What is the point of Bleeding?

Each condition has an identity: Torment punishes movement, Confusion punishes skill use, Poison decreases healing effectiveness, Burning deals the most damage, but bleeding seems to deal less damage than poison (it actually deals the same as torment on a stationary target). So really what is the role of this condition? just additing som extra damage ticks which deals less damage?

The reason I am asking is because I have been looking at the identity of different condi builds, and what role they serve, and which professions have access to which condis etc. And Bleeding just seems like a lame condi to major in.

Once upon a time, bleeding stacked in intensity, while most other conditions stacked in duration (and torment didn't exist at all). This made conditions useless in large groups, so everyone just ran zerk gear and ignored conditions, and professions that were condi oriented sucked. Then they fixed it. Now bleeding is just another condition.

@perilisk.1874 said:Once upon a time, bleeding stacked in intensity, while most other conditions stacked in duration (and torment didn't exist at all). This made conditions useless in large groups, so everyone just ran zerk gear and ignored conditions, and professions that were condi oriented sucked. Then they fixed it. Now bleeding is just another condition.

Its the easiest to stack too i think, i love getting 14k bleed ticks, or more.

@CamoBadger.8531 said:It is just a weaker poison that doesn't mess with healing.The difference is a LOOOOOT more things dish out bleeding than poison, so if you put effort in you can put out a lot more stacks of bleed than poison.

@Dante.1763 said:

@perilisk.1874 said:Once upon a time, bleeding stacked in intensity, while most other conditions stacked in duration (and torment didn't exist at all). This made conditions useless in large groups, so everyone just ran zerk gear and ignored conditions, and professions that were condi oriented sucked. Then they fixed it. Now bleeding is just another condition.

Well with my Firebrand and my Berzerker I dish out loads of Burning very easily, and can often see a 30k tick for burning

@Omnicron.2467 said:

@CamoBadger.8531 said:It is just a weaker poison that doesn't mess with healing.The difference is a LOOOOOT more things dish out bleeding than poison, so if you put effort in you can put out a lot more stacks of bleed than poison.

Well with my Firebrand and my Berzerker I dish out loads of Burning very easily, and can often see a 30k tick for burning

to be fair, bleeding does less damage per tick than burning, and as a ranger i only have a few sources of it.

Burning = more dps, short duration, not easy to apply consistently. Equivalent of a power based activated burst skill with a cooldown.Bleeding = less dps, long duration, easy to stack. Equivalent of a power based steady auto-attack.

Here are it's primary uses:

• Cover condition
  • Keeps enemy in combat
  • Counters regenerative effects to some extent

Notice how most skills apply many stacks and how this condition tends to last longer by default. Its main function is still secondary dps. Because it's so common and easily stack, it is the lowest in damage of the damaging conditions making it hard to build around.

@Awe.1096 said:Burning = more dps, short duration, not easy to apply consistently. Equivalent of a power based activated burst skill with a cooldown.Bleeding = less dps, long duration, easy to stack. Equivalent of a power based steady auto-attack.

If it is true that bleeding has a longer duration than other conditions then I can respect it, I have noticed that my burning reaches its peak dps at 30k+ per tick and then goes down very quickly, so it is bursty like you said. I just did not want to compare bleeding durations to other condi's so I hope this is the case.

@rng.1024 said:Here are it's primary uses:

• Cover condition
  • Keeps enemy in combat
  • Counters regenerative effects to some extent

Notice how most skills apply many stacks and how this condition tends to last longer by default. Its main function is still secondary dps. Because it's so common and easily stack, it is the lowest in damage of the damaging conditions making it hard to build around.

Yeah I also saw it as a cover condition that does dps, I have been trying to think if there is anything one could do to bleeding to make it a more attractive condition, the only thing that comes to mind is as another source of vulnerability (bleeding targets take more damage) but that feels wrong.

@"perilisk.1874" said:Once upon a time, bleeding stacked in intensity, while most other conditions stacked in duration (and torment didn't exist at all). This made conditions useless in large groups, so everyone just ran zerk gear and ignored conditions, and professions that were condi oriented sucked. Then they fixed it. Now bleeding is just another condition.

Also don't forget you could only have 25 stacks, and it was in application order, so you could be using a condi build and have your bleeds stripped and replaced by a power thief or warrior, it was this more than stacking intensity or duration...But yeah, bleed used to have that identity, being the one that stacked intensity. Now it kinda lost that... More after the latest "rework" where they reduced most conditions to a single stack application. That's where bleeding finally lost it's identity, since it used to apply a few more stacks.

It would be great if they gave it something to make it unique, like, bleeding targets regen endurance slower, or something.

It's just another thing that got lost in the trundling hands of the balance team.

Archived