A player was using a bad word

You can turn the profanity filter on. (For the record, that word isn't a curse. It's crude, but it's not a curse, per se, unless I'm thinking of the wrong word entirely.) Reporting someone for something so incredibly mild may lead to ArenaNet looking at your account and seeing if you're just a troublemaker who likes to report people for frivolous reasons and waste their (ArenaNet's) time with false reports. That's not likely to happen unless you do it repeatedly, however, but it isn't worth the risk.

Just leave it alone.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@"ROMANG.1903" said:If you're thinking of the word that designates the lower end of the digestive system, I wouldn't call it a curse word either. I actually use it sometimes, but I've never seen someone use it against another player.

I said respect women, they said how about respecting everyone A Hole

You know, they have a point there :p Just kidding.Your best answer would have been "... by following your good example?"

Just ignore things like that or you'll never come to rest. With the anonymity of the internet, we are all big bad guys or super heroes despite of what we are at home.

• If you think someone used inappropriate language, use the report system. It doesn't matter what the rest of us think about it.
  • Inappropriate language isn't limited to specific words and sometimes, ANet allows the use of curse words. The context matters.
  • The profanity filter isn't a license for other people to use profane language; it's just a way to, you know, filter the words. An extra barrier, so that those who care about such things don't ever have to see them.
  • The reason ANet places a warning on the report is that some people use the report system to grief. They threaten to report players, they report knowing that the claim is frivolous. ANet will take action against people who do that.
  • It doesn't matter what any of us think ought to be allowed, what we think ought to be reported. That's all up to ANet

Or in brief: report anything you think happens to be bad for the game and then let ANet decide how to handle it.

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:She said the A word. It was a cuss word. I was about to report her and sick the hellhounds on her but I noticed it said "you can report this but it also can lead to termination of your account" why that language before we report something?

While I understand you were offended, per your own account in later comments on this thread you engaged into the conflict with them, and per the https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/ their statement made in retort to your comment does not break the user agreement. As long as it does not break the User Agreement as this is private software we are allotted a license to utilize.

While I am not saying it makes you wrong and them right, nor them right and you wrong; reporting them is a bit uncalled for. I state this as you could have:

1. Enabled your profanity filter (this exists because the company expects people to use colorful language and its not against the User Agreement)
  2. Ignored\blocked the other player per https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chat_command using commands "/block or /ignore"
  3. Logged out if frustrated

However reporting another player simply because you do not like the other player, or what the other player is saying for anything short of them breaking the User Agreement will result in nothing. Any MMO\Social multi-player experience game online will force interaction of different people, races, beliefs, ect...ect..ect… nauseum.This will result in people not agreeing or occasions offenses but unless its something that breaks the User Agreement and is being done in true malice with the intent to impact the other persons ability to play the game and that impacted player has no options otherwise, reporting is simply overkill.

@"Icemanfrost.5428" said:She said the A word. It was a cuss word. I was about to report her and sick the hellhounds on her but I noticed it said "you can report this but it also can lead to termination of your account" why that language before we report something?

If you had to come here and ask this then you probably already realize this is something you can report but are scared or worried to do so? if you feel your are founded in your opinion of this other players actions you should take the risk and report it. If you feel the risk is to great I would look inside yourself and try and answer why it is you think this offends you? If it truly does please report it and let it go.

@jbrother.1340 said:If you had to come here and ask this then you probably already realize this is something you can report but are scared or worried to do so? if you feel your are founded in your opinion of this other players actions you should take the risk and report it. If you feel the risk is to great I would look inside yourself and try and answer why it is you think this offends you? If it truly does please report it and let it go.

It doesn't offend him; OP is just trolling again.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@jbrother.1340 said:If you had to come here and ask this then you probably already realize this is something you can report but are scared or worried to do so? if you feel your are founded in your opinion of this other players actions you should take the risk and report it. If you feel the risk is to great I would look inside yourself and try and answer why it is you think this offends you? If it truly does please report it and let it go.

It doesn't offend him; OP is just trolling again.

That may be. It does not invalidate what I said.

@"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:I would like to point out that this is a rated T game and that one of the reasons it got that rating is for "Mild Language."

Even the prequel novels curse/use crudities regularly, with one of those crudities being the word OP is whining about.

@Batel.9206 said:

@"Uden Reavstone.3426" said:I would like to point out that this is a rated T game and that one of the reasons it got that rating is for "Mild Language."

Even the prequel novels curse/use crudities regularly, with one of those crudities being the word OP is whining about.

I forgot about that. Don't some of the NPCs use such words? I remember Forgal saying some colorful things.

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:I would like to point out that this is a rated T game and that one of the reasons it got that rating is for "Mild Language."

I forgot about that. Don't some of the NPCs use such words? I remember Forgal saying some colorful things.

I can't recall any exact instances, though I'm fairly sure I've encountered them; the ESRB states that there are indeed such words in the game.

• ArenaNet Staff

The warning within the report system is there so that people think before they report and do not use the report feature to try to silence someone they simply don't like or disagree with. We have a similar rule on the forums: Don't engage in Report Wars. If there's a genuine offense, report it. If there's not, let it go.

Use the filter, if you choose. Use the report system wisely. All then is well.

And when posting, folks, consider your language and don't use words you know are not going to make the cut for acceptability. If you see them, don't quote them, that just makes more work. Report, or ignore, and move on.

Archived