Concerns about Elementalist - Page 18 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Professions Elementalist

Concerns about Elementalist

Comments

• I don't think we need perma pets i just think we need to rework how ele pets work for instance just to summon from lesser elemental glyph like:
    Fire - summon a fire imp that just flings fireballs at enemies
    Water - summon multiple orbs that apply heal if you drop bellow a certain threshold (and comsume one of the orbs)
    Air - summon a spark that attacks from a distance but if you drop under 50% hp it switches places with the ele and stuns the current target
    Earth - summon an elemental that taunts everyone who attacks the ele
    And then you can make them be permanent but to have some drawbacks in their use. Like the water one always attacks and everything but if it heals you too much you will have to resummon them or the air one if it switches positions like 3 times it despawns with the last telepost it did, earth can jsut be super tanky and die when the health reaches zero, and fire idk something else. The pets ele has now are all basically the same and just either get cc'ed to death or despawn after the time frame which can at most times be just at the worst moment and then you have to wait for the recharge timer.

Elementalist - my one true love
    Just faffin around in OW
    ANet fix your servers plox

• Tere.4759Tere.4759 Member ✭✭✭

@skunkstank.6128 said:
    I don't think we need perma pets i just think we need to rework how ele pets work for instance just to summon from lesser elemental glyph like:
    Water - summon multiple orbs that apply heal if you drop bellow a certain threshold (and comsume one of the orbs)
    Air - summon a spark that attacks from a distance but if you drop under 50% hp it switches places with the ele and stuns the current target
    And then you can make them be permanent but to have some drawbacks in their use. Like the water one always attacks and everything but if it heals you too much you will have to resummon them or the air one if it switches positions like 3 times it despawns with the last telepost it did, earth can jsut be super tanky and die when the health reaches zero, and fire idk something else. The pets ele has now are all basically the same and just either get cc'ed to death or despawn after the time frame which can at most times be just at the worst moment and then you have to wait for the recharge timer.

So sad, took my elementalist out for the first time in a long, long time and ugh, just ugh. I used to main her a long time ago before all the nerfs. So, I took her back to DR and bought some dire armor because I want her tanky enough to survive open world and more than one enemy pounding on her in tight spaces. She's okay from a distance but not every fight is from a distance. Anyway, I agree with what you said especially about the earth elemental tanking. The devs must really hate elementalists to have killed them so badly. Squishiest class in the game and not even the most powerful. My necro tanks everything. My elementalist will go down if a strong wind blows at her.

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tere.4759 said:

@skunkstank.6128 said:
    I don't think we need perma pets i just think we need to rework how ele pets work for instance just to summon from lesser elemental glyph like:

So sad, took my elementalist out for the first time in a long, long time and ugh, just ugh. I used to main her a long time ago before all the nerfs. So, I took her back to DR and bought some dire armor because I want her tanky enough to survive open world and more than one enemy pounding on her in tight spaces. She's okay from a distance but not every fight is from a distance. Anyway, I agree with what you said especially about the earth elemental tanking. The devs must really hate elementalists to have killed them so badly. Squishiest class in the game and not even the most powerful. My necro tanks everything. My elementalist will go down if a strong wind blows at her.

Have you tried tempest or weaver? I know core ele is not in a great place, but the elite specs are quite capable in all game modes. If you have dire gear, you'd already be set to try my weaver build. It's a beast for open world, although I find it works great for PvP, roaming, and fractals as well.

If you haven't already, check out my thread here on the elementalist forum. It has video, build links, and discussion: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/107218/open-world-domination-fire-weaver#latest

This is not to say that I disagree with the assessment of core ele or that the elite specs are problem-free. But it's not all doom and gloom. Maybe you will find something to find your way with the class again?

edited August 19, 2020

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Tere.4759 said:

@skunkstank.6128 said:

Have you tried tempest or weaver? I know core ele is not in a great place, but the elite specs are quite capable in all game modes. If you have dire gear, you'd already be set to try my weaver build. It's a beast for open world, although I find it works great for PvP, roaming, and fractals as well.

If you haven't already, check out my thread here on the elementalist forum. It has video, build links, and discussion: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/107218/open-world-domination-fire-weaver#latest

This is not to say that I disagree with the assessment of core ele or that the elite specs are problem-free. But it's not all doom and gloom. Maybe you will find something to find your way with the class again?

I have tried tempest, ugh. I need to get weaver, which is what I'm working towards (found a weaver build online), but have to get the hero points to open weaver up and need to survive to do that. I don't like tempest.

• AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Tere.4759 said:

@Tere.4759 said:

@skunkstank.6128 said:

I have tried tempest, ugh. I need to get weaver, which is what I'm working towards (found a weaver build online), but have to get the hero points to open weaver up and need to survive to do that. I don't like tempest.

