What happened to the participation system introduced with hot? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What happened to the participation system introduced with hot?

Idk if im in a minority or majority but that system was rather cool. U always saw your progress and milestones for the better rewards so were always incentivised to take part in events before the big meta and during it. Now ik that at large the metas were thrown out the window with the release of pof but I think it could work well in the Istan meta and in amy new meta in the future.

Also i found the rewards for getting better and better participation good enough to do it.

Comments

• I like the principle: those that do the most get the best rewards. In practice, there are several issues that make it difficult to implement in a way that results in a better game for the community. If it's too easy to lose participation, then it's incredibly frustrating. You work at defending an NPC and get stuck in combat or are forced to waypoint, the NPC moves, you lose participation. Yuck. If it's too hard to lose participation, you get leeching, because the better rewards come from tagging multiple events and going back & forth (or just forth). Similarly, if the benefits of sticking it out are too low, then people feel stuck... and if they are too high, you get cherry picking as folks gravitate towards the quickest events, rather than the ones that need the most help.

ANet has tried to offer something like the participation system in revamped HoT, Istan, among other places. If you are fully engaged in Octovine, all the chests are available to you (the bar is admittedly low, but still: if you're late enough, you get less). In Istan, if you don't participate fully, not all the chests are available to you. The longer you're at the event, the more chests you can loot. So it's the same concept, implemented through ground chests instead of bouncies.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:
    I like the principle: those that do the most get the best rewards. In practice, there are several issues that make it difficult to implement in a way that results in a better game for the community. If it's too easy to lose participation, then it's incredibly frustrating. You work at defending an NPC and get stuck in combat or are forced to waypoint, the NPC moves, you lose participation. Yuck. If it's too hard to lose participation, you get leeching, because the better rewards come from tagging multiple events and going back & forth (or just forth). Similarly, if the benefits of sticking it out are too low, then people feel stuck... and if they are too high, you get cherry picking as folks gravitate towards the quickest events, rather than the ones that need the most help.

ANet has tried to offer something like the participation system in revamped HoT, Istan, among other places. If you are fully engaged in Octovine, all the chests are available to you (the bar is admittedly low, but still: if you're late enough, you get less). In Istan, if you don't participate fully, not all the chests are available to you. The longer you're at the event, the more chests you can loot. So it's the same concept, implemented through ground chests instead of bouncies.

Admitelly i havent done the event in istal since it come out so idk. But is there a ui element to show you what younare elegible for? Thats what i maily liled about the hot version i had live feed of my preformance and u were elegible for the rewards i wanted or not.

Ofc its tought to balance but i think it was the better system that we had for long chain of events content.

• Illconceived Was Na.9781Illconceived Was Na.9781 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

@zealex.9410 said:
    Admitelly i havent done the event in istal since it come out so idk. But is there a ui element to show you what younare elegible for? Thats what i maily liled about the hot version i had live feed of my preformance and u were elegible for the rewards i wanted or not.

No, no UI like there is for participation in VB or WvW. That would actually be useful, since people are confused about why they do (or don't) get certain chests.

Ofc its tought to balance but i think it was the better system that we had for long chain of events content.

Again, I like the principle. I agree that — in theory — it's more equitable and in some ways, more fun, too. But I can't see it working in practice, because we're just too good (as a community) at extracting every last currency from events.

Of course, that's my opinion about how & why. Be great if someone from ANet took the opportunity to clarify.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

No, no UI like there is for participation in VB or WvW. That would actually be useful, since people are confused about why they do (or don't) get certain chests.

Again, I like the principle. I agree that — in theory — it's more equitable and in some ways, more fun, too. But I can't see it working in practice, because we're just too good (as a community) at extracting every last currency from events.

Of course, that's my opinion about how & why. Be great if someone from ANet took the opportunity to clarify.

Idk i personally didnt ever found the participation system to be badly balanced. I was able to afk abit if i had to but not to the point of mindless leeching and was not insanely hard to get to a good participation lvl pretty fast. Granded small events and the main pre meta events going on lead to busy maps event wise.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.