Player housing as expa 3 new feature? - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Player housing as expa 3 new feature?

2>

Comments

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Playerhousing in new personal home maps.

@Dami.5046 said:
    why do they want this game to be a total copy of every game out there?

Why not? Optional content doesn't hurt anyone.
    When GW2 launched Anet said we'd never get expansions, they only wanted living world. But then we got expansions.
    They didn't want raids but the minority asked for it so we got raids.
    They said we'd never get mounts but we got mounts.
    So at this point why not just finish "copying" every game out there? ;)
    Player housing was already mentioned before HoT. I am pretty sure it will happen. Eventually.

• Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭

@Donari.5237 said:
    I didn't vote for "new personal home maps" because that could mean one-size-fits-all like the current home instances. I want to customize for each character. I want to have something a lot like ESO housing without the ridiculous ESO mats sink. Ie a plethora of homes available from holes in the ground up to large estates, instanced to the owner with guests allowed, each individually furnishable to taste with a robust placement system, and no losing the home or furnishings for failure to pay ongoing fees or log in enough. So my street rat can have a shanty, my nobleman can have a Caudecus estate, my sylvari can have a garden, etc.

Districts ala LotRO also can work, but those districts include competition for specific houses inside them. I wouldn't want to deal with the toxicity that can cause. No player should be prevented from getting their preferred locale due to another player's actions.

Donari for president! You got my vote.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

• Algreg.3629Algreg.3629 Member ✭✭✭

@Odinens.5920 said:
    I want WildStar housing or nothin

yep, hire the guys who did Wildstar housing - that was about the only thing they got completely right, but in a truely marvelous way!

• Ashabhi.1365Ashabhi.1365 Member ✭✭✭

I did not vote because there was no option for a simple "I do not want player housing."

Regardless of other features that may or may not be added with any expac, player housing is something that I hope they never institute in this game. Having played other games with player housing, I understand what the draw is. Unfortunately, it also means that all of a sudden, people who are playing the game and doing events are now playing Interior Decorator. I would rather see the option of outfitting an existing structure in your own home instance with personal items somewhat like the Hall of Monuments in GW1 where we can choose to display things that we're most proud of, such as really tough achievements or rare sets of armor. The rest is just fluff that takes away from a game that people are already saying is empty in places. Adding a time sink like housing will only empty the maps further.

• Gehenna.3625Gehenna.3625 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    In just about any MMO I know it's at best a well designed feature which speaks to a minority of players.

Just like raids... :)

True, but raids don't create massive empty ghost towns and bind way less developer ressources. ;)

Well, player housing would take way less developer resources because the tech is already there (guild hall decorating), they just have to make it accessible for everyone and add a few instances to decorate. ;)

Also, we talked about minorities before. Both raiders and player housing fans are minorities. These are both optional content to please different kinds of people, it makes no sense to compare them. For example raids are a complete waste of dev resources to me because I don't do them. But it's still in the game to make that 5-10% of players happy and that's ok.

I have to disagree. Creating a raid with 2-4 bosses which is mostly some area design and coding of a couple of enemies is way less complex than creating a sandbox housing area.

It might seem easy since anchor points are already available in the guild hall, it is not though. First off, I doubt people would be happy with housing simply mirroring the guild hall. Second, creating an entire area and mechanics behind it to allow for proper player housing is no small side project. I doubt a team of 4-5 people (the siye of the dev team for fractals and raids) would manage such an expansion.

On top of which, raids do not affect the rest of the game in any way (besides being one of the methods of acquiring legendary armor, which is in no way required or better than ascended). A badly designed housing expansion can have dire effects if implemented poorly.

I think you underestimate what it takes to create a raid but that aside, the key element is how much traction they get out of a new feature. You'd have to think about the following questions:
    1) How many people will use the feature? (Player appeal)
    2) How much traction will the feature have? (Replay value)
    3) What is the financial value of a new feature? (Money making potential)

See, the player base is very varied, as is normal with a game like this. But if we take raids as you suggest, the question is how many people do play raids, how often do they play them and are there monetization options?

