The Departed - Story Quest Issue — Guild Wars 2 Forums

The Departed - Story Quest Issue

When going through the The Departed Story Quest, I keep getting Client error and kicked to Character screen when I finish fighting the Water of Souls and taking to Palawa Joko.

Comments

• @Serdoc.7261 said:
    When going through the The Departed Story Quest, I keep getting Client error and kicked to Character screen when I finish fighting the Water of Souls and taking to Palawa Joko.

Same... It's a nice little plot scenario I just don't want to have to do it over and over again, because it so time consuming.

Basically my weaver runs around in the big empty space looking for all the little do dads, follows the little birdie all over the big area I just searched talks to joko, talks to the judge, spends 4-5 minutes fighting eater of souls, goes to leave gets cued to talk to joko again and get disconnected. When it happens more than once I'm reluctant to assume it's on my end.

• I'm having the same issue as well.
    Twice now I've been dc'd at the same point in The Departed quest. I'm not sure if it's a transition error and the conversation is done, or if there is more to the conversation beyond what I'm getting. However, I can not continue through the story at this point due to being forcibly disconnected.

The error code I'm getting : Code = 7:11:3:191:101

• I ran three times in a row into this bug today. Also filed an ingame bug report for this problem. Can't get beyond the dialogue with Palawa Joko always disconnects even in a group with a different instance owner. However, disconnect affects only me. The instance owner was able to successfully complete the instance.

• brkndoll.2819brkndoll.2819 Member
    edited September 26, 2017

@brkndoll.2819 said:
    I'm having the same issue as well.
    Twice now I've been dc'd at the same point in The Departed quest. I'm not sure if it's a transition error and the conversation is done, or if there is more to the conversation beyond what I'm getting. However, I can not continue through the story at this point due to being forcibly disconnected.

The error code I'm getting : Code = 7:11:3:191:101

A few more details to add to this:

Race/Class: Sylvari Necromancer
    Servers: NA
    Solo/Group: Grouped with a Char warrior. I am the story initiator so we both get dc'd.

• Update,
    Tried this quest in co-op mode, with a few people that were also having trouble, and we managed to finish it... Very odd...

• brkndoll.2819brkndoll.2819 Member
    edited September 27, 2017

Update, I was finally able to complete the mission. I'm not sure if it was a hotfix or if taking the advice to reset my router did the trick, however it now works.

I did some forum research on the error code I was getting and according to Devs/Community managers, the code most often appears when connection issues are at play. Whether or not that is a thing, I can't honestly confirm, but as I did reset my router and restart my computer, it seems to have worked.

• Orirn.9605Orirn.9605 Member
    edited September 27, 2017

I always disconnect at the end of this mission speaking to Joko on every character the first time through. The second and onward seems to be fine but extremely frustrating with how long the story instance is

Also, if you talk the judge before the npc arrives...it bugs him out to the point you have to restart the instance...again

• Happened to me also, had to do it a 2nd time.

• I've run this mission twice now, and it has disconnected at the exact same spot both times. After defeating the Eater of Souls, during the conversation with Joko, right when you say "You're right, I do need your army, but I don't need you."

@brkndoll.2819 said:

Update, I was finally able to complete the mission. I'm not sure if it was a hotfix or if taking the advice to reset my router did the trick, however it now works.

I did some forum research on the error code I was getting and according to Devs/Community managers, the code most often appears when connection issues are at play. Whether or not that is a thing, I can't honestly confirm, but as I did reset my router and restart my computer, it seems to have worked.

Unfortunately, the likelihood of a connection issue only occurring at the exact same moment across multiple runs is nil. This is has halted my progress in the expansion, and I'd appreciate it if ANET would chime in on the issue.

• Definitely not a connection issue; I've been disconnected from that same story 11 times now. Always at a pivotal moment, most of the time during that same Palawa Joko dialogue, though other times I get the d/c during the Balthazar fight end cinematic.

• I have been disconnected 4 times today! Once was at the end of the Balthazar fight, and the other three was as soon as Joko said I didn't have an army like he does. I will try resetting my modem and give it one more try I guess, but connection issues should be just that. They shouldn't consistently occur at the same moment for multiple people on multiple attempts on different days.

