Introducing the Systems Team - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Introducing the Systems Team

2>

Comments

• Eddbopkins.2630Eddbopkins.2630 Member ✭✭✭✭

omg steps...steps in the right direction. Looking foward to a better gameplay experience...keep up the good work.

• Where is a Guild content team?

• Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

Though I'm not behind the scenes, it doesn't occur to me that the problem with 'balancing' was related to people not talking to each other; it's related to Anet not setting expectations with it's players. As you might know, players bring a different idea about what is 'balanced' with them from other MMO's. While I'm aware that Anet has purposefully delivered game concepts that affect what is needed for balance, it's abundantly clear that many others haven't made this connection, still bringing their 'WOW-clone' baggage along with them.

Anet, for the benefit of yourselves and the players,you should provide some definitive statements about what the intentions are for class 'balance', especially in PVE and what you think about the current state PVE class balance in the game.

If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

• Greetings! Niffty Post! I do hope that this cohesion will bring things together that may otherwise get lost in communication. Here's hoping this helps the team simply some processes to help content creation as a whole!
    Also, while I do not play Rev much, it is nice to see some changes come to the Herald spec to make it more active in play.

Are there any other plans to do a pass on other elite specs that could use the same kind of love? I main engi, and Scrapper comes to mind especially the issues revolving around gyros. Perhaps a pass on some of the summon type skills? Turrets and Necro minions haven't been touched in a long while.

Thanks again and hope to see some good work out of this team soon :)

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:
    'allo, Tyrians,

The Systems team mashes together the Skills and Balance, Player versus Player, World versus World, and Rewards Teams.

I'm very afraid that with this, the balance of skills will again be done with only regards to PvP and WvW, and that those changes will badly affect PvE skills.

• Where is the Quality of Life team?

The team the will focus on polishing skills and be fixing long-standing issues like Shadowstep pathing, Scorpion Wire pathing, No path/invisible walls pathing error, etc.

Thief F1 must remain an instacast Steal skill. DE will simply apply DE Mark on target on Steal.
    Malice build-up independently from DE Mark. Mark only speed up the build-up, not be the pre-requisite.
    http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning...there was Tarnished Coast...

• Opopanax.1803Opopanax.1803 Member ✭✭✭✭

I appreciate this move! Thanks so much for trying to get balance and systems moving better.

And a big thanks you for Irenio posting here and answering a couple questions! Even knowing you are listening helps me know the game is moving forward. Thanks again!

ps- Looking forward to seeing Warrior OH Mace 5 getting some ground targeting so it is 200% more usable, hehe.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 is the current events team still separate or was it aggregated to the systems team as well? I'm assuming they're still their own thing?

• @ReaverKane.7598 said:
    @Gaile Gray.6029 is the current events team still separate or was it aggregated to the systems team as well? I'm assuming they're still their own thing?

You are correct: While they work closely with the Systems Team, CAT folks are not part of that team.

Gaile Gray
    Communications Manager: ArenaNet
    Fansite & Guild Relations; In-Game Events; Community Showcase Live

• alberte.2685alberte.2685 Member ✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

I now know that GW2 has a "reward design team". FOTM, RAID, PVP and WVW have good rewards, but the rewards for PVE maps are very bad.
    Share some Chinese servers:
    1, PVE rewards monotonous is unattractive, and the number of PVE players is greatly reduced. If part of the POF version of the mount skin is PVE, maybe the situation will be much better.
    2, China's RAID culture is very strict, if you want to enter the RAID, you must go online on time every day for 5 days a week, just like the military on time, otherwise you can not enter RAID. This has caused most players to not enter RAID at all, and there is nothing to do, and then they are attracted to other games and never come back.
    3, China's server mall price collapse, gliding wing skin only 2 dollars, a set of black lion weapons skin 3 dollars, set 3 dollars.
    The current charging model is difficult to communicate in China, and the attractive rewards are almost all in the mall. At the same time, the price of the mall is very cheap, and almost no one is willing to buy it. On the other hand, the reward of PVE is very bad, the player feels I left when I was bored.
    Due to the mechanism of gold coin gem exchange and the large number of AFK players, Chinese publishers simply cannot make money by operating GW2.
    4,A large number of players will buy gold coins and mall props through intermediate merchants every week. This is almost a habit. Middlemen can make a lot of money. They collect materials through AI, sell them into gold coins, and then sell gold coins to players.
    GW2 rewards can almost be bought in gold coins, which is almost designed for middlemen. It is difficult for players to collect enough materials through PVE, and it is difficult for operators to get enough income.

question:
    1. Will the new team rebalance the relationship between PVE rewards and gem store(add PVE special skin rewards?)
    2, can add a low difficulty RAID (can not get the legendary armor) to increase the number of players in the Chinese server.

