POLL : Do you prefer PoF Expansion (casual/explorer) or HoT expansion (group/meta) - Page 2 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

POLL : Do you prefer PoF Expansion (casual/explorer) or HoT expansion (group/meta)

2

Comments

  • Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Different option, i like Both, and its good to have two differently athemed expansions

    To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

  • Tzarakiel.7490Tzarakiel.7490 Member ✭✭✭

    To be honest I want something in between HoT and PoF. HoT consists of only meta maps, which made exploring by yourself tedious. The maps in PoF are too big, which makes finding other players for group events difficult. I kind of hope the next expansion will be half PoF type map design and half HoT design. Something entirely new might also be alright.

    PvP? What's that? Never heard of it.

  • ProverbsofHell.2307ProverbsofHell.2307 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Any critique of the HoT maps is simply because you're not that good at the game and can't appreciate being immersed and challenged.

    I disagree. I only started to feel comfortable on the HoT maps once I became better acquainted with them (layout, sense of direction, etc.). I still find doing map completion on them extremely tedious most of the time - it's not a "good" design in my eyes to be annoyed by a map's layout, even when you have zero trouble getting around without dying and being capable of dealing with the "immersion and challenge".

    Sorry but that's your fault. You chose to get annoyed and agitated at the challenge of the complexity of the map layout. I went on Verdant Brink for the first time and was immediately excited by the challenge of navigating the map - it added an extra dimension of gameplay. I wasn't brainlessly going from A to B. I was learning and working out my route.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Any critique of the HoT maps is simply because you're not that good at the game and can't appreciate being immersed and challenged.

    I disagree. I only started to feel comfortable on the HoT maps once I became better acquainted with them (layout, sense of direction, etc.). I still find doing map completion on them extremely tedious most of the time - it's not a "good" design in my eyes to be annoyed by a map's layout, even when you have zero trouble getting around without dying and being capable of dealing with the "immersion and challenge".

    Sorry but that's your fault. You chose to get annoyed and agitated at the challenge of the complexity of the map layout. I went on Verdant Brink for the first time and was immediately excited by the challenge of navigating the map - it added an extra dimension of gameplay. I wasn't brainlessly going from A to B. I was learning and working out my route.

    So, in other words, your opinion is that you like it and their opinion is that they don't. You know, it's your fault that you don't appreciate PoF more than you do...

  • Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I preferred HoT but for future expansions I want a mix of both types of content. Half the maps to have map wide metas and half to have more free-form exploration content.

    BTW neither is really "casual" content, "casual" players can enjoy both styles of content.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Sorry but that's your fault.

    How is it my "fault"?

    You chose to get annoyed and agitated at the challenge of the complexity of the map layout.

    I "choose" the feeling a certain aspect of something is giving me? Interesting. And what about my choosing to face that "complexity" regardless of it, repeatedly, and beating the "challenge", repeatedly and flawlessly?

    I went on Verdant Brink for the first time and was immediately excited by the challenge of navigating the map - it added an extra dimension of gameplay.
    I wasn't brainlessly going from A to B. I was learning and working out my route.

    You notice that you are being extremely offensive here? I completed HoT 100% on 11 characters, and just because I "dare" to criticize certain aspects of it makes you deduct that I was "brainlessly navigating" the maps? Wow. Because it is impossible to be able to quickly navigate the maps once you know your way around and still find it a rather unappealling task? :s Just accept that not everyone likes your beloved HoT unconditionally and stop being so rude about it.

  • Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Vayne.8563 said:
    Too much bias in the question, for my taste. For example, I like HoT more than POF, but what if POF were as profitable to farm as HOT is? Then suddenly it becomes a whole different question. I think mounts have done more for the game over all than gliding and when I factor mounts in, even though I like HoT zones better, I like POF better, but that's not really an option in this poll.

    The problem is HoT metas are profitable and POF isn't profitable and because of that a lot of people are going to like HOT better. They say it's because of the metas but if the metas in POF has the kind of rewards Dragon Stand and AB had, it might be a whole different story.

    Over all, I think anything gleaned from this poll is bound to mislead. The bias is in the phrasing of the options.

    I was going to point that out too, most peoples' "enjoyment" of HoT content is entirely based on the disproportionate amount of rewards it provides.

  • ProverbsofHell.2307ProverbsofHell.2307 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Sorry but that's your fault.