Without knowing your preferences, if I were struggling to survive with tempest, I would try something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Condi_Tempest

If gear cost/acquisition is an issue, just run dire exotic. You can use the same stats on a weaver build like this, which I can confirm is amazing for solo open world/story play:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKXdvaA-zRRYcRDHHZQjlROJQmFgDzSVSbA-e

Here's a video sample of my weaver solo against the Zintl Inquisitor HP in Tangled Depths. This challenge features a champion accompanied by a veteran and a number of normal units on a fast respawn timer. If a build can survive this challenge and deal enough damage to beat the respawn timer, it can handle just about anything!

If condi isn't your preference and you're still struggling, feel free to hit me up in game. I don't mind helping out with some hero points if I'm not busy. I'm on NA, not EU.

@Tere.4759 said:

@Tere.4759 said:

@skunkstank.6128 said:

Without knowing your preferences, if I were struggling to survive with tempest, I would try something like this: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Tempest_-_Condi_Tempest

If gear cost/acquisition is an issue, just run dire exotic. You can use the same stats on a weaver build like this, which I can confirm is amazing for solo open world/story play:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKXdvaA-zRRYcRDHHZQjlROJQmFgDzSVSbA-e

Here's a video sample of my weaver solo against the Zintl Inquisitor HP in Tangled Depths. This challenge features a champion accompanied by a veteran and a number of normal units on a fast respawn timer. If a build can survive this challenge and deal enough damage to beat the respawn timer, it can handle just about anything!

If condi isn't your preference and you're still struggling, feel free to hit me up in game. I don't mind helping out with some hero points if I'm not busy. I'm on NA, not EU.

I have always preferred condition damage but because power at one point was nerfed into the ground and condition was the way to go. Anet just can't make up their minds. I'm told condition weaver is the way to go so I to get out there and get those HPs. At the moment, I am finally enjoying my warrior with a longbow, imagine that (condition berserker).

• I mained d/d Ele for the longest time when I played years ago. Loved the active playstyle, and only felt like I was in real danger when I messed up my rotations.

After a several year break from GW2, I came back ealier this year and really wanted to like my Ele. I've been running fresh air Tempest, and the clunkiness of having to run around channeling overload air makes me feel like I can't dodge when I need to and I end up feeling very squishy. It's very possible I just don't get how to play Ele anymore, but I remember having such a good time on core d/d back in the day that it feels frustrating.

• @Gibson.4036 said:
    I mained d/d Ele for the longest time when I played years ago. Loved the active playstyle, and only felt like I was in real danger when I messed up my rotations.

After a several year break from GW2, I came back ealier this year and really wanted to like my Ele. I've been running fresh air Tempest, and the clunkiness of having to run around channeling overload air makes me feel like I can't dodge when I need to and I end up feeling very squishy. It's very possible I just don't get how to play Ele anymore, but I remember having such a good time on core d/d back in the day that it feels frustrating.

the power nerfs, nerfs to protection duration, and nerf to healing is preventing core d/d from being relevent. Imagine going through all your attunements, stacking 15 might and then landing a 4k fire grab while a holosmith can do that in 2 seconds by spamming grenade auto attack.

• @Gibson.4036 said:
    I mained d/d Ele for the longest time when I played years ago. Loved the active playstyle, and only felt like I was in real danger when I messed up my rotations.

I agree. I can do well with tempest. It's a good spec. But the 4 second channels and doubled attunement cooldowns have always felt like a step in the wrong direction from my perspective. It sounds like you feel the same way. Have you tried weaver? I admit it felt really clunky and weird to me at first, but once I got the hang of it the fast attunement swaps and not having to commit fully to a single element are actually really nice perks and I have a hard time going back to core or tempest now.

• >

I agree. I can do well with tempest. It's a good spec. But the 4 second channels and doubled attunement cooldowns have always felt like a step in the wrong direction from my perspective. It sounds like you feel the same way. Have you tried weaver? I admit it felt really clunky and weird to me at first, but once I got the hang of it the fast attunement swaps and not having to commit fully to a single element are actually really nice perks and I have a hard time going back to core or tempest now.

I'm going to have to try that. I have a character of each profession, and since getting the expansions ealier this year have done enough hero points to unlock one specialization on each one. Currently finishing up earning my skyscale, and the next step after that is to go back an try and unlock the other specialization on all of the characters I'm not enjoying.

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4, 2020

One of the issues I have is that the different affinities are a little too specialized when they should all be a little bit hybridized in different ways. For example, water way overemphasizes healing when it should be split between water and air giving water a little more space for solo play and offensive builds, and some of air's control effects could be redistributed as well with Earth taking some. All four should be capable of doing respectable damage with various supplementary effects.

The second issue is that they really just don't have good enough damage mitigation or avoidance. Offensively, they aren't really substantially better than other classes and yet they are extremely gimpy defensively. They need stronger defensive traits and/or skills.

