GW2 freezes computer

Lets see where to begin. Back in February of this year, I built a new computer. I was playing GW2 for about 2 months with no problems. Then out of no where I get hit with the most bizarre problem. At first, while playing the game my computer would just shutdown and reboot (No Error Messages). Upon googling, I disabled a feature to shutdown on failure. Now, my computer just freezes. This only happens on GW2, no other game. I've had many support tickets with ArenaNet, Asus, EVGA, Corsair, Intel, and even Microsoft. They've led nowhere which is why I am here now. Most hardware companies that couldn't fix the issue with their hardware blamed it on the game. At the time this started happening, my cpu, gpu, and ram were overclocked. Now its set to factory everything. I've replaced my cpu, gpu, power supply, and cpu cooler. Still no luck. My temperatures and wattage are both running fine. I've played in 32bit, 64bit, windowed mode, lowest settings ,etc. I've re-downloaded the game like 5 times. I've also moved GW2 from a 7200RPM Hard drive to an SSD. This is a random issue too. It could not happen for weeks to happening again as soon as I launch the game. I've run out of things to do. It is just so weird that it only happens with GW2, I just don't understand.

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (Lastest Build)Processor: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz (Stock) with Intel Turbo BoostCPU Cooler: Corsair H110i Liquid CoolerRAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 (Tried with stock 2133MHz and XMP Profile of 3600MHz)MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero (Latest BIOS)GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW HybridPSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750WOS HDD: Samsung 960 Pro M.2 - 512GBGW2 SSD: Kingston V300 240GB

@DiabolicBoombox.2946 said:Lets see where to begin. Back in February of this year, I built a new computer. I was playing GW2 for about 2 months with no problems. Then out of no where I get hit with the most bizarre problem. At first, while playing the game my computer would just shutdown and reboot (No Error Messages). Upon googling, I disabled a feature to shutdown on failure. Now, my computer just freezes. This only happens on GW2, no other game. I've had many support tickets with ArenaNet, Asus, EVGA, Corsair, Intel, and even Microsoft. They've led nowhere which is why I am here now. Most hardware companies that couldn't fix the issue with their hardware blamed it on the game. At the time this started happening, my cpu, gpu, and ram were overclocked. Now its set to factory everything. I've replaced my cpu, gpu, power supply, and cpu cooler. Still no luck. My temperatures and wattage are both running fine. I've played in 32bit, 64bit, windowed mode, lowest settings ,etc. I've re-downloaded the game like 5 times. I've also moved GW2 from a 7200RPM Hard drive to an SSD. This is a random issue too. It could not happen for weeks to happening again as soon as I launch the game. I've run out of things to do. It is just so weird that it only happens with GW2, I just don't understand.

OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit (Lastest Build)Processor: Intel i7-8700k @ 3.7GHz (Stock) with Intel Turbo BoostCPU Cooler: Corsair H110i Liquid CoolerRAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 (Tried with stock 2133MHz and XMP Profile of 3600MHz)MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero (Latest BIOS)GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW HybridPSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750WOS HDD: Samsung 960 Pro M.2 - 512GBGW2 SSD: Kingston V300 240GB

What about your motherboard? I see you swapped out every else it looks like? You could have some sort of power management issue on the board itself causing random reboots.

You say that you have companies blaming the game but how do you know those parts are faulty in the first place? Have you tested those components against others on another board?

No indication of any reason of reboot at all in event viewer system logs? Are there any warnings at the time period it reboots when it was before in event viewer?

the symptoms you have are all eluding to a hardware issue or maybe a driver issue. If you swapped all that stuff out with the same exact issue though it is less likely especially if that hardware works right normally or in another setup.

Any other info at all?

@jbrother.1340 said:What about your motherboard? I see you swapped out every else it looks like? You could have some sort of power management issue on the board itself causing random reboots.

You say that you have companies blaming the game but how do you know those parts are faulty in the first place? Have you tested those components against others on another board?

No indication of any reason of reboot at all in event viewer system logs? Are there any warnings at the time period it reboots when it was before in event viewer?

the symptoms you have are all eluding to a hardware issue or maybe a driver issue. If you swapped all that stuff out with the same exact issue though it is less likely especially if that hardware works right normally or in another setup.

Any other info at all?

• I have not swapped out the motherboard, I am trying to avoid doing that but if need be I will.
  • When I say blaming the game. For example: I would contact EVGA and we would go through a bunch of tests to see if the hardware is running properly and if it seems fine, then they would blame the game. As far as other components go, I don't have any other parts to test it with.
  • The main error in the event viewer is a Kernel-Power 41 (63). There are two errors right before this: Volmgr 161 and EventLog 6008.
  • I've re-installed all or most of my drivers so hopefully its not that.

I wouldn't doubt it could be my motherboard, but just to go through all that just for one game. Makes no sense.

@doobik.3756 said:On Win10, reboot equal hardware failure (most of the time).Since Guild Wars 2 ask a lot from the CPU, try to run a stress test software - like OCCT, Prime95 - and see the result.

• I have done multiple stress tests on both CPU and GPU. According to ArenaNet and anyone else I sent it to, it seemed fine.

The event ids to link to hardware the Volmgr 161 ive seen refers to a file page system, so could be HDD, even though you have moved the game to an SDD im guessing windows is still on the primary drive, it could also be the sata port on the MB that could be faulty,

However I dropped you a PM with more info, as I don't think this is something the forums will beable to troubleshoot.

Archived