Revival of historical achievment points.

Alot of people are upset for a long time about all the historical achievments and achievment points they missed out during LS1 and LS2. I have been thinking of ways of how we would be able to introduce these back and i found one simple possible solution. Since LS1 will most likely not come back, there is no way to introduce the achievments connected to it however we can introduce the achievment points which those achievments had.

DAILY HISTORICAL ACHIEVMENTS

These achievment, just like normal dailies would have a cap. The cap would be the exact number of total available achievment points, which belong under historical achievments. Soo that includes whole LS1, all past festivals, WvW seasons, pvp and other historical achievments like mini collections, tips etc.Every player would already have progress towards that cap. All of the historical points the player has achieved would be turned into these daily historical points instead. So if the cap is.. lets say: 4650 ap (idk what the current cap is since efficiency doesnt show it anymore) and the player achieved a total of 2329 historical achievment points, he could get another 2321 points from historical dailies.A player would be able to get "X" amount of achievment points every day doing these historical dailies. During festivals, there would be some extra available, getting 1 point for every festival daily done (this was also the case in the past, it went towards normal dailies though).

How would the historical dailies look like ?Well, they would be connected to past events, mainly LS1. The player would need to do 3 different historical dailies to get the daily ap.Here are a few dailies i quickly came up with:

• Complete Aetherpath in Twilight Arbor
  • Defeat Mai Trin in Fractals of the Mists
  • Defeat Molten Duo In Fractals of the Mists
  • Explore the Aetherblade Fractal
  • Explore the Molten Furnace Fractal
  • Explore the Nightmare Fractal
  • Kill 10 Aetherblades
  • Kill 10 Toxic Alliance members
  • Kill 10 Molten Alliance members
  • Watch a vista above the Twisted Marionette
  • Watch a vista in Lion's Arch
  • Watch a vista in Kessex Hills
  • Destroy a Toxic Offshoot
  • Kill a Champion Toxic Spider Queen
  • Kill a Champion Toxic Alchemist
  • Eat 5 Pieces of Zhaitaffy
  • Salvage 1 Salvageable Aetherized Metal Scrap
  • Salvage 1 Salvageable Fused Metal Scrap
  • Answer some npc some lore question ?

To make these dailies even more appealing, for every daily done you would get a "History token". These tokens could be later traded for Season 1 Memory Boxes or some other items from the past.The only thing worrysome might be that some people would be unhappy about their past progress and effort put into those achievments. The people that achieved over 90,80,70%... of total historical ap would get some special titles, memory boxes idk. But since the number of people that have all historical achievments is most likely less than 10 (possibly only 1 person has all?) they should be already satistied being able to finaly get the missing points.

Well, thats it. I belive this could solve at least 1 problem regarding LS1 and make alot of achievment hunters happy. This could possibly also revive the "competitive" scene when it comes to ap hunting.

@"Glider.5792" said:This could possibly also revive the "competitive" scene when it comes to ap hunting.

You mean make sure everyone has the exact same amount of AP right?There are 3 types of missing achievements:1) Discontinued achievements that are no longer available2) Living World Season 13) Festival

I put them in order of importance here. The first one is achievements like "hint completer" and the old miniature collection achievements that can no longer be completed. Those achievements were removed and in some cases a new "version" was added, but the old ap remain there forever unobtainable. I think finding a way to "refund" this, maybe through the daily system, is a good idea.

The second is achievements of Season 1. To be perfectly honest, I'm on the fence about these, because adding a way to get these, means officially removing any possibility of Season 1 ever coming back. I know it's been years and nothing happened, but this would certainly put a nail on that idea forever. Which is why I'm 50-50 on this one.

And finally festivals. Given how CURRENT festivals also have achievements that are only available for their duration and then go away, I don't think making old festival achievements available again is a good idea, or something that would happen anyway. Festival achievements show that you were there during said festival and is a good way to show which player has been there for many of the game's festivals and who wasn't.