• ZeftheWicked.3076ZeftheWicked.3076 Member ✭✭✭✭

@alberte.2685 said:
    I now know that GW2 has a "reward design team". FOTM, RAID, PVP and WVW have good rewards, but the rewards for PVE maps are very bad.
    Share some Chinese servers:
    1, PVE rewards monotonous is unattractive, and the number of PVE players is greatly reduced. If part of the POF version of the mount skin is PVE, maybe the situation will be much better.
    2, China's RAID culture is very strict, if you want to enter the RAID, you must go online on time every day for 5 days a week, just like the military on time, otherwise you can not enter RAID. This has caused most players to not enter RAID at all, and there is nothing to do, and then they are attracted to other games and never come back.
    3, China's server mall price collapse, gliding wing skin only 2 dollars, a set of black lion weapons skin 3 dollars, set 3 dollars.
    The current charging model is difficult to communicate in China, and the attractive rewards are almost all in the mall. At the same time, the price of the mall is very cheap, and almost no one is willing to buy it. On the other hand, the reward of PVE is very bad, the player feels I left when I was bored.
    Due to the mechanism of gold coin gem exchange and the large number of AFK players, Chinese publishers simply cannot make money by operating GW2.
    4,A large number of players will buy gold coins and mall props through intermediate merchants every week. This is almost a habit. Middlemen can make a lot of money. They collect materials through AI, sell them into gold coins, and then sell gold coins to players.
    GW2 rewards can almost be bought in gold coins, which is almost designed for middlemen. It is difficult for players to collect enough materials through PVE, and it is difficult for operators to get enough income.

question:
    1. Will the new team rebalance the relationship between PVE rewards and gem store(add PVE special skin rewards?)
    2, can add a low difficulty RAID (can not get the legendary armor) to increase the number of players in the Chinese server.

That's some interesting feedback, albeit bit vague. Can you answer me (am just a player) some additional questions?

1. How are their PvE rewards worse compared to others (assuming here in the west our PvE population looks just fine)?
    2. RAID culture is set by the players, or is it that their version of GW2 allows raiding only at specific times?
    3. That's some really surprising news. 3 dollars for a set of black lion skins...you mean things we get with Black Lion Claim tickets like Desert King set, or Inquest MKII sets to name the recent ones? And is 3 dollars per piece or 3 for full set?
  • Why aren't these types of announcements on the homepage instead of somewhere in a hidden forum topic?

• With the formation of the systems design team, will we see the current balance schedule operate at the current rate at the current scale, or will we see alterations to the rate/scale (as in the amount of changes and the frequency of these changes)?

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@ReaverKane.7598 said:

You are correct: While they work closely with the Systems Team, CAT folks are not part of that team.

Still haven't forgiven them for wrecking Ascalon huh?

#nornmodeisbestmode

• I think it's really cool to have this synergy between teams, it always helps to improve GW2. Now my suggestion is: Need to improve the GW2 API, we have DX9 (very old) and a support for the DX10 (not very good). The game has a very good graphic, and no matter how you use a super PC game you can not extract the best capacity of the game. A DX11 or 12 would make the GW2 much lighter and faster.

Long live Tyria!

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭✭

The only comment I have on any of these topics really is that pvp rewards track seems out of whack to me. You can top the game in every category, yet if your team loses you get almost no progression on the reward track. There needs to be more consideration for what you contributed and not just whether you won. A losing streak can make it take FOREVER to get to the rewards, which are not fantastic to begin with.

