The Next Elite Spec; What Is Engineer Missing? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The Next Elite Spec; What Is Engineer Missing?

Comments

• A healing focused engineer wouldnt really be interesting unless it was a RNG boon alchemist imo. At that point just buff elixirs.

• Milan.9035Milan.9035 Member ✭✭✭

I am seeing a staff lighting focused high range and damage espec.

If i had to bet this would be it.

I would really be pissed if it was healing or something ai like turrets or gyros.

• @Frostmane.9734 said:
    This won't be a fun answer, but I personally hope they don't develop another e-spec and use the energy to revamp core specs. There are tons for fun builds, across all professions, that the core game had that are just unplayable now. Let's get some remediation and build diversity before we expand again.

i would love to see that they add a new weapon for all base classes...
    And a new set of traits and utillity skills
    Not with the next expansion.. (expansions are for elite specs)
    But with the release of season 5...
    This indeed would be the right moment to do so...

I would be nice if the engineer could get a new utility skills in every cattegory.. and finally a gadget elite...
    As weapon i would love to see a long bow...

• @Milan.9035 said:

@Bomboed.5697 said:

Elite spec: Technomancer

Role: Long range constant damage DPS / melee range bunker-bruiser.

Weapon - Staff

1200 range power-based weapon.
    Staff is an electricity based weapon that has it's own unique mechanic - Conduction.
    Some staff skills apply Conduction on enemies while others benefit from it. Conduction can be applied on multiple targets to create Electrical Circuit between them. Some staff attack can chain between targets in Electrical Circuit or their strength can depend on number of targets in Electrical Circuit.
    Examples:

• Skill #1 is main attack that damages main target with lighting, applies and refreshes Conduction and chains to other targets with Conduction.
    • Skill #2 is attack that launches a ball of lighting at target and than bounces between all nearby targets with Conduction. Each time when this attack damages target it also applies Vulnerability. Can damage the same target X number of times. After final bounce from enemy the ball bounces back to Engineer and gives him stack of Might for each applied stack of Vulnerability.
    • Skill #3 is main way to apply Conduction on multiple targets at once. It is a ground targeted ability with a little delay that damages multiple enemies and applies Conduction and Cripple on them.
    • Skill #4 is heavy burst single target attacks, that clears all Conduction stacks on targets around main target and deals damage and immobilizes target. Damage and immobilize duration are based on number of cleared Conduction effects.
    • Skill #5 is ability that teleports Engineer in targeted location, clears Conduction from all enemies and grants Engineer X amount of Absorb shield for each cleared Conduction.

New ability type - Device

Device are ground target abilities similar to Wells, but all Devices have 3 effects:

• Initial effects that activates when Device is deployed
    • Persistent effect that is pulses while Device is active
    • Final effect that activates when Device duration expires

Example:
    Gravity Polarizator: places Device in targeted location that pulls all enemies towards it after a brief delay and then pulses damage and stacks of Vulnerability. When Device duration expires it knocks all enemies away.

New class mechanic - Mech-suit

All weapon skills generate Power Charge. This Power Charge acts like a second health bar similar to Necro's Death Shroud when Mech is activated by F5 key. F5 is a 1200 range Leap, which helps to engage melee combat after fighting at long range with Staff. Power Charge depletes by taking damage.
    Mech-suit skills are mostly melee, but with some range options. Mech attacks are slow, powerful, most of them has fairly long CDs. A lot of skills has a CC components like knock-back or knockdown.
    All Toolbelt skills are changed to special Mech-suit skills called Overdrive. Each Overdrive skill has a very powerful effect, but can be used only once per Mech-suit summon. This limitation engages players to switch between normal mode and Mech mode more frequently.
    Engineer in Mech-suit mode is quite tanky due to second HP bar in form of Power Charge, but staying too long in this mode costs a dps loss due too long CDs.
    Pressing F5 key when Mech is active engages a Self-Destruction sequence and allows Engineer to leap away. Self-Destruction destroys Mech and consumes all Power Charge. Self-Destruction deals a lot of AoE damage by default, but can have more effects with special Traits. Self-Destruction effect are more powerful if more Power Charge consumed.
    Self-Destruction triggers automatically when all Power Charge is depleted, but with very weak effect.
    Self-Destruction has a short time window that allows player to choose where to leap away.

PROS:

• Reliable long range option
    • Good constant damage with a little CC options
    • Good sustain and bunker potential with Mech-suit
    • Engaging gameplay that encourages constant switching between long range damaging and close range tanking and CCing
    • No AI involved

CONS:

• Fairly long CDs
    • Toolbelt skills are locked in Mech-suit mode
    • Mech-suit attacks are slow and readable in PvP
  • Milan.9035Milan.9035 Member ✭✭✭

@Bomboed.5697 said:

@Milan.9035 said:

@Bomboed.5697 said:

Elite spec: Technomancer

Role: Long range constant damage DPS / melee range bunker-bruiser.