@Glider.5792 said:Every player would already have progress towards that cap. All of the historical points the player has achieved would be turned into these daily historical points instead. So if the cap is.. lets say: 4650 ap (idk what the current cap is since efficiency doesnt show it anymore) and the player achieved a total of 2329 historical achievment points, he could get another 2321 points from historical dailies.

Before Heart of Thorns the stats were as follows:4987 Achievement Points in the Historical category.3070 are from Festivals1917 are from Season 1

@maddoctor.2738 said:The second is achievements of Season 1. To be perfectly honest, I'm on the fence about these, because adding a way to get these, means officially removing any possibility of Season 1 ever coming back. I know it's been years and nothing happened, but this would certainly put a nail on that idea forever. Which is why I'm 50-50 on this one.

I was thinking the same thing. I really want Season 1 to come back, but I want the whole thing back as a replayable story like Season 2 onwards. I'm concerned that the more little bits we get, whether that's the AP added to dailies or Fractals of certain fights or whatever the less likely it is that they'll bring the whole thing back, and all those little bits dotted around the game just aren't the same.

Unless Anet tells us there is absolutely zero chance that Season 1 will ever come back, that they're 100% sure they will never do it because even if they had the time they would use it to do something else instead. But even then, it's Anet. I've lost count of the number of times their plans have changed and things they said they had no intention of doing have actually happened.

@maddoctor.2738 said:And finally festivals. Given how CURRENT festivals also have achievements that are only available for their duration and then go away, I don't think making old festival achievements available again is a good idea, or something that would happen anyway. Festival achievements show that you were there during said festival and is a good way to show which player has been there for many of the game's festivals and who wasn't.

As you wrote in other reply, 3070 ap from past festival is WAY too much missed out achievments points, almost for 3 expansions. The achievments do show that we were there when they happened, and they will always do that. There are also special titles we got (like wintersday titles). However for the points there should be another way of getting the back imo, thats just a bit too many.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:The second is achievements of Season 1. To be perfectly honest, I'm on the fence about these, because adding a way to get these, means officially removing any possibility of Season 1 ever coming back. I know it's been years and nothing happened, but this would certainly put a nail on that idea forever. Which is why I'm 50-50 on this one.

I was thinking the same thing. I really want Season 1 to come back, but I want the whole thing back as a replayable story like Season 2 onwards. I'm concerned that the more little bits we get, whether that's the AP added to dailies or Fractals of certain fights or whatever the less likely it is that they'll bring the whole thing back, and all those little bits dotted around the game just aren't the same.

Unless Anet tells us there is absolutely zero chance that Season 1 will ever come back, that they're 100% sure they will never do it because even if they had the time they would use it to do something else instead. But even then, it's Anet. I've lost count of the number of times their plans have changed and things they said they had no intention of doing have actually happened.

I honestly lost hope on LS1. Alot of LS1 content became now either a fractal (molten, aetherblade, nightmare, making it 5 different fractals covering 3 important parts of LS1) or a festival (SAB, festival of the four winds). I wished there would be some new kind of fractals, which would be for squads with whom you could do past events (Battle for Lions Arch, Twisted Marionette battle etc). I do not belive there is any other way for the rest of LS1 to come back.

@Glider.5792 said:

I honestly lost hope on LS1. Alot of LS1 content became now either a fractal (molten, aetherblade, nightmare, making it 5 different fractals covering 3 important parts of LS1) or a festival (SAB, festival of the four winds). I wished there would be some new kind of fractals, which would be for squads with whom you could do past events (Battle for Lions Arch, Twisted Marionette battle etc). I do not belive there is any other way for the rest of LS1 to come back.

That's really not a lot of Season 1. I've not played the Nightmare Fractal but the Molten and Aetherblade ones, even if you combine both Fractals they don't cover the entire dungeon and the dungeon was just 1 part of each release. That's like saying you've had Christmas because you opened a present. The Festival of the Four Winds is more complete, but still just 1 release. Not counting festivals and SAB there were 19 releases in Season 1 so there's a huge amount of content still missing.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"maddoctor.2738" said:The second is achievements of Season 1. To be perfectly honest, I'm on the fence about these, because adding a way to get these, means officially removing any possibility of Season 1 ever coming back. I know it's been years and nothing happened, but this would certainly put a nail on that idea forever. Which is why I'm 50-50 on this one.

