Player housing as expa 3 new feature?

Lucius.2140

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't vote for "new personal home maps" because that could mean one-size-fits-all like the current home instances. I want to customize for each character. I want to have something a lot like ESO housing without the ridiculous ESO mats sink. Ie a plethora of homes available from holes in the ground up to large estates, instanced to the owner with guests allowed, each individually furnishable to taste with a robust placement system, and no losing the home or furnishings for failure to pay ongoing fees or log in enough. So my street rat can have a shanty, my nobleman can have a Caudecus estate, my sylvari can have a garden, etc.

Districts ala LotRO also can work, but those districts include competition for specific houses inside them. I wouldn't want to deal with the toxicity that can cause. No player should be prevented from getting their preferred locale due to another player's actions.

Instanced, and others can visit your cool work and can hang out and stuff, lots of diff lots so you can build, and allow ppl to buy a lot as many tones as they want. Focus on gameplay, forget lore. Don’t worry about where it is on map or ppl having the same lot several times. Gameplay is what matters

Hm not sure if I voted on the right thing...

I don't care if it's in the home instance we have now, a new map or what. I just want it where it's like the home instance now - my own little space that isn't overrun by other players (I can take people in if I want to, but other then that MINE!).

A place I can call my own that I can decorate and look however I want. I love Donari's idea for having options per character on what the house looks like. If I have to do crafting, collections or whatever for house plans and furniture I'm happy with it.

The problem with this kind of vague wishlisting is how it tends to go around in the same circles for the same reasons every single thread. Rather then trying to replicate something seen in another game, that may or may not had put enough effort into the design, people start pitching original ideas for how it can be used, beyond the already typical applications other games have done.

Mounts needed an angle to be more then just "fast movement", and the maps accommodated that. So what possibly can player housing do that home instances or guild halls aren't already capable of?

@"starlinvf.1358" said:The problem with this kind of vague wishlisting is how it tends to go around in the same circles for the same reasons every single thread. Rather then trying to replicate something seen in another game, that may or may not had put enough effort into the design, people start pitching original ideas for how it can be used, beyond the already typical applications other games have done.

Mounts needed an angle to be more then just "fast movement", and the maps accommodated that. So what possibly can player housing do that home instances or guild halls aren't already capable of?

Each player can decorate it at their likeness (cant be done in the home instances, neither in the guild halls). I agree that an extra turn for it will be good, perhaps features for alts, trophies, productivity, etc.

@Abelisk.4527 said:I would prefer a feature that involves gameplay. First it was gliding, next it was mounts, then it was...

If we go about exploration and general moving, i will go either between sprinting, some practical archeology, climbing or more interactions with the enviroment. Of course as a side note to player housing xd.

I'd pick "other" as an option. I'd like player housing, but I'd like it if we could buy a bit of land in core Tyria (maybe an option of for one in each starting map) to choose where to build it / buy it (the house of course would still be an instance). Alternatively I'd like player housing to be an airship which you could pay a fee to redock at locations in different maps, so you could vary where your 'house' is.

To all of you voting for another feature, what feature? What do you think would be equivalent that the game is currently lacking?

If they implemented housing I would want a couple maps with designated areas so you could choose your location. And the build your house the way you wanted it, I.e. over a waterfall or in a cave, or a treehouse. But that would be pretty complicated to make.

Another possibility is having your own ship that you can customize. Could also potentially be mobile that way too.

As far as different features go I could see them adding some kind of cosmetic ability alteration or something.

Outside of these the only thing I can think of would be a new race.

@"starlinvf.1358" said:Mounts needed an angle to be more then just "fast movement", and the maps accommodated that. So what possibly can player housing do that home instances or guild halls aren't already capable of?

The obvious (to me) feature is that if it's a decoratable space (like a guild hall is), then it's my decoratable space. Sure, a solo guild allows that once you recruit some people to help you claim the hall, but it ends up being a per-account space rather than a per-character space. (Example: my noble humans live in a mansion, my street rats live in a hovel, my asura live in a lab, etc.) The home instance has "my space" features - it eventually gets populated per character by NPCs related to the character's personal story - but I cannot decorate it the way I can decorate a guild hall.

I enjoy house decorating so I'd like that. It's something else to do and it can give content more meaning with housing decoration rewards added to the game. Since not everybody likes it though these items should be at least for the most part tradeable.

I prefer the instanced versions because it allows for different houses in different environments. So you can choose what you prefer or get them all. I'd love a shiverpeaks home and others might prefer a sunnier location. So yeah, that'd be great.

Just as long as they don't mess it up like in SWTOR with poorly placed hooks and over-monetization of decorations.

I don't really care and have to admit, I'm not a fan of player housing in general. In just about any MMO I know it's at best a well designed feature which speaks to a minority of players. At worst it's a ton of wasted developer resources for something no one enjoys and which creates ghost towns.

It's one of those more accepted sandbox things which many always get hyped about but then either fail to participate or realize it just doesn't mesh well with the rest of the game.

Sandbox games as MMOs have always been quite niche, having some sandbox elements "work" in a non sandbox game is quite hard to pull off.

I'd be happy though if they managed to succeed simply for anyone who wants this feature. The only downside is the wasted developer resources if it doesn't work.

Playing house is not a feature i want in this game at all. Why is this even debated. I rather have a new map, dungeons, raids or whatever than this. We have the home instance and guild halls. If this is the new feature you an count me out most likely. How about this feature, the abilty for the player to create custom mini dungeons and share it with the community, now thats a fucking feature that would add so much more replayability than me placing a chair here or there.

Archived