Land Of The Golden Sun: An Istan Farming Guide For Dummies! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Land Of The Golden Sun: An Istan Farming Guide For Dummies!

cyndelaq.7148cyndelaq.7148 Member ✭✭
edited November 28, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

What to do:

• Go to Istan
  • Find a squad that's farming Istan
  • Join said squad and follow the commander wherever they go unless expressed instruction not to are given
  • Kill everything in your path, particularly champion Awakened
  • Open supply chests
  • Get loot!

How to make gold:

• Go to: http://www.gw2lunchbox.com/IstanShipments.html to see which material shipment is currently the most profitable
  • Spend all of your Volatile Magic on said material shipment (The vendor for the shipments is at [&BAkLAAA=] <--- Chalon Docks Waypoint)
  • Open said shipments (not affected by magic find) and sell said contents, listing all items acquired on the Trading Post
  • Open all of your Palawan Phylacteries (also not affected by magic find)
  • Go to Silverwastes and get the +200% magic find buff (must complete Vinewrath; only need to complete Vinewrath)
  • Apply other magic find modifiers (here's a list of all modifiers: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Magic_Find#Maximizing_magic_find) PLEASE NOTE: The communal bonfire is difficult to obtain and does not stack with other magic find buffs such as the Item Booster (to my knowledge)
  • Open ALL Unidentified Gear (IS affected by magic find)
  • Salvage all blue and green armor/weapons and sell the materials
  • Salvage all rares and exotics UNLESS they are worth more than the current price of Globs of Ectoplasm; sell all of the materials
  • $$$

SIDE NOTE: Although this isn't required, I suggest buying a 20-Slot Invisible Bag and putting all of your UNID Gear in it so that you don't accidentally salvage them when you go to salvage everything else.

Comments

• I suggest buying a 18 slot bag as 2 slots is not worth 6 gold... you are talking to tight kitten gold farmers!

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

You know what would make this awesome for us lazy people? A video.

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• eldrjth.7384eldrjth.7384 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018

I can offer a few more suggestions.

Get YoloMouse this program makes your mouse cursor more visible. Great for GH fight when there are so many players and things happening on the screen that its easy to lose track of where the cursor is.

Get a copper-fed salvage-o-matic. No argument. You will get a lot of items that will need to get salvage constantly. This is a time saver that will make back the cost. Its required when doing consecutive GH runs, in which you dont want to waste time sorting through trash.

Get an invisible bag and put unid bags into them. That way you dont salvage them right away. You want to either sell or open up unid bags when magic find boosted. It can even be the cheaper 18 capacity one too.

Get the Karmic Retribution bonus. This is an additional profit generator when buying mapping materials which turns karma into gold. Getting karma this way is also fast if you need it. You can get up to 200 from every mob you kill at tier 3.

You get a lot of spirit shards from the phylacteries. This can be used in the mystic forge to generate additional profit.

You want to use a character that is good at tagging champ mobs but not overdoing the dmg. It also shouldnt go down too often and need rezzing all the time.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

Apparently mirage with greatsword and sigil of stamina is being argued as the best for tagging.

• Ashabhi.1365Ashabhi.1365 Member ✭✭✭

@eldrjth.7384 said:
    I can offer a few more suggestions.

Get YoloMouse /snip

You might check that program and make sure it won't tag as a 3rd party mod before you use it. I haven't heard whether it's an "allowed" mod or not. (First I've heard of it.)

• Players have been using YoloMouse in-game forever. I don't think it's a problem. The problem 3rd-party programs were listed, and if it can not be used to cheat, I would not fret.

• Turkeyspit.3965Turkeyspit.3965 Member ✭✭✭✭

Is this an effective method for acquiring T6 trophies? Seems like every legendary requires a stack of 250 of each of them =/

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Apparently mirage with greatsword and sigil of stamina is being argued as the best for tagging.

There is none better then FT engie (core, scrapper, holo, you pick), they don't make anything like it anymore

"There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

I actually prefer this. Back in my day even gameplay walkthrough guides were text only. :P Fun times... Ugh, I'm so old.

Ditto. :p If I click on a post and only see a video link, I will just click away without watching almost every time. If it's text, I'll almost always read it, as long as it's not multiple pages of text.

Sooo true! :)

• Coyote.8391Coyote.8391 Member ✭✭✭

Thanks for the guide! Just one question though: Why do you open the unidentified gear?

@Coyote.8391 said:
    Thanks for the guide! Just one question though: Why do you open the unidentified gear?