That's really not a lot of Season 1. I've not played the Nightmare Fractal but the Molten and Aetherblade ones, even if you combine both Fractals they don't cover the entire dungeon and the dungeon was just 1 part of each release. That's like saying you've had Christmas because you opened a present. The Festival of the Four Winds is more complete, but still just 1 release. Not counting festivals and SAB there were 19 releases in Season 1 so there's a huge amount of content still missing.

I honestly dont find much else regarding Season 1 that important though. Season 1 updates were realy small untill the final 4 or 5. Gonna quickly go through all main storylines written on the wiki;

• Shadow of the Mad King: Festival, already here
  • The Lost Shores: Was a one time event, brought new map, nothing missing here
  • Wintersday: The Wondrous Workshop of Toymaker Tixx: Festival, already here
  • Flame and Frost: Had few events in Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau. Few story instances and the main thing, the dungeon. Dungeon is 90% accessible through fractals
  • Super Adventure Box: Festival, already here
  • The Secret of Southsun: Brought few extra events on map, and a bit of story instances
  • Last Stand at Southsun: Same as above, most of stuff stayed
  • Dragon Bash: Was tehnicaly a festival, had a tiny bit of story (if i remember correctly). Could be brought back as a festival
  • Sky Pirates of Tyria: We got a dungeon, which is fully accessible through fractals (yes, whole map is explorable)
  • Bazaar of the Four Winds: Festival, already here
  • Cutthroat Politics: We had that election going on, would have no impact anymore now
  • Queen's Jubilee: Festival, already here. We had few story instances though.
  • Clockwork Chaos: We had those events happening across multiple maps. Impossible to get back since it was happening real time. Maybe with help of "squad fractals"
  • Super Adventure Box: Back to School: Festival, already here
  • Tequatl Rising: World boss changed, already here
  • Twilight Assault: Dungeon path changed, already here
  • Blood and Madness: Festival, already here
  • Tower of Nightmares: The map of Kessex hills got changed, got few new events, maybe some story instances ?
  • The Nightmares Within: We got the tower map and few story instances. The tower became a fractal now, its not the same, but it does its job.
  • Fractured: We got LS1 fractals.
  • A Very Merry Wintersday: Festival, already here

This is now where it gets interesting:

• The Origins of Madness: We got the Marionette battle. This NEEDS to come back in some way. It was one of best things from LS1 and should be returned somehow.
  • The Edge of the Mists: Got a new map, still here, otherwise pointless patch.
  • Escape from Lion's Arch: Lions Arch got destroyed, we had events in destroyed Lions Arch. Should come back as some past event "squad fractals"
  • Battle for Lion's Arch: New events in Lions Arch, Battle on the Breachmaker!!!. The Battle on the Breachmaker NEEDS to come back yet again possibly as "squad fractals".

Soo, thats it when it comes to LS1. If we look at it most of content is already present in the current game, just in a different shape. The only events that needs to come back are imo: The Origins of Madness, Escape from Lion's Arch and Battle for Lion's Arch. If you would try to bring back the whole LS1, alot of stuff would not make sense. Multiple things would basicaly be duplicated. The story instances could be brought back somehow, but without the actualy world changing they wouldnt have the same appeal. Everything would also have to be instanced which is another story.

@Glider.5792 said:

@maddoctor.2738 said:And finally festivals. Given how CURRENT festivals also have achievements that are only available for their duration and then go away, I don't think making old festival achievements available again is a good idea, or something that would happen anyway. Festival achievements show that you were there during said festival and is a good way to show which player has been there for many of the game's festivals and who wasn't.

As you wrote in other reply, 3070 ap from past festival is WAY too much missed out achievments points, almost for 3 expansions. The achievments do show that we were there when they happened, and they will always do that. There are also special titles we got (like wintersday titles). However for the points there should be another way of getting the back imo, thats just a bit too many.