• Only problem with D/D core right now is lack of reliable damage. Fire grab does the same damage as a grenade auto attack. Weaver takes advantage of having more damage options with dual attacks. They need to beef up offhand dagger in my opinion. Fire grab should be hitting harder than burning speed. Transmute frost should have triple the base heal. Updraft should be 30s base with how unreliable it is now. Earthquake knockdown should be 3 seconds so we can actually hit a churning earth.

• @Gibson.4036 said:

Give D/F LightningRod Weaver a go in pvp mate

• medivh.4725medivh.4725 Member ✭✭
    edited September 17, 2020

Good topic...

Having played the Ele on Ashura myself I want to chip into this discussion, as I have opinions of my own to contribute to GW2 community.....

I played Ashura race on Ele class I would say the race is too minified I can't enjoy the weapons, outfits properly and often have to zoom in to see in close action.

I am disappointed Ele class have no basic combo during combat. Shooting spells is fine but how about an alternative during close combat? I already know Elementalist can summon sword, axe, shield etc. And player have to go fetch the magical tool to use it.

The constant switching of elements, and limited life span of summoned weapon, means essentially everything is on time frame. My Ashura elementalist kept running away from enemies despite a supposedly array of tools and elements at disposal.

The ele class seem so complex it robbed the excitement of basic combat away for me on game play. Yes I subsequently decided to invest in another character class and deleted my Elementalist. Which is why I am writing my experience having played the Ele to level 28. I gave up on the Ele

My take on the topic is this class should have something to focus in. For instance, on a great barrier defense. I noticed the Ashuras did not utilitize bots as a pet on auto attack and it really is a miss. Ashuras should have bots on a auto attack so as the main can focus properly casting spells attack.

There is no need to have 4 different element keyblind switch, it just complicates the class robbing the fun out of the supposedly excitement in a basic combat.

So to summarise make it bigger, dwarf size is ok but not minis.. Give bot on auto attack. Say 4 different bots for switching, crawler, air, shooter, etc. Make its game play less complex. So many elements, but is it necessary. At close combat what do eles do. Why no combos. What can they do besides running away and waiting for next spell timer to clear. If they're the supposed powerful spellcasters, why keep avoiding enemies. Please grant them a strength. Perhaps a protector bot, etc.

• @medivh.4725 said:
    Good topic...

Having played the Ele on Ashura myself I want to chip into this discussion, as I have opinions of my own to contribute to GW2 community.....

I played Ashura race on Ele class I would say the race is too minified I can't enjoy the weapons, outfits properly and often have to zoom in to see in close action.

I am disappointed Ele class have no basic combo during combat. Shooting spells is fine but how about an alternative during close combat? I already know Elementalist can summon sword, axe, shield etc. And player have to go fetch the magical tool to use it.

The constant switching of elements, and limited life span of summoned weapon, means essentially everything is on time frame. My Ashura elementalist kept running away from enemies despite a supposedly array of tools and elements at his disposal.

The ele class seem so complex it robbed the excitement of basic combat away for me on game play. Yes I subsequently decided to invest in another character class and deleted my Elementalist. Which is why I am writing my experience having played the Ele to level 28. I gave up on the Ele

My take on the topic is this class should have something to focus in. For instance, on a great barrier defense. I noticed the Ashuras did not utilitize bots as a pet on auto attack and it really is a miss. Ashuras should have bots on a auto attack so as the main can focus properly casting spells attack.

There is no need to have 4 different element keyblind switch, it just complicates the class robbing the fun out of the supposedly excitement in a basic combat.

So to summarise make it bigger, dwarf size is ok but not minis.. Give bot on auto attack. Say 4 different bots for switching, crawler, air, shooter, etc. Make its game play less complex. So many elements, but is it necessary. At close combat what do eles do. Why no combos. What can they do besides running away and waiting for next spell timer to clear. If they're the supposed powerful spellcasters, why keep avoiding enemies. Please grant them a strength. Perhaps a protector bot, etc.

With respect, you made it to level 28 and it sounds like you did what many of us do as new players: Camping fire in staff and kiting around like a chicken with your head cut off while you wait on cooldowns. Then you gave up. Guess what? I did exactly the same thing when I was new! But do you think maybe you missed something?

You seem to want intricate combat (i.e. no waiting on cooldowns) at close range with less running around. I'm with you! Here's a video I recorded last night of what elementalist could be. It sounds maybe like what you want (no kiting, lots of combos, never waiting on cooldowns, always busy!), but I admit I am confused by your comments on bots and your desire to reduce the complexity of the class. That would appear to be in conflict with your frustration with waiting on skills, but I am unclear on that.

Maybe you should come back to elementalist when you're more comfortable with the gameplay and try dagger and/or one of the elite specs (It's what I did!). And don't give up so quickly! The fact is, this is a complex class. It takes some practice to learn and probably a lot of it to get really good with it!