Weapon - Staff

1200 range power-based weapon.
    Staff is an electricity based weapon that has it's own unique mechanic - Conduction.
    Some staff skills apply Conduction on enemies while others benefit from it. Conduction can be applied on multiple targets to create Electrical Circuit between them. Some staff attack can chain between targets in Electrical Circuit or their strength can depend on number of targets in Electrical Circuit.
    Examples:

• Skill #1 is main attack that damages main target with lighting, applies and refreshes Conduction and chains to other targets with Conduction.
    • Skill #2 is attack that launches a ball of lighting at target and than bounces between all nearby targets with Conduction. Each time when this attack damages target it also applies Vulnerability. Can damage the same target X number of times. After final bounce from enemy the ball bounces back to Engineer and gives him stack of Might for each applied stack of Vulnerability.
    • Skill #3 is main way to apply Conduction on multiple targets at once. It is a ground targeted ability with a little delay that damages multiple enemies and applies Conduction and Cripple on them.
    • Skill #4 is heavy burst single target attacks, that clears all Conduction stacks on targets around main target and deals damage and immobilizes target. Damage and immobilize duration are based on number of cleared Conduction effects.
    • Skill #5 is ability that teleports Engineer in targeted location, clears Conduction from all enemies and grants Engineer X amount of Absorb shield for each cleared Conduction.

New ability type - Device

Device are ground target abilities similar to Wells, but all Devices have 3 effects:

• Initial effects that activates when Device is deployed
    • Persistent effect that is pulses while Device is active
    • Final effect that activates when Device duration expires

Example:
    Gravity Polarizator: places Device in targeted location that pulls all enemies towards it after a brief delay and then pulses damage and stacks of Vulnerability. When Device duration expires it knocks all enemies away.

New class mechanic - Mech-suit

All weapon skills generate Power Charge. This Power Charge acts like a second health bar similar to Necro's Death Shroud when Mech is activated by F5 key. F5 is a 1200 range Leap, which helps to engage melee combat after fighting at long range with Staff. Power Charge depletes by taking damage.
    Mech-suit skills are mostly melee, but with some range options. Mech attacks are slow, powerful, most of them has fairly long CDs. A lot of skills has a CC components like knock-back or knockdown.
    All Toolbelt skills are changed to special Mech-suit skills called Overdrive. Each Overdrive skill has a very powerful effect, but can be used only once per Mech-suit summon. This limitation engages players to switch between normal mode and Mech mode more frequently.
    Engineer in Mech-suit mode is quite tanky due to second HP bar in form of Power Charge, but staying too long in this mode costs a dps loss due too long CDs.
    Pressing F5 key when Mech is active engages a Self-Destruction sequence and allows Engineer to leap away. Self-Destruction destroys Mech and consumes all Power Charge. Self-Destruction deals a lot of AoE damage by default, but can have more effects with special Traits. Self-Destruction effect are more powerful if more Power Charge consumed.
    Self-Destruction triggers automatically when all Power Charge is depleted, but with very weak effect.
    Self-Destruction has a short time window that allows player to choose where to leap away.

PROS:

• Reliable long range option
    • Good constant damage with a little CC options
    • Good sustain and bunker potential with Mech-suit
    • Engaging gameplay that encourages constant switching between long range damaging and close range tanking and CCing
    • No AI involved

CONS:

• Fairly long CDs
    • Toolbelt skills are locked in Mech-suit mode
    • Mech-suit attacks are slow and readable in PvP

Yea plz do this.

• @Nephalem.8921 said:
    There can't really be a condi elite spec without heavy core condi nerfs since condi engi is in a solid spot now.

I would prefer a support spec as new elite. One that focusses on buffs instead of healing to have finally some competition on that role. Currently chrono is the only profession able to provide quickness + alacrity. Would be nice to have more than one profession being able to do that.
    Should limit healing output though since having boons + heal on one build would be way too op.

I disagree.

Core condi is unnecessarily complicated for the value it brings. If getting a sane condi spec requires razing core condi to the ground: so be it it.

• Arantheal.7396Arantheal.7396 Member
    edited September 12, 2018

How about some mace-swinging support engi?

Artificer:
    The artificer uses ley-infused crystals as cores for small machinations that allow him to alter himself and his surroundings (think signets)
    Mainhand weapon would be a mace with a ley-infused core.
    The #1 rota would consist of 2 swings that cause linear aoe's in a short to medium range in front of him, and a 3rd to cause cripple for 2 seconds in the same area. The first 2 hits inflict the unique condition "ley-radiated", which in itself does damage similar to poison, lasts for 3 seconds and can be cleaned by normal means.
    The #2 skill pulls all enemies in a 1.2k range who are currently ley-radiated towards the engi. All Targets within 240 range will receive ley-radiated and blind.
    The #3 skill is a blast-finisher & inflicts burning and confusion on any target in a 240 range. Lay-radiated targets get additionally rooted for a short time.
    This weapon can be combined with shield or pistol, and should synergize well with both.

