[Proposal] Conquest Format Update

saerni.2584

So the generally accepted notion that the first mid fight often decides the match got me thinking.

• First, the early game is defined by the need for both teams to capture a point. So we get large point gains if one or two points are capped by a single team while the other is decapped. So there’s an especially high chance in the early game that the first mid fight will be significant point wise.
  • Second, early game is when strong dps burst can come as a surprise. The roles of your opponents isn’t clear and getting a snowball wipe in short order is likely if some players over commit to “fighting on point.” If weak players wipe instantly a strong player will have to both try to keep the team alive (support red pawns) and make good tactical choices (prevent caps as much as possible). Even if the player can rally his respawns the point loss from a first encounter is significant.
  • Third, there’s a delay in spawning map mechanics that works to let players focus more on fights (Temple or Capricorn) early on.

So this brings me to my idea. Disable the capture circles for the first three minutes. This lets players focus on fights and get some points before deciding how to split up to defend and attack nodes. It reduces the pure advantage early capture points provides while still giving players the points for kills and the potential advantage in numbers when the capture points switch “on.”

I love this idea. Could be implemented as a test on a new map.

My request would be make kills worth 10 points, rather than 5 points, during this time. That way during the first three minutes, you could ostensibly rack up as many points as you would without the circles.

You'd need a mechanic to make sure both teams don't just sit in their invulnerable base the entire time, or if they wipe out first, however.

Archived