PoF Extremely High CPU Usage Vs HoT

rexi.1349

Hi Devs! So I've run into a problem (Kind of).

I have a pretty decent bin i5-6600k OCed to 4.6 & Cooled with AIO water cooler, but PoF seems to be coming really close to capping me. I sat at about 45-60% usage in the beta and less than that in HoT.

Here is my PC running basically just GW2 - 64bit.Link to Imgurrrr

All my drivers are up to date and the rest of my specs follow:

• WD 1TB M.2 SSD <-- GW2 runs from this drive
  • EVGA GTX 980ti
  • 16GB DDR4 - something around 11-12-11 - not super fast but deff enough
  • 1k watt EVGA Platinum PSU - <-- Actually might be Corsair. I forget..

I still get 60fps with vsync and more if I turn it off. - Max settings all day erry day.

Plx hlp k thx

@Silverstone.4539 said:well I don't get it. my CPU usage rarely goes over 30% I have a GTX1080, yet my FPS most of the time is 30 or lower?! something is just not right.

Is there a way to force something to do more either CPU or GUP to up my FPS?! i have the power, but the game seems to be refusing to use it.

It's possible you might have vsync on or something that keeps you at 30fps.I'm just going to assume that its like Moon said, big azz maps.

Looks like im upgrading next year!

@moonstarmac.4603 said:That's actually normal. The PoF maps are much larger, thus since GW2 primarily uses the CPU you should notice a higher usage.

So what about when it happens in small maps like the Mistlock sanctuary?

This is happening to me too. My i5-6400T Is sitting at above 75% in a map where there barely is anything.

@abomally.2694 said:You shouldn't really worry about CPU usage when gaming. Back in the days of single-core CPUs, most games would keep the CPU pegged at 100% usage.

It is something to worry about when a game that used to be kind to your computer now makes your whole computer slow down at times even with its CPU priority set to below normal, whereas more graphically intense games still let your computer run just fine. GW2 itself runs great, but the rest of my system is suffering. It is the only game so far that has done this to this computer.

@Kasima.8143 said:

@abomally.2694 said:You shouldn't really worry about CPU usage when gaming. Back in the days of single-core CPUs, most games would keep the CPU pegged at 100% usage.

It is something to worry about when a game that used to be kind to your computer now makes your whole computer slow down at times even with its CPU priority set to below normal, whereas more graphically intense games still let your computer run just fine. GW2 itself runs great, but the rest of my system is suffering. It is the only game so far that has done this to this computer.

This is NORMAL, as was explained to you already. GW2 is very CPU intensive because the CPU is busy translating network information.

Just standing in Cair Shadowfain with four people around me - my quad-core i5 CPU is jumping between 60% and 70% CPU usage and that's all four cores.

There is ONE setting that you can check that may be an issue, but that would only happen if it was changed from the default setting. Check your network card properties and make sure that Interrupt Moderation is enabled. If it is disabled, it will cause your CPU to spend more time translating network packets than is necessary.

There could be other software on your system running in the background that is causing an issue (such as a particular antivirus), but you haven't given us any any information about that.

• 2 weeks later...

@abomally.2694 said:

There is ONE setting that you can check that may be an issue, but that would only happen if it was changed from the default setting. Check your network card properties and make sure that Interrupt Moderation is enabled. If it is disabled, it will cause your CPU to spend more time translating network packets than is necessary.

There could be other software on your system running in the background that is causing an issue (such as a particular antivirus), but you haven't given us any any information about that.

Mine is enabled. Das good. I have a screenshot in my particular post that shows everything I have running that is currently using CPU compute power at that time. GW2 being the bulk of it. I'm finding that the more of the map I have uncovered the less CPU its taking.. I wonder if that might have something to do with streaming assets of some sort?

@Kasima.8143 Have you noticed a drop in CPU usage as you've uncovered more map?

Archived