Arctic Quaggans - All juveniles?

Oglaf.1074

I just realized that they are all using an oversized version of the “baby” model (the rotund one lacking a prominently tail making them more frog-like and cartoonish in appearance) rather than the “adult” model (the more realistic one looking much more like a proper cross between a beluga whale/manatee) with a unique orca texture.

Is this just an oversight by the devs, or perhaps indicative of the Arctic variety spending their adult lives further out at sea while the juveniles stay closer to the shore?

Or perhaps they mature slower and remain in their juvenile form for longer, even past the point where they are considered adults?

Edit: I actually found some fan art highlighting this:

https://www.deviantart.com/xoojee/art/Guild-Wars-2-Black-Quaggans-440831900

On the left is the “baby” model all Orca/Arctic Quaggans use in-game and on the right is how the hypothetical “adult” one should possibly look.

Only the Bitterfrost Frontier quaggans use that model, and it most likely is an oversight. Core "arctic quaggans" use these two models, as at the time, an arctic baby quaggan model didn't even exist - that model was created for the quaggan tonics released at the end of Season 1 (even though it had zero relevance to the plot).

Why they gave all Bitterfrost quaggan that baby look, I'm unsure, probably because it's the only model with a dorsel fin for quaggans? So they felt that it was the "new arctic quaggan" but had no adult version (why not make such then?). It is weird, but not all arctic quaggans are juvenile looking, just the Season 3 ones.

Though, tbh, the baby quaggan look never made sense, given that the southern quaggans were more green than blue (whether it was full green or green and white), and none were pink.

Oh well I be damned. I guess I never noticed their orca pattern because of their clothes/armour... Or maybe I forgot about them because of the prominence of the Bitterfrost ones.

Too bad though because I like the idea of the Bitterfrost ones being juveniles since it would mean we’d have adult ones the size of a large Charr somewhere out there in the oceans. Considering how much larger orca whales are in comparison to belugas/dolphins it would kinda make sense.

And it would be pretty awesome.

I peppered a couple topics about Kookoochoo using the juvenile look as well. IMO the cuteness factor, and a narrative that they are pretty helpless and simpleminded throughout bitterfrost frontier could not be portrayed with the adult, warrior quaggan looks.Still, I await for the patch note that says they’ve gone through puberty.

Archived