Teach me to condi cleanse

Temper.2190

So I'm a silver pvper, trying to improve, and I find that I consistently die because I don't notice conditions. I've been playing a lot of revenant lately (the standard metabattle build), which is weak to conditions, but has multiple cleanses. My problem is that is the heat of a fight, I seem to be able to notice telegraphed attacks and dodge or evade them (most of the time), but I often die to conditions without even noticing. This is partly because I'm watching the other player, trying to anticipate big attacks to dodge or block.

I seem to notice torment more than other conditions, but die like mad to bleeding and burning.

Does anyone have any tips for learning to clear conditions? I figure I'll just do some matches where I focus on that, but I'm curious if anyone has any tips that have helped them.

Thing with rev is, they have no good condi clears.best thing I can suggest if you are struggling to condi damage is to use sigil of cleansing. the cleanse trait in invocations, and use your staff 4 creatively.

as some general advice, don't clear a single stack of bleed, burn or torment, especially if a condi player did not apply it. condi get thrown around on power builds too, and they do nothing. a single condi clear will clear 1 stack of a condi, or 100 stacks of a condi. sometimes you will however have to waste condi clear on chill, fear cripple. or poison. chill fear and cripple are kinda obvious, but poison may need to be cleared since it nerfs your healing while you have it.

lastly if you are playing herald, careful around necros, since they can currupt your boons into condis.

James gives good advice - don't blow your cleanses on small stacks, especially if you know the opponent is looking to stack more quite soon. Rev does indeed struggle with condi cleanse, but you do have some extremely powerful tools to carry you through bad bursts. The herald heal comes to mind - if you know the enemy's rotation, you can just heal right through their condi nuke with patience and good timing.

But overall, I feel like this is more of a UI issue for you. Your eye should constantly be flitting on your boon/condi status area. If you don't have the coordination to keep track of both that and combat at the same time... just more practice, I guess?

Generally what said above is correct, use your cleanses smartly to get the most benefit out of them, and if you can see you are about to take too much condition damage, try to get your glint heal out while working your way out.

In general though, your best bet with revenant vs condition builds is to evade the conditions before they are even applied. Treat their attacks like a power build, assume that you have to evade the damage like you do vs a power build cause your cleanse is limited.This means you need to learn the big condi burst tells such as..

Scourge starts pulsing a lot, and/or raising their hand to create ghastly breach. Or the torch 5.

Mesmer clones relocating (axe 3 usually followed by shatters jaunt etc). Or 3 seconds after they go invis the torch explosion.

Thief st... oh it has no animation xD you have to predict it.

Not many other condi builds around at the moment but that’s the idea.

@BeLZedaR.4790 is correct, every single condi build (arguably not scourge though) rely on 1-3 key weapon/profession skills to ramp up their condition damage. Avoid these and the pressure will be nonexistent until their cooldowns are back up. Against scourges also use the terrain to your advantage, if you can jump in and out of their AoE's do it, and save your big cleanses/heals (glint heal) for when they are low and you intend to down them by tanking their attacks close range.

Rev (atleast power) has an amazing kit to deal with most condi builds actively, not so much passively. So use the evades on staff 3 and 5, the teleports of Shiro + sword 5 and 3, superspeed to get out of circles and glint heal for a full heal while outlasting some condition stacks.

You might also want to try the sigil that removes movement impairing effects on swap, because your fights should be fast so the 18 sec cooldown doesn't really matter. Since cripple, chill and immobilize are so prevalent in the game atm, not wasting skill cleanses on them mean you can get rid of the more damaging ones when needed. (Notice that because of the CD there is no reason to put one of these in both weapon sets, so Cleansing and Purging sigils would be of more use in the other set depending on how much cleanse you feel is needed)

Besides not getting hit by condis in the first place, your build should be running staff with a sigil of cleansing as well as the trait that clears a condition on weapon swap.

What you need to focus on getting rid of with your staff 4 as well as the sigil/trait is the damaging conditions. A lot of revenants make the mistake of not using their shiro dodgeroll to cleanse immobilize, cripple, and chill, decreasing the chance you'll remove one of the damaging conditions. Always use it first to get rid of the CC condis first, then you can legend swap back to glint and use staff 4 if necessary.

Archived