Achievement leaderboard

First things first: The leaderboard doesn't even let you "search", "jump to

" or "jump to last" and I don't think that anyone at Anet has taken a look at the AP leaderboard. Not that I mind but the basic functionalities of a leaderboard would have been nice. Also, I don't think that AP hunting is a competitive thing in this game. The AP are cap'd, so there's a maximum value and I estimate something between 1k and 4k AP are lost forever(LS1, the WvW seasons, who were all very generous). This alone discourages newer players, or players that have been playing "only" for 3.5 years now from really going after it in a competitive way. It's ok though. As a AP hunter I was in it for the armor, the urge hasn't left me after hitting 30k but AP hunting is way more relaxed now, it's just what keepfs me occupied when something new comes out. No need to be better or worse or higher up than anyone.I think the leaderboard might matter to more ppl, if they weren't stuck at "90%" for years/all their playtime. I mean, at the moment I'm somewhere in the EU top1000 and I don't even care much about the leaderboards. One approach, to make the leaderboards more interesting would either be a competitive one, from the top of my head: add a decay system, where accounts might not lose AP but ranking, maybe even remove innactive accounts after n months. Another approach could be, to make the leaderboards more informative. Replacing the "90%" with an actual number would be a first step, maybe add more filters, so you can see how much AP you're missing in WvW for example, or how much AP the top players have accumulated through story achievements....Basically Anet could add the amount of information we have on efficiency only with the difference that it's the official numbers of either all players or all players who agreed to share this information(not a lawyer so I wouldn't know how to set this one up ;) )

@"lokh.2695" said:First things first: The leaderboard doesn't even let you "search", "jump to

" or "jump to last" and I don't think that anyone at Anet has taken a look at the AP leaderboard. Not that I mind but the basic functionalities of a leaderboard would have been nice. Also, I don't think that AP hunting is a competitive thing in this game. The AP are cap'd, so there's a maximum value and I estimate something between 1k and 4k AP are lost forever(LS1, the WvW seasons, who were all very generous). This alone discourages newer players, or players that have been playing "only" for 3.5 years now from really going after it in a competitive way. It's ok though. As a AP hunter I was in it for the armor, the urge hasn't left me after hitting 30k but AP hunting is way more relaxed now, it's just what keepfs me occupied when something new comes out. No need to be better or worse or higher up than anyone.I think the leaderboard might matter to more ppl, if they weren't stuck at "90%" for years/all their playtime. I mean, at the moment I'm somewhere in the EU top1000 and I don't even care much about the leaderboards. One approach, to make the leaderboards more interesting would either be a competitive one, from the top of my head: add a decay system, where accounts might not lose AP but ranking, maybe even remove innactive accounts after n months. Another approach could be, to make the leaderboards more informative. Replacing the "90%" with an actual number would be a first step, maybe add more filters, so you can see how much AP you're missing in WvW for example, or how much AP the top players have accumulated through story achievements....Basically Anet could add the amount of information we have on efficiency only with the difference that it's the official numbers of either all players or all players who agreed to share this information(not a lawyer so I wouldn't know how to set this one up ;) )

Around 4k is accurate at least according to the GW2timers view of my account with past historical content, not to mention the old AP for monthlies(i have roughly 850) and only around 3600 for dailies despite playing for since pre release. I just didnt do them because there wasnt really a point for the longest time.

Excuse my obvious lack of awareness, but: What achievement leaderboard?? :o I didn't even know such a thing existed. And how can new players ever keep up when they can never catch up with those who have been playing frequently from the start and got several AP that are no longer accessable/obtainable?

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Excuse my obvious lack of awareness, but: What achievement leaderboard?? :o I didn't even know such a thing existed. And how can new players ever keep up when they can never catch up with those who have been playing frequently from the start and got several AP that are no longer accessable/obtainable?