Utilities:
    Crystal Cores work similar to signets, in that they grant unique buffs to the wearer and offer offensive use upon activation. Additionally Crystal Cores block their corresponding Toolbelt-Skill with an aura that grants supportive effects to allies, who mirror the Actual Crystal Core to a lesser degree. Ofc these shut down too once a Core goes on cd.

Healing-Skill
    Life-Core
    Off cd: Pulses Healing equal to 3 times regeneration (scales with healingpower like regeneration) to the engi.
    Toolbelt: Pulses regeneration to allies
    Activation: Projects a waterfield. Syphons life from enemies in 480 range. Inflicts direct damage equal to 20% of the engineers total health to enemies. Heals the engi as much as total damage dealt. Allies in range receive 15% of dealt damage as healing, too

Utility
    Speed-Core
    Off cd: Pulses a unique form of superspeed to the engi that only increases his movement-speed, not his attack speed. Ignores cripple and immobilize, but can still be pulled / knocked around
    Toolbelt: Pulses swiftness to allies.
    Activation: Stun-breaker. Projects a smoke-field. Grants superspeed to the engi and cripples enemies in a 480 range. Ley-radiated targets get immobilized. Consumes Lay-radiation

Light-Core
    Off cd: Transmutes 1 condition on the Engi every 10 seconds into a boon. Has an internal cd that triggers only upon receiving a condition
    Toolbelt: Cleanses 1 condition every 10 seconds from allies.
    Activation: Projects a light-field. Transmutes 2 conditions on allies into boons, and 2 boons on enemies into conditions. Lay radiated targets have up to 4 boons transmuted. Consumes lay-radiation

Storm-Core
    Off cd: Pulse 5 seconds of fury every 10 seconds on the engi
    Toolbelt: Grant a uniqe buff that increases precision on allies by 150
    Activation: Stun-breaker. Projects a lightning-field. Daze enemies in 240 range for 2 seconds. Lay-radiated targets get stunned for 1 sec. Consumes lay-radiation.

Force-Core
    Off cd: Grant a unique buff to the engi that increases toughness by 150
    Toolbelt: Pulses 3sec of protection every 10 seconds to allies
    Activation: Projects a light-field. Projects a projectile-destroying bubble centered on the engineer. Lay-radiated targets have their projectiles reflected and are dazed for 1 second. The daze-proc consumes lay-radiation.

Might-Core
    Off cd: Grants a unique Buff that increases condition-damage to the engineer by 150
    Toolbelt: Stacks 1 might on allies every 5 seconds. Lasts 15 seconds.
    Activation: Projects a fire-field. Inflicts 10 Stacks of vulnerability on enemies in a 240 range. Lay-radiated enemies suffer from weakness. Consumes lay-radiation.

Elite:
    I'm kinda lost on this one.
    Could be either a device that resets core (utility?)-cd's instantly on a 90sec cd, that pulses 3sec of alacrity every 10sec for the engi only, and inflicts slow on ley-radiated targets upon activation.
    or:
    Magneton-Core
    Off cd: Grants 2 Stacks of stability to the engineer every 10 sec
    Toolbelt: Grants 1 Stack of Stability to allies every 10 sec
    Activation: Stun-Breaker. Unleashes an AoE-Knockback. Inflicts 10 Stacks of confusion on lay-radiated targets. Consumes lay-radiation.

Traits should revolve around improvements on certain Cores on the top-lane, Maze-Improvements on the middle, and lay-radiation at the bottom. After unlocking the weapon, general core traits should revolve around general condi-dmg and survivability.

• Fipmip.7219Fipmip.7219 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018

I'm a huge fan of the heavy weapon idea for a long range spec - like a kit capable of big sustained damage but is slow moving, and can knock over or apply continual cripple and weakness in an AOE cone. Alternatively can used as a good range damage defense class with multiple options for missile destruction and some reflect. new weapon is mainhand mace.

• Peutrifectus.4830Peutrifectus.4830 Member ✭✭✭

@Fipmip.7219 said:
    I'm a huge fan of the heavy weapon idea for a long range spec - like a kit capable of big sustained damage but is slow moving, and can knock over or apply continual cripple and weakness in an AOE cone. Alternatively can used as a good range damage defense class with multiple options for missile destruction and some reflect. new weapon is mainhand mace.

You know you want it ...

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/126473/horrik.jpg

Sparkr's Wonderful World of Engineering - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEONFRaJV2u2f12ytXEir9A

@Peutrifectus.4830 said:

@Fipmip.7219 said:

You know you want it ...

