what do you think about multiple tags in a border?

Sovereign.1093

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a borderland that isn't EBG, is that what you are asking? If that is what you are asking, it's a bit complicated -- multiple tags that are good and know how to work together against an omniblob can do fine, but if they are not good or don't know how to work with another tag, they'll get farmed. If they're not facing a map queue, then it's a completely different question -- it all depends on the situation.

It depends on what players want to do.

If you're a large guild that transfers to maps with a public comm that wants to blob just to handhold with them or PPT you're probably not welcome. Then again there's no issue with playing with several small groups on the map, and I know many guilds prefer it. It's possible to talk to the players on your server and respect other peoples wishes and raids.

Wait just kidding EVERYONE is king at the same time and everyone can go and do whatever they like at any time because that's friendly !?!

@Djamonja.6453 said:In a borderland that isn't EBG, is that what you are asking? If that is what you are asking, it's a bit complicated -- multiple tags that are good and know how to work together against an omniblob can do fine, but if they are not good or don't know how to work with another tag, they'll get farmed. If they're not facing a map queue, then it's a completely different question -- it all depends on the situation.

I mean in any borderland. I do agree it's different for each situation, but I wonder if most if not all servers do the mono blob versus multiple tags.

@Etheri.5406 said:It depends on what players want to do.

If you're a large guild that transfers to maps with a public comm that wants to blob just to handhold with them or PPT you're probably not welcome. Then again there's no issue with playing with several small groups on the map, and I know many guilds prefer it. It's possible to talk to the players on your server and respect other peoples wishes and raids.

Wait just kidding EVERYONE is king at the same time and everyone can go and do whatever they like at any time because that's friendly !?!

Which is which? Both or none at all or the former or the latter?

I think it's always good to talk to the players first and if that doesn't work, then do what you will.

@Sovereign.1093 said:

@Djamonja.6453 said:In a borderland that isn't EBG, is that what you are asking? If that is what you are asking, it's a bit complicated -- multiple tags that are good and know how to work together against an omniblob can do fine, but if they are not good or don't know how to work with another tag, they'll get farmed. If they're not facing a map queue, then it's a completely different question -- it all depends on the situation.

I mean in any borderland. I do agree it's different for each situation, but I wonder if most if not all servers do the mono blob versus multiple tags.

This requires having multiple tags which each have people. On EU most servers don't have that except during the small window where guilds raid, and even then it's more and more rare as guilds leave.

@"Etheri.5406" said:It depends on what players want to do.

Which is which? Both or none at all or the former or the latter?

I think it's always good to talk to the players first and if that doesn't work, then do what you will.

"Hey we talk to others and ask their opinion to see if they agree, but if they dont' well fuck them I can do whatever I wanna".

If a guild asks you not to follow or add, you don't. If you ask a comm to fight together and he says he rather doesn't, you don't. Obviously he doesn't get to come to your fights and add at will either, but your attitude clearly does not support playstyles you don't agree with. If they ask you not to do something and you disagree? Ah fuck them! :)

If you want to play how you wish, don't you think it's required you accept others play how they wish and sometimes both don't match up? Sometimes you need to... let players do things the way they want, and not the way you want? And if that's not possible : does it suprise you they rather stack servers with likeminded players just to not have to deal with this attitude? Even quit the game because clearly - if people dislike their style of play they'll simply just troll? For me it doesn't.

Respect is something that goes both ways. There's pugs that are very angry with me for kicking them from every public raid I do, yet they refused to not add to guildraids after being asked repeatedly. Funny how that comes and goes around. Other players are not there to treat as part of the game which has to agree with you or entertain you.

You can do what you will, but I suggest considering the consequences ;)

Another thing not mentioned yet: It tends to be dictated by what your opponents do. If your opponent has a monoblob while you have a duoblob (or whatever) and your side keeps losing then at least one commander is likely to become frustrated and try to reach matching numbers. At the same time, these things are what used to make WvW vibrant with different groups either roaming around to match up with their peers or looking to punch above their weight. It was natural when you had different tags for different purposes and the players to fill them out. Roamers would find roamers, guilds would find guilds and blobs would find blobs. On occasion guilds would attack blobs and roamers would attack guilds etc.

