First of all a big thanks to Ben! Since you've come on-board it feels like PvP is going somewhere again and that you communicate with us and even lurk in Gw2 Twitch-streams and interact is awesome! And also a huge thx to all nice and awesome random players I've played with in PvP through the years that weren't toxic and always tried to help or just have fun.
Removing titles is a great move, I am a very competitive person so understand some ppl's frustration with the decision. (Although I'm a bit on the older side so probably a Plat 1-player at best).
I have a couple of suggestions for PvP upcoming seasons that I know can make ppl. I know, come back to Gw2 and/or play more PvP in general.
- Invite the top 250 (or 100) players from the leader-board at the end of season to a special tournament with really nice prices which EVERYONE can spectate. That way we can see how those ppl. play, learn from them and also reward them more for making it to top of the leader-board. If they bow out of the tournament they still get a consolidation price, though much less than if they participate. (Let them sign up for a couple of dates when they can participate might be good too in-case some ppl. can't play during weekends).
- Let us spectate friends playing PvP. Not only is it fun if you're friend is a good player, they can teach you how to play (since there are no good tutorials in-game), but it can also help with finding cheaters and reporting them. And maybe your friend has no means of streaming, but you would love to chill out and see them play. If the servers cant handle X players spectating, just make a cap and a queue system or something.
- Bring back 5-man queue to ranked as a SEPARATE queue and give participants their own ranked leaderboard. Yes I know a lot of ppl. are afraid of getting stomped etc. but gaming is a bout fun, preferably WITH friends. Being afraid that it will split the players between queues is warranted IF Anet doesn't promote the return of the new 5-man queue to get old and new players back, cause as with all new things, you need promotion and marketing to DRAW players in. I would stream a lot when I play with friends and it would draw ppl. in hearing all the fun we have in a small but competitive environment.
(Ofc. you can play unranked, but most ppl. just want a little competition, like a leader-board and a skill-rating for personal satisfaction (bronze, silver, gold, plat etc.), to have something to strive for and a special tournament at end of season to be invited to with prices would be enough, no titles needed imo.).
Also you could compete more often with 5-ppl to train for AT's and climbing the leaderboard. And in the future maybe bring back a little bit of E-sport, since more teams would form and have an easier way to compete more often for something, however small. (It's hard getting friends to join unranked where there is absolutely no competition + 90% you stomp the other team cause they are trying out builds or are beginners etc.).
+add a visible counter (that pops up after 3-5~mins) for how many teams/players are queing/searching for pvp-matches in your region and your skill tier, so you know if you're alone in the queue (at night for example).
- Create a special PvP-waiting lobby where you can write/talk to the ppl. you are about to play with in a PvP-match so you can give links to Discord/Teamspeak for those who want/have the means to join and also vote on a commander (se below).
No in-game means of voice-com is really hurting the game and experienced players who wants to help/teach others to play correctly/improve their play and/or lead the team. Communicating for 1 min in a lobby where you can easily paste clickable links to discord would be great.
- Create a badge for commanding in PvP and some in-game commands you can send with keyboard shortcuts for those who wants to lead/help teammates on tactics/rotations etc., similar to what WwW has.
The badge should cost gold so those who really want to help out know that they need to invest, but it also shows that they want and are willing to take on the responsibility. And when that person pings the map, it's in another color than other players ping. A voting system in the waiting lobby (see above) can decide if ppl. want to follow a commander and/or see that players commands/pings on the map and join Discord or Teamspeak. And ofc. a MUTE-button in-game for the commander's pings/commands if you feel that the person is leading you astray or is distracting in some way.
- Please make an in-game tutorial with bots in a real pvp-match where the game freezes and explains things as they are happening around the map such as objectives, rotations, map awareness, tactics, etc. etc. and make it mandatory. Preferably 2-3 tutorials with different levels and as you play through your unranked games, where the more advanced one's will come up after X matches when you've played a bit more.
This was just top of my head, I will be back with more suggestions.
Please feel free to comment and help me tweak the suggestions to something even more viable for everyone. But just writing "that sucks" or "that will never work" without a constructive explanation or a better ALTERNATIVE isn't gonna help us move forward together at all. Just try to remember these are just suggestions. ^^
Thx for listening
/Edited to add from other ppl's excellent suggestions
P.S English isn't my 1st language, so sorry for grammatical errors.