First of all. 3070 AP is not as much as 3 expansions, in fact it's less than how many we got from Heart of Thorns + Season 3 alone because we got a great 4282 AP total from that, excluding Black Lion collections and festivals and including the Legendary Weapons. 4282 is above 3070. And I'm saying again, this excludes festivals released after Heart of Thorns (There are quite a lot of them). Path of Fire has given us 1842 AP so far, but Heart of Thorns gave us 4282 over 2 years, while we aren't even 1 year past the Path of Fire release.

Second, you get some of the titles from running the later versions of the festivals (like beating Liadri again gives the same title).

If I could I'd add up the festival counts from the period between Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire but Arenanet gave some of them the same names, so it's impossible to tell, even in-game, which festival was when and how AP it gave. There have been 6 Festivals in that period, 2 of each Shadow of the Mad King, Wintersday and Super Adventure Box

@maddoctor.2738 said:

First of all. 3070 AP is not as much as 3 expansions, in fact it's less than how many we got from Heart of Thorns + Season 3 alone because we got a great
AP total from that, excluding Black Lion collections and festivals and including the Legendary Weapons. 4282 is above 3070. And I'm saying again, this excludes festivals released after Heart of Thorns (There are quite a lot of them). Path of Fire has given us 1842 AP so far, but Heart of Thorns gave us 4282 over 2 years, while we aren't even 1 year past Path of Fire.

Second, you get some of the titles from running the later versions of the festivals (like beating Liadri again gives the same title).

When it comes to titles, im talking about Seasoned Toymaker and Journeyman Toymaker. If i recall correctly these 2 were only available during those specific festivals. There were probably more but these 2 are the ones that pop up in my mind first.As for AP, im talking just the Expansion, not counting LS. Achievments purely connected to the expansion story and their maps. So for PoF: Path of Fire and Path of Fire Act 1/2/3.

@Glider.5792 said:When it comes to titles, im talking about Seasoned Toymaker and Journeyman Toymaker. If i recall correctly these 2 were only available during those specific festivals. There were probably more but these 2 are the ones that pop up in my mind first.As for AP, im talking just the Expansion, not counting LS. Achievments purely connected to the expansion story and their maps. So for PoF: Path of Fire and Path of Fire Act 1/2/3.

Not all titles are like that though, other than those Wintersday ones, they repeat each festival.

As for the AP. Why? To get those 3070 AP from the S1 festivals 19 months passed, from October 2012 (first festival) up to May 2014 (last festival) Those AP weren't all available on release day either they were released gradually over nearly 2 years.Compared to the time period between Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire (~23 months) that we got 4282 AP

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

• The Origins of Madness: We got the Marionette battle. This NEEDS to come back in some way. It was one of best things from LS1 and should be returned somehow.

It was especially good experience when 1 or 2 incompetent players could destroy efforts of whole zerg. Great times indeed.

if the current festival and even bounties taught me anything: it has become even worse. Open world group content really is a form of anger management education :)

@Algreg.3629 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

@"Glider.5792" said:

It was especially good experience when 1 or 2 incompetent players could destroy efforts of whole zerg. Great times indeed.

if the current festival and even bounties taught me anything: it has become even worse. Open world group content really is a form of anger management education :)

Well, most people in zergs still dont know how to properly cc, and dont realy work towards doing proper dps. Alot are basicaly brain afk since you can "eventualy" finish just by autoatacking/pressing random buttons.

It's probably down to a matter of dev resources, but I don't see why at least the instances couldn't come back, maybe with a letter explaining the intervening live parts that can't be recreated. Sure it wouldn't make complete sense, but it would be better than right now where the S1 story is missing entirely with a single cutscene that barely scratches the surface. They could even put it in in place of a new LW chapter. I'm sure people wouldn't mind playing a "historical" chapter as long as there were some rewards.Duel with Canach -> Rox's intro in Nolan -> Braham's intro in Cragstead -> Scarlet's attack on the pavilion -> Tower of Nightmares intro instance -> Fight with Toxic Hybrid

Maybe cap it off with a "Battle for Lion's Arch" fractal for some closure. That would at least hit the high points and give us our intro to the LS crew.