    How is it my "fault"?

    You chose to get annoyed and agitated at the challenge of the complexity of the map layout.

    I "choose" the feeling a certain aspect of something is giving me? Interesting. And what about my choosing to face that "complexity" regardless of it, repeatedly, and beating the "challenge", repeatedly and flawlessly?

    I went on Verdant Brink for the first time and was immediately excited by the challenge of navigating the map - it added an extra dimension of gameplay.
    I wasn't brainlessly going from A to B. I was learning and working out my route.

    You notice that you are being extremely offensive here? I completed HoT 100% on 11 characters, and just because I "dare" to criticize certain aspects of it makes you deduct that I was "brainlessly navigating" the maps? Wow. Because it is impossible to be able to quickly navigate the maps once you know your way around and still find it a rather unappealling task? :s Just accept that not everyone likes your beloved HoT unconditionally and stop being so rude about it.

    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts. You for some reason felt annoyed by the map rather than embracing the depth of it.

    Also you misunderstood that last part. I didn't say "you" were brainlessly navigating the maps. I was suggesting that PoF maps are brainless in terms of exploration and traversal, in comparison to HoT.

    Please calm down, I'm not "attacking you" or being personal, let's not do that. I was simply saying you were approaching the maps with the wrong attitude.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    @Hyper Cutter.9376 said:
    I was going to point that out too, most peoples' "enjoyment" of HoT content is entirely based on the disproportionate amount of rewards it provides.

    If Maw had the same amount of rewards as AB then I still wouldn't run it at all. Same with Junundu Rising and Forged with Fire. I would maybe run the casino and serpent's ire a bit more though. The ridiculous waiting game for the PoF meta events to start since there is no timer, nor a simple indicator on when it's going to start, is far more important than the rewards. Furthermore, the inability to even know if a meta event is running from a vast distance is another limiting factor. Maws of Torment event status is available only really close to it, which means unless you map complete around there or you are finishing the heart there, there is absolutely nothing to do around there but wait. Same goes for the other two, Junundu Rising and Forged with Fire. Forged with Fire is probably the worst because once the meta event chain begin you can only SEE it if you go inside the Forged cave, yet there is NO REASON to enter that cave.

    The Casino meta and Serpent's Ire are on a nice schedule timer, so you know when to expect them to start. Augury Rock is not on a timer, but the meta status is visible around 3/4 of Elon Riverlands, only the southern edge doesn't provide information on the meta status. This means you can do anything you desire, hunt for bounties, finish achievements, map complete, mine mithril or whatever else at the vast majority of the map and never lose track of the meta status. Plus it has so many phases that change regularly that is really easy to participate in that meta, even without a timer. The rest of PoF's meta events are horrid and no amount of rewards boost will fix them.

    Edit: And one more thing: Meanwhile, with the exception of Dragon Stand that is on a strict timer, ALL Heart of Thorns maps provide you with opportunity to do a lot while waiting for the meta to start. You can finish any of the Outposts in Verdant Brink and always know if the meta is close to starting. You can choose and power up any pylon you want in Auric Basin and not miss the meta, you can fix any outpost in Tangled Depths, and again always have access to the meta information. Even without using any timer, the game itself is giving all the information you need to plan ahead. On the other hand, the meta events in Path of Fire last a very little time and they have absolutely no connection with any other events around them so you never know when they are up, until they are up...

  • Substance E.4852Substance E.4852 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    "group content" is a pretty loaded term to describe HoT over PoF.

    You can't do many of the bounties solo because of how massive their HP pools are. Nevermind content like Augury Rock or Serpents Ire.

    Anet needs to get back to doing actual group content that involves parties in instanced areas with specific loot assigned to each area. Basically, revive the dungeon system.

    Hell, they can even try their hand at some kind of instanced map meta sized content where you queue up and it launches when X number of people are signed up. Complete it and you get some kind of debuff (maybe hidden to prevent clutter) that prevents you from sighing up again for 3 hours or w/e.

    It let's people have their blob content while still allowing Anet to create maps that actually feel like real MMO areas rather than just a fancy box to hold a chain of meta events.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts.

    You cannot force your self to like something. You can "force" yourself to make the best out of it, which I did, but that's not the same thing.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Substance E.4852 said:
    "group content" is a pretty loaded term to describe HoT over PoF.