1. their coolest utility skills, conjure weapons, feel clunky to use. couldn't their duration be increased to 60 seconds in pve ? everyone drops them in raids after 1 rotations so it wouldn't affect balance in any way. or make them like Engineering Kits, but with cooldowns ( having an channel time just to change your weapon skills feels the worst)
    2. water weapon skills are a mess. for example , water trident (scepter 3 skill) is not only useless, put on a dps main hand where ven water 1 and 2 do only damage, but it has the 20 seconds cooldown too. likewise, ice bow aa has higher hps than even water staff 1, but the rest of the skills only do dmg.

The strangest thing is that this problem could be solved so easily : remove base damage/healing from water heals and giving them high power/healing power scaling to fit both roles. so why hasn't that been done yet ?
    there is so much you can do with the concept of profession-that-shall-not-be-named, but in game sadly it just feels slow and clunky to use most times.

• medivh.4725medivh.4725 Member ✭✭
    edited September 17, 2020

With respect, you made it to level 28 and it sounds like you did what many of us do as new players: Camping fire in staff and kiting around like a chicken with your head cut off while you wait on cooldowns. Then you gave up. Guess what? I did exactly the same thing when I was new! But do you think maybe you missed something?

Yes. With ele I knew I had to try it. And sadly it didn't work for me. And yes too that I always feel I could miss something. However Lvl28 is about the time and patience I could spare exploring one class. That said I am enjoying ranger, thief, and revenant with more melee action and attacking combos..

You seem to want intricate combat (i.e. no waiting on cooldowns) at close range with less running around. I'm with you! Here's a video I recorded last night of what elementalist could be. It sounds maybe like what you want (no kiting, lots of combos, never waiting on cooldowns, always busy!), but I admit I am confused by your comments on bots and your desire to reduce the complexity of the class. That would appear to be in conflict with your frustration with waiting on skills, but I am unclear on that.

Bots or drone that attack like in one of the quest. Like how the ranger class have animals to do attack.

Ele seem to have too many abilities, I am confused as to when to use which. I just kept rotating them until I got fed up and quit the ele all together,.

The fact is, this is a complex class. It takes some practice to learn

Yes when i tried reading guess what the full tutorial on this class on youtube is more then an hour. I could almost fall asleep watching the full tutorial. So you cld just imagine. My take to make ele work and popular, take away the unnecessary complexity. Remember if it is game then it is suppose to be fun. Anet need bring in fun factor to ele. Try not burden the gamer with so many skills with seemingly no specialization. Too many element switching, I am not sure how that is fun

• @medivh.4725 said:

Yes. With ele I knew I had to try it. And sadly it didn't work for me. And yes too that I always feel I could miss something. However Lvl28 is about the time and patient I could spare exploring one class. That said I am enjoying ranger and thief with more melee action and attack combos..

Bots or drone that attack like in one of the quest. Like how the ranger class have animals to do attack.

Ele seem to have too many abilities, I am confused as to when to use which. I just kept rotating them until I got fed up and quit the ele all together,.

The fact is, this is a complex class. It takes some practice to learn

Yes when i tried reading guess what the full tutorial on this class on youtube is more then an hour. I could almost fall asleep watching the full tutorial. So you cld just imagine

Ahh, I see. Ele does have some pet skills in the glyphs that summon elementals. I believe you can summon up to 4 of them at a time and the earth elemental is supposedly a pretty legit tank? I don't know. Pets aren't my style.

As for the complexity, I'm afraid it is just how the class works. Learning so many skills and how to properly rotate between them is a challenge. Maybe you will be up to trying again later. That's how it was for me and I absolutely love the class these days!

• I am ele main.

Last night on reset I played rev in wvw. For the first time.

Good damage, lots of boons, good health, no problems with condis or heals.

Elementalist needs a massive buff. This is stupid. Rev can keep up weaver dmg, with negligible risk, without running glass AND shell out boons like there is no tomorrow, kitten? Anet WAKE UP.

• Elementalist ? I gave up this class years ago . want a replacement in WVW ? go necro or rev . ELE IS DEAD . rip. i already sent the flowers long time ago. of course the 1% of the super elites weavers and tempest will tell you otherwise but... its 1%

Born into the battlefield...For the glory of WvW !

• mtnjkbm.7452mtnjkbm.7452 Member ✭✭
    edited October 9, 2020

imo its just a jack of all trades and a master of none.
    it can be kinda usefull here and there but there are better options with other classes in almost every gamemode.
    be it for zerging/roaming in wvw, duelling, pvp, dps bot in raids/fractals or pve farming ect.ect.

if u really like the design of the class/ its skill animations, or the roleplay aspect of it ect. just go for it.
    but u will be playing the game on hard mode while everyone else is playing normal/easy mode.

