Using level 80 boost as a Completely new player to GW2

I used one of my level 80 boosts recently, and I am completely lost. I only ever played GW2 up to ~ level 20 in the past. I realize this is expected as a new player to be completely overwhelmed at max level. But, I'm just wondering of any good guides for someone in this position, or is it simply just better to take the time to level a character from 1-80. I'm not new to MMOs, just new to GW2. I finally want to give this game a chance, so any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Leveling is easy, and confortable with the Personal Story, I suggest you just level your first character the old way.If you use your lv 80 boost now, you still will need to go through the proccess of learning to play, learning about your class, learning to move, to attack, to position yourself on combat. Leveling from 1 to 80 its just like the tutorial of the game. Besides there isn't really a rush because the lv 80 content its naturally hard for players that just reach lv80.

Honestly, your best approach is to just park that character and just starting from level 1 and playing through the game regularly. It does not take that long to reach level 80 (maybe 24 hours played on a first character at most).

Finish the first PoF mission to get the raptor unlocked for your account as a movement help.

Try to pick a class which appeals to you:

Easy:warrior, ranger, guardian, necromancer

Intermediate:thief, revenant

Difficult:mesmer, elementalist, engineer

Think of it this way: skipping to level 80 you not only have to get used to the endgame, content and combat basics, you will also get overwhelmed as far as traits, skills and items goes. That is taking on a lot of extra work which was never intended for a player to go through.

Best advice? Don't use the level 80 boost when you're new. Generally the best thing to do is to level normally and fully experience the game that way, probably for more than one character. Then you can use the level 80 boost, so you won't be completely overwhelmed. You'll get a feel for the combat much more easily when you level normally, and there is so much to experience even before you hit max level. There's no rush to level 80, so you're encouraged to just explore and learn as you go.

Also, welcome back! :)

Although starting from 1 and progressing without using the boost would be the best thing to do if you never level'd-up a character normally, it's not everything lost.If you felt the leveling progress too slow, you can keep using your lv80 character. However, I'd stick to the Central Tyria maps for a while.Basically you can play in the starting zones like a new player, learning the basics, but being lv80 you will kill the mobs and complete the quests a bit faster.

• Try to complete every map in Central Tyria, and while doing it, try every weapon available for your class
  • Once you decided which weapon(s) you like, you can spend some time to choose your traits/skill trees (you should already have a decent exotic gear)
  • In the meantime, you can complete your personal story
  • When you feel a bit more confortable with your class and you know a bit more Tyria, you can try to get some mastery point, to unlock new perks in Central Tyria (unlock only the Pact Commander for now, until the autoloot)
  • After this, you can try the expansion(s) you bought

Someone would suggest to find a guild, but it's also good to take your time to explore the game with your own pace, rather than having 50 people telling you what to do, which gear you must farm etc. You can always ask in map chat if you have some question, the community is generally quite helpful, at least in PvE.

Spend some time exploring central Tyria with your level 80. Concentrate on waypoints, hero points and mastery points. You may finish hearts when participating in an event, but don't obsess over them. If you find a heart that is tedious or irritating, by all means skip it. (You don't have to feed the cows if you don't want to.)

The personal story will give you mastery points as well.

Unlock mounts in Path of Fire and, if you have it, gliding in Heart of Thorns.

From there, you can do what you want, either roll up another toon, or keep going with the 80.

Have fun!

keep your 80 boosted and make a couple other characters. I really recommend doing the story. It's enjoyable and well paced. If you are really hardcore and just want to get to end game i can give you some suggestions i wish i knew when i came back a few weeks ago.

going to assume you have HoT or PoF since you got the boost. Get the mount in PoF (it's the first quest and you can just ignore a lot of spoilers) it only takes about 30 min or so. Get gliding in HoT , it takes a bit but helps a ton.

familiarize yourself with some builds - metabattle.com (i use the open world ones as a baseline and then customize them myself).

re-do your hotkeys. Youtube a video on some recommendations.

the game is really choose your own adventure. Exploring is just as rewarding as alot of other activities. WvW is rewarding. Fractals/raids are end game pve. Farming/gathering etc.. THe story is fun and in my 3ish weeks here, it's all i've been doing because the game is just hard to familiarize myself with it and now im really into the lore.

I started off like you. I bought the game in 2012, got a character to 79 or so and haven't looked at the game in like 6 years. I jumped in with an 80 boost and was totally lost. you can't just stand still whacking mobs. So learn your class would be the biggest thing. Learn what the bars mean on mobs, conditions, boons and movement. join a guild if you can. I've been in this game 3 weeks and have zero friends, none, notta , no guild invites. I don't even really know how to socialize other than map chat.

there's like 9million vendors and like 9million currencies. Youtube some of that.

Understand salvaging, trading post and what is worth what. Take a look at some crafting guides.

gw2efficiency.com is a good place to get into the financial management of the game.

leveling is pretty fun so i'd honestly just start there. Jump on your boosted 80 if you feel like you are ready to move forward and want to skip the personal story and what not.

for masteries. go to the lfg icon and look for HP trains (hero point trains). It'll get you all your mastery points pretty quick. I recommend gliding/mounts prior though or you'll be left behind. you could spend a month in HoT trying to get all your points solo as a new player.

the game isn't really a gear grind, so take your time. 80 exotics are perfectly fine for most content and ascendent is still a cluster of confusion for me after 3 weeks.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for these answers! Helps a lot!I am a new player who just bought the expansions. I've played years ago. Never reached lvl20.I was thinking about if boosting to lvl80 would make sense.. glad I was thinking right with keeping the booster.tbh I was a bit upset after I got the boosters. "wat I don't have to lvl at all.."?I am already lost with my lvl13 Necromancer I made a year ago when I was starting again... found out the game was free so I needed a year to relax before buying the expansions :D

@Cyninja.2954 said:Easy:warrior, ranger, guardian, necromancer

Intermediate:thief, revenant

Difficult:mesmer, elementalist, engineer

I disagree with your classification. Elementalist and Engineer do so much damage that the enemy, usually, is dead before you have to worry about your own safety. Also, if you play a melee Ranger or a Guardian (the latter having rather little health), you have to worry about the same fatal issues as playing an Elementalist or Enginneer: it is all about reflexes and movement and using your defenses correctly that decides over life and death.

@"Janman.2317" said:so any and all help is appreciated!

Check out this thread, you might find helpful information there :) , even though your post is almost a year old and you no longer require help ;) :https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/581676#Comment_581676

Elementalist and Engineer are hard to play well.

And anyway - damage output aside - my Elementalist still dies a lot more than any other class I play. And that's with me playing full Berserkers and Open World builds researched on YouTube and MetaBattle and Snowcrows.

Sure, a lot of stuff dies - very fast. But enough still makes it through to face-pound you.

I got a level 80 revenant with (I think) the glider expansion. I already had 4 level 80 avatars, so I understand the game - I was lost on that cat. When you start at the beginning you learn your character abilities and traits as go. With a level 80 boost it is all just there (he even came with max gear). I just had no idea who or what he was. So I took him to Divinity Reach and played the game from the beginning. Did the exploring, the hearts, and just learned what he was. I still do not care much for the character, but I understand him better.