    You can't do many of the bounties solo because of how massive their HP pools are. Nevermind content like Augury Rock or Serpents Ire.

    Anet needs to get back to doing actual group content that involves parties in instanced areas with specific loot assigned to each area. Basically, revive the dungeon system.

    Hell, they can even try their hand at some kind of instanced map meta sized content where you queue up and it launches when X number of people are signed up. Complete it and you get some kind of debuff (maybe hidden to prevent clutter) that prevents you from sighing up again for 3 hours or w/e.

    It let's people have their blob content while still allowing Anet to create maps that actually feel like real MMO areas rather than just a fancy box to hold a chain of meta events.

    Actually, the majority of PoF bounties can be done solo (I can personally solo all but 30 out of 112 available bounties, including legendaries). But then I can solo every HoT HP champion and they tend to be significantly less difficult. I think the issue is that they are hero point challenges, where PoF bounties are mostly not needed for anything. So players feel the need for a group more in HoT, despite the fact that the champions-on-demand there are much easier than in PoF.

    For some players, I suppose this is a positive. They don't feel forced to participate in content they don't enjoy in order to obtain the rewards they want. But at the same time, it seems a bit of a negative as the reason they don't feel forced is that there isn't really much to do in the first place or any compelling reason to do it!

    I think ANet could have handled this better. While I agree with the decision to move champions-on-demand over to the bounty system and downgrade hero point challenges to veteran status, they definitely would have done better to follow HoT's event structure. Chain events and big metas are clearly more appealing than random one-off events, provided the incentives exist and open world squads can reasonably be expected to complete the events.

    PoF failed pretty hard at this, so I suppose you could say it's not as group-centric...but it's really just because there's not much content one way or another!

  • bOTEB.1573bOTEB.1573 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    The HOT content is on a completely different level.
    Specifically speaking of the meta events.
    It is hard but not frustrating hard and it is super fun and well rewarded.
    Just look at the time PoF died after the release.
    This is an MMO. We need group events - the more people the better.
    While there were super cool things introduced in PoF, I can say HoT is the better expansion.
    In the 3rd expansion, I would like to see something mixed from both.

    Wishlist:
    Everything that kills me should be nerfed
    Remove all time gates - I play more than some people yet I receive the same rewards per day/week (PvP/WvW tickets etc)
    ANET developments/events and everything else should be in a schedule with the time I play

  • Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    Just to be clear about my vote: IMO HoT is VASTLY superior, not only on the group/meta aspect, but ALSO in the exploration/casual one.
    Exploring HoT is much, much more interesting and rewarding, and playing casual is also more interesting and fun. Participating in the metas as a casual is extremely fun when you don't know the content, and once you know it, you can help better without having to become a pro, at all.
    IMO PoF is only better for casuals if your definition of casual is "I can only move on straight lines".

  • Jojo.6140Jojo.6140 Member ✭✭✭

    I like HoT more. The maps are more interesting because of their verticality and they offer more replayability with their meta-events.

  • ProverbsofHell.2307ProverbsofHell.2307 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts.

    You cannot force your self to like something. You can "force" yourself to make the best out of it, which I did, but that's not the same thing.

    I'm not sure I agree, after all, that's why acquired tastes are a thing.

  • I'm not sure I like the wording..."PoF Expansion (casual/explorer) or HoT expansion (group/meta)"

    That almost seems to me like it's asking if you prefer casual/explorer vs. group/meta play, and that's not the same question at all. Both expansions have a mix, and I wouldn't define either by simple terms. Basically, I like Rauderi's suggestion/wish about wanting something that blends both well.

    Give us metas that don't lock solo progress around the zone while they're going on. In Verdant Brink at night? You're probably going to be steamrolled by a Mordrem defense event when you use a waypoint. Auric Basin? Good luck accessing Tarir. Need to go through Chak Central for a story mission while Gerent is going on? Ahahaha. Make it a big enough part of the zone, with enough reward that people will participate (difficulty-to-reward ratio + location are the main reasons I've seen people cite for not doing the PoF metas), but out of the way of the story updates.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts.

    You cannot force yourself to like something. You can "force" yourself to make the best out of it, which I did, but that's not the same thing.

    I'm not sure I agree, after all, that's why acquired tastes are a thing.

    What does taste have to do with emotions? Feeling that a certain task is tedious has nothing to do with taste.