• Arcaneus.6931Arcaneus.6931 Member ✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020

One thing I find frustrating about this class is that you are always forced to play as a Fire Mage, it has Elementalist in its name but you can't actually play a Earth, Ice/Water, or even Air Mage, just because the rest act more like crappy utility skills than anything and you will find yourself cycling back to Fire Attunement Always. I get that they have this mixed rotation you are forced to cycle through but it gets very irritating after awhile for me.

For me it would have been nice if they gave us an option to choose the elements we want to focus on like 1 or 2 elements and the F1 to F2 would be only be the element you chosen, the down side being you now longer have access to the other elements unless you respec or something but you can now weapon swap.

The funny thing is you can already play as a Fire mage if you go Guardian, Warrior Berserker(Melee), Mesmer or Necromancer, all have some form of fire condition or damage based trait or abilities. So in essence Eles Fire Attunement isn't really all that unique or special of a skill to be forced into playing it just because other other classes can also deal fire damage as well.

I really wanted to play as an Ice Mage but god kitten is it disappointing.

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arcaneus.6931 said:
    One thing I find frustrating about this class is that you are always forced to play as a Fire Mage, it has Elementalist in its name but you can't actually play a Earth, Ice/Water, or even Air Mage, just because the rest act more like crappy utility skills than anything and you will find yourself cycling back to Fire Attunement Always. I get that they have this mixed rotation you are forced to cycle through but it gets very irritating after awhile for me.

For me it would have been nice if they gave us an option to choose the elements we want to focus on like 1 or 2 elements and the F1 to F2 would be only be the element you chosen, the down side being you now longer have access to the other elements unless you respec or something but you can now weapon swap.

The funny thing is you can already play as a Fire mage if you go Guardian, Warrior Berserker(Melee), Mesmer or Necromancer, all have some form of fire condition or damage based trait or abilities. So in essence Eles Fire Attunement isn't really all that unique or special of a skill to be forced into playing it just because other other classes can also deal fire damage as well.

FA tempest focuses on air mostly, so do LR d/f weaver and FA scepter weaver. Support tempest builds are basically water focused, with some earth and fire depending on content and purpose. Condi builds are usually built with both fire and earth.

Most weapons actually favor air over fire when it comes to power builds.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

edited October 11, 2020

@steki.1478 said:
    FA tempest focuses on air mostly, so do LR d/f weaver and FA scepter weaver. Support tempest builds are basically water focused, with some earth and fire depending on content and purpose. Condi builds are usually built with both fire and earth.

Yeah but I shouldn't be required to take a specific weapon if I want to focus on a single element.
    I prefer using Staff on eles because I like long range.

Fire and Air shouldn't be the only elements that should available for damage dealing. I think it would be better if they just moved all of the utilities away from weapon skills all together, I just want to play as an Ice Mage but I cant even do that on Eles. I don't like the idea of having some elements locked for utility and support only :/

I get were you are coming from but I would rather just have the option to focus on 1 element and maybe have F1 for a chosen element to be damage based and F2 be Utility skills instead for that element. For example:

Ice Mage
    F1: Ice = Condi/Damage
    F2: Water= Healing/Support
    Earth Mage
    F1: Earth = Condi/Damage
    F2: Magnetic= Defensive/Support
    Fire Mage
    F1: Fire = Condi/Damage
    F2: Magma= Dodge/Defensive
    Air Mage
    F1: Lightning = Condi/Damage
    F2: Air = Dodge/Mobility

• steki.1478steki.1478 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

@steki.1478 said:

Yeah but I shouldn't be required to take a specific weapon if I want to focus on a single element.

Fire and Air shouldn't be the only elements that should available for damage dealing. I think it would be better if they just moved all of the utilities away from weapon skills all together, I just want to play as an Ice Mage but I cant even do that on Eles. I don't like the idea of having some elements locked for utility and support only :/

I get were you are coming from but I would rather just have the option to focus on 1 element and maybe have F1 for a chosen element to be damage based and F2 be Utility skills instead for that element. For example:

Ice Mage
    Earth Mage
    Fire Mage
    Air Mage
    F2: Air = Dodge/Utility

We only have 2 elite specs and they can cover only so much. Can't expect them to do everything and you can't expect all weapons to do that as well. They all have their purposes.

Deso's favorite FROG
    Master of afk and kiting
    The God of Pips and Gud Deeps
    Froggo himself

• Arheundel.6451Arheundel.6451 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2020

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

Which is the saddest , most stupid, absurd , ridiculous thing I ever seen in a videogame......I can do 3x more burning dmg on a freaking knight class...than the actual class supposed to be a fire mage template...every time I get reminded of the absurdity of this gaming studio....I get reminded why I keep away from it now

From all this
    https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Fire_Magic

-A wise man once said- "Fight cheese with cheese or be cheesed in return, mind not those who will accuse you of being a cheese as they like cheese themselves"

• Tuco.2419Tuco.2419 Member ✭✭

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

@steki.1478 said:

tbh I think elementalists should be most focused on holding onto archtype of being the strongest casting DPS class with good support/utility, not demanding they can pick an arbitrary element, an arbitrary weapon and be successful in an arbitrary role.

