Do you use the wiki's Quick links page?

Greener.6204

With our focus on improving forward-facing resources (i.e. the pages which visitors encounter), the wiki community would like to test the efficacy of its Quick links page. To this end, if you could reply to the poll, it would be appreciated. Alternatively, you can contribute to the discussion on the wiki's Community Portal page.

Note that while the poll itself is quantitative, we're quite interested in the qualitative responses.

Do you use the wiki's Quick links page, located in toolbar on the left side of the wiki? Why or why not? What could be improved?

Like TheQuickFox, I didn't know of the existence of that page. To be honest, I am not sure I will use it now, since once I have gone to /wiki, it is simpler to just search for the specifics of what I want than to go to a general links page.

I do find /wiki et (event timers) and /wiki wb (world bosses) incredibly useful and handy.

Does the quick links page have a shortcut code for in-game?

I know about the page; I don't use it.

But then: I'm not the target audience and I doubt that folks who answer forum polls are likely to be either. Quick Links is for people who (a) don't know what they need to look for or (b) people who know what they are looking for, but not how to find it.

I think it would be more useful to have the quick-links focus on things that aren't obvious to those new to the game or to the existence of the wiki:

• Guides, especially to finding gear with specific stats/rarity, to efficient use of resources,
  • Updates, especially what has recently changed and upcoming changes, especially links to planned balance changes
  • Dailies and timers, current or upcoming festivals
  • Lore, timelines, story recaps
  • Resources, including links to reporting exploits, filing a support ticket, etc
  • Basic semantic queries

Anyone looking for details on the professions can type, "profession" easily enough (even if some of us are lazy about it). But someone looking for how to get harrier trinkets or viper's exotic? How do they even know where to start? What if (as the OP & I have discussed before), someone wants to find out which ascended armor boxes offer celestial stats?

The wiki has all that information... and much more. But few people realize this and even many who do wouldn't know where to look for it.

I realize there's a lot of overlap between what I've typed above and the main page. The difference would be in the presentation. Instead of a list of links (main page), it would be more a list of questions with links to the article addressing it. So instead of ...

Appearance• Wardrobe • Dye • Outfits

It would be more like:

Fashion Wars• What dyes can I get from my character's 3rd|4th|5th birthday?• What's the difference between an outfit and stand alone armor?

Something of a cross between the current "quick links" and an FAQ.

I've never noticed it before either. The vast majority of the time I use the Wiki by going to the main page and then searching for the page I want (or a related page, hoping to find a link if I'm not sure what the one I want is called).

A lot of the pages on the Quick Links are ones I use a lot (particularly the armour galleries, Attribute Combinations, Equipment acquisition by stats, ascended equipment and the event timer page) but apart from the armour galleries I feel like it would still be quicker to search for the page I want than to go to Quick Links and see if it's there.

Do you mean the quick access links that appears below all articles, or the page itself with only quick access links? for the first one I use them A LOT, but the second one didn't knew that even existed and even if I know it exists I still prefer to just make a quick search on google to get to the page I want.

Edit:Now that I give it a better look it seems so useful! gonna start using that page (after I have reached the wiki through google heh)

No, but I don't think that I'm the audience for that page. I kow my way around the interwebs and the wiki enough that I don't need quisk starter stuff. I also have some of the wiki pages I regularily use bookmarked. I use the /wiki command a lot and advertise for it in game, it's an awesome feature that should be known to more players, especially newer ones should be prompted to the wiki at some early point of their playing experience.However, having such a quickstart site is great I guess and is by far more informative than the front page. I will definitely advertise /wiki qal from now on. :) Keep up the good work :)

No, most of the times, if not always, I know what I am going to look for on Wiki when I visit it. So, I use the Search bar right away. Quick links seem to me a bit more like a tool to surfing the wiki, which is something I never did, I go there to look for specific information rather than randomly view stuff. However, it can be quite useful to quickly navigate to Profession Traits, those take longer when using search bar.

I didn't know it existed and honestly I won't start using it even now that I do.

Most of the time when I use the wiki I just type /wiki and add an item link. That way I find all the info I need about what to use that item for, how I got it in the first place and how to get more.

What I would like to be improved is a way to find gear and stats. When I search for "stats" I would like a list of all available stats (with links). Each stat combination should have a page that lists all possible ways to get the stat combination for all slots (including stat conversion). Example: Let's say you want to equip your character with a new set. You start by searching for "stats" and decide to go for "Settler" stats. How many clicks do you need to find out how to craft armour and weapons? Hint: I haven't found a way to reach that result via clicking at all.

Edit: Ok, I found a way, but it is not really obvious and I believe many new players are confused by the process.

Archived