    I can say, "Hey, HoT maps have a unique and interesting design (which they do) and I like it (which I do)!" That is a question of taste. But feeling either excited or aggrevated by performing a specific task in the environment, that's a personal emotion, not a question of taste. There are regions in each HoT map that I like better than others (taste), but saying that I find map-completing most parts of HoT maps rather tedious is what I am feeling, and that I can't change (so all I can do is decide to put up with it or leave it, and I chose the former).

  • ProverbsofHell.2307ProverbsofHell.2307 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts.

    You cannot force yourself to like something. You can "force" yourself to make the best out of it, which I did, but that's not the same thing.

    I'm not sure I agree, after all, that's why acquired tastes are a thing.

    What does taste have to do with emotions? Feeling that a certain task is tedious has nothing to do with taste.

    I can say, "Hey, HoT maps have a unique and interesting design (which they do) and I like it (which I do)!" That is a question of taste. But feeling either excited or aggrevated by performing a specific task in the environment, that's a personal emotion, not a question of taste. There are regions in each HoT map that I like better than others (taste), but saying that I find map-completing most parts of HoT maps rather tedious is what I am feeling, and that I can't change (so all I can do is decide to put up with it or leave it, and I chose the former).

    Maybe the problem is the way you're playing. For example, why did you feel you had to map complete it on 11 characters?

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts.

    You cannot force yourself to like something. You can "force" yourself to make the best out of it, which I did, but that's not the same thing.

    I'm not sure I agree, after all, that's why acquired tastes are a thing.

    What does taste have to do with emotions? Feeling that a certain task is tedious has nothing to do with taste.

    I can say, "Hey, HoT maps have a unique and interesting design (which they do) and I like it (which I do)!" That is a question of taste. But feeling either excited or aggrevated by performing a specific task in the environment, that's a personal emotion, not a question of taste. There are regions in each HoT map that I like better than others (taste), but saying that I find map-completing most parts of HoT maps rather tedious is what I am feeling, and that I can't change (so all I can do is decide to put up with it or leave it, and I chose the former).

    Maybe the problem is the way you're playing. For example, why did you feel you had to map complete it on 11 characters?

    Maybe your opinion is no more than your opinion and everyone else is welcome to feel however they wish to feel about it? What is the point of this?

  • phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I prefer PoF, I like HoT but still prefer PoF, wish there was something rewarding for people to start doing PoF metas and it would be perfect

    "There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

  • ProverbsofHell.2307ProverbsofHell.2307 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts.

    You cannot force yourself to like something. You can "force" yourself to make the best out of it, which I did, but that's not the same thing.

    I'm not sure I agree, after all, that's why acquired tastes are a thing.

    What does taste have to do with emotions? Feeling that a certain task is tedious has nothing to do with taste.

    I can say, "Hey, HoT maps have a unique and interesting design (which they do) and I like it (which I do)!" That is a question of taste. But feeling either excited or aggrevated by performing a specific task in the environment, that's a personal emotion, not a question of taste. There are regions in each HoT map that I like better than others (taste), but saying that I find map-completing most parts of HoT maps rather tedious is what I am feeling, and that I can't change (so all I can do is decide to put up with it or leave it, and I chose the former).

    Maybe the problem is the way you're playing. For example, why did you feel you had to map complete it on 11 characters?

    Maybe your opinion is no more than your opinion and everyone else is welcome to feel however they wish to feel about it? What is the point of this?

    Who said people can't feel how they wish? Who said my opinion wasn't an opinion? We're having a discussion, stop throwing accusations around, this forum is bad enough for being ridiculed as a safe spot.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Maybe the problem is the way you're playing.

    Maybe the problem is that I had no problem until you started telling me that I had a problem, that it was my "fault", that I "must be doing something wrong" if I cannot enjoy what you enjoy.

    For example, why did you feel you had to map complete it on 11 characters?

    Because I am a completionist? Why do you even care?

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Who said people can't feel how they wish?

    You still don't get the concept of feeling do you? ;) Anyway, let it go. It's okay to disagree on content, but it's really inappropriate to tell others how they should feel.

  • Xenon.4537Xenon.4537 Member ✭✭✭

    There ought to be a 4th option in the poll saying "I like both" or something to that effect. I really enjoy periodic massive map meta events with big world bosses, but I also enjoy the more casual running around on my mount doing things at my own pace. I can see the appeal in both styles. If I had to chose one, I would prefer the HoT style meta event maps, however I believe there is room in the game for both types of map.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:

    @Ashantara.8731 said:

    @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    Well you still have control over your emotions and thoughts.