• Elementalist

Tornado: Increased cooldown from 90 seconds to 120 seconds in PvP only.

just LOL

• Arkaile.5604Arkaile.5604 Member ✭✭✭

@AliamRationem.5172

You sure showed that PvE mob who's boss - oooweee...

Good lord, this has been a long time coming. The fire weaver build you seem to love pushing everywhere is made to address the major weakness of ele, that being it's made of wet, single-ply, gas station restroom toilet paper, by stacking mostly dire stats and then building for burning damage, the most damaging condition in the game. This makes the build much more welcoming to new, inexperienced players, which is good, but that's all they'll ever use that ele for. They could use the exact same gear on a scourge, be tankier, bring a wider array of functions into play (boon rip for instance), and have 900 range on most of their attacks. I'm not obsessive enough to test this, but I suspect they'd have better dps as well due to larger aoes and being able to kite better, and that gets to the point others have been making here: ele can work, but it takes more effort and special builds to do what other classes accomplish much more easily, and that is putting it favourably.

As for fractals, it doesn't say much that you can hit 40k burn ticks here and there on this build because that's what it's meant to do, but that doesn't mean it's all that good for anything beyond t2 and some of t3 because by that point other players will be getting a better handle of their dps builds and blowing you out of the water. The best comparison would be the condi weaver build. That thing not only gets higher burn ticks, but it also has a significant amount of power damage and all that damage is sustained fairly evenly. I usually run my healbrand in cm groups and even on that slightly changed hb build with only 812 condi damage (before boons are considered) and no extra burning duration, I will see burning ticks of roughly 15k when I use Tome of Justice, but that doesn't mean it's good dps.

Push ele all you want, but we need to be clear on the fact that the fire weaver build you advertise is one with training wheels meant for new players and there are more effective, specialized builds on ele and even those will be superseded by what other classes can pull off.

SHINIES!

• JohnWater.5760JohnWater.5760 Member ✭✭✭

@Tere.4759 said:

Dude!
    The first time I played with Tempest I didn't like it too, but when I played Weaver was worse, you need to press twice as many buttons to do something good. I started to like Tempest when I found a Air Tempest build, it changed the way I play for better.
    Elementalist will always be squishy, Weaver has a little more health bar but still squishy.
    To play Elementalist, the first thing you need to master is dodge, after that you can easily play every build, you can't take any damage.

If you still want to try Tempest, try this:

I call this one Stormcaller

Berserker - Superior Rune of the Pack
    [&DQYpKxEuMBsXAQAAvgEAAEIBAADLAAAAJgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGAFsEGaUZCMKmI7iRil1kbbD-zVIYR03fINpAiQkEz0QNzCpjWA-w
    This build is focused on critical damage, you just need 2 skills to kill a regular mob.

This one Earth Walker
    Trailblazer - Superior Rune of the Ogre
    [&DQYaJiUdMBt0AAAAcwAAAJEAAAB0EgAAmRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGAFsEGaUZGsJmGrhViHzVXbD-zVJYkRffpUQgkTCUZI0RVY20kiPNA-w
    This one has Rock Dog as pet, it helps a lot with bleeding and also defense. Is focused on immobilization, which applies bleeds.
    A cheaper version of this can be
    Dire - Superior Rune of the Krait

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:
    I think ele just needs permanent pet/ summon.. especially skills with staff takes a long time to trigger damage. I don’t think elementalist should be face tanking mobs... it’s a mage class why can’t ANet make it strong enough that can kill monster before it reaches their face. If you make the damage not so strong then at least give elementalist a permanent pet to tank for them while they channel and cast whatever skill at back line.

In GW1 you can play elementalist casting at back line without worries because you can always put a tank in your team to tank for you.. GW2 nope.. nothing tanking for elementalist so staff is literally useless if you solo. And they try to fix this problem by introducing the sword so elementalist can get even closer to mobs and melee lol.

Please rework the staff to instant cast and instant damage if you don’t wanna give elementalist a permanent tank.
    I really want to enjoy elementalist with staff and have been waiting for years for ANet to do something about staff and pet..but guess it’s never gonna happen...

Staff skills needs to be faster, it is just horrible.
    Looks like they are carrying a 10Kg stick.
    It is super slow and weak, I totally agree with you.

edited October 17, 2020

@JohnWater.5760 said:
    Staff skills needs to be faster, it is just horrible.
    Looks like they are carrying a 10Kg stick.
    It is super slow and weak, I totally agree with you.

I can see why Fire is slow but I don't understand why other attunements are slow as well just because they do low damage.