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/126473/horrik.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of a gatling gun with suppression style skills... rocket launcher is cool but imo just blends in with the rest of the explosive options too much.

• Peutrifectus.4830Peutrifectus.4830 Member ✭✭✭

Shoulder mounted mounted gatling gun? And an espec that swaps pistol skills to power and rifle skills to condi? Ooooooooo

Sparkr's Wonderful World of Engineering - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEONFRaJV2u2f12ytXEir9A

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

engie missing alacrity and quickness generator !

I dream of elves in GW2.

• @Frostmane.9734 said:
    This won't be a fun answer, but I personally hope they don't develop another e-spec and use the energy to revamp core specs. There are tons for fun builds, across all professions, that the core game had that are just unplayable now. Let's get some remediation and build diversity before we expand again.

I think that since we're going straight into season 5 rather than getting a new expansion and given the recent updates/reworks to things like Medkit, Phantasms, Guardian Staff, Herald, Deadeye and underwater combat, it's fair to assume that this is what's actually happening. Where the effort would be spent on producing new elite specs instead they are working on improving the flavour, fun factor and balance of existing mechanics and classes, both core and Heart of Thorns.

• Majic.4801Majic.4801 Member ✭✭✭

Long-range DPS is what I miss most in the Engineer. Yes, we can equip mortar or grenades, or drop a rocket turret, but when I play one of my Deadeyes, I'm reminded of how short-ranged most of the Engineer's real DPS options tend to be.

So maybe something like Deadeye, but with splosions.

"Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside. Always follow what is true." -- Sentry-skritt Bordekka
    "I am so much more important than whatever it is you're doing!" -- Explorer Hiffa
    "Harpy love hurts!" -- Shaman Shoba

• Dace.8173Dace.8173 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dedicant.6820 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:

I think that since we're going straight into season 5 rather than getting a new expansion and given the recent updates/reworks to things like Medkit, Phantasms, Guardian Staff, Herald, Deadeye and underwater combat, it's fair to assume that this is what's actually happening. Where the effort would be spent on producing new elite specs instead they are working on improving the flavour, fun factor and balance of existing mechanics and classes, both core and Heart of Thorns.

Based on some of their comments, I actually think at some point in Season 5 we'll see a new set of Elite Specs. They've talked about finding new ways to deliver material that they would normally hold off for expansions. Since they've already added more mounts and legendaries I think the only thing left that comes with an expansion are the Elites.

• I've only just started about a month ago, so not the most knowledgeable about the game/engineer in general, but that gun the engineer/holosmith uses during primed laser cannon (might not be the actual name), I'm gonna need that as an actual primary weapon if possible.
    Also a sniper rifle too, if the laser cannon can't happen, I want a sniper rifle.

• NO MORE ELITE SPECS.

Christ...

@Dace.8173 said:

@Dedicant.6820 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:

Based on some of their comments, I actually think at some point in Season 5 we'll see a new set of Elite Specs. They've talked about finding new ways to deliver material that they would normally hold off for expansions. Since they've already added more mounts and legendaries I think the only thing left that comes with an expansion are the Elites.

they can still add boats/airships. maybe they'll encourage us to make new classes for the expac and give us two extra character slots.

• @Schnitzel.8270 said:
    I've only just started about a month ago, so not the most knowledgeable about the game/engineer in general, but that gun the engineer/holosmith uses during primed laser cannon (might not be the actual name), I'm gonna need that as an actual primary weapon if possible.
    Also a sniper rifle too, if the laser cannon can't happen, I want a sniper rifle.

If you wanna play with a sniper rifle, Thief gets that as their version of rifle with the Deadeye elite specialisation, there's a few sniper skins if you want the aesthetic (but not the gameplay) for your Engineer too.

• Noha.3749Noha.3749 Member ✭✭✭

Bombkit: just rework and improve something and make it viable.
    Toolkit: Improve the AA, tookit AA is completely useless. Would be fun if it was viable to run rifle for range and cc and toolkit for AA dmg and its utilities.
    Throw Mine: remove/replace/rework.

Hammer: longer reach on AA, quicker animations and a slightly longer duration on reflect.
    Gyros: i dont need to comment this one.

What do we need from a new elite?
    All suggestions this far are nice. I can see it work with longbow or staff, also mech/techsuit <3

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:
    NO MORE ELITE SPECS.

Christ...

Elites are fun and is the method they have chosen to make changes to the professions. What's wrong with having more options, new abilities, and access to new weapons? I mean, if you don't like them then you don't have to use them but some of us do enjoy the change in playstyle they bring.

@Schnitzel.8270 said:
    I've only just started about a month ago, so not the most knowledgeable about the game/engineer in general, but that gun the engineer/holosmith uses during primed laser cannon (might not be the actual name), I'm gonna need that as an actual primary weapon if possible.