• Update: I reset my modem and restarted my computer and it worked. Mission is now complete. This shouldn't be needed but it did work.

• same... I keep disconnecting at end of fight. Bad enough it has to be repeated on alts but I am on 4th time with same character after I keep disconnecting after Balthazar fight.

• sephiroth.4217sephiroth.4217 Member ✭✭✭✭

I've tried The Departing twice now and both times the screen has frozen when the baby dragon arrives....

Not to brag, but I put together a puzzle in 4 days and the box said 2-4 years.
    Awaiting the finalization of Duo queue trial since season 6.
    CLICK HERE FOR A FREE SCREEN CLEANING SERVICE

• Had this same problem last night. I came back to the game only exentos after a long hiatus, and since being back I've had countless problems in various story missions where I disconnect at some point at the end of it. Especially with missions as long as this one, it's frustrating to have to go through it all over again.

• Lanhelin.3480Lanhelin.3480 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017

I got this dc once in the same situation and had to replay the whole mission. In the second try I left Joko alone and walked away towards the border of the map while he was talking behind me. Fortunately this avoided a second dc. I know these dcs very well, they frequently happen to me in dungeons too, when other party members watch their cutscenes. I often can avoid these when I run away far enough (but it never is clear what distance is enough, so it's a 50/50 chance to stay there or getting kicked). I don't know what exactly causes the dcs, all I can say they are related to dialogue a/o cutscenes.

Edit:
    I also got a dc during the dialogue sequence after the boss fight in Glint's cave. Fortunately I had to replay the boss fight only (because it's separated by the portal from the previous mission-map).

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭

I was able to complete this scenario this past Sunday, so perhaps something got patched?

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

All these extended story lines need a checkpoint system. It's been requested many times before but noting has changed.

• Having the same issue after starting the conversation with Joko i get disconnected i play a human necro on a NA server

• This bug still does not seem to be fixed. Twice I've disconnected after my character says to Joko: "..but I don't need YOU." BAM, character screen.
    I do like long stories but a checkpoint system would really help in this.
    This was on a mesmer on an EU server if it's any help.

• Lanhelin.3480Lanhelin.3480 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2017

I think I found a solution. At least it works for me: go to graphic settings and limit FPS to 30. The difference in story instances won't be that noticable. If FPS are set to unlimited this can cause a performance spike in the graphics card during dialogue situations where the card has nearly nothing to perform but then suddenly has to compute something. If FPS are limited the difference won't be that high and the spike won't happen. To be sure one also can run or use skills in these situations to keep the card busy.

Edit:
    I could finish the first mission on two characters where previously I always got a dc during the dialogue at the moment where I should get the fire extinguisher. It now worked without dc on both characters :blush:

• I keept getting kicked out of the game when talking to Joko at the end. Same issue, not adressed not fixed.

• I'm having the same PROBLEM!!!! This is ridiculous!! I've done it like 20 times!! It always disconnects at the same 2 points. I really enjoy this game and this is killing it for me. I'm very close to quitting forever. I'm a casual player so there isn't much that I can do on my own in this game and now I can't even do the story. Arena Net please Please PLEASE FIX THIS!!!!! It's been months! Why havnt you at least acknowledged this problem?! There clearly are so many people who are having this issue

• I've done this one more than 3 times trying solo and in a party. I've restarted computer and modem and still get disconnected right after the Palawa Joko conversation where it says "You're right. I do need your army, but I don't need you." I'm basically stuck at this part and can't finish the storyline now and not sure what to do either. I submitted a bug report but i haven't gotten a response yet. This issue is DEFINITELY not fixed though and highly frustrating when I have to start all over from the beginning with no way to skip past any conversations so basically wasting at least 30 mins of my time every time i try and do it (the first time it was 2 hours because i was solo and in trash gear...).

