make NA/EU wall gone - I want to play both sides with my friends.

the server is actually separated to the two continents - EU and NA. and our account is bound to one of them.I have friends at both sides, and other players do as well. the problem all we have is that we should pay Gems even if we just want to see a friend across the server wall.I don't want to leave my Jade Quarry server, because I don't want a situation that I should pay 1800 Gems when I return(high server fee) and I don't want to pay 500 Gems for "any server" in EU, as I only want to play with my EU friends in PvE, not going to do WvW or PvP.

The reason I said about adjusting guest function is all to get away the wall between NA and EU in PvE Part, not in WvW and Conquest. Most people clearly knows two servers have different and why they're so be. But I don't think It should be applied to PvE part same.You might agree that what we can do shard transfer anytime doesn't solve the problem with one account, as there should be someone who has friends at both sides. the one must choose one of them, yet give up and isolated from one continent-server. Give up one-side friends?One said He's played for a long time at NA, but He had new players from his business. someone can suggest playing with them as free account on another continent server on his case. seriously who'll gonna think It'd feel anyone better with it? I won't, all my friends won't as I questioned them. People want to play at both sides with their main account.(https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7uet5l/world_vs_world_restructuring/dtkhyv6/)I have friends at both sides, and I'm seriously upset with this separate always. the matter is actually cost. I don't want WvW, but want PvE with my friends. just because of this, I should pay at least 500 Gem for PvE contents to meet my friends - about 145 Golds(current) or 7.5 dollars. I'm not sure It would get players feel fair in this. (of course, we can say about Conquest, but we'd better not get the wrong point.)It means I should pay 145 Golds or 7.5 dollars every time I transfer to meet my friends at both sides. just for PvE. even I should give up my home server costing 1800 Gems.https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7uet5l/world_vs_world_restructuring/dtl3xxjthis is what I wrote long time ago.

• My suggestion
  • option 1:Let us have two home servers. one in EU, one in NA.It's best, but I don't think this will be easy to make, because Devs should be careful of PvP/WvW status as well.
  • option 2:Let Guest function able to go across the continent servers.You can't play WvW or PvP in another continent server.this is most ideal for devs and players.
  • option 3:Gem free PvE only server.This is still the problem that I should expect to pay 1800 Gems when I return to JQ server.

As much as I've always wanted this, I'm pretty sure this is a thing in the majority of MMOs because of technical limitations.

Like, you are picking a server in EU because you want to be closer in proximity to it and routed to it more efficiently for better ping. The same thing with vice versa, depending on where you live. In order for NA and EU players to be able to play together, they'd need to be connecting to the exact same servers. This isn't possible to do without the majority of players noticing a large increase in server latency.

Additionally, the separation also exists because they try to separate the communities based off of language. While it may not bother you or myself, a lot of people simply don't want to read people constantly talking in different languages that they don't know-- at least, they don't want to see it constantly. Most people want the community to feel as relatable as possible. Imagine if for example we were all able to play together, and use the same LFG. Can you imagine first of all how crowded it would be and how often it would be where people would get frustrated from not speaking the same language and stuff like that?

Last but not least, they profit from gem sales on server transfers-- it would be a complete loss for them to remove the regional wall in all honesty. There would be no chance for any pros to outweigh the cons.

Hopefully the points I've brought up will give you a bit of perspective. Again, I really wish I could play with people on NA and EU at the same time... but I understand why things are the way that they are. However I will also say that your suggestion of at the very least allowing you to guest to a server across regions would be pretty nice, just a server transfer with a time limit essentially.

@Purple Miku.7032 said:As much as I've always wanted this, I'm pretty sure this is a thing in the majority of MMOs because of technical limitations.

Like, you are picking a server in EU because you want to be closer in proximity to it and routed to it more efficiently for better ping. The same thing with vice versa, depending on where you live. In order for NA and EU players to be able to play together, they'd need to be connecting to the exact same servers. This isn't possible to do without the majority of players noticing a large increase in server latency.

Additionally, the separation also exists because they try to separate the communities based off of language. While it may not bother you or myself, a lot of people simply don't want to read people constantly talking in different languages that they don't know-- at least, they don't want to see it constantly. Most people want the community to feel as relatable as possible. Imagine if for example we were all able to play together, and use the same LFG. Can you imagine first of all how crowded it would be and how often it would be where people would get frustrated from not speaking the same language and stuff like that?

Last but not least, they profit from gem sales on server transfers-- it would be a complete loss for them to remove the regional wall in all honesty. There would be no chance for any pros to outweigh the cons.