IMO they should just make the staff 1 ability for water, air and earth do equal amount or as much damage as 1 for fire does because currently they are redundant, having those skills do so little damage is nothing more than bad RP to me because you will be just switching to fire 1 for better damage anyway and at best you lose what a millisecond in switching attunements? It adds nothing to gameplay of it.

I feel like it would be nice way of making players use different attunements as their primary besides Air and Fire, you would also have a decent damage ability while other attunements are in cooldown as well.

• Junkpile.7439Junkpile.7439 Member ✭✭✭✭

Why not give elementalist more hp and damage if they don't use any elite spec lines? Funny play ele when you have under 14k hp and 2k armor and still damage is horrible. I really hope that dude who got idea add barrier in game and give it only to the elite specs doesn't work for anet anymore.

Low quality trolling since launch
    Seafarer's Rest EotM Hero

• Arheundel.6451Arheundel.6451 Member ✭✭✭✭

@JohnWater.5760 said:

@Tere.4759 said:

Dude!
    The first time I played with Tempest I didn't like it too, but when I played Weaver was worse, you need to press twice as many buttons to do something good. I started to like Tempest when I found a Air Tempest build, it changed the way I play for better.
    Elementalist will always be squishy, Weaver has a little more health bar but still squishy.
    To play Elementalist, the first thing you need to master is dodge, after that you can easily play every build, you can't take any damage.

If you still want to try Tempest, try this:

I call this one Stormcaller

Berserker - Superior Rune of the Pack
    [&DQYpKxEuMBsXAQAAvgEAAEIBAADLAAAAJgAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGAFsEGaUZCMKmI7iRil1kbbD-zVIYR03fINpAiQkEz0QNzCpjWA-w
    This build is focused on critical damage, you just need 2 skills to kill a regular mob.

This one Earth Walker
    Trailblazer - Superior Rune of the Ogre
    [&DQYaJiUdMBt0AAAAcwAAAJEAAAB0EgAAmRIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=]
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGAFsEGaUZGsJmGrhViHzVXbD-zVJYkRffpUQgkTCUZI0RVY20kiPNA-w
    This one has Rock Dog as pet, it helps a lot with bleeding and also defense. Is focused on immobilization, which applies bleeds.
    A cheaper version of this can be
    Dire - Superior Rune of the Krait

Don't take damage? Easier said than done when all you have is couple of doge and 2-3 defensive utilities on medium/high CD - no ability to switch range mid combat and some of the slowest animations in game. There is no much room for error and you are locked into a specific range against which the enemy can play around, on top of that you need to sacrifice a great deal of sustain to obtain that level of dmg necessary to achieve anything.

There is much going on with ele that you forget how to actually have fun, I used to enjoy playing ele with all the combos and hard thinking required but with time I got tired of it...too much mental exercise for something supposed to be a videogame.

Too much planning ahead and not enough time to enjoy the game, at this point in life I use videogame to relax and ele is not for the faint of heart anymore, old d/d ele was kinda of chill to use...enjoyed ele up to core zerk FA scepter.....for a time I enjoyed fire weaver and...tempest but now.....screw this

-A wise man once said- "Fight cheese with cheese or be cheesed in return, mind not those who will accuse you of being a cheese as they like cheese themselves"

• I wish they just removed utilities from long range weapons and just made them more damage and defensive oriented based on attunements and moved utilities to utilities kitten, its kinda dumb imo for eles to have to use utilities from weapons than the utilities bar because for me the utilities bar is probably the most useless thing I have seen the abilities don't do that great deal of damage or give good support and have stupid cool down that's not worth it. I only see eles running with pets and the rest of utilities seem to be there for RP.

edited October 18, 2020

@Junkpile.7439 said:
    Why not give elementalist more hp and damage if they don't use any elite spec lines? Funny play ele when you have under 14k hp and 2k armor and still damage is horrible. I really hope that dude who got idea add barrier in game and give it only to the elite specs doesn't work for anet anymore.

IMO we chose elementalists because they are cloth class and for better damage at long range so you can kill your enemy while keeping a distance, that's how its supposed to be that's why we choose cloth class, I don't get why they go and make it melee oriented, if I wanted a melee class I would have gone for heavy armor classes. I would rather them have more long range damage options at least then their squishiness would be understandable. Currently its just feels absurd to play a cloth class at melee and long range, no wonder they die so easily.

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

@steki.1478 said:

I don't like that either, the name shouldn't even be Elementalist because the focus is always on fire.

Ice Mage
    Earth Mage
    Fire Mage
    Air Mage
    F2: Air = Dodge/Mobility

I also think so, I should somehow change the skills and be able to use the other elements for damage, the same damage that fire can.
    I have already spoken on countless threads, a Necromancer can be a great ice wizard and ELEMENTALIST cannot even come close to that.

