Impossible Odds Upkeep (PvP/WvW)

Clownmug.8357

The upkeep cost was a recent reduction... I could definitely see them applying it to all game modes in a future patch (as they often do.)

I think they're biggest concern for them is still Hammer Rev's being able to keep up Forceful Persistance for longer... But like, compared to some other ranged bursts out there, it's not even that great since the Coalescence nerf. Hopefully one of the dev's will actually play some Rev for once and see it'd be fine to apply it to all game modes.

@Clownmug.8357 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Idk the 5e cost reduction was enough imo.

Oh, I didn't even notice they reduced the activation cost. Kind of feels like that guardian skill that they recently shaved 1s off the cooldown though.

Well if that guardian skill had a 2 second recharge and they chopped it down to 1 second you would feel that right?Reducing the upfront cost of io from 10e to 5e feels pretty good.

Does it even worth the use? In PvP already stopped using it in combat (I keep it for moving between points and disengage, but no longer waste energy with this skill to enhance the damage). Feels like saving the energy for burst skills and other utilities serves me better.

Might be too much, it's pretty good already. I would rather not run the risk on them later doing something stupid like actually removing the superspeed and replacing it with swiftness just for the sake of "balance".

Shiro is solid right now, lets redirect all the attention to other legends instead.

@Justine.6351 said:

@Justine.6351 said:Idk the 5e cost reduction was enough imo.

Oh, I didn't even notice they reduced the activation cost. Kind of feels like that guardian skill that they recently shaved 1s off the cooldown though.

Well if that guardian skill had a 2 second recharge and they chopped it down to 1 second you would feel that right?Reducing the upfront cost of io from 10e to 5e feels pretty good.

Changing that 2 to 1 would still be table scraps even if you tell me it's twice what I normally get. I can't feel the same improvement of IO that you do since I tried it in PvE first and became used to that.

@Buran.3796 said:Does it even worth the use? In PvP already stopped using it in combat (I keep it for moving between points and disengage, but no longer waste energy with this skill to enhance the damage). Feels like saving the energy for burst skills and other utilities serves me better.

Yeah I guess it's not as big a deal in PvP, but the split still seems arbitrary. I was mostly thinking of WvW where you have to travel long distances from waypoints and fight people in vast open areas.

@"XxsdgxX.8109" said:Might be too much, it's pretty good already. I don't want to run the risk of them doing something stupid like actually removing the superspeed and replacing it with swiftness just for the sake of "balance".

Shiro is solid right now, all the attention to other legends instead.

That's seems a little paranoid. I don't think making a skill perform the same in all game modes is asking as much as overhauling a whole legend.

@Clownmug.8357 said:

@"XxsdgxX.8109" said:Might be too much, it's pretty good already. I don't want to run the risk of them doing something stupid like actually removing the superspeed and replacing it with swiftness just for the sake of "balance".

Shiro is
solid
right now, all the attention to other legends instead.

That's seems a little paranoid. I don't think making a skill perform the same in all game modes is asking as much as overhauling a whole legend.

-6 upkeep in pvp/wvw would be pretty crazy honestly. The skill is already really good when used properly in pvp settings. A -6 as opposed to a -8 would essentially let you upkeep it a ton compared to right now, dishing out a bunch of extra hits while also using all your burst skills (which already do fantastic damage). Not to mention the super long duration in combat superspeed could be ridiculous. With -6 you get 45 seconds of superspeed if not using other skills. Currently with -8 you get 15 seconds of superspeed without other skills

@LucianTheAngelic.7054 said:

Shiro is
solid

-6 upkeep in pvp/wvw would be pretty crazy honestly. The skill is already really good when used properly in pvp settings. A -6 as opposed to a -8 would essentially let you upkeep it a ton compared to right now, dishing out a bunch of extra hits while also using all your burst skills (which already do fantastic damage). Not to mention the super long duration in combat superspeed could be ridiculous. With -6 you get 45 seconds of superspeed if not using other skills. Currently with -8 you get 15 seconds of superspeed without other skills

Even if it is a good pvp skill, most players feel the current cost is too high, just look at Buran's post above for example. If a compromise needs to be made though it could be that the upkeep is only reduced outside of combat.

Shiro is
solid

Pretty much. Last night I did my last couple boss blitz in pve for festival of the four winds on my rev and I just turned io on and left it on until legend swapping back to glint where I just turned on most of my facets and left them on...

@Clownmug.8357 said:

Shiro is
solid

Even if it is a good pvp skill, most players feel the current cost is too high, just look at Buran's post above for example. If a compromise needs to be made though it could be that the upkeep is only reduced outside of combat.

"most players feel the current cost is too high, just look at the whole 1 person who agrees with me"

@Justine.6351 said:

Shiro is
solid

"most players feel the current cost is too high, just look at the whole 1 person who agrees with me"

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a minimum number of citations required for a video game discussion.

@Clownmug.8357 said:

Shiro is
solid

Sorry, I didn't realize there was a minimum number of citations required for a video game discussion.

You are the one who brought numbers into the discussion with "most people". Don't cry foul now.

@Justine.6351 said:

Shiro is
solid

You are the one who brought numbers into the discussion with "most people". Don't cry foul now.

"Most" is not a number, but sorry, I guess should've also provided detailed statistics data rather than being casual and anecdotal like normal people.

@Clownmug.8357 said:

Shiro is
solid

They wouldn’t be able to make that compromise due to their tech. I don’t think any skill works like that in the current game, so I doubt they would change it just for that situation :(

The issue with reducing really is just that it would be a huge power creep. If using it at 50 energy I would have enough energy to have impossible odds active during death strike -> shackling wave -> unrelenting assault (in whatever order needed/wanted) with enough energy left for 10 seconds of IO during that time. Also phase traversal -> IO would give roughly 5seconds if quickness then 10 seconds of super speed and double strikes with the -6 cost, which is pretty crazy considering how good quickness + AA + new IO is.

Shiro is
solid

They wouldn’t be able to make that compromise due to their tech. I don’t think any skill works like that in the current game, so I doubt they would change it just for that situation :(

The issue with reducing really is just that it would be a huge power creep. If using it at 50 energy I would have enough energy to have impossible odds active during death strike -> shackling wave -> unrelenting assault (in whatever order needed/wanted) with enough energy left for 10 seconds of IO during that time. Also phase traversal -> IO would give roughly 5seconds if quickness then 10 seconds of super speed and double strikes with the -6 cost, which is pretty crazy considering how good quickness + AA + new IO is.

I don't think the game engine is that complicated. Upkeep skills basically just auto-cast the same skill every second, it shouldn't be difficult to check if the player's in combat each interval and reduce/increase energy cost accordingly.

I barely see anyone use IO the way it is now so a reduction could be a power creep, or it could just be making an underused skill more practical to use.

Archived