• @tehdras.1489 said:
    I've done this one more than 3 times trying solo and in a party. I've restarted computer and modem and still get disconnected right after the Palawa Joko conversation where it says "You're right. I do need your army, but I don't need you." I'm basically stuck at this part and can't finish the storyline now and not sure what to do either. I submitted a bug report but i haven't gotten a response yet. This issue is DEFINITELY not fixed though and highly frustrating when I have to start all over from the beginning with no way to skip past any conversations so basically wasting at least 30 mins of my time every time i try and do it (the first time it was 2 hours because i was solo and in trash gear...).

UPDATE: so someone suggested running this one via someone else's instance who's ALREADY COMPLETED the quest. when i did it, i dc'd after the portal but was finally able to do my own instance and succeeded. this one actually worked though when everything else didn't. I don't know what was causing the issue but please (for the love of whoever) fix this one

• Could someone please explain why there is NO CHECK POINT? I mean I am tired of fighting Balth every time I get DCed, I am tired of always being sent back to the start of this. I mean this issue is still on going. Put a checkpoint in if you are in the Domain of the Lost already you skip there.

• This is still an issue .... i have tried 3 times and have been DC'd everytime.

• Right as Palawa Joko finishes talking and we boast we don't need him, every time (20+ at the time of writing this), this is NOT an issue on OUR end. This is CLEARLY an issue with ANet's code and optimizations, no other game puts you through this much hassle, port forwarding, resetting routers and computers, forcing an administrator privilege adding -clientport 443 at the end of the target to the shortcut etc.

NO I DO NOT ACCEPT;
    1) It's your ISP talk to them
    - Bull, there isn't an issue, I'm connecting just fine to everything and if a 3rd party app can STOP the game from force-ably disconnecting without affecting our routers then it is CLEARLY the kitten game.
    2) It's your router / computer
    - NO, it is A-Net's code, if it was my router or computer much more intense and network heavy applications would have this issue.
    3) It's your install, verify it or reinstall
    - Since I've already tried this 5 times, thank god for 1GB/s download on fiber-optic, it is very definitively the GAME not a corruption of files.

Fix this, NOW or give us story checkpoints for boring missions like this one where I literally just sit through a recap of every mission I play, can't even use a mount to move faster and back talk the same idiot over and over.

• I've been having a huge issue with the disconnect problem. I've run this same quest 4-5 times with my husband and we get disconnected during the NPC's offer speech thing. Usually, he loses connection and I get kicked from the story instance. It's clearly a bug since the problem happens during the same NPC dialogue every time.

It's really disheartening to see that this is still a problem 10 months later. This issue is completely blocking progress. We are getting so frustrated with having to repeatedly run this quest. This happened with another quest as well, again during the NPC dialogue...we ran that quest 3 times. We seemed to succeed the final time by staying far away from the NPC while it was talking. But it's bizarre that we'd have to figure out what "trick" will get the quest not to bug out each time...

• Had this problem too (two times and counting. Hoping this will get fixed so I can get past this story step).
    Killed Eater of Souls, spoke to Joko and then the game kicked me from the instance. Annoying doesn't cover it. :(

• Can't finish the story instance. Either crashes at

balth encounter, aurene cutscene, joko speech or resurrection cut scene.

I'd like to do more in the game but there's quite a few things barred by finishing the story for the first time, like spearmarshal's gear and the griffin, apparently.

It's not my isp, it's not my router, it's not a repair fix, please someone look into this already, I've been seeing reports of this since 2017 in trying to find a solution and everyone is being left out to dry. I came back just a couple weeks ago and I'm already disappointed that I'm hard blocked by this issue.

• shay.6412shay.6412 Member
    edited July 26, 2018

This just happened to me also :(

I had resurrected and was talking to Kas about disguises when I got kicked out

it's such a long instance to do all over again.

• Poormany.4507Poormany.4507 Member
    edited August 3, 2018

Been having this issue for months and it only happens on this same mission. At least once per character, I get disconnected either after the first fight, right before the cutscene, or at the end after entering the portal, right after the cutscene before the dialogue.

• Same issue 5 times in a row now. Only I don't always dc, sometimes the portal just won't spawn and I'm standing there at the green start on map with nothing to do but relog and retry.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.