    You cannot force yourself to like something. You can "force" yourself to make the best out of it, which I did, but that's not the same thing.

    I'm not sure I agree, after all, that's why acquired tastes are a thing.

    What does taste have to do with emotions? Feeling that a certain task is tedious has nothing to do with taste.

    I can say, "Hey, HoT maps have a unique and interesting design (which they do) and I like it (which I do)!" That is a question of taste. But feeling either excited or aggrevated by performing a specific task in the environment, that's a personal emotion, not a question of taste. There are regions in each HoT map that I like better than others (taste), but saying that I find map-completing most parts of HoT maps rather tedious is what I am feeling, and that I can't change (so all I can do is decide to put up with it or leave it, and I chose the former).

    Maybe the problem is the way you're playing. For example, why did you feel you had to map complete it on 11 characters?

    Maybe your opinion is no more than your opinion and everyone else is welcome to feel however they wish to feel about it? What is the point of this?

    Who said people can't feel how they wish? Who said my opinion wasn't an opinion? We're having a discussion, stop throwing accusations around, this forum is bad enough for being ridiculed as a safe spot.

    No safe spot. As I said, what is the point of this? Don't like it? That's cool. Don't respond. Or do. Whatever floats your boat, man.

  • @ProverbsofHell.2307 said:
    As someone who has played a HUGE amount of games from many genres, including ones known for incredible map design like Dark Souls 1, I feel like I can safely say that Heart of Thorns, without a doubt, is the better expansion, and the maps are truly amazing and organic.

    I can't stress that enough. Any critique of the HoT maps is simply because you're not that good at the game and can't appreciate being immersed and challenged.

    Your opinion is not fact.
    Though, your final sentence sounds like something a fan of Dark Souls would say. "If you don't like this game, you either don't like challenge or you suck... it doesn't matter what you say or what you think, my opinion is superior to yours so I get to tell you what you think and what you really mean."

  • Algreg.3629Algreg.3629 Member ✭✭✭

    I'd say the destinctions you draw are not as clear as you propose.

  • The bias is pretty clear in the question, but whatever the case the only real reason I go to the PoF maps is to slowly chip away at achievements. Besides that and the story I don't feel like there's really anything to do there besides bounty hunting. The HoT maps feel more alive and like better quality content to me. There may be some differing opinions on the map designs, but the maps and their meta events are far more interesting than what PoF has to offer.

  • Calvsie.3675Calvsie.3675 Member ✭✭✭

    I like all three for different things.

    “You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.”
    ― Neil Gaiman, Anansi Boys

  • Wintermute.5408Wintermute.5408 Member ✭✭✭

    I liked the intricacy of HoT map layouts. That said, I enjoy all 3 types of maps.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2018

    @Calvsie.3675 said:
    I like all three for different things.

    Me too. The final HoT mission is among my favorites. I also liked the jungle design and the introduction of gliders.

    But PoF I liked a lot more for its story. I really don't care much for the Sylvari, the Mordrem or the repetitive fighting of Elder Dragons, so this was a nice change with Joko and his minions being involved, his crazy manipulation of history books, the Elonian nobles, the refugees etc. I only wish there had been more of the beauty of Elona to behold, as there is too much wasteland for my taste (although the content was diverse, so I never got bored). Also, "The Departed" is a master piece of a story mission.

    The core campaign includes the personal story, which - up to Claw Island - is dear, beloved content to me for its option to choose your path in the story (and the several different paths depending on your race and heritage). It was rich to explore your heritage and felt much more personal to your character than any other content. I wish there was more of this story design mechanic in the game.

  • I'm more on the HoT side but I think the best would be to mix of both expansions. If you are going to introduce 5-6 new maps, just make 2-3 of them event/meta heavy like let's say AB or TD and 2-3 of them casual/chill exploration. I've played PoF for about 2months since release and got everything that I wanted out of them, haven't been to desert for a long time now, only going when it's part of daily. On the other hand, I'm still doing HoT maps from time to time, even though I farmed them crazy amounts.

  • The trouble with HoT is that after so long a time after release, it's almost impossible to do some metas if you don't play on very specific times when there is enough players to do them. Some of those are in deep need of a rework so they scale better with the actual players actively trying to do them.