Cus if you salve it without opening you get trash PoF mats that don't cost anything. When you open you get a piece of gear that after salvage will get you bit of coins

But being lazy i juts sell blues and greens on TP

@phs.6089 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

There is none better then FT engie (core, scrapper, holo, you pick), they don't make anything like it anymore

Yeah I see big debates about using turrets. So long as they can tag things before they spawn, turrets are a good way to go. I only see it really useful for Akili event so you can tag those mobs that pretty much die instantly. I’m seen complaints that FT isn’t necessarily the greatest at tagging as it has some control issues which is have personally experienced as well.

In the end it’s up to what players personally prefer and feel the most comfortable using.

edited August 17, 2018

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Yeah I see big debates about using turrets.

Please x.x , read my message again, There is no way I would recommend a turret and I didn't

FT just takes bit of practice to get the grasp on how it tags cus its bit strage

edited August 17, 2018

@phs.6089 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Yeah I see big debates about using turrets.

Please x.x , read my message again, There is no way I would recommend a turret and I didn't

FT just takes bit of practice to get the grasp on how it tags cus its bit strage

I was going off what others have said about the engi class for tagging in Istan specifically and not entirely limited to just what you said. In Istan you may not be able to tag everything with FT but turrets can before they even show up on the screen.

@phs.6089 said:

@Coyote.8391 said:

Cus if you salve it without opening you get trash PoF mats that don't cost anything. When you open you get a piece of gear that after salvage will get you bit of coins

......... I probably lost a good amount of gold without even realizing it. :scream:

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

@phs.6089 said:

@Coyote.8391 said:

Ha, you're going to feel like a chump when all future Legendaries are built solely from giant stacks of Eyes of Kormir.

@perilisk.1874 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@Coyote.8391 said:

Ha, you're going to feel like a chump when all future Legendaries are built solely from giant stacks of Eyes of Kormir.

Pssssshhhh, nah, y'all are gonna be the chumps if that happens! I'm overloaded with eyes if kormir already! D:

• Loosmaster.8263Loosmaster.8263 Member ✭✭✭✭

@phs.6089 said:

@Coyote.8391 said:

Numerous times I have gotten Rares from the Blue and Green Unid's.

Fàther - Create a mount then kill it until it's more useless than PvE. "Smart"
    Tactical Killers
    Server(DR)

• @Turkeyspit.3965 said:
    Is this an effective method for acquiring T6 trophies? Seems like every legendary requires a stack of 250 of each of them =/

Most definitely! The trophy shipments give you a boat-load of both T5 and T6 materials. I'm currently making HOPE and am in the process of farming Istan purely for gathering T5/T6 mats from trophy shipments. :D

• @Coyote.8391 said:

I open the UNIDs with as much magic find as possible because at worse you get a ton of blue and green armor/weapons which you can salvage for luck and materials like Mithril ore and Elder Wood Logs both of which are needed en masse!

You also get a lot of rares and a decent amount of exotics which can either be sold for gold or salvaged for Ectos. Then there's always the slim chance of getting a precursor weapon to drop. I once got Zap, which is the precursor for Bolt, to drop from a BLUE UNID gear. Needless to say... I was very shocked and happy when I saw that. :P

• @phs.6089 said:

You're screwing yourself out of a lot of gold by selling them. I too once thought that selling them was the better way to go but then I started opening them all and realized the errors of my ways. By not opening them you're missing out on a lot of mithril and elder wood, and I do mean a LOT. You also get a lot of: silk, thick leather, and even some orichalcum.

It might not seem like a lot, but it definitely adds up and is more profitable then selling them.

@cyndelaq.7148 said:

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

Most definitely! The trophy shipments give you a boat-load of both T5 and T6 materials. I'm currently making HOPE and am in the process of farming Istan purely for gathering T5/T6 mats from trophy shipments. :D

I have max T5 trophies as I run lots of HoT meta maps, but I'm still about 150 shy of each T6, and I'd rather not buy them off the TP. (angry enough at having to buy 100g worth of runestones lol)

I've been there on my Core Guardian a few times, but my FPS is so horrible (8-10) it wasn't fun, so I haven't done it much since.

Which would be a better character to bring for tagging? Daredevil Thief (w/ Shortbow) or Reveant w/swirly hammers? Don't have a LV80 Mes, Ele, Engy or Warrior.

@cyndelaq.7148 said:

@Coyote.8391 said:

I open the UNIDs with as much magic find as possible because at worse you get a ton of blue and green armor/weapons which you can salvage for luck and materials like Mithril ore and Elder Wood Logs both of which are needed en masse!

