how is necro staff?

bara yaoi.3824

I am not sure what you mean tbh. if you mean how they compare in use. then

Weaver (ele): Staff is a high damage (power) weapon used in PvE with very little mobility. In PvP it is more or less useless and in WvW it is a backline AOE weapon with skills on fairly long cd.

Mirage (mesmer): Staff in PvE is useless. In PvE it is a high mobility, high damage weapon. And for WvW it is a high mobility, good evasive backup weapon.

Necro: In PvE staff is the farm weapon for tagging but besides that useless. In PvP and WvW it is a low dame but high area denial/control weapon that generate good life force.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but..

I hate Necro staff and desperately wish Necromancer had some kind of better long range weapon as I find Necro staff to be woefully disappointing. Though I do find it unfair to compare Necro staff to Elite professions use of staff. When you consider that the Weaver can use two different elements with their staff there is no way Core Necro staff will compete. Hands down mixing and matching elements like that will let Weaver staff perform way more effectively. That's not to say that core Ele staff is more comparable, because it's not it still blows Necro staff out of the water, just that comparing core Necro to Weaver anything is like comparing a flintlock pistol to a P90.

But that's my take on it.

Staff is great for a Chill Of Death condi build. Scepter is better for sustained DPS, but you can open with staff for a condi burst and it's also good for emergency LF generation, condi cleanse or cc. Not the primary weapon but still an important part of the build. If you have good timing with your shroud bombs, you can get the condi burst and CC without having to wait 10s to swap by using shroud during the CD time.

In other builds it's dreadfully weak as others have said, and is only good for skill 4 and 5 and for LF generation.

@Lily.1935 said:

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:What are you all talking about? Necro staff is not useless in PvE! It's awesome for condi builds. Terror goes hand in hand with it too.

For open world it's fine. For raids and fractals it lacks focus when consistent damage is required or potent support. The staff lacks both.

Raids and fractals have horribly narrow requirements though.

• Like 1

@bara yaoi.3824 said:how does necro staff compare to its fellow light armor classes, Condi Mirage w/ Staff and Power Weaver w/ Staff?

Staff does not bring much to either Reaper or Scourge. It is an AoE utility weapon (not a primary dps weapon) that still has a place in WvW and PvP. In PvE, staff is used only in casual trash mob tagging.

Comparing Necro's staff to Ele's and Mesmer's is unfair.

@Lahmia.2193 said:

@Uden Reavstone.3426 said:What are you all talking about? Necro staff is not useless in PvE! It's awesome for condi builds. Terror goes hand in hand with it too.

For open world it's fine. For raids and fractals it lacks focus when consistent damage is required or potent support. The staff lacks both.

Raids and fractals have horribly narrow requirements though.

Raids being narrow I agree with. But fractals gives a bit more breathing room.

Staff has a weird niche in casual raiding in that mark of blood gives basically permanent aoe regen. Full magi/plaguedoctor and you've got a half way decent off healer. Also gives you some breakbar spike with the chill and fear.

Support necro is a lot of fun. If druids weren't so good at their job it would likely see pretty frequent usage.

I don't really like staff, generally speaking. That said, it is good to great (if traited) utility for all PvP modes. I do, however, LOVE staff #5, I just haven't found a great way to use it yet. I am testing out staff 5-->shroud-->RS3 x2 --> RS4 combo'd with Dread/Shatter Defenses (dumps 20 vuln on 5 targets!! + CC) . Also am testing whether RS5 (traited) might be a good trap mark to cast on a point in sPvP/WvW to catch certain thief and mes combos.

@Nerah.8235 said:I don't really like staff, generally speaking. That said, it is good to great (if traited) utility for all PvP modes. I do, however, LOVE staff #5, I just haven't found a great way to use it yet. I am testing out staff 5-->shroud-->RS3 x2 --> RS4 combo'd with Dread/Shatter Defenses (dumps 20 vuln on 5 targets!! + CC) . Also am testing whether RS5 (traited) might be a good trap mark to cast on a point in sPvP/WvW to catch certain thief and mes combos.

just go full yolo and pick lich form for that 2s fear

Depends on how you define panic. It gives steady moderate LF gain and doesn't need a cooldown. Good to offset a low LF weapon like Sceptre, but if you need a lot of LF like RIGHT NOW then other skills like Axe 2, Spectral armor, or Warhorn 5 build it up faster.

Necro staff could use some love.

I've always felt that the marks need an "on demand" when cast effect.

Simple is that only some of the effects happen on cast and none of the damage.

Mark of blood applies regen on allies in the area when cast, damage and bleeds applied when mark is triggered.

Chibllians creates the poison field when cast, damage and chill when the mark is triggered.

Putrid mark does the blast finisher when cast (mark explodes into being). Damage and Condi transfer happens on trigger.

Reapers mark remains unchanged.

This would help staff get a little more utility while not changing any of the functionality, damage or conditions.

Also death magic needs a lot of love

Make minions great ...... Cuz they never were

• 3 years later...

I'm a couple days late xD

But I annihilate in PvP with my staff necro, I am almost always top player in all categories and rarely have a death to my name.  The amount of utility you have if built right is insane, and turning fights with shroud heal is amazing, a couple teammates go down, I pop #4 they get teleported to my feat and aoe healed. most 1v1 fights I can come out with full hp and full life force.  But I completely roll over other staff necros so not sure what kinda build yall are running.  Like seriously yall might need to rethink some of those "meta" builds, I am yet to be remotely challenged by another necro regardless of weapon type.  Carapice + massive regen and slows and fears its just too kitten good, not to mention condition transferring all my teammates conditions to enemies lol.

Arena PvP btw and I'm really good at dodging and lining up my pierce so idk

Last game I played was double dps of my friends dps ranger, and I'm a more all around build.

I like how anet says I "joined recently"  I literally preordered gw2 before launch xD

But I usuallly post on reddit but recently realized these forums are much better.

Edited by SubLimation.3014
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2