We already have the rifle. So you just need to find the right skin. I recommend Deadeye's Rifle, Cursed Flintlock, Whisper's Secret Rifle, and of course The Predator. Now if you want to actually be a sniper then you really just need to play Deadeye. They're not likely to change Engineer to be a sniper. It doesn't really fit the theme of the profession. As for the Prime Light Beam, it's your Elite so you have access to it whenever you need it, so long as it's not in CD. So I'm not sure what you mean by "if it can't happen" as it's already a part of your arsenal.

@Fipmip.7219 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

@Dedicant.6820 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:

they can still add boats/airships. maybe they'll encourage us to make new classes for the expac and give us two extra character slots.

I can't tell if you are being genuine, sarcastic, or flippant for no real reason. Though I wouldn't mind a boat or access to an airship. But I see nothing wrong with getting things like Elites during a Living World season as opposed to having to wait until they get around to making a new expansion.

@Dace.8173 said:

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:
    NO MORE ELITE SPECS.

Christ...

Elites are fun and is the method they have chosen to make changes to the professions. What's wrong with having more options, new abilities, and access to new weapons? I mean, if you don't like them then you don't have to use them but some of us do enjoy the change in playstyle they bring.

@Schnitzel.8270 said:

We already have the rifle. So you just need to find the right skin. I recommend Deadeye's Rifle, Cursed Flintlock, Whisper's Secret Rifle, and of course The Predator. Now if you want to actually be a sniper then you really just need to play Deadeye. They're not likely to change Engineer to be a sniper. It doesn't really fit the theme of the profession. As for the Prime Light Beam, it's your Elite so you have access to it whenever you need it, so long as it's not in CD. So I'm not sure what you mean by "if it can't happen" as it's already a part of your arsenal.

@Fipmip.7219 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

@Dedicant.6820 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:

I can't tell if you are being genuine, sarcastic, or flippant for no real reason. Though I wouldn't mind a boat or access to an airship. But I see nothing wrong with getting things like Elites during a Living World season as opposed to having to wait until they get around to making a new expansion.

semi flippant. i agree new elites are fun and im always hype for them but I cant help but wonder what dedicating serious resources towards refining the rest of the classes and elites would do for the overall health of the game. would it be worth skipping a season of elites?

Take ele. there are 20 skills on core ele staff alone. then the dagger/scepter/focus combinations. then the dozens of traits. then the elites. tens more skills underwater too. How do you even begin to make a meaningful change to that? one that keeps the class fun, balances the class and defines its role with respect to the other 8 classes, with their weapons, traits, elites and skills? it would take months of work if not years to start considering it, learning every facet of the game. Or, lets just keep adding more elites i suppose. Like I said I don't know. Many would like to see the game be more balanced.

@Fipmip.7219 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:
    NO MORE ELITE SPECS.

Christ...

@Schnitzel.8270 said:

@Fipmip.7219 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

@Dedicant.6820 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:

semi flippant. i agree new elites are fun and im always hype for them but I cant help but wonder what dedicating serious resources towards refining the rest of the classes and elites would do for the overall health of the game. would it be worth skipping a season of elites?

Take ele. there are 20 skills on core ele staff alone. then the dagger/scepter/focus combinations. then the dozens of traits. then the elites. tens more skills underwater too. How do you even begin to make a meaningful change to that? one that keeps the class fun, balances the class and defines its role with respect to the other 8 classes, with their weapons, traits, elites and skills? it would take months of work if not years to start considering it, learning every facet of the game. Or, lets just keep adding more elites i suppose. Like I said I don't know. Many would like to see the game be more balanced.

Well, some of these issues would still exist if they introduced Elites during an expansion. They would either be diverting resources to bringing us new Living World material or new expansion material. Like that's a given and something they rightfully should focus on to some extent. I think the issue is that the expansions aren't making them the kind of money they likely need them to make. I saw youtube video discussing this matter and they showed a clear drop after the initial spike of an expansion. Offering Elites during a season may be the kind of thing that keeps people engaged in the game and money flowing into the game as opposed to just a sudden spike at the release of an expansion and then a drop-off. They can still refine the current professions and elites, as we've seen them do just that during this current season. However, let's be honest, that isn't the kind of thing that is going to keep the community engaged for any length of time. I don't see bringing us new Elites and refining current mechanics as mutually exclusive activities. More so if instead of putting resources into an expansion team those resources are kept in Living World material and profession mechanics material.

After all, if they were working on a new expansion the issues you highlight would still be present. They have shown they make balance changes as things progress. We've seen it this season. But if they aren't also producing new material for the game then balance issues won't matter as people start to drop off from a lack of things to do. If they aren't putting time into offering folks new things to play with then the game is most definitely will stagnate. People want new material and new things to do just as much as they want balance issues addressed.

