Seeking Inspiration in my downtime

Lily.1935

Hey their Necrofam. I'm in a bit of a rut for GW2 at the moment. I could be working on Flames of War for my scourge, since I'm almost done with it, but I just don't have much motivation in GW2 right now. And I've promised 2 Elite specialization Concepts, being the Ritualist and the Pulse Tracker. Since my Deathcap had a fairly positive reception(at least as positive as a AI spec could get). So I really want to build a few more. But I've been struggling in that regard because the content in GW2 isn't really doing it for me. I have goals still and I'm still playing the game for a bit, but I've been jumping into Diablo III lately to see if I can't pull some unique concepts that their necromancer uses to inspire the Pulse tracker(Its a vampire elite spec).

So if Anyone has some suggestions for me, Games I should look up, TV shows, Anime, movies, let me know. I'd love to hear some unique ways other media has used the necromancer's tropes to help inspire me.

For anime I've started to watch the cells at work. Currently it only has 5 or 6 episodes, but they're really good imo. There's also overlord which features the ultimate lich lord, and the lord of death: Ainz Ooal Gown.As for games, I'm thinking of buying monster hunter world. Its combat system really reminds me of gw2, a focus on positioning and knowing what to dodge, when to hit and commit, and what to hit.

@Sephylon.4938 said:For anime I've started to watch the cells at work. Currently it only has 5 or 6 episodes, but they're really good imo. There's also overlord which features the ultimate lich lord, and the lord of death: Ainz Ooal Gown.As for games, I'm thinking of buying monster hunter world. Its combat system really reminds me of gw2, a focus on positioning and knowing what to dodge, when to hit and commit, and what to hit.

I've watched Overlord. And he's pretty OP but we don't see him fight much and some of his abilities don't fit the GW2 philosophy. Like the Instant Kill spell? And death wave? Yeah, that would be a no go in GW2. As for Cells at work. I've heard of that one before. As for games, I'm not really looking for it to be mechanically similar to GW2, that's not at all important. Just to see how they tackle Necromancer and death magic themes.

I have a few Suggestions too though. Reanimator is a great Film to watch. The Last of Us really was a cool inspiration for the Deathcap. Diablo is always a good one as is GW1. Magic: The gathering has some AMAZING themes I'd love to see Arena net take. Such as the Orzhov, Golgari, Grixis, and Sultai especially. Those Guilds and alliances in-particular deal with Reanimation and the dead. If I could, I'd make dozens of Ascended armor sets and characters just to Fill out all of the Themes I've seen in media.

@"DragonFury.6243" said:i like ANET to add the ability of Eucliwood Hellscythe to my necro in gw2

That's part of the theme of the deathcap I designed. Sacrificing health for powerful spells. But I also had the idea of the pulse tracker being given a blood shroud that would cause you to lose health during its duration but you'd steal health with your attacks. I'm still work shopping it. No matter what I do with it all of it just feels wrong to me.

@Lily.1935 said:Hey their Necrofam. I'm in a bit of a rut for GW2 at the moment. I could be working on Flames of War for my scourge, since I'm almost done with it, but I just don't have much motivation in GW2 right now. And I've promised 2 Elite specialization Concepts, being the Ritualist and the Pulse Tracker. Since my Deathcap had a fairly positive reception(at least as positive as a AI spec could get). So I really want to build a few more. But I've been struggling in that regard because the content in GW2 isn't really doing it for me. I have goals still and I'm still playing the game for a bit, but I've been jumping into Diablo III lately to see if I can't pull some unique concepts that their necromancer uses to inspire the Pulse tracker(Its a vampire elite spec).

So if Anyone has some suggestions for me, Games I should look up, TV shows, Anime, movies, let me know. I'd love to hear some unique ways other media has used the necromancer's tropes to help inspire me.

brah, I jumped from Diablo III to gw2, so anyways, I think wizard 101 is a game that potrays necromancer really well, but the graphics is nothing like gw2, the graphics is potato(its not bad graphics its just that is very different and edgy(as in pointy chins on characters) they have a lot of spells that steals health and a spell that even sacrifices some of their health to heal someone on their team(they can heal themselves with it but they would end up dealing more dmg to to themselves) I know this next mmorpg with necromancer but I cant remember the name sadly

@necromaniac.7629 said:

@Lily.1935 said:Hey their Necrofam. I'm in a bit of a rut for GW2 at the moment. I could be working on Flames of War for my scourge, since I'm almost done with it, but I just don't have much motivation in GW2 right now. And I've promised 2 Elite specialization Concepts, being the Ritualist and the Pulse Tracker. Since my Deathcap had a fairly positive reception(at least as positive as a AI spec could get). So I really want to build a few more. But I've been struggling in that regard because the content in GW2 isn't really doing it for me. I have goals still and I'm still playing the game for a bit, but I've been jumping into Diablo III lately to see if I can't pull some unique concepts that their necromancer uses to inspire the Pulse tracker(Its a vampire elite spec).

