Deleted

Aomine.5012

As far as I know this one doesn't hide posts or anything, just provides a count of people who agree and disagree. So it's not like people can spam thumbs down to hide posts they don't want to see.

I have mixed feelings on it showing everyone who up/down voted posts, but I think that could be self-correcting, if you're not willing for everyone to see how you reacted to a post you don't do it.

Overall I'm thinking we should wait and see how it goes. I've known some forums which had to get rid of post counts and ranks because of toxic behaviour (like people insisting if someone with a higher post count disagreed with you they were automatically right, regardless of what they said, because they'd posted more) and others where it's never come close to being an issue. Every community is different and I'd rather see how it goes than remove what could be a useful feature because it might be misused.

The purpose of the down vote was to push troll comments to the bottom so no one really has to read them (think imgur). Helpful or good comments get upvoted and moved to the top so those are the ones people are likely to see. Game forums are a chronological discussion. Downvoting a post HOPEFULLY does not change the order of posting.

@Ubi.4136 said:The purpose of the down vote was to push troll comments to the bottom so no one really has to read them (think imgur). Helpful or good comments get upvoted and moved to the top so those are the ones people are likely to see. Game forums are a chronological discussion. Downvoting a post HOPEFULLY does not change the order of posting.

If you ever go to GW2 reddit, you'd notice that most of the posts that're being bumped up are just some random comedy posts that does not generate any useful discussion. The REAL discussion has been downvoted because people don't like to hear things they don't agree on, even if you show them statistical data to back up your claim.

@Ashantara.8731 said:It's funny how some people thumb-down even completely neutral posts that do not, in the slightest, express an opinion. That can indeed be called "trolling", and there is nothing you can do about it, especially since now it can be done 100% anonymously.

This is what I also find funny. Why thumb-down a post that offers statistical data for example? It's almost as if some people are using the thumbs-down on a per-user basis, going to thumb-down those that they disagreed with in the past for example. Without even reading the post

@Aomine.5012 said:This is the main reason why I generally leave Reddit alone because people can abuse the thumb down feature if you debate with them.

Thumb Up can be kept to encourage people posting useful and friendly thread, but thumb down really should be eliminated to avoid toixc behavior.

Seriously, most forums other than reddit removes the thumb down feature already.

So why Anet has to bring it back?

Why is it that someone expressing disagreement with your post, without offensive commentary, is considered abuse or toxic?

@Ashen.2907 said:Why is it that someone expressing disagreement with your post, without offensive commentary, is considered abuse or toxic?

In order to disagree on something, there must be an opinion involved. As I stated in my previous post, if someone doesn't post an opinion in their post, clicking a downvote is mere trolling.

@maddoctor.2738 said:This is what I also find funny. Why thumb-down a post that offers statistical data for example? It's almost as if some people are using the thumbs-down on a per-user basis, going to thumb-down those that they disagreed with in the past for example. Without even reading the post

Exactly.

Archived