Also, I'm not sure why it would take years of work being as how they already have all that information on hand. If they didn't have that kind of information they wouldn't be able to make the changes they do now.

@Dace.8173 said:

@Fipmip.7219 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:
    NO MORE ELITE SPECS.

Christ...

@Schnitzel.8270 said:

@Fipmip.7219 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

@Dedicant.6820 said:

@Frostmane.9734 said:

Well, some of these issues would still exist if they introduced Elites during an expansion. They would either be diverting resources to bringing us new Living World material or new expansion material. Like that's a given and something they rightfully should focus on to some extent. I think the issue is that the expansions aren't making them the kind of money they likely need them to make. I saw youtube video discussing this matter and they showed a clear drop after the initial spike of an expansion. Offering Elites during a season may be the kind of thing that keeps people engaged in the game and money flowing into the game as opposed to just a sudden spike at the release of an expansion and then a drop-off. They can still refine the current professions and elites, as we've seen them do just that during this current season. However, let's be honest, that isn't the kind of thing that is going to keep the community engaged for any length of time. I don't see bringing us new Elites and refining current mechanics as mutually exclusive activities. More so if instead of putting resources into an expansion team those resources are kept in Living World material and profession mechanics material.

After all, if they were working on a new expansion the issues you highlight would still be present. They have shown they make balance changes as things progress. We've seen it this season. But if they aren't also producing new material for the game then balance issues won't matter as people start to drop off from a lack of things to do. If they aren't putting time into offering folks new things to play with then the game is most definitely will stagnate. People want new material and new things to do just as much as they want balance issues addressed.

Also, I'm not sure why it would take years of work being as how they already have all that information on hand. If they didn't have that kind of information they wouldn't be able to make the changes they do now.

Are you arguing to release more elites during expansions? like just keep piling them on like it's magic the gathering? sure, I guess we could make the game balanced by making sure the meta never settles, but kitten. Risky move. We'd probably have to get rid of ranked pvp since it would be basically meaningless.

Also I dont really want to go into this too much further since it's dealing with a lot of facts that you or I dont know about. I remember reading from one of the developers that no one at Anet had actually gotten good with every class. so i guess they have 'all that information on hand' but they dont know how to read it, or what that information is. how do you quantify fun vs balance?

Are you arguing to release more elites during expansions? like just keep piling them on like it's magic the gathering? sure, I guess we could make the game balanced by making sure the meta never settles, but kitten. Risky move. We'd probably have to get rid of ranked pvp since it would be basically meaningless.

No, I'm arguing that current indicators make it appear that it may be a while before we see another expansion, as in they may not be working on one right now and thus we might not see another expansion until 2020 (at the earliest). As such providing Elites in season 5 shouldn't be a problem. ArenaNet has made several statements that indicate to some people that they aren't working on an expansion and that they are looking at different ways to provide us with new material that doesn't require the release of an expansion. They've said it themselves that they are looking to give us things in season 5 that we may normally expect to see in an expansion. Releasing elites during a season instead of holding off all new mechanical changes until an expansion may stabilize player interest in the game so that it maintains a steady high as opposed to a large dip and drop post-expansion release.

Also I dont really want to go into this too much further since it's dealing with a lot of facts that you or I dont know about. I remember reading from one of the developers that no one at Anet had actually gotten good with every class. so i guess they have 'all that information on hand' but they dont know how to read it, or what that information is. how do you quantify fun vs balance?

If you believe they don't know how to read the information then the problems you speak of aren't fixable. But I find it extremely unlikely that they don't know how to read all this data they collect. If they didn't understand it at all balance would be worse than it currently is. It can certainly improve but the balance issues in this game aren't nearly as bad as people keep indicating, in the same fashion that Necromancer isn't nearly as horrible as some folks make it out to be. I also wouldn't read to much into a statement about no one at ArenaNet getting good at every profession. What it likely means is that no single person is good at all the professions. Instead, individual members of the development team may be good at some professions and bad at others. Being good at all nine professions is an incredible time sink and they don't have time to spend all day playing the game. Again, if they didn't understand how their professions work balance would be a lot worse than it currently is. Not being able to read or understand all the data the game gives them would make producing the game impossible.

As for quantifying fun vs balance, you can't. In every game, you have to accept a certain level of imbalance in a game. Perfect balance is impossible but it would also be boring. Folks idea on what is fun and balanced will vary greatly. Overall though I don't think they are doing a bad job as this game could be a lot worse than it currently is. If balance was really horrible the game wouldn't be as lively as it currently is. Folks don't stick around to play a badly balanced game. There are too many options for that to be the case. But folks are enjoying the game. It's fun for a lot of people. The game is constantly attracting new people to it. It is consistently ranked as a good game or a game people should be playing by gaming magazines. Balance could be improved, but that is true of pretty much every single faction based game out there, whether we are talking about video games, board games, minis, or CCG/LCG games. Even Magic the Gathering suffers from balances issues at times.

