Support Classes

Disglin.7540

Hi!I just returned to the game and need some advice :)I want to play a support character for zerg-gameplay in WVW at the moment it seems like Guardians are the best class, aren't they?Well but due to the fact that they are so good, they are played kinda often.So I thought I could go with a more exotic support but I don't know which.At the moment Revenant (healing build), Engineer (also a healing build), and Elementalist (water) seem pretty interesting.Which of them are worth playing at the moment?Thanks for your answers!Disglin

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guardians, specifically Firebrands, are the support class of choice of many commanders.

However, if you are asking to be helpful, I would see who your WvW guilds are, (which also will have the effect of them letting you in squad easier and being useful to them) find out what their commanders are looking for and have a couple of options. Tempest can be effective if played well, so can Druid to a point.

But FB is likely going to be consensus.

Guards are likely only the way to do it well in a zerg setting and catch no flak.Engies and Eles do not scale up very well anymore if zerging is what you're set on - they had more use in the HoT metas than at present (reach, etc.).

Revs may be your best alternative between something different and easy enough to be useful on in a zerg - just prepare to catch some flak for your stone.There are also Druids which still can be decent if you're looking to primarily support with heals - but prepare to catch flak for your class and solo havoc-ish.

Like alot of stuff can be done in different ways just don't expect your commander to share your ~visionary ideas and you'll be fine.If you're looking to get into a majority of groups and be liked by your peers while still being objectively useful you should settle for the ~boring Firebrand.

Firebrand mostly for how they skills works :P on most of the combats, Still:

Rev (Herald/ventari)is pain in the arse(It is really a pain to move the tablet, one needs to predict where group is moving even when on TS) to play, but super efficient when u get the tablet on the right spot, those 7k heals + alacry + protection and blind when u send the tablet to where enemies and alies are, i use Zealots stats w/o loosing much damage and gaining good direct heal value great to cover spikes, witth sword/shield since shield absorv catapult impact like engie does, sometimes is usefull, shield 4 alone can heal 5k health.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQJAsun3gmNSuQzJRboRlsP0pS4IaTJ4ENskFNFqdABIC2B8gNctJPpKA-j1xDQBfS9n8oHAenAAA8AAClyPns/gHVCCA-w

Rev herald/jalis with zerker/marauder stats, for boons and great dwarf armor and stability, mind that great dwarf armor also will affect golems, 50% damage reducing on direct damage and condi(1min interval lol), this is the balance i find against powercreep and mass aoe bombs, also will help squishies to sustain sup ac' damage when they are also being healed by FB and scourges.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vlAQJASmn3gWNSuQrJRbo/ksP0gS4I6QJ4EdrklZlx+5s3WNgCagNmc+B-jFCEQBtRHQM2fYjKBTkKF+TdFA8AA21FAwhK/AA-w

Druids/warriors/elementalists can also be somewhat on support roles, some really decent, but im not confident to talk about them, some players know it way better than i do :expressionless:

@Disglin.7540 said:@Aeolus.3615Do you thin the Healing-Build is also worth it with the minstrel set?

Take note that Rev is only good when firebrands are missing... or small scale team fight.

No, ministrels, is more suited for druids, guardians, engies, imo toughness is a bit useless since rev wont gain much from the toughness to heal bonus, it is useless(this from a players that used for most time a frontline guardian) anything that is unblockable will basicly 1hit if u want decent heal values to counter spikes on your team mates, maybe choose something else (it is the reason i went zealots at the end).

Rev healer has a problem(actually several problems....), while moving the facet, when ur gona heal, allies are already downed or no longer there, so u need to upkeep it at front of the commander , more or less, (at least between your group and the enemy) and predict possible range spikes and counter non unblockables with the Ventari dome, pop heals when targets get spiked etc, heals with shield and staff as well(carefull with the lack of responsiveness if u are used to very fast game skills looks like it takes ages to do what u want).Tablet can also be used to spam prot and give regen pulse, with arround 80-85% boon duration tablet movement alone can provide 100% prot uptime on same allied targets, still with low boon duration it lasts arround 2sec, wich other classes providing mass prot spam as well boon duration does not matter much, tablet movement can be traited to blind as well every 3sec (due movement) the enemies, concentration and boon duration wont matter as well.