It's possible that only a limited amount of people actually play raids regularly, but they might play them regularly. Beyond that there is little opportunity with regards to raids to monetize anything. Housing on the other hand will also only appeal to a limited group of people, can have long term appeal and it can be monetized quite easily with special home decorations coming through the gem store. It is cosmetic after all.

Also house decorations, as they will be more widely used than guild halls, can be added to the existing and new loot tables giving other content more replay value.

However, I do agree it has to be done properly or nobody will care. But there is a great opportunity to add a new activity for at least part of the players and have an economic opportunity for ArenaNet and other players (who can sell decorations via the TP).

If done well, it seems to me that it brings more to the game than a new raid. However, if raiding is popular enough, I see no reason not to add another raid at the same time. The last financial report was rather a positive one, so all in all, I wouldn't assume that ArenaNet can only do the bare minimum. If you want to see bare minimum go to SWTOR and you'll be grateful here again ;)

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

@Ashabhi.1365 said:
    I did not vote because there was no option for a simple "I do not want player housing."

Regardless of other features that may or may not be added with any expac, player housing is something that I hope they never institute in this game. Having played other games with player housing, I understand what the draw is. Unfortunately, it also means that all of a sudden, people who are playing the game and doing events are now playing Interior Decorator. I would rather see the option of outfitting an existing structure in your own home instance with personal items somewhat like the Hall of Monuments in GW1 where we can choose to display things that we're most proud of, such as really tough achievements or rare sets of armor. The rest is just fluff that takes away from a game that people are already saying is empty in places. Adding a time sink like housing will only empty the maps further.

Unless they have to go those maps to earn the decorations they want for their house. It could actually give people a reason to go there rather than keep them out.

"In my experience, if you can't say what you mean, you can never mean what you say. The details are everything." ~ Minister Durano

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will like another feature.

@Mea.5491 said:

@Dami.5046 said:

When GW2 launched Anet said we'd never get expansions, they only wanted living world. But then we got expansions.
    Player housing was already mentioned before HoT. I am pretty sure it will happen. Eventually.

If you want Housing, I want cantha.
    What's the betting?

• Mea.5491Mea.5491 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dami.5046 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Dami.5046 said:

What's the betting?

Why not both? :) I want Cantha too!

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Mea.5491 said:

@Dami.5046 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Dami.5046 said:

What's the betting?

Why not both? :) I want Cantha too!

You want Cantha too? I like you already, =)

• Shikigami.4013Shikigami.4013 Member ✭✭✭
    Playerhousing in the actual "home/personal instances"

I would actually prefer if they would expand already existing content and put player housing into guild halls, so other guildmembers can visit unless you "lock" the door.

Alternatively, they would be fine in the home instance, if it was made possible to grant access to people on your friendlist and let them open the instance themselves.
    It would require a dropdown list of which home instance you want to go into, but that functionality is already in the game. When entering the guild initiative instance in Lion's Arch, you get a drop down list for which guild you want to enter the instance with.

Basically housing should be at a location where friends can reach your house, without you having to "let them in" each and every time.

YouTube “L2villagejester”.
    People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
    Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

• Lucius.2140Lucius.2140 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2018

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@Lucius.2140 said:
    As we know Anet would be focusing in a new feature per expansion, woul you like it to be playerhousing?

First of all, housing being the focus of an expansion is like saying that Guild Halls was the focus of Heart of Thorns, which it wasn't. In fact lots of players didn't even have access to Guild Halls at all and never bothered with them (how expensive the decorations were/are is one reason) but another one is that decorating something isn't what everyone is interested in, nor something that many find exciting.

I'm not against adding housing to the game as a small side activity for those that like that sort of thing, but I'd never want it to be the major focus of an expansion. If Guild Halls was the only big focus of Heart of Thorns then it would've been dead on arrival.

Heart of Thorns was a feature based expa, scribe was tunned too expensive at the start (still is), guilds arent normally personal and if they are most cant afford to level it alone. I do agree that most veteran players will have great expectations for the new feature and it will be sensible to put a segmented one, specially risky ones (implementing player housing well comes from not making it super expensive, to not messing it to limited number of owners).

