Is removing titles from sPvP good for the game mode?

Faux Play.6104

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Faux Play.6104 said:In my opinion, this reduces the game mode to a legendary material farm. It gave people a reason to improve. Now there is little incentive to try to get better at the game mode.

It also gave people incentive to Wintrade. Now there is no incentive to Wintrade. And what's left is split in to Players who Farm and Players who want to Compete. Either way, without something to Wintrade for, the concentration of players playing to improve will be higher, while the number of players Farming will remain unaffected.

@Alatar.7364 said:

@Faux Play.6104 said:In my opinion, this reduces the game mode to a legendary material farm. It gave people a reason to improve. Now there is little incentive to try to get better at the game mode.

It also gave people incentive to Wintrade. Now there is no incentive to Wintrade. And what's left is split in to Players who Farm and Players who want to Compete. Either way, without something to Wintrade for, the concentration of players playing to improve will be higher, while the number of players Farming will remain unaffected.

Completely agree with Alatar's comment.

Seeing your name on the leaderboards and how far you can get to the top should be plenty enough incentive to improve. This was how it was for me and other players a back in the old Spvp days. The direction it looks like it'll be going in is, Improve in ranked, then get a team together and play in ATs (When on-demand ones roll in). Titles should be reserved for MATs now based on where your team placed after the tournament.

@Alatar.7364 said:

Why isn't there incentive to win trade? They sill have ladder positions.

@Faux Play.6104 said:

Why isn't there incentive to win trade? They sill have ladder positions.

I could apply that same logic to monthly tourneys. People sell wins for that. Should we eliminate rewards for that too?

This whole win trading argument feels very weak. Are titles the only thing people are win trading for? Do these win traders not already have these titles, or are we getting new win traders every season? I hope Anet implements something new, because fighting for a spot on a leaderboard that will be erased and leave you nothing to show for it kind of removes much of the previous enticement. Now Ranked feels more like a farm than it did before.

Imagine they remove voice in the void or demon's demise because people bug / glitch / buy / ... it.Imagine they make it impossible to obtain the title, without removing it from wintraders making it even more rare and desirable.This punishes regular players more than wintraders.

That said, duo at high rank makes the leaderboards a lot less representative of "solo" skill. I don't mind too much, but I don't see the logic in not removing titles from punished wintraders (which is still a small fraction of players with titles) yet removing them as a possible thing players can get.

@Coolguy.8702 said:No more titles means no more incentive for wintraders to cheat.

I can't believe people bought into this. Yeah sure, if there's no reason to be competitive in a competitive gamemode then nobody will care to get to the top, great solution!

This is like banning school because of school shooters. Does nothing about the problem and just ruins stuff for everyone.

@witcher.3197 said:

@"Coolguy.8702" said:No more titles means no more incentive for wintraders to cheat.

I can't believe people bought into this. Yeah sure, if there's no reason to be competitive in a competitive gamemode then nobody will care to get to the top, great solution!

This is like banning school because of school shooters. Does nothing about the problem and just ruins stuff for everyone.

It makes more competitive players and hardcore-oriented players leave the game to casuals... Which many casual players consider "good" as they foolishly believe it means "less" elitism and toxicity. For the record : it'll make things worse, not better.

Meanwhile 95% of them hasn't gotten near a wintraded match because they're 500 rating too low. Except if they're on NA; because even at 1200 you can get rated with top 10 NA ;)

@Nova.3817 said:

@Nova.3817 said:Entire premades should be a thing thus eliminating win trading..... so no need to remove titlesHow does that eliminate wintrading...?

Hard to get someone on the opposing team if they are 5 stack ayeIt's actually so much easier.5 man queue -> queue with 5 alts at the same time -> you will get matched with each other on a 99,9% chance due to low pop and the way matchmaking works -> noone will ever report you or find it out and you don't even have to put up a fight.

I guess you you were not here when we had teamq in ranked.

Who cares about the title? The game is not competitive, most of the best players do not play anymore, what you will win at the end of each season will be a fake title. Do you want a title? Then get the MAt. This only demonstrates that your ego is bigger than your gameplay.

@rank eleven monk.9502 said:

@Nova.3817 said:Entire premades should be a thing thus eliminating win trading..... so no need to remove titlesHow does that eliminate wintrading...?