You also get a lot of rares and a decent amount of exotics which can either be sold for gold or salvaged for Ectos. Then there's always the slim chance of getting a precursor weapon to drop. I once got Zap, which is the precursor for Bolt, to drop from a BLUE UNID gear. Needless to say... I was very shocked and happy when I saw that. :P

Ohhh. Thanks for letting me know! It's kind of bittersweet. 😅 At least I'll know for the future now though!

• @""Turkeyspit.3965"
    If you have a Power Reaper or Dragonhunter, those would be good. A lot of people also bring Scourge for the AoE damage. I've also heard that Thieves with Shortbow can be really effective.

The main thing with tagging mobs is:

• Knowing where the mobs will spawn
    • What the highest priority monsters (champion Awakened) are
    • And what abilities you can use to tag mobs quickly with are. For example, on Power Reaper:
    • Axe 2
    • Shroud 4/2
    • GS 5/4 are all good options for tagging mobs in a hurry for one reason or another. Basically, you want to use abilities that activate fast and deal a lot of damage in as few hits as possible.
    • Unless it's changed, in order to qualify for loot on any given mob, you need to be within the 85 player tag limit. After that, you need to deal at least 5k damage to said mob(s) to get your loot. This might not sound difficult but it can be with a full map all going after the same mobs.

As for your frames issues, here's what you can do if you haven't already:

In Options, under User Interface:

• Uncheck both, "Show All NPC Names", and, "Show All Player Names"

Under Camera:

• Scroll, "Vertical Position Near", and, "Vertical Position Far", all the way to the right. This will zoom your camera out a bit which I find helps my eyes adjust to everything that's going on.
    • Adjusting your field of view might also help.
    • I also have, "Adjust camera to Character Height", turned ON

Under Combat/Movement:

• You can also turn, "Disable Area of Effect Rings", ON to further reduce the amount of things your graphics card has to render.

In graphics settings:

• You don't just want to set it to the lowest option for everything. I have all of my settings, except for a select few, to max and I run anywhere from 40-60 FPS in Palawadan.

• Set:

• Render Sampling to, "Native"
    • Shadows to, "None"
    • Shaders to, "Low"
    • Post Processing to, "None"
    • and Character Model Limit to, "Lowest"
    • I also have Ambient Occlusion turned ON
    • Best Texturing and Depth Blur turned OFF
    • Vertical Sync OFF
    • And most importantly, "Effect LOD", turned ON. This is one of the most important settings because this single setting limits the amount of particle effects that your graphics card has to render at any given time which greatly improves performance.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :D

• @Coyote.8391 No problem at all my friend! :D

Do you have any tips for what weapons are good to use for a mesmer doing this?

@cyndelaq.7148 said:
    @""Turkeyspit.3965"
    If you have a Power Reaper or Dragonhunter, those would be good. A lot of people also bring Scourge for the AoE damage. I've also heard that Thieves with Shortbow can be really effective.

The main thing with tagging mobs is:

• Knowing where the mobs will spawn
    • What the highest priority monsters (champion Awakened) are
    • And what abilities you can use to tag mobs quickly with are. For example, on Power Reaper:
    • Axe 2
    • Shroud 4/2
    • GS 5/4 are all good options for tagging mobs in a hurry for one reason or another. Basically, you want to use abilities that activate fast and deal a lot of damage in as few hits as possible.
    • Unless it's changed, in order to qualify for loot on any given mob, you need to be within the 85 player tag limit. After that, you need to deal at least 5k damage to said mob(s) to get your loot. This might not sound difficult but it can be with a full map all going after the same mobs.

As for your frames issues, here's what you can do if you haven't already:

In Options, under User Interface:

• Uncheck both, "Show All NPC Names", and, "Show All Player Names"

Under Camera:

• Scroll, "Vertical Position Near", and, "Vertical Position Far", all the way to the right. This will zoom your camera out a bit which I find helps my eyes adjust to everything that's going on.
    • Adjusting your field of view might also help.
    • I also have, "Adjust camera to Character Height", turned ON

Under Combat/Movement:

• You can also turn, "Disable Area of Effect Rings", ON to further reduce the amount of things your graphics card has to render.

In graphics settings:

• You don't just want to set it to the lowest option for everything. I have all of my settings, except for a select few, to max and I run anywhere from 40-60 FPS in Palawadan.