That been said, even if Its true we cant actually go for forums as statistically representative, but from the concept, the poll, the discussion and the arguments the no player housing as main feature group have given, it seems to me player housing does go to the not general but segment oriented feature, so i do give you most reason there.

I supose that adding it as a main feature could be based in how it compares in segment and value against other main feature options (theres more criteria in it but that ones seems to be the main ones). A more general main feature with good value (not talking about replayability) will probably be better.

However without a doubt, as a side feature (with an extra effort of Anet- gw2 its doing better since PoF), a probably more segment based feature that allow more replayability will help a lot in the retention of old and new, mantaining the game more alive between LS (thats also good for gem sales).

In conclusion: i still want playerhousing xd

For the Blood Legion! - 11 charr

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Shikigami.4013 said:
    I would actually prefer if they would expand already existing content and put player housing into guild halls, so other guildmembers can visit unless you "lock" the door.

This would lock out people who prefer not to be in guilds and/or those in small guilds that don't have halls.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Cyninja.2954Cyninja.2954 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

@Cyninja.2954 said:
    In just about any MMO I know it's at best a well designed feature which speaks to a minority of players.

Just like raids... :)

True, but raids don't create massive empty ghost towns and bind way less developer ressources. ;)

Well, player housing would take way less developer resources because the tech is already there (guild hall decorating), they just have to make it accessible for everyone and add a few instances to decorate. ;)

Also, we talked about minorities before. Both raiders and player housing fans are minorities. These are both optional content to please different kinds of people, it makes no sense to compare them. For example raids are a complete waste of dev resources to me because I don't do them. But it's still in the game to make that 5-10% of players happy and that's ok.

I have to disagree. Creating a raid with 2-4 bosses which is mostly some area design and coding of a couple of enemies is way less complex than creating a sandbox housing area.

It might seem easy since anchor points are already available in the guild hall, it is not though. First off, I doubt people would be happy with housing simply mirroring the guild hall. Second, creating an entire area and mechanics behind it to allow for proper player housing is no small side project. I doubt a team of 4-5 people (the siye of the dev team for fractals and raids) would manage such an expansion.

On top of which, raids do not affect the rest of the game in any way (besides being one of the methods of acquiring legendary armor, which is in no way required or better than ascended). A badly designed housing expansion can have dire effects if implemented poorly.

I think you underestimate what it takes to create a raid but that aside, the key element is how much traction they get out of a new feature. You'd have to think about the following questions:
    1) How many people will use the feature? (Player appeal)
    2) How much traction will the feature have? (Replay value)
    3) What is the financial value of a new feature? (Money making potential)

I'm not sure, considering the original raids were created with a team of 5 people who were not working uniquely only on that content, the amount of developement required is quite low, at least in GW2. Now if you had to take WoW or other MMOs were scaling and multiple instances of a raid are required and the siye is way bigger, sure that would take more time.

As to 1 and 2:
    I mentioned I don't believe that many people will use player housing extensively. I've never seen this feature get much traction UNLESS paired with rewards or on pure role play servers. Even then people usually start complaining about having to deal with tending their farms, etc. because they want the rewards.

As for 3:
    Sure, Arenanet could monetize the housing feature. That would directly reduce the amount of people using it and would cause for even more critical voices (after glider and mount skins). It would be financially more viable than raids in their current state though, true.

@Gehenna.3625 said:
    See, the player base is very varied, as is normal with a game like this. But if we take raids as you suggest, the question is how many people do play raids, how often do they play them and are there monetization options?

It's possible that only a limited amount of people actually play raids regularly, but they might play them regularly. Beyond that there is little opportunity with regards to raids to monetize anything. Housing on the other hand will also only appeal to a limited group of people, can have long term appeal and it can be monetized quite easily with special home decorations coming through the gem store. It is cosmetic after all.

Oh raids were/are just a gimmick to draw players from more traditional MMOs. The amount of people playing them is quite small compared to the entire player base. It would be even smaller if pve legendary armor was not locked behind them.