Here's the link.ANet implemented the daily/monthly AP cap of 15000 so ppl got a chance to catch up, but they also decided to give way less AP so ppl wouldn't reach the thresholds faster than ANet could produce rewards(it's silly, really it is). What this all boils down to: If a player is actively playing and around 2k AP ahead of you, you will never catch up to them as long as they keep playing. Same is true at the top. The only way I climb up the ladder is if ppl stop playing. All the active playing AP hunters are just as eager to get everything done when a new patch hits, so there's not much possibility to overtake them.

Everyone who started playing GW2 after Season 1 will forever fall behind. I don't get the argument of "catching up" when that argument can be easily debunked. The only reason I can think of is that ANet doesn't want people to reach the current max AP for a very, very long time. And they've been very successful at that. AP distribution these days is so stingy it's a mere fraction of what we had in the beginning of the game. I'd even go so far as to say it can discourage AP farming, since what use is 1, 2 or 3 AP per achievement if you're in the 30k range? Effort vs reward is also quite out of balance when it comes to achievements. That's why I was pleasantly surprised by the AP you can get by playing the Festival of the Four Winds content. I think it gives the most AP out of any annual festival we have. When is the last time we've seen new achievements give out 10, or even 20 AP? That didn't used to be an exception in the first 1 or 2 years of the game. But ever since the expansions AP has become a much rarer commodity.

@Shadowmoon.7986 said:Or wipe the leaderboard with inactive accounts (those who havent logged in for 3 months), and have proper % not just divisions of 10. Currently if you only have 700 ap you are maked at 70%.

This is probably due to seller accounts and those that bought the game on release, then got bored and left.The person with the lowest AP on my friend list has 50 and is at 20% (hasn't played since 2013)Some other stats from the EU Leaderboards:~100 AP is 40%~200 AP is 50%~500 AP is 60%~1000 AP is 70%~1500 AP is 80%~3000 AP is 90%lowest AP top 1000 is 33k

@"lokh.2695" said:First things first: The leaderboard doesn't even let you "search", "jump to

" or "jump to last" and I don't think that anyone at Anet has taken a look at the AP leaderboard.

Press the "Next" button once then you will see on your browser: https://leaderboards.guildwars2.com/en/eu/achievements?page=2Delete that "2" at the end and add a number between 2 and 40. Each page has 25 players and 25*40 = 1000 which is the limit. If you put 41 in the page you will get an Internal Server Error.

@lokh.2695 said:Also, I don't think that AP hunting is a competitive thing in this game. The AP are cap'd, so there's a maximum value and I estimate something between 1k and 4k AP are lost forever(LS1, the WvW seasons, who were all very generous).

By my rough calculations there are 1917 Achievement Points in Season 1 (points that are no longer available, permanent additions go to different categories) There is an amazing total of 3070 Achievement Points from festivals, WvW seasons during the LS1/LS2 period Festival AP continued since then to be unavailble for newer players.

In contrast, Path of Fire was released with 1168 Achievement Points. About 553 Achievement Points have been added since then (excluding festivals) which brings us to a total of 1721 in 10 months, while those 1917 Season 1 achievement were added over 17 months...

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:That's why I was pleasantly surprised by the AP you can get by playing the Festival of the Four Winds content. I think it gives the most AP out of any annual festival we have.That's because those are copies of the original achieves for both festivals, and thus they have the same AP values. And the fact that pretty much anyone can see the difference, only underscores how bad the ap rewards are nowadays.

You can go to page2, and then change the 2 in the URL to a number between 1-40 to jump to pages.

@"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:Everyone who started playing GW2 after Season 1 will forever fall behind. I don't get the argument of "catching up" when that argument can be easily debunked. The only reason I can think of is that ANet doesn't want people to reach the current max AP for a very, very long time. And they've been very successful at that. AP distribution these days is so stingy it's a mere fraction of what we had in the beginning of the game. I'd even go so far as to say it can discourage AP farming, since what use is 1, 2 or 3 AP per achievement if you're in the 30k range? Effort vs reward is also quite out of balance when it comes to achievements. That's why I was pleasantly surprised by the AP you can get by playing the Festival of the Four Winds content. I think it gives the most AP out of any annual festival we have. When is the last time we've seen new achievements give out 10, or even 20 AP? That didn't used to be an exception in the first 1 or 2 years of the game. But ever since the expansions AP has become a much rarer commodity.