If balance really was as bad as people on this forum indicate then I really don't get why they continue to play the game. It makes no sense to play a game and to go onto its forums and take part in conversations if the game really is as bad at balance as some people try to indicate. This game does not behave like a horribly balanced game.

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dace.8173 said:

No, I'm arguing that current indicators make it appear that it may be a while before we see another expansion, as in they may not be working on one right now

they're still working on the xpac (it's a dedicated team) they're just giving it more development time.

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

@derd.6413 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

No, I'm arguing that current indicators make it appear that it may be a while before we see another expansion, as in they may not be working on one right now

they're still working on the xpac (it's a dedicated team) they're just giving it more development time.

Well, that would still mean that we aren't likely to see an expansion in 2019 but in 2020. 2020 sounds like a good time frame if they are giving the development team more time. Still, based on their comments I still think they are likely to drop new mechanical stuff such as Elites during season 5. Giving the expansion more time is a great idea as I hate rushed developments (I'm looking at you Mass Effect: Andromeda). However, if we get nothing new mechanics wise to play with I think interest will drop off after a while.

@Dace.8173 said:

@derd.6413 said:

@Dace.8173 said:

Well, that would still mean that we aren't likely to see an expansion in 2019 but in 2020. 2020 sounds like a good time frame if they are giving the development team more time. Still, based on their comments I still think they are likely to drop new mechanical stuff such as Elites during season 5. Giving the expansion more time is a great idea as I hate rushed developments (I'm looking at you Mass Effect: Andromeda). However, if we get nothing new mechanics wise to play with I think interest will drop off after a while.

i doubt it will be elite specs as they are fairly difficult but we might see some substantiel reworks to old specs.

• Odokuro.5049Odokuro.5049 Member ✭✭✭

My idea for a Elite Specialization for Engineer.

Mechano-wrangler (Think the Mech version of the Ranger.)
    A Mechano-wrangler would work mostly like a Ranger in terms that the Engineer would have a pet-bar like the Ranger (Where our toolbet currently is.)
    Our pets would mimic those "Steam-punk" looking creations like the Steam Minotaur, we'de have to do class-specific quests to track down these elusive mecha-beasts to reprogram AKA "Tame". We would have a variety of pets such as tanky ones, dps ones, support ones and hybrids of those three.

Now some of you may be thinking/saying, "What about my tool-belt, I like my tool-belt." well here is the way we'd still make use of it or have it. Dependent on what skills you slot on your 6-0 keys, would gift your pet with similar abilities, you would be able to control attack-centric skills much like the Ranger does, but things like elixers, heal-belt skills, ect. would grant your pet passive boosts. You would be able to control which attack skill they use and how they use it, by opening up your New panel "Scrap-yard", where you would have menus to select abilities and how often they use them (Off-cooldown, melee-only, ranged-only ect.) your f2 would give you primary control over one of them or heck the f2 could be like an "over-charge" option where you instruct your pet to activate their buffs, prior to engaging an enemy.

your heal would heal you both, ect.

This was just a crazy idea, but I think it would be a pretty interesting spec, and add another flavor to engineer.

The Self-Appointed Pervy Sage of Dragonbrand.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

No more AI please.

@Odokuro.5049 said:
    My idea for a Elite Specialization for Engineer.

Mechano-wrangler (Think the Mech version of the Ranger.)
    A Mechano-wrangler would work mostly like a Ranger in terms that the Engineer would have a pet-bar like the Ranger (Where our toolbet currently is.)
    Our pets would mimic those "Steam-punk" looking creations like the Steam Minotaur, we'de have to do class-specific quests to track down these elusive mecha-beasts to reprogram AKA "Tame". We would have a variety of pets such as tanky ones, dps ones, support ones and hybrids of those three.

Now some of you may be thinking/saying, "What about my tool-belt, I like my tool-belt." well here is the way we'd still make use of it or have it. Dependent on what skills you slot on your 6-0 keys, would gift your pet with similar abilities, you would be able to control attack-centric skills much like the Ranger does, but things like elixers, heal-belt skills, ect. would grant your pet passive boosts. You would be able to control which attack skill they use and how they use it, by opening up your New panel "Scrap-yard", where you would have menus to select abilities and how often they use them (Off-cooldown, melee-only, ranged-only ect.) your f2 would give you primary control over one of them or heck the f2 could be like an "over-charge" option where you instruct your pet to activate their buffs, prior to engaging an enemy.

your heal would heal you both, ect.

This was just a crazy idea, but I think it would be a pretty interesting spec, and add another flavor to engineer.