I'm not against housing, I just don't want it implemented in a way were I have to deal with empty housing areas.

One final aspect people forget, offering housing is something which takes control from the developer and removes part of their ability to shape their world. It's one of the reasons why Blizzard has stayed away from it. This is not inherently bad, but given not every player will stick to lore, rules or other ways to "break" or abuse the content, it would require more monitoring.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

Also house decorations, as they will be more widely used than guild halls, can be added to the existing and new loot tables giving other content more replay value.

However, I do agree it has to be done properly or nobody will care. But there is a great opportunity to add a new activity for at least part of the players and have an economic opportunity for ArenaNet and other players (who can sell decorations via the TP).

If done well, it seems to me that it brings more to the game than a new raid. However, if raiding is popular enough, I see no reason not to add another raid at the same time. The last financial report was rather a positive one, so all in all, I wouldn't assume that ArenaNet can only do the bare minimum. If you want to see bare minimum go to SWTOR and you'll be grateful here again ;)

I've played SWTOR in the past when it released. Loved the story, hated the pure WoW copy.

That's my point though, there is a limit of resources available. I wouldn't advocate development resources be taken from potential housing and put to raids, but there is a ton of other things I would rather Arenanet work on than housing or raids (and I'm an active raider with close to finishing my 3rd legendary armor).

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Donari.5237 said:
    I didn't vote for "new personal home maps" because that could mean one-size-fits-all like the current home instances. I want to customize for each character. I want to have something a lot like ESO housing without the ridiculous ESO mats sink. Ie a plethora of homes available from holes in the ground up to large estates, instanced to the owner with guests allowed, each individually furnishable to taste with a robust placement system, and no losing the home or furnishings for failure to pay ongoing fees or log in enough. So my street rat can have a shanty, my nobleman can have a Caudecus estate, my sylvari can have a garden, etc.

Districts ala LotRO also can work, but those districts include competition for specific houses inside them. I wouldn't want to deal with the toxicity that can cause. No player should be prevented from getting their preferred locale due to another player's actions.

I want this too, :D

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• Scar.1793Scar.1793 Member ✭✭✭
    Playerhousing in new districts with several players homes.

Have you guys played Warlords of Draenor ? Single instance per player is boring as hell. Who spend times in their current hero home ? Besides for gathering stuff. Nobody I think.

An idea would be to have a map with various lots and depending on the lot you’ve chosen you will other players who selected the others. Something in the mists to justify to neighboor changes I suppose?

• Lunateric.3708Lunateric.3708 Member ✭✭✭

Player housing I am fine with but I want actual meat for a new expansion feature, not playing house decorator.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

As to 1 and 2:
    I mentioned I don't believe that many people will use player housing extensively. I've never seen this feature get much traction UNLESS paired with rewards or on pure role play servers. Even then people usually start complaining about having to deal with tending their farms, etc. because they want the rewards.

As for 3:
    Sure, Arenanet could monetize the housing feature. That would directly reduce the amount of people using it and would cause for even more critical voices (after glider and mount skins). It would be financially more viable than raids in their current state though, true.

I've played SWTOR in the past when it released. Loved the story, hated the pure WoW copy.

It's gotten enough traction in other games and if you've played SWTOR when housing (Strongholds) came in there, you know they monetize the kitten out of it. So it must bring in a good amount of cash for them because they've kept selling most decorations via the cash shop there. That's what I hated about it...having to pay extra for most of the decorations instead of making a lot more in game rewards and craftable decorations. If ArenaNet would do housing they need to make sure that the balance is exactly the opposite of SWTOR. Most decorations earnable in game and some in the cash shop. That's in line with how they've done things so far I'd say.

As for your concern about the world, that's why I voted for instanced. Let people do their own thing and not affect the world. And yeh, for those who are not into housing, they should get the option for a lot the decorations to be sold via the TP. That makes the rewards interesting also for them and another way to make gold and have stuff sold on the TP, which is also a gold sink.

