Gaile: Question about the "I'd really like..." Thread on the old forums?

Hi Gaile,

I know you paid attention along with several of us, to try to keep the ideal that was the "I'd really like..." thread from getting too far off the path. For that, I wanted to again say thanks. :)

My question is, do you feel it could/should be moved here, or perhaps it was becoming too much to monitor to make sure it wasn't being misused or exploited?

Anyway, thanks for the attention you give all the special topics and projects our community creates.

Thorfinnr

Following the 15 minute editing topic... I realized that this would have a rather large impact here. In the previous "I'd Really Like..." thread, users could edit their posts to indicate when they'd received something and say thanks. This could be days or weeks later, which is obviously an issue if we're restricted to 15 minutes (or even 4 hours or a day with increased forum ranks).

A second post could be used to accomplish the same thing, quoting their original to link the request and fulfillment. However, that adds a layer of filtering or something similar when checking the posts for duplicate requests. I'm not sure how this could be managed in the new forum, but it looks like removing the time restriction for editing would generally be helpful.

Yeah I don't think it could be restarted here with the new restrictions. There is a fixed time limit on editing posts. So say someone asks for something and receives it the next day, they can't edit their post to say their request has been fulfilled. That said, the old thread was often abused. There were regular occurrences of people making multiple requests, deleting their old requests to ask for more, and not updating their posts when they received what they asked for (first hand knowledge having sent several gifts). Maybe it is best that it ends with the old forum. It was a good thing and had a good run. I'm glad a lot of honest players were able to participate. However it has been abused by people that saw it not for its true nature but as a place to get as much free stuff as possible. We can look on it with fond memories of what good it did for the honest participants and leave it at that.

Maybe some time after all this new forum stuff gets settled we can think of a new way to start another one. That's my 2 cents.

I was making this final thank you and farewell post in the old forums, but apparently they are already being closed down and I am now restricted from being able to post in the old thread. Because of this, I will make my final post here,

Hello again, all.

Due to the release of the new GW2 forums, it is likely that the old forums will be archived instead of outright deleted. However, I feel that it is also likely that the archive would only be accessible internally by ArenaNet for reference use after a short time. Perhaps I will be wrong and it will remain for all to reference. We shall see.

Regarding these new forums, I have found that they are...not at all as I had hoped.

The design of the old forum was not at all ideal for a thread of this nature, but with a lot of time and effort, many people helped to make it work as best as it was able. However, due to there being multiple design elements on these new forums that differ from the old forum, it will likely be impossible to create a new version of the thread on the new forums.

As a result, I wish to express my appreciation for each and every one of the request makers, recipients, gifters, silent browsers, moderators, helpers and any who have taken interest in this thread and utilized it for the benefit of others.

So very much kindness and generosity has been shown to others over the course of the thread. With the thread now ending, I hope the kindness and generosity will continue, expressed via other means.

In the event it ends up being permitted on these new forums, and if someone is able to find a way to re-create it despite the constraints imposed by this new design, I wish for a successor thread to experience as much interest and to generate as much happiness as those taking part in the old one helped to facilitate.

I am not able to express my thoughts and feelings as well as I would like much of the time, but what I want to express right now is simply that I hope for so much for you all.

@StinVec.3621 said:I was making this final thank you and farewell post in the old forums, but apparently they are already being closed down and I am now restricted from being able to post in the old thread. Because of this, I will make my final post here,

Hello again, all.

Due to the release of the new GW2 forums, it is likely that the old forums will be archived instead of outright deleted. However, I feel that it is also likely that the archive would only be accessible internally by ArenaNet for reference use after a short time. Perhaps I will be wrong and it will remain for all to reference. We shall see.

Regarding these new forums, I have found that they are...not at all as I had hoped.

The design of the old forum was not at all ideal for a thread of this nature, but with a lot of time and effort, many people helped to make it work as best as it was able. However, due to there being multiple design elements on these new forums that differ from the old forum, it will likely be impossible to create a new version of the thread on the new forums.

