New Bag Slot vs 24-, 28-, & 32-slot Bags

PoF finally introduces bigger bags for personal inventory, allowing for 24-, 28, and 32-slot bags. For those who think they are desperate for space, how do the costs compare? This post offers four scenarios:

• Adding 24 slots by upgrading four 18-slots to 24-slot: ~124g = ~5g per added slot
  • Adding 20 slots by adding a New Bag Slot: 132g max = ~6.6g/slot
  • Adding 30 slots by upgrading three 18-slots to 28-slot: 267g = 8.9g/slot
  • Adding 28 slots by converting two 18-slot bags to 32-slot: ~460 gold = 16.4g/slot

Only you can decide if these costs are worth the extra space.

Research Notes

Costs

Additional Notes

These costs don't include the recipes (1-5g currently) or take into account market fluctuations (material prices are low at the moment, the Supreme Runes of Holding are high). They do assume that you'll sell off any liberated 18-slot bags, for about 2g each post fees.

Caveat

There's not a player among us who would refuse extra storage. The question is: what are we willing to pay for it? There are a variety of options: adding bank space, buying character slots for 'mules', buying a personal storage guild, and increasing the amount of inventory space on a single character via more bag slots or bigger bags. This post only attempts to compare the last two. This is just about the only apples-to-apples comparison available, since all other options trade off convenience to reduce costs.

I find those large bags unneccessary as I already have enough "travel storage" for all of my characters and would prefer more Bank storage instead.

In PoF, I rarely even get one 20-slot bag filled, especially with all the salvage tools in Shared Inventory Slots. Travel storage in not an issue for me and hasn't been in the past, either. The only time ever I encountered a travel storage issue was in HoT's large meta event in Auric Basin (not even in Dragon's Stand!).

It’s a great option to have more storage, but to be honest, I’ve been managing just fine with the original bag numbers, maybe 10 shared slots (mostly salvaging and wvw stuff), original 20 slot pack, one 18 slot invisible bag, and the balance of regular 18 slot bags. Then again, you have to be really diligent about salvaging and consuming the new PoF stuff as you run, and selling as often to vendors as you come across them.

I'm the same. I've never even bought the extra bag slots from the gem store, and I only have 20 slot bags when I can get them cheap/free. Most of mine come from collecting candy corn in my home instance, converting it to cobs and buying a bag when I have enough. Others are from achievements or events like the karka shell box and the bandit purse. I'm not opposed to buying 20 slot bags, it's just that there's such a jump in price between 18 and 20 slot bags that I always find myself deciding I'd rather miss out on 2 slots and spend the gold on something else instead.

As I result I can't see myself buying the bigger bags unless they get a lot cheaper and/or I run out of other things to buy...and that's never going to happen.

You see my friend you lack ambition! If you go without food, medicine and shelter for a month you can wisely use that money to buy gems in the Trading Post so you can afford 24, 28, 30 and 32 slot bags because you're too lazy to clear out your 12 slot bags! Well if the price is too rich for your tastes then waste money on buying more personal bag slots for everyone of your toons then purchase 4 slot bags (1 silver) to equip!

Archived