brah, I jumped from Diablo III to gw2, so anyways, I think wizard 101 is a game that potrays necromancer really well, but the graphics is nothing like gw2, the graphics is potato(its not bad graphics its just that is very different and edgy(as in pointy chins on characters) they have a lot of spells that steals health and a spell that even sacrifices some of their health to heal someone on their team(they can heal themselves with it but they would end up dealing more dmg to to themselves) I know this next mmorpg with necromancer but I cant remember the name sadly

Stealing health has never been a theme I personally valued above others on necromancer. Such as consuming corpses, reanimated the dead, reviving fallen allies, sacrificing health and causing plagues and curses. Those were always what I saw as important in its design and GW2 necromancer does... lets see.. 2 of those things. It does the life stealing too, which is important, but I wish for more of the other themes that are central to the necromancer design.

@ZDragon.3046 said:Im kinda glad that you are willing to take inspiration from other things and not just completely from the first guild wars. I cant wait to see what you come up with.

my Deathcap takes inspiration from Diablo III, Magic the gathering, The last of Us and GW1 community builds. So yeah, I'm no stranger to this sort of design. The reason I'm looking is because of the new spec I'm designing the Pulse Tracker.

Here's a brief summery of what I've got so far. The Pulse tracker is a vampiric elite spec using bleeding as its primary condition to damage with, life stealing and high mobility. Its weapon is either going to be Longbow, Short bow, or Sword, I haven't decided yet. It is themed around necromancy in the Charr Legions further to the north in the Blood Legion Homelands. The idea is that they use their necromancy to enhance their blood tracking skills and they developed it around blood. The Spec uses a Shroud which is a hazy red in color(or hazy gold in color of you're a sylvari), that chews away at your health while its active. But all of your attacks in shroud will steal health and can break even with the damage you are taking with it, as long as you are aggressive. The Skill type to be used is probably going to be concentration skills or glyphs. And there will be a trait that increases the damage and healing from your life stealing skills. I haven't decided on all the skills, but Likely they'll have a flesh walk skill similar to the Spectral walk only you can teleport, leaving an anchor. How that will work, I'm not sure. I've thought about giving the spec stealth and or quickness along with superspeed, but that's all being work shopped. The shroud is potent damage dealer as well. I'm pretty sure the heal has to be a channel that steals health from all foes, like a super charged life siphon, but that's subject to change. I've also considered the shroud itself not providing health at all but still replacing your weapon skills which would steal life. Its all being work shopped and I have a lot of choices to make and decisions to consider. Vampires are supposed to be super human with insane reflexes so figuring out a way to turn an otherwise slow spec like necromancer into a fast, mobile, power house has been a challenge.

Everything is subject on the spec and nothing is finalized. I've been liking the blood builds on Diablo III, although I feel they don't pack enough of a punch atm, but I also think GW2 has a bit more room to let that sort of build really shine.

Hellsing ultimate. I think Alucard (and Victoria Seras) end up using things that are pretty close to the shroud. Even the mad priest that nail it's own heart seem to end up with a kind of shroud.

Just imagine the necromancer badass with it's 2 guns and a shroud doggy, that's our Alucard!

I want a class that has a mix of dragon age origins blood magic thing of powering spells with your own blood in order to get dangerous powerful spells, and maybe mixture of ultima type reagent thing to summon dead and banish dead.

I played ulima 8, and despite how flawed the game was, I liked necromancy thing of banishing dead talking to the dead and controlling them but using reagents to control them.

I also like warlock in wow using their life to power their spells and stealing the life force right back to keep themselves alive, or necros in everquest using their hitpoints to recover mana and drain life force from players to recover their hitpoints.

To me this is awesome.

What i really want is for reaper to be a tank or be like dk in wow the slow moving tank who strips them of buff and pull them to them.

If they become like this i'l quit eq and come back to GW2 right now.

@Lily.1935 said:

@ZDragon.3046 said:Im kinda glad that you are willing to take inspiration from other things and not just completely from the first guild wars. I cant wait to see what you come up with.

my Deathcap takes inspiration from Diablo III, Magic the gathering, The last of Us and GW1 community builds. So yeah, I'm no stranger to this sort of design. The reason I'm looking is because of the new spec I'm designing the Pulse Tracker.