• @Biff.5312 said:
    The only comment I have on any of these topics really is that pvp rewards track seems out of whack to me. You can top the game in every category, yet if your team loses you get almost no progression on the reward track. There needs to be more consideration for what you contributed and not just whether you won. A losing streak can make it take FOREVER to get to the rewards, which are not fantastic to begin with.

I very much agree with the above point that the Chinese server even has several players entering PVP for pure reward. They use AI to participate in PVP. Although each one will lose, they will still get rewards. Their contribution is 0%, and 100% defeat. . A lot of PVP players complained.

• DeceiverX.8361DeceiverX.8361 Member ✭✭✭✭

Huh.

Well, one can hope this will enable for professions to finally see some much-needed reworks and a clearer vision of the game created like what we saw at launch.

I think a lot of this communication needed to exist prior to implementation of HoT, however. Design-wise, a lot of the elite specs are just impossible to manage between modes not because of numbers but because of their entire underlying concepts. The PoF specs are especially guilty of this.

I want to be optimistic, but there's a LOT of work to do - and a lot of revisiting ideals of the game from several years ago - before my mind is going to really change on the matter. It's hard not to be a pessimist after multiple years of a dog-and-pony show.

You sure that Sniper idea is as good as you thought it was gonna be?
    Because I think my original idea is better.
    Quit/Inactive. No, you can't have my stuff.

• OutOfOrder.3719OutOfOrder.3719 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

Alert to the new Systems team!

You are making the biggest mistake in removing leadership titles from Ranked PvP games.

You are punishing all the players who actively play and try to improve.

Instead of addressing the real problem, you need to permanently ban Win trading accounts after repeat offenses.

It's not to late to reverse this action before it reduces the PvP player base even more.

At least give us 1 more season to try to get these titles. Do not just remove them without a Warning. It's extremely unfair and upsetting to your dedicated PvP fan base.

When you take something away, it only makes sense to replace it with something else.

This is probably the biggest mistake that you will make that will effectively kill this game mode for dedicated and competitive players in Ranked play.

Please reconsider this action , before it is too late.

I will still play this game for the love of the game, but I will definitely play ranked PvP considerably less.

• edited August 22, 2018

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:
    Why aren't these types of announcements on the homepage instead of somewhere in a hidden forum topic?

It's hardly hidden when it's on the front page of the most visited subforum, and with dev replies, in the carousel at the top of the main page. This has had nearly 2,100 views, and more than 70 comments. I don't think anyone is missing it. ;)

But for your info, there are a few reasons that we went forum post instead of a blog for this one:

• A forum post, by its very nature, encourages conversation.
    • The forum post leads to a forum conversation, in the August AFC. That seemed to lend it a natural synergy.
    • Blog posts take longer to get from composition to publication, due to a variety of reasons.
    • It just felt right here. :)

Gaile Gray

• JustTrogdor.7892JustTrogdor.7892 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:
    Why aren't these types of announcements on the homepage instead of somewhere in a hidden forum topic?

It's hardly hidden when it's on the front page of the most visited subforum, and with dev replies, in the carousel at the top of every page.

Looks like the carousel ate most of the posts again by the way. It's only showing 4 posts at the moment. Maybe it is my browser or ad blocker but the carousel also only shows for me at the top of the main forum page and not every page.

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

@alberte.2685 said:
    I very much agree with the above point that the Chinese server even has several players entering PVP for pure reward. They use AI to participate in PVP. Although each one will lose, they will still get rewards. Their contribution is 0%, and 100% defeat. . A lot of PVP players complained.

This matter is something that only Kongzhong would be able to address directly. Arenanet is not responsible for addressing the use of bots, or purchasable items and pricing policies, on the Chinese servers; I believe this is due to the terms of their contract.

• Razakin.5386Razakin.5386 Member
    edited August 22, 2018

@OutOfOrder.3719 said:
    Alert to the new Systems team!

You are making the biggest mistake in removing leadership titles from Ranked PvP games.

You are punishing all the players who actively play and try to improve.

Instead of addressing the real problem, you need to permanently ban Win trading accounts after repeat offenses.

It's not to late to reverse this action before it reduces the PvP player base even more.