Hopefully the points I've brought up will give you a bit of perspective. Again, I really wish I could play with people on NA and EU at the same time... but I understand why things are the way that they are. However I will also say that your suggestion of at the very least allowing you to guest to a server across regions would be pretty nice, just a server transfer with a time limit essentially.

I'm not sure if many people cross from NA to EU or vice versa a lot, so I'm not convinced it's a big money maker for them, but who knows. Generally the prices are set relatively high to discourage people from doing this because if people move too freely and quickly between servers it could cause population imbalances more easily among other things.

I agree with you on the technical part of course.

While i have read many times that this is not possible, im wondering why can't we at least guest on "the other side"...? It is posible to transfer but not to guest... why not actually? It could be limited like once a day or 3 times a week or something... I don't know... I would love it...

I'm on EU and have a second account on US but its only core (not a f2p, its a payed one but whithout the expansions) and i dont really play it cause i don't have the time to build that one up too. Also i wouldn't transfer because i have friends on EU and a much better ping (around 35 on EU vs 300 on US) but still... sometimes i'd like to make a virtual tripp and play on the US servers - as i played my US account i remember you had such a nice community over there - imo, better than EU.

So Anet... let us guest pls :)

@"Chay.7852" said:While i have read many times that this is not possible, im wondering why can't we at least guest on "the other side"...? It is posible to transfer but not to guest... why not actually? It could be limited like once a day or 3 times a week or something... I don't know... I would love it...

I'm on EU and have a second account on US but its only core (not a f2p, its a payed one but whithout the expansions) and i dont really play it cause i don't have the time to build that one up too. Also i wouldn't transfer because i have friends on EU and a much better ping (around 35 on EU vs 300 on US) but still... sometimes i'd like to make a virtual tripp and play on the US servers - as i played my US account i remember you had such a nice community over there - imo, better than EU.

Guesting was going to another server within the same data center. The account information wasn’t transferred, just the information of what server you were on was toggled. For someone to go to another data center the whole account information has to be transferred from one data center located on one continent to the other data center on another continent. It’s not possible to guest to another data center for that reason, only transfer the account information.

I can think of two ways they can allow EU and NA to play together. One is to allow unlimited transfers from one data center to another. However if they do this then the people who transfer will undoubtedly get locked out of WvW until WvW reset each week as you still need to select a server for WvW. The other is to have one data center. However that data center will undoubtedly be in NA, which will increase the ping for players who currently use the EU data center. Perhaps when the game goes to guild alliances for WvW they can reconsider the costs of transferring but otherwise I don’t see a way around the current limitations.

@"Chay.7852" said:While i have read many times that this is not possible, im wondering why can't we at least guest on "the other side"...? It is posible to transfer but not to guest... why not actually? It could be limited like once a day or 3 times a week or something... I don't know... I would love it...

It's a technical limitation. There are data parks in both the US and EU. Transferring permanently moves your data from one center to another (if you transfer from US to EU or vice-versa). But guesting doesn't move your data at all, so it's a different thing altogether.

Anet did try, originally, to make the EU/NA thing work, but due to the way data centers are set up, the actual back and forth of data makes it very laggy to play that way. They don't do it, because it doesn't work well enough as the game is currently set up. At least that's the reason Anet gave back in the day.

: will it be possible to TEMPORARILY guest for free cross-region, to allow us at least a temporary way to play at least PVE with friends cross-region?
: No that won't be possible - guesting allowed your "current world" to change but didn't do anything with the location of your data - Europe or North America. We have talked about what it would take to play in Europe and have your data in NA (for example) but the cables under the Atlantic are just not robust enough to have reliable database saves across continents.

: I remember changing servers instantly in GW1, how that was possible then? Different system all together?
: In Guild Wars character data /is/ actually transferred across the Atlantic and it was a huge source of downtime and disconnects for EU players. It wasn't fair at all and so for Guild Wars 2 we decided it was a better trade-off to have reliable service on the same continent even if that limited the ability to play together somewhat.

: curious, just how large is an average players character data?
: I'm not sure that's something we've ever told anyone. Also ... it's a bit hard to say, since it goes through a lot of bit twiddling and compression before it gets to the database. It's super-optimized because the database servers are a very significant cost and we don't (and haven't ever) charged a monthly fee.

• 1 year later...

Just refreshing this, seems like this is still the case now.I'm originally from Europe and have a Europe account and friends I play with there.But I'm now living in NA and would also like to play with friends here, or be able to join NA servers at night time and find people doing World Bosses or Meta Events, rather than the empty maps because it's 5am in Europe.

Ideal thing would be to be able to guest across the wall.

To note: I'm still playing with my European friends in the weekend, and the lag isn't too terrible (~180ms).