• Set:

• Render Sampling to, "Native"
    • Shadows to, "None"
    • Shaders to, "Low"
    • Post Processing to, "None"
    • and Character Model Limit to, "Lowest"
    • I also have Ambient Occlusion turned ON
    • Best Texturing and Depth Blur turned OFF
    • Vertical Sync OFF
    • And most importantly, "Effect LOD", turned ON. This is one of the most important settings because this single setting limits the amount of particle effects that your graphics card has to render at any given time which greatly improves performance.

I hope this helps and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask! :D

Cheers for that! I do have a Reaper but don't really play her. I'll give my Daredevil a run this weekend as she has great mobility and I find SB is awesome at tagging, and Staff is pretty solid AoE.

edited August 17, 2018

@Coyote.8391 said:

Greatsword with superior sigil of stamina.

Spam: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Split_Surge

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Coyote.8391 said:

Greatsword with superior similar of stamina.

Spam: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Split_Surge

Thanks!! :D

edited August 18, 2018

@cyndelaq.7148 said:

@phs.6089 said:

You're screwing yourself out of a lot of gold by selling them. I too once thought that selling them was the better way to go but then I started opening them all and realized the errors of my ways. By not opening them you're missing out on a lot of mithril and elder wood, and I do mean a LOT. You also get a lot of: silk, thick leather, and even some orichalcum.

It might not seem like a lot, but it definitely adds up and is more profitable then selling them.

I don't even care, my 4 characters are geared full ascended with arsenal of weapons, I have 3 legendary weapons etc etc. Not going to live in this game pay rent and bills.
    Selling them in Tp saves me time

clicking on them. Time that i can go have fun instead of braindead clicking. Don't let me start i had to do SW to boots mag. fing, then stand and click-click-click for about 2K times, that is my 3 hours farm bags including undi from PPs.

definitely! The trophy shipments give you a boat-load of both T5 and T6 materials. I'm currently making HOPE and am in the process of farming Istan purely for gathering T5/T6 mats from trophy shipments. :D

I have max T5 trophies as I run lots of HoT meta maps, but I'm still about 150 shy of each T6, and I'd rather not buy them off the TP. (angry enough at having to buy 100g worth of runestones lol)

If you need T6 for self, convert T5s to T6 it used to be good business but now it would benefit only for making them for own use most of the time
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Material_Promotion

P.S well festival of 4winds rises the price of dust, so check the outcome

• @""phs.6089"

I don't even care, my 4 characters are geared full ascended with arsenal of weapons, I have 3 legendary weapons etc etc.

I have 9 level 80s all fully geared in Ascended. My Firebrand is fully geared in legendary raid armor, legendary weapons, and the legendary trinkets that are currently available.

Istan has allowed me to craft not only that but 6 other legendary weapons. So far... I've crafted: Bolt, Frostfang, Rodgort, Meteorlogicus, Eureka, The Shining Blade, and Eternity (Twilight + Sunrise) and yet I still farm because I'm currently working on other legendaries so I don't understand your point.

clicking on them. Time that i can go have fun instead of braindead clicking. Don't let me start i had to do SW to boots mag. fing, then stand and click-click-click for about 2K times, that is my 3 hours farm bags including undi from PPs.

Um... You don't have to click on each individual item. You can right-click a stack of items and click once on the, "Use All", button to open an entire stack of UNIDs.

• HardRider.2980HardRider.2980 Member ✭✭✭

What IF you want to keep those materials though. Is there not something that does tropies etc and thats decent? or something that drops a lot of und kits?

A City of Heroes never die... A City of Villains will never surrender... Neither City will be forgotten.

• @HardRider.2980 said:
    What IF you want to keep those materials though. Is there not something that does tropies etc and thats decent? or something that drops a lot of und kits?

If you want to keep the materials you acquire from farming Istan then keep them. Just means you won't be making as much gold as you would otherwise.

• Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

@cyndelaq.7148 said:

@HardRider.2980 said:

If you want to keep the materials you acquire from farming Istan then keep them. Just means you won't be making as much gold as you would otherwise.

You won't be having to re-buy those same materials at a later time either. I think it's a win if you do, win if you don't thing.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn

Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

I actually prefer this. Back in my day even gameplay walkthrough guides were text only. :P Fun times... Ugh, I'm so old.

Ditto. :p If I click on a post and only see a video link, I will just click away without watching almost every time. If it's text, I'll almost always read it, as long as it's not multiple pages of text.

Same! I can read faster than I can listen. That whole posted guide took what, a minute to read and comprehend? A video of a full Palawan fight and subsequent inventory management would take far longer.

It's an excellent guide. The sticking point for me is ... selling stuff. My precious precious stuff I might need some day. If my 2K mats/refined items aren't full, I ain't sellin' unless it's vital :D

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.