Quick Poll: What sort of dev tracker would you prefer?

• ArenaNet Staff

We're talking to Vanilla Forums about improving our Dev Tracker. (Hoorray and cross fingers!) There are two ways we can do this, pending their ability to make the changes we request.

Please keep in mind that any changes are still tentative, and that if we are able to effect improvements, it will be a long-range project, not something we'll see in the next few weeks or months. Still, we'd very much like to have a more effective and useful Dev Tracker, so your input would be very welcome.

I think it would be best if the dev tracker focused on just the dev posts, and wasn't influenced by player posts. That way it will act more like the name implies, by tracking dev posts and showing when and where they're posting. :)

Edit: corrected the auto correct. X.x

I'd like a more traditional approach.

Many forums i use have an entirely different way of doing dev tracking which is just to have a page that showcases only the dev post. Think of it like an ANet RSS feed if you will. It showcases the thread title, and a simple preview of the post (1 sentence). This lets the users see the activity and click the post and jump straight to it.

• ArenaNet Staff

@TexZero.7910 said:I'd like a more traditional approach.

Many forums i use have an entirely different way of doing dev tracking which is just to have a page that showcases only the dev post. Think of it like an ANet RSS feed if you will. It showcases the thread title, and a simple preview of the post (1 sentence). This lets the users see the activity and click the post and jump straight to it.

That feels as if it might be what we had in the past. I am not sure, and I will check the helpful archive that a member made, but I honestly can't remember whether we listed posts or threads in most-recent-post order.

I'm surprised at so many people (so far) voting for the thread option. The way I see it:

1. Dev's don't post THAT much. Really, you're lucky to see a couple a day unless something major is going on.

2. If you go the thread route you still have the problem of trying to find the dev post(s). If it's a busy thread that can be unnecessarily time consuming and often loses the general "chain" of what piece of the thread the dev is trying to reply to.

I'd definitely rather just see all the posts and click into the thread for context if I want to see more. The couple of times a year there's a Q&A thread or a particularly active topic for dev replies I'll click "next page" once or twice if needed, no big deal.

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:

1. If you go the thread route you still have the problem of trying to find the dev post(s). If it's a busy thread that can be unnecessarily time consuming and often loses the general "chain" of what piece of the thread the dev is trying to reply to.

Here's what I think: If we have a thread listing, you'd click the thread and that would take you immediately to the most recent dev post. You wouldn't need to "dig through the weeds." If you wanted to see previous dev posts you would click the little (hopefully it will be larger, soon) arrow to the right of the dev post which would take you to the next dev post. If you're at the last dev post in the thread, you'd move to the first in the thread and, using the arrows, move through each dev post in order posted.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The "carousel" already shows all recent posts, including ones from the same thread. So I'd rather a "devtracker" just show the most recent thread in which a developer has posted.Ideally, each would have a forward and backward arrow, so we can easily navigate to earlier/later posts.

That is on my request list. It remains to be seen if it -- well, if any of this -- can happen.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:
  1. If you go the thread route you still have the problem of trying to
    find
    the dev post(s). If it's a busy thread that can be unnecessarily time consuming and often loses the general "chain" of what piece of the thread the dev is trying to reply to.

Here's what I think: If we have a thread listing, you'd click the thread and that would take you immediately to the most recent dev post. You wouldn't need to "dig through the weeds." If you wanted to see previous dev posts you would click the little (hopefully it will be larger, soon) arrow to the right of the dev post which would take you to the next dev post. If you're at the last dev post in the thread, you'd move to the first in the thread and, using the arrows, move through each dev post in order posted.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:The "carousel" already shows all recent posts, including ones from the same thread. So I'd rather a "devtracker" just show the most recent thread in which a developer has posted.Ideally, each would have a forward and backward arrow, so we can easily navigate to earlier/later posts.

That is on my request list. It remains to be seen if it -- well, if any of this -- can happen.

That would be awesome. I know the worst part of the current system is looking for the dev post in the thread. Sometimes I'm like "is there really a dev post here or am I being trolled?" cuz I'll be sifting through 30 pages back and forth and still not find the post lol. :lol:

An additional thing to consider: currently there is no form of dev tracker on mobile devices. Not sure if it's possible to do anything about that.

