Where's Zojja?

RazielSpecter.6295

In game, we only know that she's having trouble recovering. Outside the game, ANet and the voice actor haven't been able to agree to terms to bring her back to the recording studio. Felicia Day says she'd love to return; ANet says they have stories of Zojja to tell. So I speculate that either holding out for the sort of money her marketability deserves (but ANet can't afford it) and/or she's incredibly busy and hard to schedule and/or ANet hasn't figured out where to fit in her story, as they have plenty of plots & plot complications & side plots to juggle already.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Outside the game, ANet and the voice actor haven't been able to agree to terms to bring her back to the recording studio.That was just a rumor, and regardless, it made the rounds years ago.

More recently, and more concretely, the devs did confirm that Zojja was in the drafts for A Bug in the System, but her role was cut when they realized that it would be the second consecutive episode where we had to rescue a female asura ally. I read that as meaning that they're looking for an opportunity to bring Zojja back, but don't want to do it until they have an important role for her to play.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Outside the game, ANet and the voice actor haven't been able to agree to terms to bring her back to the recording studio.That was just a rumor, and regardless, it made the rounds years ago.

It wasn't a rumor. She was on record stating that she wanted to return; ANet was on record saying they'd love to have her. And she wasn't in the game, ergo they hadn't come to terms. That's not a bad thing.

More recently, and more concretely, the devs did confirm that Zojja was in the drafts for A Bug in the System, but her role was cut when they realized that it would be the second consecutive episode where we had to rescue a female asura ally. I read that as meaning that they're looking for an opportunity to bring Zojja back, but don't want to do it until they have an important role for her to play.

Oh? I missed that entirely. Do you remember where you saw that? Was it the 4.3 AMA? (If you don't have the link, that's ok; I can look it up.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

It wasn't a rumor. She was on record stating that she wanted to return; ANet was on record saying they'd love to have her. And she wasn't in the game, ergo they hadn't come to terms. That's not a bad thing.Those two statements, yes, but the notion that there was some dispute over pay was, as far as I can tell, solely fans jumping to conclusions. It could just as easily have been an issue of scheduling due to other projects or her new parenthood, or a personal dispute, or any of a dozen other reasons, or just ANet not having had time to work her in yet. The tweet was last August, right? I imagine VO on PoF would've already been finished, so there's only been three releases since then.

I know you, personally, didn't directly raise the idea, but we've previously had an irritating number of people rushing to take up arms to fight a war that may well have not even existed. Misinformation-fueled riots are my least favorite kind, so I do think it's important to draw a line between what we know and what we guess.

Oh? I missed that entirely. Do you remember where you saw that? Was it the 4.3 AMA? (If you don't have the link, that's ok; I can look it up.)

It was on the AFC, actually. Here ya go.

I had an idea. What if she is now councillor Zojja?The asuran council is not the most coveted position in asuran society. The Inquest, however wants to gain influence for their own political ends and Zojja knows this. Not only that, but she has a sense of social responsibility and is the single most dangerous foe the inqest has ever had. All the data crystals we collected in CoE went to Zojja, so she could create the asuran version of Wikileaks, were the organization's dirty secrets were laid out along with their junk mail and their cafeteria's meal plan.

She might join the council not only to stop the Inquest, or to protect herself as the Inquest cetainly has an interest in silencing Zojja, but she also gains some control of the Arcane Eye and can be a positive Influence on High Councillor Flax, aswell as Councillor Phlunt and a definitive counter to Councillor Yahk and his machinations.

Also, as a member of the council, she can call an investigation of the Events at Rata Primus (as it's likely impossible to keep that a secret from her) and find out how much asuran technology has fallen into bookah hands as a result of the Inquest recklessness. This would be a hefty blow to the megakrewe corporation, as the council is definitely interested in keeping their technological lead against the humans and charr, so any action that jeopardizes the asuran position will be a serious offense.

Her becoming councillor would also mean, that she's tied to Rata Sum, so the only time we'll hear her voice is over the communicator, unless we pay her a visit. This may be a good arrangement, until she's fully recovered from her time in the blighting pod.

@"Castigator.3470" said:I had an idea. What if she is now councillor Zojja?The asuran council is not the most coveted position in asuran society. The Inquest, however wants to gain influence for their own political ends and Zojja knows this. Not only that, but she has a sense of social responsibility and is the single most dangerous foe the inqest has ever had. All the data crystals we collected in CoE went to Zojja, so she could create the asuran version of Wikileaks, were the organization's dirty secrets were laid out along with their junk mail and their cafeteria's meal plan.

She might join the council not only to stop the Inquest, or to protect herself as the Inquest cetainly has an interest in silencing Zojja, but she also gains some control of the Arcane Eye and can be a positive Influence on High Councillor Flax, aswell as Councillor Phlunt and a definitive counter to Councillor Yahk and his machinations.

Also, as a member of the council, she can call an investigation of the Events at Rata Primus (as it's likely impossible to keep that a secret from her) and find out how much asuran technology has fallen into bookah hands as a result of the Inquest recklessness. This would be a hefty blow to the megakrewe corporation, as the council is definitely interested in keeping their technological lead against the humans and charr, so any action that jeopardizes the asuran position will be a serious offense.

Her becoming councillor would also mean, that she's tied to Rata Sum, so the only time we'll hear her voice is over the communicator, unless we pay her a visit. This may be a good arrangement, until she's fully recovered from her time in the blighting pod.