At least give us 1 more season to try to get these titles. Do not just remove them without a Warning. It's extremely unfair and upsetting to your dedicated PvP fan base.

When you take something away, it only makes sense to replace it with something else.

This is probably the biggest mistake that you will make that will effectively kill this game mode for dedicated and competitive players in Ranked play.

Please reconsider this action , before it is too late.

I will still play this game for the love of the game, but I will definitely play ranked PvP considerably less.

After multiple offenses? Its the best thing they can do and should have done it sooner. Are you a wintrader or user there of? Its about the only reason a lot of ppl are complaining about losing them. There are other rewards that make ranked worth playing. Not much but still so much better without wintraders

• edited August 22, 2018

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

It's hardly hidden when it's on the front page of the most visited subforum, and with dev replies, in the carousel at the top of every page.

Looks like the carousel ate most of the posts again by the way. It's only showing 4 posts at the moment. Maybe it is my browser or ad blocker but the carousel also only shows for me at the top of the main forum page and not every page.

On for goodness sake! Thanks for letting me know, I've relayed the note to Vanilla. We were supposed to have some improvements in early July, and I did expand the number displayed, but clearly more work is required.

And yes, the carousel is not on every page. I actually paused as I was writing that but forgot to amend. Corrected in my post now. Thanks.

Gaile Gray

• Darlgon.9273Darlgon.9273 Member ✭✭✭

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

It's hardly hidden when it's on the front page of the most visited subforum, and with dev replies, in the carousel at the top of the main page. This has had nearly 2,100 views, and more than 70 comments. I don't think anyone is missing it. ;)

But for your info, there are a few reasons that we went forum post instead of a blog for this one:

• The forum post leads to a forum conversation, in the August AFC. That seemed to lend it a natural synergy.
    • Blog posts take longer to get from composition to publication, due to a variety of reasons.

Question for ya. Sorry. I am beginning to feel illiterate.
    WHICH subforum is the most visited? I start on the home page, hit the Forums button on the top, and then see what I THOUGHT was the carousel. Is there some sub-forum I should be looking at instead? (BTW, that "Latest ArenaNet Posts" section is now up to six again.) Which leads us back to this weekends discussion on the Dev Tracker faults....
    I know.. you know.. Sorry again.. Its beginning to feel like we made another full circle.
    Or course, the announcements are also in the launcher, while you are logging in..

• @Ben K.6238 said:

@alberte.2685 said:

This matter is something that only Kongzhong would be able to address directly. Arenanet is not responsible for addressing the use of bots, or purchasable items and pricing policies, on the Chinese servers; I believe this is due to the terms of their contract.

No, No, No, this is the mechanism of game design, not the issue of publishers, let alone ANET chose one of the worst publishers in China.
    Some players tried to contact KZW. The staff of KZW said: "I don't care about this."

• XenesisII.1540XenesisII.1540 Member ✭✭✭✭

So I guess this is this like when you turn the classroom into a big circle of desks instead of everyone facing forward.
    Meh, would still be surprised if there are any improvements to class and balance issues.

"Is there pvp stuff for this?" "Absolutely, eh we actually have a new armor set coming soon."
    "From the back of the room!, the one pvp fan! we got him! WoAH!"
    || Stealth is a Terribad Mechanic ||

• HeadCrowned.6834HeadCrowned.6834 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2018

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

It is a matter of relevance. When there is a sale of mount skins, the home page is full with it. When the community created some nice drawings of a charr or a sylvari the homepage is full with it. But when an important change in the setup of the dev team is happening you use a forumpost for it. It gives people a certain image of the (wrong) priorities of Anet and a bad representation.

Besides, when I want to be up-to-date with for example the status of PvP, I go to the PvP forums, and not to the general forum where people ask every random question that comes to their mind.

And 2100 views you consider as a lot compared to the whole game population?

• @Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@JustTrogdor.7892 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@HeadCrowned.6834 said:

On for goodness sake! Thanks for letting me know, I've relayed the note to Vanilla. We were supposed to have some improvements in early July, and I did expand the number displayed, but clearly more work is required.

And yes, the carousel is not on every page. I actually paused as I was writing that but forgot to amend. Corrected in my post now. Thanks.

