Female Asura Tempest sets off Alexa

@"HazyDaisy.4107" said:Not a bug, just something neat (and sometimes annoying) I stumbled upon recently. Female Asura Tempests when attuned to air, the phrase "charged up" activates Alexa.

I've tried replicating the accent and she doesn't respond to me, but almost every time she responds to my computer.

Does Alexa shoot lightning at everything around your computer? If so I’m getting one of those right now!!?

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Why would anyone freely get a creepy device like Alexa in the first place? :o It's not a "she", it's not even human (just as a small reminder there). "Big Brother is watching you..." :o

I love my Echo Dots. I use them all the time to turn on and off lights around my house, adjust my thermostat, and even arm my home security system. It also connects to my stereo system via Bluetooth so I can tell it to play whatever type of music I'm in the mood for while cleaning or entertaining. Think of something I need from the grocery store, "Alexa add paper towels to my shopping list," and it saves it to my shopping list on my phone. Cooking a meal, "Alexa set a timer for 15 minutes." I use it all the time and given my computers and phones all have built in microphones that "Big Brother" could use to listen in if they wanted, I'm not really worried about the addition of the Echo Dots. They would probably be bored to death listening in on my household anyway. :D

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Why would anyone freely get a creepy device like Alexa in the first place? :o It's not a "she", it's
not
even human (just as a small reminder there). "Big Brother is watching you..." :o

I love my Echo Dots. I use them all the time to turn on and off lights around my house, adjust my thermostat, and even arm my home security system. It also connects to my stereo system via Bluetooth so I can tell it to play whatever type of music I'm in the mood for while cleaning or entertaining. Think of something I need from the grocery store, "Alexa add paper towels to my shopping list," and it saves it to my shopping list on my phone. Cooking a meal, "Alexa set a timer for 15 minutes." I use it all the time and given my computers and phones all have built in microphones that "Big Brother" could use to listen in if they wanted, I'm not really worried about the addition of the Echo Dots. They would probably be bored to death listening in on my household anyway. :D

That is why you would use computers to do the listening as well.

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Why would anyone freely get a creepy device like Alexa in the first place? :o It's not a "she", it's
not
even human (just as a small reminder there). "Big Brother is watching you..." :oI love my Echo Dots. I use them all the time to turn on and off lights around my house, adjust my thermostat, and even arm my home security system. It also connects to my stereo system via Bluetooth so I can tell it to play whatever type of music I'm in the mood for while cleaning or entertaining. Think of something I need from the grocery store, "Alexa add paper towels to my shopping list," and it saves it to my shopping list on my phone. Cooking a meal, "Alexa set a timer for 15 minutes."

Just wait a few years, and Alexa will do the cleaning for you as well. Seriously, that kind of dependency to a machine is really worrisome. Many Alexa owners who, if they had to live without Alexa for two weeks, would already show withdrawal symptoms after just a couple of days. I have seen studies on this very topic.

I use it all the time and given my computers and phones all have built in microphones that "Big Brother" could use to listen in if they wanted, I'm not really worried about the addition of the Echo Dots. They would probably be bored to death listening in on my household anyway. :D

That is the type of unconcern that companies are counting on: "I've got nothing to hide!"

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Why would anyone freely get a creepy device like Alexa in the first place? :o It's not a "she", it's
not
even human (just as a small reminder there). "Big Brother is watching you..." :oI love my Echo Dots. I use them all the time to turn on and off lights around my house, adjust my thermostat, and even arm my home security system. It also connects to my stereo system via Bluetooth so I can tell it to play whatever type of music I'm in the mood for while cleaning or entertaining. Think of something I need from the grocery store, "Alexa add paper towels to my shopping list," and it saves it to my shopping list on my phone. Cooking a meal, "Alexa set a timer for 15 minutes."

Just wait a few years, and Alexa will do the cleaning for you as well. Seriously, that kind of dependency to a machine is really worrisome. Many Alexa owners who, if they had to live without Alexa for two weeks, would already show withdrawal symptoms after just a couple of days. I have seen studies on this very topic.

I use it all the time and given my computers and phones all have built in microphones that "Big Brother" could use to listen in if they wanted, I'm not really worried about the addition of the Echo Dots. They would probably be bored to death listening in on my household anyway. :D

That is the type of unconcern that companies are counting on: "I've got nothing to hide!"

I bet there were people like you who spread doom and gloom about computers becoming more popular. You know, that machine that allows you to play your game and post on these forums. Same thing with Alexa, it's just voice interface for the very same computer you can't imagine your life without.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:Why would anyone freely get a creepy device like Alexa in the first place? :o It's not a "she", it's
not

I certainly wouldn't say I have some kind of "dependency". It is a product that helps me save little bits of time here and there and makes things around the house more convenient. I also have a microwave oven. It helps me save time when preparing certain foods. Would you say "that kind of dependency" should also be worrisome? Did you say the same thing about the Internet when it became common among households, which by the way you are using now and also use to play GW2? I've seen many more studies and actual cases of people addicted to the Internet and computer games. You seem to post a lot about GW2 on these forums. Maybe we should be worried about you? Although I appreciate your concern I assure you that I'll be fine. :)

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

not

I bet there were people like you who spread doom and gloom about computers becoming more popular. You know, that machine that allows you to play your game and post on these forums. Same thing with Alexa, it's just voice interface for the very same computer you can't imagine your life without.

If I don't touch the keyboard, it does nothing. Voice recognition being on all the time has a problem with Context.... which is why up until this point, there was always an activation phrase to avoid VcR from executing off errant conversations. Thats really the biggest flaw in the system that they haven't come close to hammering out yet.... the number of false positives, because the system has a very hard time knowing if a person it actually intending to talk to it or not.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

not

If I don't touch the keyboard, it does nothing. Voice recognition being on all the time has a problem with Context.... which is why up until this point, there was always an activation phrase to avoid VcR from executing off errant conversations. Thats really the biggest flaw in the system that they haven't come close to hammering out yet.... the number of false positives, because the system has a very hard time knowing if a person it actually intending to talk to it or not.

Alexa does still work off an activation phrase, just it's a one word phrase "Alexa". Sure it's not perfect but not like it goes off every 5 seconds trying to wrongly hear something, they're pretty good at filtering out the noise to recognise what you're saying. Like any peripheral for a computer though the earlier versions aren't perfect, even the humble mouse used to have problems with clogging up with dust/hair that you'd have to remove the ball from the bottom and clean it out.

They're pretty damn good at determining what you ask for a new piece of tech.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Why would anyone freely get a creepy device like Alexa in the first place? :o It's not a "she", it's not even human (just as a small reminder there). "Big Brother is watching you..." :o

Hmm ... because it's useful? As for "Big Brother", "they" already know about us than we do LOL. Seriously though, it doesn't bother me as if I want to be private, I can do so by not going into the rooms that have Alexa and if i am really paranoid, turning off the phone and placing it in a Faraday cage type device. Yes ... technology is pervasive and yes, it can and is misused but apart from "getting off the grid" there isn't much you can do. Learn to adapt, to know how to be private when needed :-)

Now with regards to GW2 and Alexa, I will try it out as the Alexa in this gaming room never triggered off voices from GW2. I agree that it would be funny though :-)

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

not

Just like other examples in the history of technology, everything can be improved.

Archived