Stone Summit -- Completely Underground Maps

You know how the Eye of the North's map composition is comprised of several areas entirely underground in cave systems unknown to humans? Originally containing a race of Asurans, who were forced to the surface by the occupation of Destroyers? Dwarves fought an enemy known as the Stone Summit in dark halls who were xenophobic (what could be a better enemy for such a racially diverse player character?). They rode Snow Beasts, fully armored. Their existence is unknown after their last leader, Duncan the Black, was killed. Are there still good Deldrimor dwarves who undertook the Rite of the Great Dwarf down there, fighting off endless hoards of destroyers? What have the Stone Summit been up to, knowing how devious and desperate they are for power.

I'd like to go back. Where ancient undead, drakes, and other cave-y crawlies inhabit every corner. Where we aid a dying race in its last hope to carry on a losing battle. Perhaps, we delve deeper than we should... and uncover something that may aid us against the dragons, or doom Tyria.

Along the way we discover mysteries yet to be solved. Ruins of Ancient asuran cities that predate their creation of golems.

We know there is an entrance to the Bloodstone Caves, where White Mantle sacrificed prisoners, in Bramble Pass located NE part of Straits of Devastation. What if we gained entrance to the maps below?

So many lore possibilities. And if you think Cave maps are boring, just look at the fear of Desert maps that Anet were able to make beautiful and various. Caves can have a multitude of their own Biomes. And restrictions placed on mounts is a non-issue. Draconis Mons is completely underground, but is extremely open, allowing use for all mounts and their variable skills. Imagine racing your beetle down tunneled tubes with obstacles placed in your way to either succumb to or jump off of.

Thoughts? Concerns? I know many fear underwater content, and that has been discussed to death, but what about underground content?

I’d love it. Given they learned from the Tangled Depths.The civilized area shouldnt be a random hub of caves, as they’d be man-made.. or rather, dwarf-made.The civilized area should be an easy to navigate area, while the surrounding caves should be a challenging labyrinth.

Underground lakes can be really cool, too

I already said that but will say it again: I would like so much to have underground maps, within mountains or depths of tyria. The better for me would be help the asuras to reconquer their caves or investigate on several old cities like quora sum/rata novus. I see easily another kind of capital underground where asuras, skritts and trolls trade together watching their back from attacks of destroyers, bats and others beasts. Also occasion to create stunning scenaries like a little islet with a ruin at the center of an underground lake.

@hugo.4705 said:I already said that but will say it again: I would like so much to have underground maps, within mountains or depths of tyria. The better for me would be help the asuras to reconquer their caves or investigate on several old cities like quora sum/rata novus. I see easily another kind of capital underground where asuras, skritts and trolls trade together watching their back from attacks of destroyers, bats and others beasts.Also occasion to create stunning scenaries like a little islet with a ruin at the center of an underground lake.

Oh that reminds me of a scene from The Hobbit (the book) where Gollum's hovel is in the middle of a dark lake. > @Ayakaru.6583 said:'

I’d love it. Given they learned from the Tangled Depths.The civilized area shouldnt be a random hub of caves, as they’d be man-made.. or rather, dwarf-made.The civilized area should be an easy to navigate area, while the surrounding caves should be a challenging labyrinth.

Underground lakes can be really cool, too

Tangled depths is hard to navigate via beetle. Lot's of clutter that is easy to catch on with any biome that has chak enzyme walls. Imagine spiraling down a tunnel, delving deeper. Maybe stopping for a merchant, an event, or a player that needs help.

AFAIK the Stone Summit were transformed to stone just like the Deldrimor dwarves were. They are not different races, just different factions of a race. And as far as I understand Rite of the Great Dwarf affected all dwarves. The Rite didn't just change them physically but mentally as well, creating a hive mind of dwarves. That's what the Great Dwarf is, their collective mind, ideology and intellect.

Remember that first time you encountered Ogden and Vekk in the Depths of Tyria and had to run for it because there were just too many destroyers?Traversing from some shoddy ruins into that huge dwarf-made hall? Bringing back that sense of wordless astonishment while having to run for your life (okay perhaps leave the running part out, so we can bask in the beauty of the place) would be really, really, really cool!

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:I’d rather they keep exploring the map we have in game now instead of making an absolute nightmare in terms of recoding the map to allow us to see two levels of maps

What are you talking about.... we already see a minimum of 3 layers of a map in Core. A 4th layer as a stub isn't out of the question in the existing system.

They layers now just toggle clouds on and off, and besides I want to keep that

@Fenom.9457 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:I’d rather they keep exploring the map we have in game now instead of making an absolute nightmare in terms of recoding the map to allow us to see two levels of maps

What are you talking about.... we already see a minimum of 3 layers of a map in Core. A 4th layer as a stub isn't out of the question in the existing system.

They layers now just toggle clouds on and off, and besides I want to keep that

I don't know what you mean by clouds, but it absolutely shows different layers of the world. Look at The Grove, Rata Sum, Tangled Depths, Verdant Brink, Draconis Mons, etc.

Archived