  • Rhyse.8179Rhyse.8179 Member ✭✭✭

    @MithranArkanere.8957 said:
    The same way I prefer the Nightfall and Eye of the North balance over the dragging boredom of Prophecies and the pressing hectic pace of Factions, I will prefer a middle ground of good metas and good exploration in possible future expansions.

    This.

    HOT has a steep entry barrier and high rewards and replayability. POF has easy accessability and no rewards or replayability. Somewhere in the middle a good product is hiding.

  • None of the above. I prefer a mix of different styles. I think it's a mistake to assume that it's good for a game to offer only one sort of group content.

    Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I didnt particularly care for the HoT maps but do enjoy the PoF maps. I am glad that both feature fights more challenging than core content.

  • StinVec.3621StinVec.3621 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

    I really enjoy both Core and PoF for the design of the maps and the events. However, the difference for me between PoF and Core is that Core is FUN.

    I can adventure through the Core maps over and over on dozens of characters, but I can't force myself through the PoF maps even a first time due to the absurd aggro range, follow distance and density of enemies in all of the areas. It's not fun and it really is a pity due to the areas being beautiful with interesting events to take part in. Disappointingly, I'd rather go wander around a Core map for the 500th time or make a 33rd character and level them up and still have fun and enjoy it than to take even one step further into Vabbi from the entrance area (I kept hoping the next map would be better - it only got worse so that is as far as I've been able to force myself to go in the PoF maps).

    I have absolutely no interest in HoT due to disliking absolutely everything about the design of its areas and enemies, so I didn't buy it.

    WOW - Done with forums for good now! - Someone creates a thread about Pharus's light on crit effect asking if it is a bug - I get warned for being "off topic" for commenting how to use the search and pointing out threads discussing Pharus and it being an intended effect... Goodbye all. Happy gaming.

  • Hyper Cutter.9376Hyper Cutter.9376 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

    The only reason people care about HoT is that it gives wildly disproportionate rewards, while PoF's rewards are more in line with what you get in the core game. That's the secret.

    Also the way HoT handles hero challenges is god-awful and makes map completion even more of a slog than the map design already did (and I say that as someone who enjoys map completion!).

  • Etria.3642Etria.3642 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I like all three but hot has the best metas.

    I HATE getting out of combat clicking on my map to travel and bang in combat again. On ALL of the maps. For the love of Pete give me ten seconds.

  • I really enjoy both. I love going back to HoT and experiencing the jungle on new classes. Will probably keep doing the same with PoF.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Blanche Neige.7241 said:
    The trouble with HoT is that after so long a time after release, it's almost impossible to do some metas if you don't play on very specific times when there is enough players to do them. Some of those are in deep need of a rework so they scale better with the actual players actively trying to do them.

    Well, they are all on set timers so unless you show up at those times it's impossible to complete the meta no matter how many players are present. But as a player who frequently participates in HoT metas, the only one that isn't pretty much a sure thing at this point is VB because it is 45 minutes long, not as straightforward as "kill bosses", and has the worst rewards. Otherwise, HoT metas are completed around the clock and you often don't even have to use LFG anymore (although it's still recommended if you want to be sure you get on the right map instance!).

  • hugo.4705hugo.4705 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I will stick forever to core, maps have a soul, environments are well designed, I can't stand a jungle nightmare or too flat deserts. I want the work of artists within the map, quests, POI, events...

    +++In creative mood. New Engie Elite spec' , Housing , New asuran expansion , Designing a new lounge , New GameMode
    +++NEW: AEP Asuran Expansion Project available on WIKI.
    +++New: GEM GW2 Exploration Map: Discover unusual places around tyria: Here (OSM map)

  • Haco.1546Haco.1546 Member ✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

    I prefer both and hope the next expansion has its share of casual, explorer, group, meta, complexity, diversity. I hope the next expansion can balance between that.

  • Mahou.3924Mahou.3924 Member ✭✭✭

    The only reason I visit core-HoT zones is to get the easy-obtainable HPs or a few group ones if I'm lucky. I don't care anymore about the rest. Dragon Stand meta once and never again. HOWEVER, I also don't hold my inital "grudge"/"hate" of HoT anymore, so it's not all that bad as how it may sound, and as a story player no map structure is going to hold my interest for a long or medium amount of time. Overall? I agree that a balance of all three would probably be the best. Choices should never be bad, unless the choices themselves are.

  • phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    Well, they are all on set timers so unless you show up at those times it's impossible to complete the meta no matter how many players are present. But as a player who frequently participates in HoT metas, the only one that isn't pretty much a sure thing at this point is VB because it is 45 minutes long, not as straightforward as "kill bosses", and has the worst rewards. Otherwise, HoT metas are completed around the clock and you often don't even have to use LFG anymore (although it's still recommended if you want to be sure you get on the right map instance!).

    VB metas this days comes to: log on parked alt, kill Matriarch, get VB Hero chest. Takes 2 minuts, no more.

    "There is always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."

  • buntalanlucu.4036buntalanlucu.4036 Member ✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

    I think people misunderstand that HoT is very difficult for casuals for the first time , and it become 'tolerable' when one got a mount.. but a HOT as it is , when you first entered it (without any masteries) , is a badly designed and badly tuned place that make many people quit GW2..

    not everyone play GW2 in large zerg group doing endless meta for loot while following a zerg mindlessly

    zone wide meta event should not a be all end all for GW2 and im glad POF rectify the mistake of HOT of catering for hardcores only , and go back to GW2 roots that is friendly to casuals and meta event is OPTIONAL not mandatory

  • lunaticdawn.1860lunaticdawn.1860 Member ✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

    I really hate HoT, I barely go back HoT map even there is daily mission in HoT maps. Call me n00b or whatever, the frustration of being in HoT maps get me mad every single time, there is absolutly no fun to explore, just frustration. I regret buying HoT if not for the elite spec. On the other hand, I appreciate every HoT hero points train leaders, if you are in those train, do donate.

  • maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @buntalanlucu.4036 said:
    I think people misunderstand that HoT is very difficult for casuals for the first time , and it become 'tolerable' when one got a mount.. but a HOT as it is , when you first entered it (without any masteries) , is a badly designed and badly tuned place that make many people quit GW2..

    not everyone play GW2 in large zerg group doing endless meta for loot while following a zerg mindlessly

    zone wide meta event should not a be all end all for GW2 and im glad POF rectify the mistake of HOT of catering for hardcores only , and go back to GW2 roots that is friendly to casuals and meta event is OPTIONAL not mandatory

    You are assuming that "hardcore" players play meta events and like following big blobs... perhaps some of them do, but in my opinion most actual "hardcore" players do not like that kind of content at all. I guess it depends on how you define hardcore and casual. And besides, if such a gigantic amount of players goes and enjoys meta events, like Palawadan or the old AB multi loot and you say those are "hardcore" players, then some people around these forums need to re-evaluate their idea on how many hardcore and how many casual players play this game.

  • AliamRationem.5172AliamRationem.5172 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @phs.6089 said:

    @AliamRationem.5172 said:

    Well, they are all on set timers so unless you show up at those times it's impossible to complete the meta no matter how many players are present. But as a player who frequently participates in HoT metas, the only one that isn't pretty much a sure thing at this point is VB because it is 45 minutes long, not as straightforward as "kill bosses", and has the worst rewards. Otherwise, HoT metas are completed around the clock and you often don't even have to use LFG anymore (although it's still recommended if you want to be sure you get on the right map instance!).

    VB metas this days comes to: log on parked alt, kill Matriarch, get VB Hero chest. Takes 2 minuts, no more.

    Well, I suppose you're right. There's not much point to T4.

  • Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @buntalanlucu.4036 said:
    I think people misunderstand that HoT is very difficult for casuals for the first time , and it become 'tolerable' when one got a mount.. but a HOT as it is , when you first entered it (without any masteries) , is a badly designed and badly tuned place that make many people quit GW2..

    not everyone play GW2 in large zerg group doing endless meta for loot while following a zerg mindlessly

    zone wide meta event should not a be all end all for GW2 and im glad POF rectify the mistake of HOT of catering for hardcores only , and go back to GW2 roots that is friendly to casuals and meta event is OPTIONAL not mandatory

    The meta event is optional except for a few locations located behind it if going for map completion.

    The maps are not very difficult to navigate. If someone with a level 1 character can go around and do map completion then it can’t be all that bad. This is of course assuming they group up with others to do the HP’s that require you to kill things and to be on a map that has the meta progressed although you’re involvement isn’t required.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.