As a result, I wish to express my appreciation for each and every one of the request makers, recipients, gifters, silent browsers, moderators, helpers and any who have taken interest in this thread and utilized it for the benefit of others.

So very much kindness and generosity has been shown to others over the course of the thread. With the thread now ending, I hope the kindness and generosity will continue, expressed via other means.

In the event it ends up being permitted on these new forums, and if someone is able to find a way to re-create it despite the constraints imposed by this new design, I wish for a successor thread to experience as much interest and to generate as much happiness as those taking part in the old one helped to facilitate.

I am not able to express my thoughts and feelings as well as I would like much of the time, but what I want to express right now is simply that I hope for so much for you all.

<3

Your thread was legendary and so helpful to so many people. Despite my complaints about those that abused it, overall it was a very positive thing. I enjoyed it and I'm sure many others did as well. Thank you for starting it and as I mentioned earlier perhaps we can find away to do something similar again.

Oh, and since I can't edit my post above due to the time limit, maybe some of us that enjoyed and or benefited from the Gifting Strangers thread can send @StinVec.3621 some small gifts from us strangers to show our appreciation for starting the thread. :D

Since the old forum is going bye-bye, here is the Wayback machine link to the old forum thread. It is the only capture I could find:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170725021112/https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/players/I-d-really-like-this-Gifting-Strangers

Just thought I'd link that for the sake of history. :)

It can be made in to new ForumsAccording to the Devs post, not long ago, the Edit timegate function will be removed for Everyone with Rank of Member. Such Rank will be automaticly given to the people who paricipated in 5 posts for 3 days Only. Which means prettymuch anyone who used forums for a very little time will be able to Edit their posts whenever.If you want, we could wait a Week or two and recreate the post, I can get a Screenshot of the Original Threads Text and Screenshots of last few Pages to renew the most recent requests and remake it in to the new Post with Exact same "Introduction Text" and with appropriate Credit for the creater.I enjoyed helping people out and I'd like to do something to help this go on.

@Alatar.7364 said:It can be made in to new ForumsAccording to the Devs post, not long ago, the Edit timegate function will be removed for Everyone with Rank of Member. Such Rank will be automaticly given to the people who paricipated in 5 posts for 3 days Only. Which means prettymuch anyone who used forums for a very little time will be able to Edit their posts whenever.If you want, we could wait a Week or two and recreate the post, I can get a Screenshot of the Original Threads Text and Screenshots of last few Pages to renew the most recent requests and remake it in to the new Post with Exact same "Introduction Text" and with appropriate Credit for the creater.I enjoyed helping people out and I'd like to do something to help this go on.

Thank you very much for bringing this update into the thread, @Alatar.7364. If you're willing to grab the last few pages and recreate this thread in a week or two, I think that would be fantastic. I also enjoy helping people out whenever I can.

@crashburntoo.7431 said:

Thank you very much for bringing this update into the thread, @Alatar.7364. If you're willing to grab the last few pages and recreate this thread in a week or two, I think that would be fantastic. I also enjoy helping people out whenever I can.

Already got the Screenshots, kind of missed the Time-back machine posted by JustTrogdor.7892 which is going to be super useful.I'll give it sometime for people to get the Member rank and inform about it in the new thread. However if anybody wishes to recreate the topic themselves or has any ideas let us know.

• 2 weeks later...

The Original Post was Recreated/ Reposted just now as promised.

I'd like to point out, as I did in the remade version of the post, that StinVec.3621 holds any and all the rights to the Original Post and its Idea, should the Author wish for me to Delete and/or Remake/ Repost the Thread, I will do so immidietely and I deeply apologize should this cause any trouble or disrespect for the Author.

@Alatar.7364 said:The Original Post was Recreated/ Reposted just now as promised.

I'd like to point out, as I did in the remade version of the post, that StinVec.3621 holds any and all the rights to the Original Post and its Idea, should the Author wish for me to Delete and/or Remake/ Repost the Thread, I will do so immidietely and I deeply apologize should this cause any trouble or disrespect for the Author.

Excellent news; thank you!

@StinVec.3621, tagging you on this.

Archived