Here's a brief summery of what I've got so far. The Pulse tracker is a vampiric elite spec using bleeding as its primary condition to damage with, life stealing and high mobility. Its weapon is either going to be Longbow, Short bow, or Sword, I haven't decided yet. It is themed around necromancy in the Charr Legions further to the north in the Blood Legion Homelands. The idea is that they use their necromancy to enhance their blood tracking skills and they developed it around blood. The Spec uses a Shroud which is a hazy red in color(or hazy gold in color of you're a sylvari), that chews away at your health while its active. But all of your attacks in shroud will steal health and can break even with the damage you are taking with it, as long as you are aggressive. The Skill type to be used is probably going to be concentration skills or glyphs. And there will be a trait that increases the damage and healing from your life stealing skills. I haven't decided on all the skills, but Likely they'll have a flesh walk skill similar to the Spectral walk only you can teleport, leaving an anchor. How that will work, I'm not sure. I've thought about giving the spec stealth and or quickness along with superspeed, but that's all being work shopped. The shroud is potent damage dealer as well. I'm pretty sure the heal has to be a channel that steals health from all foes, like a super charged life siphon, but that's subject to change. I've also considered the shroud itself not providing health at all but still replacing your weapon skills which would steal life. Its all being work shopped and I have a lot of choices to make and decisions to consider.

Yes i love this idea for several reasons.

• possible charr lore is always a + :+1: with me we really don't see enough based around them. I don't see why other hidden cultures cant exist out there among them.
  • Necro needs a pure aggressive spec... with reaper being designed around the busier spec its not super aggressive no matter how much you want it to be it has a pretty low aggressor limit in the sense that it only lets you be as aggressive as your foe wants to allow you to be.
  • A spec like this would play very well with necro's general high vitality :+1:
  • possible blood magic synergy :+1:I dont mind not having a 2nd hp bar so long as it still has a shroud that functions similar to core/ reaper in the sense that it grants new skills when used etc.

Vampires are supposed to be super human with insane reflexes so figuring out a way to turn an otherwise slow spec like necromancer into a fast, mobile, power house has been a challenge.

Well the way you talk about it and the abuse of blood use in the hands of someone who specializes in corruption and self pain for gain (the necro) I don't think it will be too hard to accomplish. The idea of a shroud that invokes great power through the use of burning ones own vitality / blood to hunt the blood of others excites me.The hardest part would probably be picking the right weapon that could match the speed you want to set them at but thats just me.

I guess life force generation skills would also just become more damage or out right life stealing /healing now i can already see how this becomes complicated.... x.x

Everything is subject on the spec and nothing is finalized. I've been liking the blood builds on Diablo III, although I feel they don't pack enough of a punch atm, but I also think GW2 has a bit more room to let that sort of build really shine.

In any case i hope this works through i love the idea behind it >.>

@ZDragon.3046 said:

Here's a brief summery of what I've got so far. The Pulse tracker is a vampiric elite spec using bleeding as its primary condition to damage with, life stealing and high mobility. Its weapon is either going to be Longbow, Short bow, or Sword, I haven't decided yet. It is themed around necromancy in the Charr Legions further to the north in the Blood Legion Homelands. The idea is that they use their necromancy to enhance their blood tracking skills and they developed it around blood. The Spec uses a Shroud which is a hazy red in color(or hazy gold in color of you're a sylvari), that chews away at your health while its active. But all of your attacks in shroud will steal health and can break even with the damage you are taking with it, as long as you are aggressive. The Skill type to be used is probably going to be concentration skills or glyphs. And there will be a trait that increases the damage and healing from your life stealing skills. I haven't decided on all the skills, but Likely they'll have a flesh walk skill similar to the Spectral walk only you can teleport, leaving an anchor. How that will work, I'm not sure. I've thought about giving the spec stealth and or quickness along with superspeed, but that's all being work shopped. The shroud is potent damage dealer as well. I'm pretty sure the heal has to be a channel that steals health from all foes, like a super charged life siphon, but that's subject to change. I've also considered the shroud itself not providing health at all but still replacing your weapon skills which would steal life. Its all being work shopped and I have a lot of choices to make and decisions to consider.

Yes i love this idea for several reasons.
  • possible charr lore is always a + :+1: with me we really don't see enough based around them. I don't see why other hidden cultures cant exist out there among them.
  • Necro needs a pure aggressive spec... with reaper being designed around the busier spec its not super aggressive no matter how much you want it to be it has a pretty low aggressor limit in the sense that it only lets you be as aggressive as your foe wants to allow you to be.
  • A spec like this would play very well with necro's general high vitality :+1:
  • possible blood magic synergy :+1:I dont mind not having a 2nd hp bar so long as it still has a shroud that functions similar to core/ reaper in the sense that it grants new skills when used etc.