Yes, it's impossible to catch up to the top few, but the difference between the 1. and the 1000. player is 6.000 AP, so anyone could still get to top 1000. Making the leaderboard show top 10.000 would let more people, even newer players to get in the top x.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@TheNecrosanct.4028 said:That's why I was pleasantly surprised by the AP you can get by playing the Festival of the Four Winds content. I think it gives the most AP out of any annual festival we have.That's because those are copies of the original achieves for both festivals, and thus they have the same AP values. And the fact that pretty much anyone can see the difference, only underscores how bad the ap rewards are nowadays.

Yeah, I know they are copies from the original. What surprised me is that they kept them, and their respective AP values, since AP hasn't been handed out like that for years now. And to add to newer players not being able to catch up: if you were there the first time for the Queen's Gauntlet, did the achievements then and do them now, you effectively have them twice. I just checked the Historical achievements category and found out they even increased the AP gained for killing the Blitz bosses (1 AP the first time around, now 3 per boss).

The point is that all these things make it impossible for anyone who started after to catch up.

@Verrier.5870 said:

@"TheNecrosanct.4028" said:Everyone who started playing GW2 after Season 1 will forever fall behind. I don't get the argument of "catching up" when that argument can be easily debunked. The only reason I can think of is that ANet doesn't want people to reach the current max AP for a very, very long time. And they've been very successful at that. AP distribution these days is so stingy it's a mere fraction of what we had in the beginning of the game. I'd even go so far as to say it can discourage AP farming, since what use is 1, 2 or 3 AP per achievement if you're in the 30k range? Effort vs reward is also quite out of balance when it comes to achievements. That's why I was pleasantly surprised by the AP you can get by playing the Festival of the Four Winds content. I think it gives the most AP out of any annual festival we have. When is the last time we've seen new achievements give out 10, or even 20 AP? That didn't used to be an exception in the first 1 or 2 years of the game. But ever since the expansions AP has become a much rarer commodity.

Yes, it's impossible to catch up to the top few, but the difference between the 1. and the 1000. player is 6.000 AP, so anyone could still get to top 1000. Making the leaderboard show top 10.000 would let more people, even newer players to get in the top x.

Yeah, but what's the point in that? So lets say you're number 999 on the leaderboard. I don't remember anyone ever being happy about being on the bottom of the top list. Expand the list and being 999 out of 10.000 is still pretty low on the list. And the difference between 999 and first place will probably be a few thousand AP. What use is a leaderboard if you add the majority of the community to the list? It loses all meaning when you do that. When it comes to leaderboards, personally only the Top 10 are of interest, for as far as leaderboards are interesting. Everything below number 10 is just the masses. Being number 1 (or high on any list) is a matter of ego and prestige anyway. People who just play the game for fun and relaxation (am I presumptuous in saying that's our first reason for playing any game?) don't care for such things. And they are usually the majority.

AP Leaderboard is a bit of a joke, really. If you didn't play living world season 1 completely. Just forget it, you'll never catch up.They gave a lot more AP for achievements back before Season 3 and HoT than they do currently. And those loads of AP are locked from everyone else, so it's highly unlikely that a new player (anyone that joined post Season 1 ended) can catch up to the leaderboard.

I was into competitive AP at first years ago.. but I fell behind in Lw1 due to crap PC and some of the episodes being unplayable for me.Kept my AP as high as I could over the years typically finding myself only a few hundred points behind some people I played with.Then the megaserver came along and I was finding people with almost 10k more Ap that me and I completely give up and idea of trying to compete with them XD

With my missed historical AP and the fact that I don't play pvp or wvw I simply don't have a hope in hell of closing that kind of gap.So I just play and grab all the AP I can.