Hard to get someone on the opposing team if they are 5 stack ayeIt's actually so much easier.5 man queue -> queue with 5 alts at the same time -> you will get matched with each other on a 99,9% chance due to low pop and the way matchmaking works -> noone will ever report you or find it out and you don't even have to put up a fight.

I was very much around and talk on win trading was very very sparse.... but if you want to pretend like it was a thing then fine so be it..... win trading where people are manipulating the leaderboard is definetly preferable over someone on your team throwing a game.... atleast in your example which i dont think is legit happening... but atleast other peoples rating would not suffer but some people may be placed higher then they should... on the leaderboard....

Also your speculation is unfounded as your assuming team que would have super low pop but you dont know that... unless your saying the current spvp population as a whole is super low to which is correct compared to what it was when team que existed :-p

@"FrizzFreston.5290" said:I don't believe a special title or something unique is needed for a competitive mode to be competitive.

That's an interesting sentence. I mean in WoW or GW1, the point was mostly to show off your achievement by displaying HA emote, champion titles, guild tag, guild cape.You could consider someone with a silver trim, phoenix emote and champion 6 title a good player.

Now, how would you notice someone is good without anything to difference him from a beginner in HotM ? Pretty much the same as saying " legendaries are useless for PvE " to me .

@Nova.3817 said:

I was very much around and talk on win trading was very very sparse.... but if you want to pretend like it was a thing then fine so be it..... win trading where people are manipulating the leaderboard is definetly preferable over someone on your team throwing a game.... atleast in your example which i dont think is legit happening... but atleast other peoples rating would not suffer but some people may be placed higher then they should... on the leaderboard....

Also your speculation is unfounded as your assuming team que would have super low pop but you dont know that... unless your saying the current spvp population as a whole is super low to which is correct compared to what it was when team que existed :-p

I remember mediocre ESL groups grinding the guild rewards by 5-manning stronghold during off-peak hours to boost their rating to insane levels.I remember duo's of 2 high-end players on 1 high rated acc and 1 low rated acc to drop their average rating, to boost the high-rating acc's rating even more.I remember accounts using duo / rating / 5x group play during hours where competition will NEVER happen to obtain 90%+ winrates.I remember players getting to legendary in stronghold and feeding like crazy in conquest after.

But hey, strictly speaking 5 man queue in stronghold during off-hours for guild rating rewards isn't wintrading :trollface:All these low mmr players talking about "wintrade" because players got caught and banned for it but most of them have no clue what actually happens ingame. Same on reddit, they'll cry about PvP 24/7 pretending it's all wintrade, meaningless and not even skill-based when 99% has NEVER been in a wintraded match. Just excuses to fool themselves into thinking they're not godawful at the game.

True statement : EU Wintraders are better pvpers than almost everyone even posting here. Not condoning the behavior, just stating the truth. To wintrade to top 5 titles you still need to be able to reliably get top 50. And wintrading to top 250? LUL.

@Etheri.5406 said:

I remember mediocre ESL groups grinding the guild rewards by 5-manning stronghold during off-peak hours to boost their rating to insane levels.I remember duo's of 2 high-end players on 1 high rated acc and 1 low rated acc to drop their average rating, to boost the high-rating acc's rating even more.I remember accounts using duo / rating / 5x group play during hours where competition will NEVER happen to obtain 90%+ winrates.I remember players getting to legendary in stronghold and feeding like crazy in conquest after.

But hey, strictly speaking 5 man queue in stronghold during off-hours for guild rating rewards isn't wintrading :trollface:All these low mmr players talking about "wintrade" because players got caught and banned for it but most of them have no clue what actually happens ingame. Same on reddit, they'll cry about PvP 24/7 pretending it's all wintrade, meaningless and not even skill-based when 99% has NEVER been in a wintraded match. Just excuses to fool themselves into thinking they're not godawful at the game.

True statement : EU Wintraders are better pvpers than almost everyone even posting here. Not condoning the behavior, just stating the truth. To wintrade to top 5 titles you still need to be able to reliably get top 50. And wintrading to top 250? LUL.

Agreed that people will take advantage of any system put in place the goal is to limit how many players not doing the same are displaced by it.... in the example you referenced guild groups playing stronghold during off hours they still had to win the match

Note- its also y they removed stronghold from ranked.

Archived