Don't know if this is already in the works but adding the carousel to the mobile site would also be great!

• Ben K.6238Ben K.6238 Member ✭✭✭✭

Last I checked, GW2 is an MMO and the Systems Team are all working on it.

• edited August 23, 2018

@Ben K.6238 said:
    Last I checked, GW2 is an MMO and the Systems Team are all working on it.

Yes. And yes. :)

@GoodWithGravy.8019 said:

Don't know if this is already in the works but adding the carousel to the mobile site would also be great!

I don't believe that's in the works, but I certainly can ask about it.

Gaile Gray

• Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

Can something be done to stop the alienation and refusal of the community of certain professions from certain areas of the game ie WvW, just because they aren't in the current meta? It is getting very frustrating.

• Einlanzer.1627Einlanzer.1627 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2018

A change has been needed for a long time, so I'm excited to see it happen. A couple of questions/thoughts I have surrounding the balancing paradigms -

there's been a lot of power creep in the game with virtually no improvements to active or passive defense. I think most of the culprit revolves around the gradual buffing of conditions and boon sharing. IMO, it's too easy/reliable to get 25 stacks of might and 100% uptime on boons like fury and alacrity. Defensive boons as well as defensive stats and/or baseline health need to be improved, or offensive buffs and damage needs to be nerfed.

conditions being given longer duration was IMO the wrong way to balance them. With GW2's active combat system, they really should have short durations and just do less base damage considering a.) they are improved dramatically by a single attribute, and b.) they ignore armor. I think that the game is too dependent on condi cleanse due to conditions being overbuffed, and it makes the whole balance feel sort of unstable.

• Scar.1793Scar.1793 Member ✭✭✭

Hopefully we will see better changes ahead, and thanks for letting the community know about this. A step in the right direction, even if as many before me we got sometimes surprised or disappointed by some balance patches (especially since there’s quite long delays between them).

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dami.5046 said:
    Can something be done to stop the alienation and refusal of the community of certain professions from certain areas of the game ie WvW, just because they aren't in the current meta? It is getting very frustrating.

How...... are they refusing people in the community?

Just because you aren't in a squad doesn't mean you aren't on a map..?

I mean, if you are suggesting commanders can actually kick you from a WvW map like a raid/fractal/dungeon instance I would have to agree that there are some serious shenanigans going on..

But short of that?

Thank You for the {MEME}

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

Being in a community is not the same as being in a map. If a profession is rejected by the community, it will be felt by the rejected person, even if he/she can follow the commander anywhere all the time. I'm very resilient to social pressure, but I still don't like playing in a team that doesn't want me there. I have to imagine it must be really disheartening for more social focused people.

• Strider Pj.2193Strider Pj.2193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ardid.7203 said:
    Being in a community is not the same as being in a map. If a profession is rejected by the community, it will be felt by the rejected person, even if he/she can follow the commander anywhere all the time. I'm very resilient to social pressure, but I still don't like playing in a team that doesn't want me there. I have to imagine it must be really disheartening for more social focused people.

Likely it is. That being said, like raids/fractals/dungeons find like minded players to work with.

Forcing others to play with you is no way to make it better. It will only drive more people out.

Making all professions maximize their usefulness in ALL modes is a pipe dream.

Each profession has its area it shines at. If you truly want to be 'accepted' in a mode, consider a profession that is considered vital or useful IN that mode.

Thank You for the {MEME}

• @Calvsie.3675 said:
    Modest Sylvari? HA!

Any chance of guild vs guild coming to gw2?

The best question I've seen so far !!!!

• Gleeful Charr and Ornery Humans??? lol... Isn't it the other way around? :bleep_bloop:

Just another WvW lifer who'll never say die... while dying again and again!

• Etheri.5406Etheri.5406 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dami.5046 said:

Nope. Also becoming standard for fractals and raids. Horray!

• Gemnaid.4219Gemnaid.4219 Member ✭✭✭

6 years too late.

• Thedenofsin.7340Thedenofsin.7340 Member ✭✭
    edited August 28, 2018

Congratulations on the new team. As a manager of several teams, I can appreciate the stress of restructuring. Best of luck.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.