Maybe you should rephrase the question to multiple open similar tags on a border? Then the discussion becomes somewhat more difficult branching into the balance between scores and fights.

Back in the old days (before linking and when WvW players knew each other by name 80% of the time), when we got the first batch of different colours, Aurora Glade ran PUG commanders (with or without open mic on TS) with the blue tag and had guild raids with the other colours. Scouts (before the possibility of participation) sometimes flagged up in an alternate colour (yellow IIRC) and showed scouting positions or marked enemies. This was at the hight of organization though and lasted only a few months.Having more than one commander tag up requires communication in map chat though, so that e.g. PUGs know which is the commander willing to herd cats without TS and which is the guild commander who is highly organized via TS and does not want any "rally bots" not understanding push & fall backs.

I understand the will to play, to fight/train, with our guild, our friends, but close the squad, be unable to do anything ... and call all the map and leads to arms when it's the critical moment to defend because there is a full map blob in front...well ... may be not the best solution.In my server, most of the time they run with 15 people, one or two hours ; they just defend, can't even recap tower or keep because no communication, no people... leave. When there is no "PU" lead may be it's an oppopportunity to fill your guild squad. May be it'd be better for the guild to accept adds and show them a good lead rather than exclude everyone and every tactics.

Multiple tags used to be the norm on many servers. The metagame was more balanced and communities still intact. Guild fights galore. Sure there was drama every now and then but still, people generally knew which tag does what. Nowadays players just follow any tag and don't give a shit if it's a guild raid or not. Gotta blob it up.

It's a mess. The respect for each other is almost non-existent, which is pretty much a reflection of our society nowadays but I digress.

Agree, if you get a couple or more who work together it can be awesome. Either working at both ends of a blob or diverting attention.

Of course, working together is the key phrase. Doesn't require a tag for that. If scouts work with roamers who work with tags it's amazing. Rare. But amazing.

in an ideal situation individuals help each other, but so far, it does not. so we bring it up a notch where individuals work with the com.

these com if experienced ough to know the capacitu or ability to get things done. and so the deligation of tasks, idealy, bit if not, at least being civil.

but meh, i know it is rare. would be good to see though. me thinks we are heading there, especially with the alliance if u are actively making friends.

Fighting against a public and a guild or 2 or 3 guilds all from other sides if the tags work together is pretty hard. If you have a fullsquad and a small group get the camps while you get a keep and catch the attention it is helpful. All depends on the situation. Also if you have a guild intern tag and no small public you have always some randoms arround you

Multiple tags are not a problem for me, but as others have said it is all down to communication. It helps if players know what each tag is for. Running two tags actually defeats a monoblob for PPT because the monoblob won't be in two places at once. For Fights, a number of smaller groups working together can split and destroy a monoblob quite effectively. There are commanders out there who are good at this.

Back before linking there was voice comms for each server and you could sort out this kind of thing. Since linking communications has become worse. Linked communities have suffered with lack of identity and players transferring. Host servers have faced some poor links and some good links, but never had enough time to build a proper community for all the players. Poor comms and a lack of sense of community leads to blobbing because it's easier.

It's likely that the new Rebuild based on alliances could see a revival of multiple tags on a map since there should be Alliance Discord or TS and the Guilds in the alliance may have different objectives.

As long the tags are all doing something productive, be it looking for bags while distracting the people away from the tags doing ppt. Whatever, as long it is beneficial. Naturally, tags should all come together to defend t3 if needed to.

I think the only problem of having multi tag is how some not cooperating well when come to fighting the same group. Some tags might not push with you or will simply fall back far from you or not trying to flank the side. Or you the one doing the other way round and thinking the other tag is crazy to fight that big blob.

Normally, if I encounter tag that lack confidence to engage, I would just wait for the other tag to engage first before engaging. Of course, you can call out to those tags for running away but often they will get sensitive and defensive, especially if is a guild tag since guild tag tend to play for personal ego nowadays.

Archived