The amount of scourges and firebrands makes this build kinda useless xD (scrubs only need to easy stack n´spam to look and feel good in this game hahahaha), but that is when u swap to a hammer Jalis buildsw with 100% crit chance and 200crit damage providing stability and 50% less damage on your team mates is also good :) dont forget it will also affect golems on your team (sometimes i ask for the commander or any one in charge to make a team only for that inside the squad ).On pve ,all pve players need it stack boons and big direct heals wont matter much as well, also pve mechanics is stack in one place and keep stack n spam skill even raids, reason rev healer isnt used.

It would appear that the major consensus for you is FB. Rev got a few nods as well.

Not going to debate whether others can be used or might be good, but no one argued against FB.

And again, find your common commanders and ask them. That can be sooo helpful as it shows you care what they need to help, and you are trying to be a contributor.

Quick note. The healing on a FB has recently been nerfed. I main support healing ele in wvw and have since tempest became a thing. The healing (as a staff user) is reliable and on a better cooldown than a FB. Properly built, auramancer support (or a slight variation) can be great support for the commander group and group as a whole.

Barrier is the end all be all support atm as you cant counter it with condis. Tag that with heals from FB and boon support it makes zerg unkillable. If you though in a mez to bounce the blocks even the highest power dps classes will only get "yellow" numbers.

Sadly tempest healing after the fact always going to be weaker to bombs because you cant heal what is already dead as well as getting counter hard by condi effects.

@Disglin.7540 said:Thanks for all the answers :) <3Think I will try the Engi first ^^

You'll want to go scrapper. Lots of direct healing, damage mitigation, projectile mitigation/reflect. As well as high up time of boons thanks to the alchemy line.

Inventions has a trait where removing a condition grants protection to nearby allies. A minor in inventions boosts your healing when you've got regeneration.

In alchemy, you've got your healing boost. Regeneration to allies when you remove a boon, and conversation of conditions to boons.

Scrapper, aside from being a ranged res/down or double res (res them at range using function gyro, then res them manually) is going to give you your main support skills. Namely, bulwark gyro and it's toolbelt, which generates a bubble and pulses stability to 5 people. The medic gyro you'll probably want have and use off cooldown during fights, as it heals intermittently. Same for the toolbelt, which pulses protection. Sneak gyro gives excellent support with stealth.

@archmagus.7249 said:

@Disglin.7540 said:Thanks for all the answers :) <3Think I will try the Engi first ^^

You'll want to go scrapper. Lots of direct healing, damage mitigation, projectile mitigation/reflect. As well as high up time of boons thanks to the alchemy line.

Inventions has a trait where removing a condition grants protection to nearby allies. A minor in inventions boosts your healing when you've got regeneration.

In alchemy, you've got your healing boost. Regeneration to allies when you remove a boon, and conversation of conditions to boons.

Scrapper, aside from being a ranged res/down or double res (res them at range using function gyro, then res them manually) is going to give you your main support skills. Namely, bulwark gyro and it's toolbelt, which generates a bubble and pulses stability to 5 people. The medic gyro you'll probably want have and use off cooldown during fights, as it heals intermittently. Same for the toolbelt, which pulses protection. Sneak gyro gives excellent support with stealth.

Unfortunately a lot of bad information on this. You have the trait lines right, but one of the inventions traits backwards(which you won't take anyway, because you'll be taking medical dispersion field instead). Also, you won't use the medic gyro, because the Medkit is what makes the build work in the first place.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Oogabooga.3812 said:No love for warrior regen banner? ;)No love for having to carry around something everywhere and try to find them in the middle of zerg fights, no.

It's like carrying a screaming baby while trying to find your other 4 kids in the middle of a crowded daycare center where everyone is yelling on each other.

But what's wrong with that?

play what u enjoy and screw these zerg players..all they want is you to play dull meta and act tuff untill u find em away from zerg and they drop over like crap cus they dont even know how to play their classes.

there i just explained about 80% of players in any given server.

Archived