@Malediktus.9250 said:I do not like this idea, would be way too easy get all historical AP then

Despite that Anet clearly has no intent for people to get all historical AP, otherwise they would not have copy and pasted the queens gauntlet achievements for example

Well, if they can't be obtained, then ANet should scuttle all the permanent AP and rebuild it from completed achievements that can be achieved.Keep the historical achievements as Historical, like with Feats of Strength in WoW, maybe apply some unique titles as proof, but we're definitely overdue for an AP revamp.,including a 'balance pass' on the achievement point values.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Malediktus.9250 said:I do not like this idea, would be way too easy get all historical AP then

Despite that Anet clearly has no intent for people to get all historical AP, otherwise they would not have copy and pasted the queens gauntlet achievements for example

Well, if they can't be obtained, then ANet should scuttle all the permanent AP and rebuild it from completed achievements that
can
be achieved.Keep the historical achievements as Historical, like with Feats of Strength in WoW,
maybe
apply some unique titles as proof, but we're definitely overdue for an AP revamp.,including a 'balance pass' on the achievement point values.

They also need to rework the achievement point armor sets, they look like they are stuck in 2012 and don't do the amount of effort required justice in any way. I am only like 800 AP away from the backpack, but despite the work required for them, I doubt I will use them. They just look like garbage compared to most ascended/legendary backpacks.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

Well, if they can't be obtained, then ANet should scuttle all the permanent AP and rebuild it from completed achievements that
can
be achieved.Keep the historical achievements as Historical, like with Feats of Strength in WoW,
maybe
apply some unique titles as proof, but we're definitely overdue for an AP revamp.,including a 'balance pass' on the achievement point values.

They also need to rework the achievement point armor sets, they look like they are stuck in 2012 and don't do the amount of effort required justice in any way. I am only like 800 AP away from the backpack, but despite the work required for them, I doubt I will use them. They just look like garbage compared to most ascended/legendary backpacks.

I just hope that the "insert secret infusion name here" actualy is an achievment reward. Otherwise it will just be a slap in the face.

@Malediktus.9250 said:

can
maybe

They also need to rework the achievement point armor sets, they look like they are stuck in 2012 and don't do the amount of effort required justice in any way. I am only like 800 AP away from the backpack, but despite the work required for them, I doubt I will use them. They just look like garbage compared to most ascended/legendary backpacks.The same with first 4 armor pieces. For hellfire, at least, those are of way lower quality than chest/legs. It can be easily seen that the last two pieces were done after some time and not right away as parts of the same set.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

can
maybe

They also need to rework the achievement point armor sets, they look like they are stuck in 2012 and don't do the amount of effort required justice in any way. I am only like 800 AP away from the backpack, but despite the work required for them, I doubt I will use them. They just look like garbage compared to most ascended/legendary backpacks.The same with first 4 armor pieces. For hellfire, at least, those are of way lower quality than chest/legs. It can be easily seen that the last two pieces were done after some time and not right away as parts of the same set.

The hellfire helmet still clips horribly on asuras and charr. After all these years they still didnt get a fix..They Just need to remove the ears/horns while the helmet is on.

@Glider.5792 said:

can
maybe

The hellfire helmet still clips horribly on asuras and charr. After all these years they still didnt get a fix..They Just need to remove the ears/horns while the helmet is on.

The hellfire helmet does remove the horns and ears on charr though. it looks awful because it doesnt cover the entire neck though.

I'm just glad I'm not a new player coming into this game and finding out I can never catch up to veterans in AP, no matter how hard I try. The AP system in this game is a flawed, it's been a flawed since LS1 and when they removed the possibility of earning certain achievements, leaving a huge hole in the AP system. I think it's unlikely now that they will ever fix the issue.

Archived