@"Kunzaito.8169" said:I'm surprised at so many people (so far) voting for the thread option. The way I see it:

1. Dev's don't post THAT much. Really, you're lucky to see a couple a day unless something major is going on.

2. If you go the thread route you still have the problem of trying to find the dev post(s). If it's a busy thread that can be unnecessarily time consuming and often loses the general "chain" of what piece of the thread the dev is trying to reply to.

I'd definitely rather just see all the posts and click into the thread for context if I want to see more. The couple of times a year there's a Q&A thread or a particularly active topic for dev replies I'll click "next page" once or twice if needed, no big deal.

Regarding 2:People can already jump directly to the dev's post in the thread by clicking the red "ArenaNet" tag under the thread name in the list of threads. No need to search the thread for their response. You can also jump to the next post by a dev in that thread if there is one to jump to by clicking the ">" (jump to next dev post button) after the dev's name in their comment's header.

On the note of the ">" (which is extremely hard to miss as being there or serving an actual purpose), in my themes I added some text to it and skinned it as an actual button to make it obvious what it is and what it does. All it took was 1 addition to their CSS that they could quickly add, or they could even go in directly and change the ">" to actual words instead of an easily missed/ambiguous character.

!R8v29NS.jpg!(More photos of my theme colors available in my signature if interested)!! .tag-tracker::after! {! content: "Next post in this discussion";! font-size: 13px;! font-style: italic;! background-image: linear-gradient(180deg,#00cccc,#006666);/THEME VARIABLE/! border-radius: 18px;! padding: 0px 10px 0px 5px !important;! margin-left: 5px;! }

I prefer how the dev tracker on the old version work. Just a chronologically ordered list of dev posts. The carousel is terrible for readability and tracking. The current dev tracker is basically useless which is why I haven't used it since the switch to the new forum. I don't want to have to click through to each thread just to check if the post is relevant or not. In the old forum if I see a relevant post I can click into the thread to see the context.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"TexZero.7910" said:I'd like a more traditional approach.

That feels as if it might be what we had in the past. I am not sure, and I will check the helpful archive that a member made, but I honestly can't remember whether we listed posts or threads in most-recent-post order.

I think it was fairly close to that.Here's a few off site links that showcase things closer to what i'd like to see as they are what im familiar with.https://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/redtrackerhttps://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/groups/overwatch-developer/activity/posts

Now i know the forum software usage is different and may be prohibitive of doing it in a similar manner, but i feel this layout is far more user friendly and intuitive than what we currently have (or dont).

I would say keep the dev threads on the top of the forum to keep up with what’s going on. Leave the comments in the actual time.

And if/when a dev posts into a different thread of someone else, it would show as a notification to everyone if they want to see them. However I would add a feature into the setting, if people want to see when the devs make a comment or not.

I would also make a notification if the devs upgraded someones thread for the dev. To know that it is something the devs are commenting in, or paying attention to. But I would also make a feature into setting for people have the choice if they want the notification or not.

• ArenaNet Staff

@TexZero.7910 said:

@TexZero.7910 said:I'd like a more traditional approach.

I think it was fairly close to that.Here's a few off site links that showcase things closer to what i'd like to see as they are what im familiar with.

Now i know the forum software usage is different and may be prohibitive of doing it in a similar manner, but i feel this layout is far more user friendly and intuitive than what we currently have (or dont).

Those examples you gave are very useful, so thank you for sharing them.

@"Zedek.8932" said:I think it would be nice if you guys could also hide posts from the devtracker.

They could hide all posts from a specific ArenaNet member, but not specific posts, since that'd essentially require posting on a different account. If that's what you want, you can search by author (click the arrow in the search box to see the options).

You can kind of hybridize the approaches.

Thread-based is fine, but you can then try to do something like what League of Legends' old forums had which was that in any thread with multiple dev posts, there was a second set of navigation links (like the previous/next page ones and in the same area) which were exclusively for "Previous/Next Riot (or in this case, ANet) Post."

This way the feed's posts are condensed by topic so all discussion is visible, but also still gives interested players the ability to hunt down individual dev posts in active topics they're interested in discussing without having to look through the whole thread.

Archived