15 min limit on editing posts

BobbyT.7192

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Boysenberry.1869 said:I always find it helpful to write up forum posts (unless they're really short) in some kind of word processor before posting. It helps with spelling and makes sure it doesn't vanish to some kind of posting error.

I got used to doing this with the old forums for exactly that reason. :)

@Boysenberry.1869 said:I always find it helpful to write up forum posts (unless they're really short) in some kind of word processor before posting. It helps with spelling and makes sure it doesn't vanish to some kind of posting error.

Apparently the new forum saves drafts of your posts. I don't know (because I haven't looked) where you can access them, but a few times it's told me it's saved a draft as I'm typing.

However I agree that it would be helpful to be able to edit a post soon after posting it. No matter how much care I take writing it and re-reading before I post it always seems to be after hitting post that I notice a mistake.

@Danikat.8537 said:

Apparently the new forum saves drafts of your posts. I don't know (because I haven't looked) where you can access them, but a few times it's told me it's saved a draft as I'm typing.

However I agree that it would be helpful to be able to edit a post soon after posting it. No matter how much care I take writing it and re-reading before I post it always seems to be
after
hitting post that I notice a mistake.

It automatically loads the latest draft that's been saved if you start replying in the same thread. Not sure how it works if you're creating a new topic, maybe it just auto-loads the most recent draft of that as well.

At least when its actually working. I've seen a few error messages pop up so far on this forum here.

@BobbyT.7192 said:So found out there's a 15 min time limit after you make a post you make any edits to it.Don't know about anyone else, but i tend to find my grammar mistakes like a day after i make a post :'(

Not to mention that it makes it pretty much impossible to post any kind of guides in the forum that need to be edited from time to time. Probably the worst new "feature".

It seems odd to me that there needs to be a time limit on edits. What problem does limiting it address? I would like to see the time limit removed as there are a number of previously stated reasons why removing the limit would be advantageous.

Being able to update a lfg post through editing seems to be a better solution than updating the whole thread with a new post. As it is now, anytime someone updates it to say they are no longer looking, they will need to post in the thread. This will essentially necro the thread and bring to the top of the list a topic that is no longer relevant. As Anet has stated necro'd threads are something they wish to avoid, it seems that simply removing the time limit on editing would be the simplest solution.

Also as someone who makes a lot of typos, having a time limit on noticing them concerns me.

I don't know how much flexibility there is in the platform, but would a fair chunk of the concerns be satisfied if the thread author can edit his/her posts in that thread without time restriction? Or at least the first post in the thread? It wouldn't please everyone, but seems like a half way house.

Ok so I misunderstood this - I thought it meant you had to wait 15 minutes before editing, not that you can't edit it after 15 minutes. That's even worse and I can definitely see it causing a lot of issues.

@calb.3128 said:I don't know how much flexibility there is in the platform, but would a fair chunk of the concerns be satisfied if the thread author can edit his/her posts in that thread without time restriction? Or at least the first post in the thread? It wouldn't please everyone, but seems like a half way house.

That would be a vast improvement.

But honestly I don't understand why the limit is there at all. I assume the concern is that someone will write a controversial post and then edit it after people have replied to make it seem like they were over-reacting (at least that's the only reason I can imagine doing this), but the simple fact that all those people (plus anyone who read it but didn't reply) will remember what it originally said makes that impractical. Meanwhile there are many valid reasons for wanting to be able to edit a post later which are now blocked.

@calb.3128 said:I don't know how much flexibility there is in the platform, but would a fair chunk of the concerns be satisfied if the thread author can edit his/her posts in that thread without time restriction? Or at least the first post in the thread? It wouldn't please everyone, but seems like a half way house.

YES. I'd be fine with this. @Gaile Gray.6029 Take a look, I think this is something you guys ought to consider. :)

Since most of you didn't bother reading the post on how to use this forum. the 15 minute limit is only for recruit rank posters. Which, yes right now is everybody. But once you get your first rank up, you get a edit window of 4 hours.

Don't believe me? Go read some stickied topics posted by Gaile. You'll learn all kinds of nifty things.

@DBZVelena.5186 said:Since most of you didn't bother reading the post on how to use this forum. the 15 minute limit is only for recruit rank posters. Which, yes right now is everybody. But once you get your first rank up, you get a edit window of 4 hours.

Don't believe me? Go read some stickied topics posted by Gaile. You'll learn all kinds of nifty things.

This is great, but there would be many instances where a longer window is required (see @Inculpatus cedo.9234 post referencing the gift thread in Players helping Players).

Edit (within 15min!): Another obvious area is guides and updates to first posts, which were also mentioned here.

@DBZVelena.5186 said:Since most of you didn't bother reading the post on how to use this forum. the 15 minute limit is only for recruit rank posters. Which, yes right now is everybody. But once you get your first rank up, you get a edit window of 4 hours.

Awesome, but for someone who's going to update his Story main post with date-marked updates, 4 hours won't be enough unfortunately. I need infinite editing time, especially since my post is already set up with an "Updates" section and I can't edit that out now.

Archived