Why does so much of the armour look so bad?

@chrispy.7182 said:Perhaps. But armours that look good even with the rights dyes are few and far between.Also, can you post some examples of the armour you are talking about?

You don't need to wait for him to post anything. There is a thread in each profession sub-forum dedicated to players sharing armor combinations with each other.

@chrispy.7182 said:Perhaps. But armours that look good even with the rights dyes are few and far between.Also, can you post some examples of the armour you are talking about?

Why don’t you post some examples of bad looking armor you’re talking about. Maybe someone can then show a mix and match or a Dye combination that makes it look better.

It would indeed help if you gave some example of these "bad armours".

@Dante.1763 said:To be honest i think they really should go through and do a texture update on all the older armor sets(before HOT) the newer ones have so much more detail than the old ones.

This, true. Dye channels could be added to a lot of them too.

• Like 1

OP didn't say which ones they were talking about, but I'm guessing we have very different opinions of what "ugly" is. To me, almost all of the post-release armors are an eye-bleeding mess of over-the-top ridiculousness, while all my favorite armors have been in the game from release (eg, primeval armor, norn racials are my tops).

For heaven's sake, I still sometimes use the "Embroidered Pants" that I unlocked at level 10 on my very first character because there are literally no other pants for female light armor.

• Like 1

Because every single human has different taste, and what looks horrible to one person may look fantastic to another.

Personally I enjoy 95% the low level basic skins in the game, and avoid all the later/newer stuff like the plague. I'm quite aware that my taste is not in the majority. :p

"Why doesn't the developers/art-department make more varied and different armor, instead of holding stuck to the same basic designs for all new armor?"

Not that would be a valid question, consider just how many threads we've had since launch about "No more trenchcoats/buttlaps/skirts!"

@"Mea.5491" said:I prefer "tight" design like Sneakthief and Krytan armor.

You are so right. My two sets of clothes are Sneakthief when it gets rough or the Noble Count when I feel comfortable.Here is an excerpt of my wallpaper. You can see both sets also follow a real theme, and not just throw in "huge shoulder pads, cleavage" etc. The sneakthief set - except for the hideous headpiece that I replace with my leather mask that I chose as first item and my aviator shades- is really perfect and all I need for my little Deadeye. I like every bit of it, and grey (black) and black (shadow abyss) dye works on it so well that you can still see the material (leather) and accents and not just a over-saturated mess. And about the quality of the gemstore outfit - it was a no-brainer when I saw it.Zu6tm5W.png

For some reason, the tails of the tailcoats (in German these are called "Schwalbenschwänze", but there is no English term for that?) of the Noble Count outfit behave properly when I kneel for sniping. Also, the golden chains on that outfit can be heard moving with a soundeffect every 2nd step or so. So not only the texture quality, but also little details like these and even the physics work better then the old ones.

It's a pity that only like 3 sets (the aforementioned two and the ghostly outfit) are outfits that I enjoy. The "Noble" set is also nice, but works only for my engineer.

Excelsior.

• Thanks 1

To make you feel the need to buy outfits/skins. GW1 had some lovely armour, and while people go on about 'fashion wars' in GW2, people were posting combinations of armour on wiki's in GW1.I brought a couple of outfits in GW1, mainly halloween stuff, but it didn't take the place of my Memser's little slip dress or my warrior's glad armour. The only armour I disliked was my ele's FOW.
However here, I can't stand how the ascended armour looks (the crafted stuff at least) so i've either skinned it or brought a couple outfits just to make my characters look more pleasing to the eye.which is exactly the point.

Not only do different people have different tastes but it can depend on the character too.

What suits my female human ranger looks absurd on my female norn engineer, and vice versa. Exact same armour but their body shape (which is not that different) the colour scheme and how I see the character and what I imagine them wearing makes a big difference. All the armour I like on my ranger (like the ascended medium coat, Twilight Arbour armour set, carapace/luminescent etc. looks like a mess on my engineer, and all the ones she wears look either too big and bulky (if it fully covers her) or just trashy (if not) on my ranger. (Who I swear glares daggers at me if I put her in anything more revealing than a sleeveless top.)

When you start looking across the full range of races, genders and other customisation options there's even more of a difference.

@Mea.5491 said:cause clipping

That's my only issue. I concur that especially with Medium armor, there are too many butt capes, though I wear one on my Ranger because for me, it looks exactly like what someone who lives in the outdoors might wear, similar to an Australian Outback trench coat.

But having just recently re-done the set up on my Guardian, I kept coming across tiny pieces of the armor that would poke through the GS on his back. I even noticed that with one chest piece, the GS on his back would end up coming in closer to his body (I guess the chest was thinner?), which made the clipping even worse. Had to abandon using that chest piece for another one that pushed the GS back to where it was originally. I still have a slight clipping from one of the fringes of his belt, but the uniform look from chest to pants is so perfect, despite them being from separate armor sets, that I'm going to live with it (for now).

And my Guardian spends most of his time actually swinging that greatsword at things to make the loot come out, so /shrug