Motion sickness since POF launched?

It's interesting, since there is no kind of "bobbing" while you are riding a mount. The camera always remains focused. Only upon using the space bar you will get a certain motion (depending on the mount). Maybe it's the speed. People who are not used to fast paced gaming (like ego shooters, for instance) might get motion sick.

I just used a sand portal for the first time...Oh...My...Gawd...That road... I do not know what direction it is going. When I think it is going straight it is curved and when I think it is curved it seems traight... Maybe it is both?I have a really hard time following it. I feel drunk when I look at my screen. It is so hard to walk on that path. That constant movement...I wish I could turn the motion of that path off. It is really bad.

I do not want to go back in there :anguished:

@Zneeser.5072 said:I just used a sand portal for the first time...Oh...My...Gawd...That road... I do not know what direction it is going. When I think it is going straight it is curved and when I think it is curved it seems traight... Maybe it is both?I have a really hard time following it. I feel drunk when I look at my screen. It is so hard to walk on that path. That constant movement...I wish I could turn the motion of that path off. It is really bad.

I do not want to go back in there :anguished:

Try turning off "Postprocessing"

@Evon Skyfyre.9673 said:This is really weird, I have played gw2 off and on since launch. Never had a problem. Now after a hour or so in POF I feel dizzy, nauseated, all the symptons of motion sickness. Anyone else? If so how have you dealt with it?

Maybe that's because of falling down a lot? I don't know what about you guys, but I feel weird when my character is falling down from height and it makes me feel sick.

I've felt that way once, but it was on a Heart of Thorns map where you have to go to the bottom by these ruins that were uneven, and there were all the moving vines around.I solved the problem by taking a break and not going back down there.Maybe your monitor is too bright? I sometimes can only play a shorter time on snowy or desert maps because it's too bright.I also played Bells of Wintersday so much last year my eye started twitching.

All of these problems were solved by moderation.

I've been having motion sickness issues, both related to mount movements and stuff like quicksand and waterfalls. I had to take a couple hours off after doing the Jackal heart in particular. It gets better once you've become accustomed to how the mounts move- there's less distance between what your brain expects and what it gets- but it can definitely be rough.

The skimmer Isn't as bad for me as it is a bit similar to gliding. The bunny can get a bit erratic which makes me have to pull away from the computer for a bit. The roads that the jackal ports onto are a nightmare. I have no sense of actually where my toon is, and the shifting road actually gets my body attempting to turn with it, which doesn't help the situation. I mostly have to remember they simply do not react well to key turning. Since that is how I play, I have to take that into account.

@DebraKadabra.5278 said:what I've found to be more helpful is to focus directly in front of your character and not on your character

Yes, that is definitely something one should be doing. I couldn't play with focus on my character -- not because of motion sickness but because my surroundings are always of importance. I don't know how anyone could play with their eyes on their character all the time.

I wonder -- not knowing much about the subject -- if you can condition this weakness out of yourself. Kind of like how the military eliminates the fear of heights via exposure.

Again, I don't know anything about this so calm the hell down if I'm wrong, but if it's an opportunity to get it out of your system that would be awesome.

The military approach is to eliminate such problems by force. They force its subjects into exposure and they hopefully adapt. Some adapt, some keep getting ill, and it's not a pleasant experience at all.A game is different: you play a game for pleasure. It's no pleasure to be forced into a condition where you feel uncomfortable or even ill. Motion sickness makes you feel very ill, trust me.So a game cannot expect its players to adapt by force. This would be very rude to the players. A player can choose his game, a soldier cannot choose his military training.

The problem with the current situation is that the motion sickness condition just appeared with the mounts. It was not there before. So players who don't want to loose their 5 year account with all its achievements and all connections to the ingame friends are somewhat forced to try to adapt. And in my opinion that is rude to these players. If that condition were present at the start of the game, for example like in many 1st person shooters, that would be no problem. Players with motion sickness would pass to the next game, ignoring GW2. But now, all the motion sickness people with their established accounts are forced to adapt or forced to leave their accounts or forced to get sick.

@Silmar Alech.4305 said:The military approach is to eliminate such problems by force. They force its subjects into exposure and they hopefully adapt. Some adapt, some keep getting ill, and it's not a pleasant experience at all.

No I'm not saying the game should force you to get over motion sickness, it would just be an interesting and noble pursuit if someone chose to get over it via playing GW2. I have no idea if it's possible, but it would be a fantastic side benefit.

@Silmar Alech.4305 said:The military approach is to eliminate such problems by force. They force its subjects into exposure and they hopefully adapt. Some adapt, some keep getting ill, and it's not a pleasant experience at all.A game is different: you play a game for pleasure. It's no pleasure to be forced into a condition where you feel uncomfortable or even ill. Motion sickness makes you feel very ill, trust me.So a game cannot expect its players to adapt by force. This would be very rude to the players. A player can choose his game, a soldier cannot choose his military training.

The problem with the current situation is that the motion sickness condition just appeared with the mounts. It was not there before. So players who don't want to loose their 5 year account with all its achievements and all connections to the ingame friends are somewhat forced to try to adapt. And in my opinion that is rude to these players. If that condition were present at the start of the game, for example like in many 1st person shooters, that would be no problem. Players with motion sickness would pass to the next game, ignoring GW2. But now, all the motion sickness people with their established accounts are forced to adapt or forced to leave their accounts or forced to get sick.

Are they forced? if you are one of the minority that has this problem you can simply not use the mount until the very point where you need it, i.e at the jumps. Everywhere else you can happily traverse the landscape using your normal routines. On top if this, is it even all the mounts? I cant imagine the bunny gives you motion sickness for e.g.

Back to topic: Meanwhile I bought PoF due to the positive feedback from the community. I found the configuration to disable camera roll for mounts (which was not there in the beta, as far as I remember), and to my surprise I experienced no motion sickness even after 5 hours playing in PoF with the raptor. And I widened the FoV as much as possible. It appears that the camera is much less moving and rotating back and forth as in the beta, which made me feel as being on a rolling boat I cannot navigate right. Getting up and down don't make me sick either.With this kind of movement, it is really a joy running and jumping with the raptor!

Dears, in case this helps, I had opened a thread to provide some hints working for me. See at that link: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/4628/motion-sickness-a-few-tricks#latestFurthermore, for me, the main two tricks are really savers:

• Not to watch at dismounting (I can bear it a few times, but after that, I just close my eyes), and on the raptor, watch away when stopping (to avoid seeing the side sliding).
  • Not to fight on mounts.

With that, I manage very much OK. One remark: The jackal does not make me sick. The springer - that I use only to jump - does not make me sick if I take care not to turn around too much. The raptor is OK as said above. The skimmer is the killer out of the 4, due to all the drifting effects. I cannot tell for the Griffon, I have none for now.

Archived