they could add the daily Activity (or an Activity Queue) to the 'Not Conquest' PvP queue as well as Stronghold, which would let you add PvP pips / reward track progress to that too.

Heck, while they were at it, they could totally add a Battle Royale PvP mode/map to it as well. Spawn 3-5 teams of 5 people on an airship that flies across an instanced version of one of several randomly chosen maps out of a pool of appropriately sized explorable/borderlands maps. You get a one-use glider (or maybe some new mount they add with the map's patch. Jetpack?) Once you land, it's no mounts, no gliders.

When the match starts, a circle appears on the area map, (pretty decently sized, maybe 1/4 - 1/2 of the size of a desert borderlands map?) and a 5 minute timer starts. After the five minute timer expires, a poison fog envelops everything except that circle. (Maybe make the fog come in gradually?) Standing in the fog causes an intensity stacking 10 second duration condition that reduces healing by 10%, and deals 10% of your max hitpoints, stacking in intensity, per second.

Mounts and glider 'powerups' spawn out in the world (spawn lots of one or the other if it's a map that needs it), when you step over one it makes a big glow, (semi-visible from moderately far away) then after 30-60 seconds vanishes. Walking over it gives you a 5 minute buff that gives you either the glider or a mount specific to that spawn. (Maybe one-time communable objects that spawn in clusters instead? Probably a better experience but harder to implement)

Artifacts also spawn around the map in a similar manner (probably single-use communes) , and work just like the ones in the Eternal Coliseum map. Maybe add ones for Mobility (Super Jump/Dodge?) and Healing (Big AoE Heal on heal use? AoE rez with a 60 second cooldown?) in addition to the existing ones for Damage and Survivability.

As the match progresses, the circle outside of which the fog spawns gradually decreases, eventually closing in to the size of an average PvP map after 15-20 minutes, then onwards from there.

Dying puts you to a score screen, and lets you spectate around where you died. (Maybe zoom the camera out worldboss style to allow a better view)

Last team alive wins, rewards (pips) scale based on how long you survived.

@Drakkus.2941 said:Has there ever been discussion of adding Stronghold to the Ranked PvP queue, or adding an additional 'Not Conquest' Ranked PvP queue?Used to be there, but ANet removed it. The mode didn't work as planned, too easy to snowball/cheese, etc.

ANet also tried a 5v5 deathmatch with the Courtyard map, and that was widely panned by PvPers.

@Qugi.2653 said:Think strong hold was fail. I do not see people want to play it. anet probably just let it be a think like dungeon they not car about.

Concrap is by far the biggest fail of pvp. Least stronghold didn't require everyone on your team being smart. in circle dancing conq you have 1 stupid pug and its ova for you bucko. i can carry 3 baddies vs a 4 or 5 man pug easy in stronghold. Why? More strategy then circle dancing and zerging. GW2 Esl will never have a chance with con as the map mode. TDM like good old gw1 would be ESL eligible hell even stronghold a bit improved could be. circle dancing requires voice chat to win in a proper team.

Archived