@lokh.2695 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Excuse my obvious lack of awareness, but: What achievement leaderboard?? :o I didn't even know such a thing existed. And how can new players ever keep up when they can never catch up with those who have been playing frequently from the start and got several AP that are no longer accessable/obtainable?Here's the

Ah, thank you! :) Wow, really didn't know of its existence, even though I bought the game at release, heh.

@Teratus.2859 said:With my missed historical AP and the fact that I don't play pvp or wvw I simply don't have a hope in hell of closing that kind of gap.So I just play and grab all the AP I can.

And you should. I find the existence of such a leaderboard rather ridiculous, to be honest. The game should be fun to play, not a competition. What do you gain anyway if you are at its top?

P.S. The amount of AP should be raised again, though, for the rewards alone. Sometimes I find myself doing really challenging stuff and getting a ridiculously low amount of AP for it. The next reward chest often seems quite far away, although I rarely bother to check. If not giving more AP than give more material rewards to those trying to do every achievement available? ;) Yes, many are fun, and that is a reward in itself, but something in addition for the effort feels twice as rewarding.

@Ashantara.8731 said:And you should. I find the existence of such a leaderboard rather ridiculous, to be honest. The game should be fun to play, not a competition. What do you gain anyway if you are at its top?

Nothing but status and bragging rights though I don't personally care for the bragging rights lolI guess it simply a unique prestigious thing I would like to have.With the excess of legendary weapons there are just so few things in the game that are deserving of being called rare or prestigious..

If I was say.. rank 50 highest AP in the game that would be something I could be happy about.. nobody else could be rank 50 the same time I am.. they'd have to beat my points to take it from me.. which is a far more enjoyable form of competitiion for me as someone who doesn't typically like pvp based gameplay.

Alas It's not ment to be lolIm content with being the guy in the party with the highest AP that newer players can rely on to help them out anyway.. as well as someone with typically unique looking characters that tend to stand out.

The most likely change that ANet would make to the leaderboard would be to disable it. It's the cheapest possible approach. Any other update would require deciding what they want the leaderboard to do, planning for its evolution, coding, testing, implementing, & maintaining the new board. All those costs for... almost no benefit to the majority of players who don't care about or don't want a leaderboard.

@"Verrier.5870" said:Yes, it's impossible to catch up to the top few, but the difference between the 1. and the 1000. player is 6.000 AP, so anyone could still get to top 1000. Making the leaderboard show top 10.000 would let more people, even newer players to get in the top x.

I can think of one very important reason not to update the list to 10k or any other number: it will allow clever players to find out active player numbers. The higher the number, the better the chance to "Game the system".

@"ReaverKane.7598" said:AP Leaderboard is a bit of a joke, really. If you didn't play living world season 1 completely. Just forget it, you'll never catch up.They gave a lot more AP for achievements back before Season 3 and HoT than they do currently. And those loads of AP are locked from everyone else, so it's highly unlikely that a new player (anyone that joined post Season 1 ended) can catch up to the leaderboard.

It's not the Season 1 achievements that form the bulk of the missing AP. It's the festivals and even now the festivals remain the only reason newer players cannot catch up, unless the older players stop playing of course. That's how new players can "Catch up", play as many festivals as the older ones and they will surpass those that are no longer playing. It's a matter of how many festivals you've finished and I guess that's by design, it shows that those at the top of list are those that have been active for more festivals than anyone else.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:The most likely change that ANet would make to the leaderboard would be to disable it. It's the cheapest possible approach. Any other update would require deciding what they want the leaderboard to do, planning for its evolution, coding, testing, implementing, & maintaining the new board. All those costs for... almost no benefit to the majority of players who don't care about or don't want a leaderboard.Sadly they would probably rather delete it than improve it in any way. Just like 80%+ of the rest of the game.

Archived