Vampires are supposed to be super human with insane reflexes so figuring out a way to turn an otherwise slow spec like necromancer into a fast, mobile, power house has been a challenge.

Well the way you talk about it and the abuse of blood use in the hands of someone who specializes in corruption and self pain for gain (the necro) I don't think it will be too hard to accomplish. The idea of a shroud that invokes great power through the use of burning ones own vitality / blood to hunt the blood of others excites me.The hardest part would probably be picking the right weapon that could match the speed you want to set them at but thats just me.

I guess life force generation skills would also just become more damage or out right life stealing /healing now i can already see how this becomes complicated.... x.x

In any case i hope this works through i love the idea behind it >.>

There are a lot of questions to answer. Should the Shroud be Melee or ranged? Because both are decent options. Should they use a melee weapon or a ranged one? Again a valid question. I feel that if I go with Sword it should have a ranged shroud, and if I use bow it should have a melee shroud. I like the bow idea because Imagine you have a long bow that fires arrows up into the air that rains blood from the sky and each arrow that lands creates a mini mark of blood on the ground. I really like the idea of the bow having a skill or two that creates marks as a means to deny foes movement or increase overall damage. So Imagine an AoE attack but rather than having one large AoE circle the attack has 7 smaller circles with one in the center surrounded by 6 others. You fire your shot and cause damage to foes in that area and it leaves small marks in about a 120 radus. Much smaller than the 240 radus of the other marks, but covering a larger area in total. Of course they can proc on activation if the foe is standing on them. Unlike current marks that don't trigger after an enemy is over them while invuln and doesn't trigger after it loses that invuln... COME ON ANET!. At toggle to activate them on command would be nice though.. Hmm.

Speaking of dragon age, theres necro from dragon age inquisition, though it's a necro in name only imo. The 1st mmo I played, ragnarok online, is due to release a new class called soul reaper, whose class mechanic is to gain souls from opponents by attacking then, then using those souls for powerful offensive or supportive spells.

@Dadnir.5038 said:Hellsing ultimate. I think Alucard (and Victoria Seras) end up using things that are pretty close to the shroud. Even the mad priest that nail it's own heart seem to end up with a kind of shroud.

Just imagine the necromancer kitten with it's 2 guns and a shroud doggy, that's our Alucard!

I liked the original Hellsing more than Ultimate but thanks for the reminder.

How about Witch Hunter Robin for moody magic?

@Anchoku.8142 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:Hellsing ultimate. I think Alucard (and Victoria Seras) end up using things that are pretty close to the shroud. Even the mad priest that nail it's own heart seem to end up with a kind of shroud.

Just imagine the necromancer kitten with it's 2 guns and a shroud doggy, that's our Alucard!

I liked the original Hellsing more than Ultimate but thanks for the reminder.

How about Witch Hunter Robin for moody magic?

You know, I must have blocked that suggestion out of my head from how much I dislike Hellsing. I think its because people keep calling it a horror anime when it is not horror. More power to you if you like hellsing, its not for me though.

Pulse Tracker defiantly will have a bleeding focus. I'm considering glyph skills as the skill choice and Long bow. Taking some Inspiration from D3, as well as some anime I'm started to piece it together. Lets take a look at a few ideas I'm rolling around.

The weapon is Longbow. I didn't like this idea at first, considering Sword over it as a melee condi weapon, but the more I consider longbow the more I really like the idea. It will use approximately 2 mark skills which means you can get new synergy with soul marks as well as a mark trait that the would go along with the long bow. Perhaps causing marks to inflict bleeding which could further increase the staffs utility so cross synergy is there. The bow and Pulse tracker as a whole wouldn't have the high number of unique conditions that the Scourge has, so Bleeding, minor crippling and short lasting immobilize would be the majority. Possibly blinds.

The shroud will be melee and each attack will cause some number of bleeding. Expect the spec to be able to get up to 40-50 stacks of bleeding. You'll be striking foes with claws to rend flesh and possibly boons. The Shroud will steal life for most of its skills and wont act as an extra health pool, but rather eat your health away while its active, incentivizing you to be hyper active with it and use it as your aggressive assault. The shroud will not lock you out of being healed or your utility as a consequence.

Glyphs are the Skill type of choice, allowing for function change in and out of the shroud. How this will function i'm still workshopping it. Glyph of Order will likely be taking inspiration from the old Necromancer order skills which its function will likely be vastly different in shroud and out. We'll see how that goes. I might drop Glyphs but I really like the idea of Glyphs being awakened with the power of the necromancer's blood becoming more powerful but having some unique function changes.

We'll see how it goes. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to add or don't agree with. Its all subject to change.

Archived