All in all though, I will say, they need to do it right or not bother or indeed it will backfire and make more people angry than happy.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

I could swear there was a CDI on housing at one point, full of all sorts of feedback. Maybe it was just a subtopic in the Guild Halls CDI. The old forums archive appears to be missing a link to the parent category of CDI's but individual ones can be reached if you know to look for them. So here's the community discussion on guild halls from back in 2014. It's very long so be ready to slog through a lot to look for the housing parts, which will be a sideline to the main discussion about guild instances.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/cdi/CDI-Guilds-Guild-Halls

• Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

Not a huge fan of housing myself so I voted for something else. Still, I do think that Anet has the creative chops to perhaps figure out a way to make a housing system somewhat interesting.

• Warkind.6745Warkind.6745 Member ✭✭✭

It's time for the most important feature of an MMO to be implemented. What separates the RPG from the FPS.

AFK fishing.

All is vain.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

Main reason I want personal housing:
    A different home in every region (including HoT and PoF), that I can move all of my home instanced nodes in. No more of this nonsense where new nodes end up all the way across the map from each other...

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gehenna.3625 said:

It's gotten enough traction in other games and if you've played SWTOR when housing (Strongholds) came in there, you know they monetize the kitten out of it. So it must bring in a good amount of cash for them because they've kept selling most decorations via the cash shop there. That's what I hated about it...having to pay extra for most of the decorations instead of making a lot more in game rewards and craftable decorations. If ArenaNet would do housing they need to make sure that the balance is exactly the opposite of SWTOR. Most decorations earnable in game and some in the cash shop. That's in line with how they've done things so far I'd say.

Why, after monetization of mount skins would you believe ANet would not do the same for housing should they decide to implement it? Skins are not "earnable" so what makes you think that housing decorations would be? IMO, should ANet go this route, they would be stupid to not follow the same cash shop model.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Palador.2170Palador.2170 Member ✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

Why, after monetization of mount skins would you believe ANet would not do the same for housing should they decide to implement it? Skins are not "earnable" so what makes you think that housing decorations would be? IMO, should ANet go this route, they would be stupid to not follow the same cash shop model.

They could do something that's more "middle of the road". Maybe make the recipes something you get in the gem store, but once you know how to craft it you use supplies dropped in the game? Leave a few basic ones in the game for when you unlock the area, naturally. That way anyone can craft a "rustic chair", but if you want to craft the "Krytan Throne (with Whoopie Cushion sound)", you need to spend some gems AND get the crafting supplies in-game.

Lip synching is just mime karaoke.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Gehenna.3625 said:

When it comes to housing you're talking hundreds if not thousands of items. I would fully expect ArenaNet to monetize some of that, but in SWTOR actually about 80% or more of that comes from their cash shop, mostly in RNG packs no less. And those RNG packs don't take into account what you already have. The mount skins are a laugh by comparison.

• Drecien.4508Drecien.4508 Member ✭✭✭

No just no. But for those that want it, rental fees start @ 100 gold a week, plus utilities.

30 Beautiful new mount skins?! Anet take my money!

• Ephemiel.5694Ephemiel.5694 Member ✭✭✭

I'm sure people will immediately flock to the game just because it added player housing.

/s

• hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

As many said before, as great as this feature could be, she can't occupe the whole extension, it's not a quality of life change like avoiding fall damage or moving faster...

+++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' DONE, Housing DONE, New asuran expansion DONE, Designing a new lounge "current", New GameMode DONE

• Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭

@Warkind.6745 said:
    It's time for the most important feature of an MMO to be implemented. What separates the RPG from the FPS.

AFK fishing.

Yeah, the absence of any fish dishes (except for mussels) is going to be the bane of GW2. Mark my words!

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

• I will like another feature.

If I recall correctly, they rejected idea of trading post and other crafting stations in Guild Hall and Home Instances because it will depopulate the actual maps and player interactions. And I'm speaking this as a player that invested enough gold for 3 legendaries into guild hall for guildies and me to customize however we want :/

[RED] Crimson Sunspears...your small family guild since 2015.

2>
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.