[Suggestion} Make Anniversary Reward Account Based

Hey Folks.

The GW2 6 th anniversary is coming. AND with it , it think there will be a new unique reward.

And I wonder ... if the reward will be (finally) granted in term of account anniversary and not character anniversary. basically these kind of aniniversary gifts are unique but still require a character to be as old as your account creation. PLus ... a second character that has the same age doesn't give that unique reward again.

So why not make those unique rewards account related instead of character related ?

Yeah I' m mad cause I deleted my first character looooooooong ago. then I'm one year late while my account is 6 years old (almost)

Looking forward to see your messages ! Cya !

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Pifil.5193 said:The rewards are for your character's birthdays, not your account birthday because your account doesn't have a birthday so no, it won't be any different this year.

which for me makes kinda less sense when you are forced to keep a character you actually don't like anymore but you want the reward still.

And I was hoping for a change :) or more an addition of character birthday ...

1) character birthday rewards (like luminious weapon and dye + scrolls)2) Accoun birthday (finisher - backpack - armor? - unique skins)

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:Exactly no: be cause I get lots of rewards be cause I deliberately created like 5-6 characters at the prerelease event back in 2012. I get a lot of stuff then :wink:

I was talking about unique reward that you don't get anymore when you already had it ... exemple : backpack skins from 4th anniversary. those kind of reward has no point being as a character reward since the other characters won't have it anymore. But I get you ... i think

There are a couple of reasons why it's always going to be by character, not by account. In the extreme, say you create an account, logon, and decide never to create a character. Five years later, what makes your account different from one created today?

As for "being forced to keep a character I don't like," I don't understand the downside. If you play a lot, you can create more characters buy converting gold to gems. You treat that character as a mule, never play, reap the birthday rewards. It's win:win.

But the most important reason is that the game's existing mechanics dish out anniversary rewards to characters (even the "one time per account" unlocks). To support the OP's suggestion, ANet would have to revamp the system (or create a separate one). I doubt very much if it would be the most difficult thing ANet tackles this year, but it's not free to make such a change. So the question is: given all the other things we also want, why should ANet devote their resources to this quality-of-life change, rather than something that affects more people?

• ArenaNet Staff

I deleted quite a few characters in the early days of Guild Wars. But as the person who actually proposed the idea of "birthday rewards," I am not upset about how it worked out, which meant that I did not receive my birthday gifts as early as others who didn't delete their first characters.

After all, people have birthdays, not accounts, and I look on my characters as a virtual "person." :)

I'd like to see this year's extra item besides the backpiece and weapon choices be either an option to unlock an Outfit or Gem Store armor set. And thinking of birthdays...I need to check my GW1 characters to see how many more claim tickets I have. I think I should be adding 2 more soon...I just wish I would open a 7th yr bday present and get Vizu.

I 100% regret deleting my first ever character.. if I recall a few days before they introduced Loyal title (birthday year 1) so now I'm always going to be a year or so behind. I respect the notion of it being tied to character age; it definitely feels more like a birthday for each one but also because others have pointed out it's keeping the tradition with character birthday presents in GW1.

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I deleted quite a few characters in the early days of Guild Wars. But as the person who actually proposed the idea of "birthday rewards," I am not upset about how it worked out, which meant that I did not receive my birthday gifts as early as others who didn't delete their first characters.

After all, people have birthdays, not accounts, and I look on my characters as a virtual "person." :)

Well, by your logic, if it's people who have birthdays and the game clearly is not a person, why celebrate the game's birthday? I don't really see it as strange to celebrate the game's longevity with players rather than their characters. Just saying ;)

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:I deleted quite a few characters in the early days of Guild Wars. But as the person who actually proposed the idea of "birthday rewards," I am not upset about how it worked out, which meant that I did not receive my birthday gifts as early as others who didn't delete their first characters.

Well, by your logic, if it's people who have birthdays and the game clearly is not a person, why celebrate the game's birthday? I don't really see it as strange to celebrate the game's longevity with players rather than their characters. Just saying ;)

That's the anniversary celebration. Birthdays are different.

I made a few toons at 3 day head start (and kept em)........curious to see what we get this year...no spoilers ;). Some of us during first birthday of GW1 learned the hard way not to delete toons so freely lol. I see nothing wrong with the current system (been this way since 06) and think it all should stay as it is. Note: Yes GW 1 launched in 05 but first birthday was 06.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:There are a couple of reasons why it's always going to be by character, not by account. In the extreme, say you create an account, logon, and decide never to create a character. Five years later, what makes your account different from one created today?

As for "being forced to keep a character I don't like," I don't understand the downside. If you play a lot, you can create more characters buy converting gold to gems. You treat that character as a mule, never play, reap the birthday rewards. It's win:win.

But the most important reason is that the game's existing mechanics dish out anniversary rewards to characters (even the "one time per account" unlocks). To support the OP's suggestion, ANet would have to revamp the system (or create a separate one). I doubt very much if it would be the most difficult thing ANet tackles this year, but it's not free to make such a change. So the question is: given all the other things we also want, why should ANet devote their resources to this quality-of-life change, rather than something that affects more people?

First ... Basically anet is creating a new reward system every year tho... and just applying it to every character once it's released for the first time. It's not like they couldn't do that account wise.

Then , i think it might not be that hard to start a timer from the first character creation on the account. then no prob if no character created . /ages works already like that in game so...

Then again, and i'll repeat again for those who don't get the "nuance" there. I'm not asking for deleting the character anniversary reward. But to make the exclusive GW2 anniversary reward account bound since you get those only once no matter how many 6 YO characters you have.

So basically keeping the same system for character birthday with dye , etc. But get the GW2 anniversary reward in term of the account age or even better ... the game age then everyone gets it in the same time and no issue for older and younger players.

@Tasida.4085 said:I made a few toons at 3 day head start (and kept em)........curious to see what we get this year...no spoilers ;). Some of us during first birthday of GW1 learned the hard way not to delete toons so freely lol. I see nothing wrong with the current system (been this way since 06) and think it all should stay as it is. Note: Yes GW 1 launched in 05 but first birthday was 06.

OHHH... multiple toons maintained since pre-launch!? OUTSTANDING!!! :smiley:I got one toon that will turn 6 yrs old in October when I first started playing. Then I created a few more 3 months later and kept the all. :+1:

So my oldest gal will soon get to parade around LA looking hip in a couple of months, too! :sunglasses:

@Dreamy Lu.3865 said:I would not like that it becomes account bound. I am happy to get the gift for each of my char, especially the dyes. That's how I was able to get expensive ones instead of paying for them. I would like it to continue as is. :)

As I said ... I suggested to keep all those rewards (such as dyes - shoot cake - scrolls - minis) character bound but to change the specific - unique to celebrate the GW2 anniversary or at least account bound

Archived