Godforged Flame Legion lore

Matt H.6142

I came across this long forgotten bit of lore in Fireheart Rise about a sect that self mutilate themselves for Baelfire in the Burning Forest, and the wiki calls it Baelfires ritual. Is it through this we find the shamans that get those firethrowers grafted into their arms? The wiki just says it makes them glow with fire. Then there’s the ones with those weird back pieces.I guess they’re more interesting than at first glance.

The igniters? You can't tell from the wiki screenshot, but the flamethrower's not grafted to them. The color is just close enough to their fur (and they throw around enough obnoxious skill effects) to make it hard to tell.

It's not clear where the line between Godforged and shaman is. Certainly, every shaman we see seems to have gone through some transformation process to incorporate fire into their bodies (and they all match the requirement of being "dedicated to the deification of Gaheron Baelfire")- yet, with one exception, only a subset of the shamans within the Citadel itself are specifically labeled as Godforged. It might be that they all go through the same ritual, but that only the favored or the elite get the symbolic title to go along with it; or it may be that becoming Godforged requires an additional procedure above and beyond what normal shamans go through; or the Godforged may simply be the first shamans who accepted Gaheron as a god, with the rest of the caste later following suit. We have no way to know, at present.

EDIT: Actually, on closer inspection, I may have been wrong about the igniters. They definitely have their entire forearm inside of that weapon. You can still see the standard fire shaman spikes poking out from underneath, so I lean toward thinking that the flamethrower comes off, but it's not clear-cut.

We don't really know all that much about the ritual, or the Godforged. The name itself only comes from an obscure dead drop message from Flame and Frost about the shamans performing the "Baelfire ritual" for the dredge, which resulted in these guys and these guys so it seems to be the same ritual as the "self-mulitation". Though the wiki is a bit lacking due to 90% of the Godforged being restricted to the CoF dungeon and no one seems to like documenting dungeons on the wiki, I think the Godforged are only those models which have fiery arms (and eyes and horns) too, both the Igniters and various shamans.

And unfortunately it is unlikely to ever come up again given that Gaheron kicked the bucket as a side boss of no importance despite his role in lore.

EDIT: Went into the dungeon, and turns out there are only four Godforged units really, being dungeon versions of the Smoke Shaman, Fire Shaman, Lava Shaman, and Igniters. Whether there's an actual difference between the normal shamans/igniters and the Godforged Smokelords/Fanatics/Fire Callers/Hellstorms is a different question, but while we don't really see evidence of such, there's nothing to support them being the same either.

Archived