2 Ambushes 1 Cloak

expandas.7051

Over the weekend I visited a friend who had purchased PoF. I was able to try Mirage for the first time and see what corners were able to be cut.

One of those corners is being able to cast two ambush attacks with one Mirage Cloak. This is done simply by weapon swapping out of your first channeled ambush and immediately starting the second one. You won't have to time to finish the first channel but traits like Infinite Horizon will still kick in. The channel time of the second ambush skill doesn't matter since it will channel to completion as long as it starts before the ambush attack window expires. It seems ambush skills across different weapons don't share a common cooldown. There is probably a technical reason for this, one that wasn't worth the dev time to address when the attack window was a quarter second or two shorter. I tested this in the PvP lobby (GS --> S/F) with no quickness. YMMV if you have a friend that can supply it.

As far as how useful this is, I can see this trick raising the skill ceiling marginally and benefiting PvPers, WvW duelists and roamers. I had hoped to try this with the Scepter's ambush attack when it still had the teleport, or during one of the beta weekends, but unfortunately did not have the game installed.

If your Axe Ambush actually goes off, you can get 2 ambushes in. But Axe Ambush I've found to be extremely finicky (to the point where it interrupts itself). Sometimes it comes out smoothly, and other times nothing happens until I press 1 and then it interrupts itself. This most notably happens when not facing your target or using Illusionary Ambush (and ending up not facing your target/in range).

Archived