Build diversity

Raven.1524

I'm mostly playing WvW lately and have noticed that most of the builds tend to go for an elite spec from HoT or PoF. Which I don't really mind since I have both expacs but I was thinking about the core classes lately and how they could actually be really nice to have a wider variety of builds on those that could be used on a competitive environment without the need to do a big overhaul on the core traits.My idea was, having the 3rd slot where the elite spec goes, to get a boost ONLY if no elite spec was used and only core ones are put in.For example:Warrior:1 Strength | 2 Arms | 3 Defense (Boosted)1 Strength | 2 Defense| 3 Arms (Boosted)1 Strength | 2 Defense| 3 Berserker(normal)1 Strength | 2 Defense| 3 Berserker(normal)Boosting only the 3rd trait line if it's a core one.

Why? Honestly? I wanna try testing a bunch of some dumb builds that might be fun and entertaining on a group fight.Also it might help bring a far wider variety of playstyles (But that depends on the guilds shifting the meta or not so I won't dive into that)

What do you guys think? Is it too far fetched and dumb? Or is it something feasible?

The best idea I could suggest if elite specs truly do outclass core (and I'm not in a position to claim they do), is to do a trait rework and make one of the core trait lines like a core "elite" spec line. Meaning you couldn't take it alongside other elites. For example, make Guardian Virtues line exclusive to core Guardian, and not usable alongside DH or FB.

I imagine that would take a significant trait rework however. Could be interesting, though. And also could be unneeded. Meta-gaming is not my strength.

I don't know about exactly how, but I really would like it if core builds were more competitive. You're right - the cost is diversity. They've managed to funnel a variety of viable choices into a narrow list rather than expanding choice with the new specs.

@Biff.5312 said:I don't know about exactly how, but I really would like it if core builds were more competitive. You're right - the cost is diversity. They've managed to funnel a variety of viable choices into a narrow list rather than expanding choice with the new specs.

Given the is meta based on exclusionary ranking, the only way to actually make that work is by creating a chain of Hard Counters, so all the builds have to be present in order for the system to function. Suffice to say, this is a bad idea. The only other option is homogenization, which is what they're doing..... and is also why so many builds are converging.

@starlinvf.1358 said:

@Biff.5312 said:I don't know about exactly how, but I really would like it if core builds were more competitive. You're right - the cost is diversity. They've managed to funnel a variety of viable choices into a narrow list rather than expanding choice with the new specs.

Given the is meta based on exclusionary ranking, the only way to actually make that work is by creating a chain of Hard Counters, so all the builds have to be present in order for the system to function. Suffice to say, this is a bad idea. The only other option is homogenization, which is what they're doing..... and is also why so many builds are converging.

I guess so. I was thinking recently that the way things are going they may as well toss away the very idea of professions and just have specialization trees. Increasingly, the elite specs seem to me to be bleeding over the line to becoming more similar to another prof anyway.

Archived