• manu.7539manu.7539 Member ✭✭

Sword/dagger weaver badly need their stances to provide stability as they use to Try a fight vs a ranger (or a thief) with a sword/dagger weaver.. I mean u have no range, no reflects skills, ur immobilized, u cant swap weapon etc and when u finally get close enough to hit, kitten, they stealth! Rinse and repeat until u die!

Unblocable CC's could be a great asset If u cant keep ur opponent close to u with ur CC's and cant swap ur sword/dagger weapon set what can u do vs anyone ranging u? CC'S must work at least!

Its still fun to play sword/dagger weaver and useful for a solo roamer. I can cap a t2-t3 camp faster than most class. But still, fighting vs real peoples is a huge part of the fun in wvw but it have to be fair to be fun and its obviously not as it is for a sword/dagger weaver. I used to target ambiant creatures to leap to them and escape when I was in trouble, I barely can do it anymore since most of them have been removed! Seriously, give me a break ANET! Its totally insane to be a main sword/dagger weaver in wvw these days, pls help me!

• Pocky.3159Pocky.3159 Member ✭✭
    edited October 19, 2020

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:

IMO we chose elementalists because they are cloth class and for better damage at long range so you can kill your enemy while keeping a distance, that's how its supposed to be that's why we choose cloth class, I don't get why they go and make it melee oriented, if I wanted a melee class I would have gone for heavy armor classes. I would rather them have more long range damage options at least then their squishiness would be understandable. Currently its just feels absurd to play a cloth class at melee and long range, no wonder they die so easily.

I get that a lot of folks default to mage being ranged spell caster and not much else; but I take personal offense at that limitation! proudly waves spellsword flag lol

In all seriousness though, the fact that both melee and ranged are so lacking is because they don't really commit to either side. Like, Weaver should probably get more health if your gonna ask players to get in close, and Tempest/Base Elementalist really should be able to distance cast better at this point. Hell, I think having Tempest be the go to ranged caster, Weaver being the melee caster, and Elementalist being the half-and-half would be better.

Either that, or make it possible to really spec into ranged or melee roles with our trees.

• manu.7539manu.7539 Member ✭✭

Wow! Just found out its a 2 years old discussion.. and what did happen since? Ele's got nerfed again and again!?!?!
    That was my 2nd and last comment on this forum, clearly a waste of time ;-(((

• Ganathar.4956Ganathar.4956 Member ✭✭✭

@Pocky.3159 said:

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

@Junkpile.7439 said:

I get that a lot of folks default to mage being ranged spell caster and not much else; but I take personal offense at that limitation! proudly waves spellsword flag lol

In all seriousness though, the fact that both melee and ranged are so lacking is because they don't really commit to either side. Like, Weaver should probably get more health if your gonna ask players to get in close, and Tempest/Base Elementalist really should be able to distance cast better at this point. Hell, I think having Tempest be the go to ranged caster, Weaver being the melee caster, and Elementalist being the half-and-half would be better.

Either that, or make it possible to really spec into ranged or melee roles with our trees.

It's less that people default to elementalist having to be exclusively ranged. It's more that currently ele is almost exclusively a melee class, with the lowest hp pool and armor and with no gimmicks like mobility or stealth to compensate. The theme of a cloth-wearing spellcaster is also usually ranged, but that obviously doesn't mean that melee shouldn't be an option. However, it does mean that the ranged options better be good as well. Right now the ranged option have no survivability, no way to escape or kite anything and also the slowest attacks in the game. Very underwhelming design that didn't even cut it in the core game, much less now.

• Jski.6180Jski.6180 Member ✭✭✭✭

Here a point of view base off of 11/13/20 balancing why dose core ele have the lowest hp and lowest def in the game?

See ELE forms and you will get my views.

• And best thing is you got probably the best possible ways to make creative elite skills since we harness the power of elements and what did we get?

• Dear Elementalist Users and Anet.

I love GW2 and finally after getting out of the military I am able to play again. One of my favorite professions was Elementalist for its quick switching of elements and fast playstyle. After suffering an injury overseas due to combat and having surgery on my forearms to repair my tendons. I can no longer play elementalist correctly like I used to, because my hands aren't nearly as fast as they once were. I'd love to play it again but have a specialization that rewards less element switching but maybe a stacking buff the longer your "camp" in it with a "big bang" skill or something after reaching certain stacks or however a mechanic can be made. I know this wouldn't be too spectacular for everyone to play, but its just a thought. Annnd I'd love a real GS spec. for elementalist xD. Thanks for reading o/

• All talk about ele having low defense is funny because and get this " U can just dodge things" and ele has so much access to vigor + rune of energy in every game mode so you got no excuse, you are just bad at being alive and thats ok you can pick up water trait line.

What i want to see buffed in ele is its conjured weaponm make their cast take longer maybe but their pick up take no animation maybe, and the first tier of fire trait line is boring, + remove all the "cast less X of X" passive gameplay.