This really isn't feasible. You're not going to find that many players who would be happy with being the only Elite that has to track down and quest for their abilities, more so when you consider a lot of folks don't like AIs. Secondly, redoing the toolbelt in that fashion is waaaaaaaaaay too much work for something that most players will reject due to their dislike of AIs. It might have worked if that had always been the case and the Engineering skills were already set up in that fashion but to take all the Engineering skills and rewrite them in such a fashion is a non-starter. Finally, this concept really isn't all that different from Golemancer. You've just replaced golems with mechs.

• I’d like to see a real 1200 range DPS weapon that’s not the rifle. It could be staff of longbow. Longbow would make more sense thematically. I assume it would be a super high tech one with lots of acessories for distribution of nano-golems, electricity, poison, etc. having some self contained combos with it and one mobility skill to kite would be A+ Maybe it could be a Spec Ops theme with stealth and traps for utility skills brining in a long range hit and run element.

If it’s melee I think a greatsword with high mobility would be great. Something like how the ranger can fly around with it but with technology and even more mobile. It would have to be super tanky even more than scrapper. Maybe rework scrapper into our support build and make a golem suit based greatwaed build that has a lot of CC and sustain to harass enemies and not die

• Conqueror.3682Conqueror.3682 Member ✭✭✭

I always wanted some sort of offensive alchemist, lke these joko loyalist which throw you molotov cocktails, also, can be used to complement core condition engineer.

Fall down seven times, get up eight.

• Vagrant.7206Vagrant.7206 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Conqueror.3682 said:
    I always wanted some sort of offensive alchemist, lke these joko loyalist which throw you molotov cocktails, also, can be used to complement core condition engineer.

Please no more ground targeting. Grenade kit was enough.

The great god Lagki demands sacrifice!

• EdwinLi.1284EdwinLi.1284 Member ✭✭
    edited October 9, 2018

I have always been in high support of the Technomancer Elite Specialization (Staff Elite Spec) that allows the Engineer to use and create technology that allows them complete mastery over magical energy. Giving Engineer a Elite Spec that specializes in Utility and/or Damage based on which traits you use to make the Technomancer skills more Shield/Healing focused or Damage focused.

A Elite spec made to give players the choice on playing Utility or Damage Dealer because the Technomancers are engineers that specialize in creating and modifying technology to give them mastery over magic in ways only they can achieve through the use of technology.

• Opopanax.1803Opopanax.1803 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2018

I'd love a compound (long) bow. All sorts of different arrow types

I'd also love a proper golemancer class, though we have too much AI. Maybe make it a suit that you pop in and out of like a kit...

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2018

A real pet class though having an automaton with different class types tide to how you "build" it. I want a puppet master from ff11 in gw2.
    http://ffxiclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Puppetmaster

You could use different types of tech in gw2 to changes it class char being more steam punk more melee / def aimed, azern would be more golme like being more of an mage dmg class, plant base being more of an support class and, gear human base being more of a ranged thf class.

It would be hand hand h2h but there nothing like that in this game so dagger main hand.

• Naix.8156Naix.8156 Member ✭✭

People need to keep in mind when speculating on or creating new elite specs that the design has some constraints :

1. Copy-Pasta is Paramount
      The concept for elite specs seems to be "Class X through the lens of Class Y." At the skills and traits level of detail the vast majority are taken from existing sources and tweaked.

2. Displace to Make Play Space
      The elite specs of a new expac seem to be designed with a base power level and efficacy makes the previous versions substandard. From an over arching perspective the new elite spec meta conquers if not hard counters the current meta (with respect to competitive game modes).

3. Power Creep Required
      It doesn't feel good to pay money for the new hotness only to get owned by the existing specs. To this end, the new elite spec needs to launch at absurd power levels and/or existing specs will get a last minute nerf.

As interesting as these player created elite spec ideas are to read, they generally aren't even in the ballpark when it comes to a possibility for implementation. Perhaps a better approach to suggesting or brainstorming new elites would be to keep the above constraints in mind.

@Naix.8156 said:
    People need to keep in mind when speculating on or creating new elite specs that the design has some constraints :

1. Copy-Pasta is Paramount
      The concept for elite specs seems to be "Class X through the lens of Class Y." At the skills and traits level of detail the vast majority are taken from existing sources and tweaked.

2. Displace to Make Play Space
      The elite specs of a new expac seem to be designed with a base power level and efficacy makes the previous versions substandard. From an over arching perspective the new elite spec meta conquers if not hard counters the current meta (with respect to competitive game modes).

3. Power Creep Required
      It doesn't feel good to pay money for the new hotness only to get owned by the existing specs. To this end, the new elite spec needs to launch at absurd power levels and/or existing specs will get a last minute nerf.

As interesting as these player created elite spec ideas are to read, they generally aren't even in the ballpark when it comes to a possibility for implementation. Perhaps a better approach to suggesting or brainstorming new elites would be to keep the above constraints in mind.

these are literally everything wrong with e-specs. don't do any of those

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.