... except the part where she was mentally violated by Mordremoth to the point where she is currently sitting in a corner, drooling, in an Asura loony bin in Rata Sum.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

@"Castigator.3470" said:I had an idea. What if she is now councillor Zojja?The asuran council is not the most coveted position in asuran society. The Inquest, however wants to gain influence for their own political ends and Zojja knows this. Not only that, but she has a sense of social responsibility and is the single most dangerous foe the inqest has ever had. All the data crystals we collected in CoE went to Zojja, so she could create the asuran version of Wikileaks, were the organization's dirty secrets were laid out along with their junk mail and their cafeteria's meal plan.

She might join the council not only to stop the Inquest, or to protect herself as the Inquest cetainly has an interest in silencing Zojja, but she also gains some control of the Arcane Eye and can be a positive Influence on
, aswell as
and a definitive counter to
and his machinations.

... except the part where she was mentally violated by Mordremoth to the point where she is currently sitting in a corner, drooling, in an Asura loony bin in Rata Sum.

Except that... that never happened? If you save her first, she's shaky to start, but only a little worse off than Logan, and perfectly coherent by the end of the mission. If you save her second, well, she's exactly as comatose as Logan. Given that he's been up and walking for over a year now, there's no reason to suspect that Zojja was far behind. Not unless you have reason to believe that ANet had decided saving Logan first was the canon option, or you take hearsay from the same group of asura who think that all sylvari are now murderous monsters.

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

She might join the council not only to stop the Inquest, or to protect herself as the Inquest cetainly has an interest in silencing Zojja, but she also gains some control of the Arcane Eye and can be a positive Influence on
, aswell as
and his machinations.

Except that...
If you save her first, she's shaky to start, but only a little worse off than Logan, and perfectly coherent by the end of the mission. If you save her second, well, she's exactly as comatose as Logan. Given that he's been up and walking for over a year now, there's no reason to suspect that Zojja was far behind. Not unless you have reason to believe that ANet had decided saving Logan first was the canon option, or you take
from the same group of asura who think that all sylvari are now murderous monsters.

If you’re talking about the Asura I think you’re talking about, I have no reason to think those Asura liars, no. Especially when it comes to the goings-on within Rata Sum. Why would they be lying (not to our PC mind you, but to one another as we’re eavesdropping on them)?

For some reason (probably the writers needing to shelf the character) she was much worse off than Logan in the end.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

, aswell as
and his machinations.

Except that...
If you save her first, she's shaky to start, but only a little worse off than Logan, and perfectly coherent by the end of the mission. If you save her second, well, she's exactly as comatose as Logan. Given that he's been up and walking for over a year now, there's no reason to suspect that Zojja was far behind. Not unless you have reason to believe that ANet had decided saving Logan first was the canon option, or you take
from the same group of asura who think that all sylvari are now murderous monsters.

If you’re talking about the Asura I think you’re talking about, I have no reason to think those Asura liars, no. Especially when it comes to the goings-on within Rata Sum. Why would they be lying (not to our PC mind you, but to one another as we’re eavesdropping on them)?

Not lying. Gossiping. The line is "I heard Zojja's scrambled. Drooling. Explains why Taimi's out here on her own." Other lines we pick up include "(laugh) Don't tell him, but I secretly call him Blunt because he is" and "From what I hear, Taimi has an advantage. I'd excel if I had Zojja as a mentor too." Talking crap about a rival who isn't in the room, with no regard as to whether the accusations are remotely accurate, is a mainstay of asura culture, and one this particular krewe clearly partakes in.

For some reason (probably the writers needing to shelf the character) she was much worse off than Logan in the end.Do you mean during Bitter Harvest? Again, if you rescue her first, she's shakier than Logan is when you rescue him first, but she gets over it quickly. The second parts of their dialogues are virtually interchangeable. If you rescue her second, she's in exactly the same comatose state that Logan is in if you rescue him second. There's very little difference there. Certainly not nearly enough to suggest that she was violated to the point of rocking and drooling long after Logan was returned to fighting shape.

Whatever. It neatly explains why Zojja is pretty much as written out of the story as Eir and, as I said, I’ve no reason to doubt them - nor do we have any information that conflicts with, or contradicts, it. It is simply the only explanation we’re given thus far and until something else comes up, it is the official “canon”.

Edit: I mean, sure, you could accept the “drooling” part as hyperbole due to gossip, but the recouping from being mentally assaulted by Modremoth is at the core a fitting reason for her absence.

Going through the dialogue, It doesn't seem Zojja was mentally violated, though, she may have experienced a near death moment, though. In fact, it makes sense that the Mordrem Blighting pod would discard the original, since even with Zhaitan's magic, things have to be dead, before they can be corrupted. And why corrupt one minion, when you can

? The mordremoth blighter doesn't exist to to do writing operations, but reading ones. Namely read anything useful from Zojja and Logan to create copies. These were rough around the edges, but ultimately Mordremoth was looking to create another legendary minion alongside Axemaster Hareth, Blademaster Diarmid and Stavemaster Ardyn.

Personally, I’d chalk it up to Zojja having far stronger “mental muscles” than Logan. For Mordremoth to “break” him mentally within the Blighting Tree probably required no great effort nor was Logan able to mount much of a defense against it which resulted in Logan not having that much of a traumatic experience.

Zojja on the other hand was more likely able to put up quite a fight and Mordremoth subsequently had to put much more mental force into it which lead to a much more traumatic “blow” against Zojja’s psyche when she eventually faltered.

Or something. As I was saying, they probably just wanted an excuse to put Zojja on ice while Logan was planned to appear in later LW installments.

Archived