Which professions go best thematically with which races? - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums
Home Lore

Which professions go best thematically with which races?

Comments

• @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:

but to be honest, apart from Engi all classes go well with sylvari.

Really?

Renegade Rework - A fan-made project including artwork and Wiki

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72196/become-renegade-the-greatsword-wielding-revenant#latest <<<----

Awesome thread, made by DonArkanio.6419 , a revenant rework.

Make sure to compliment him for all his hard work!!!

• yes, really. They are versatile. They are fighters, hunters, scholars. You find sylvri npc covering all classes (apart from mesmer and engi) in the maps. The only sylvari engi I remember was Scarlet.

But I can't really remember seeing norn necros or mesmer npcs. Or charr mesmers. We have an asuran mesmer in Sea of Sorrow. So mesmer is not human-only. Just rare among them?

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2020

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    But I can't really remember seeing norn necros or mesmer npcs.

Necromancer: Jhavi Jorasdottir, Havroun Weibe. Both even feature in Bjora Marches' metas.
    Mesmer: Valina Shadowsong, a hero challenge in Snowden Drifts, and the nameless Priory Magister hero challenge of Fort Trinity

All four are followers of Raven.

Or charr mesmers.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Soure_Doomsday
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vallus_Smokemane

And of course: 8 mesmers charr bosses in GW1 and Avarr the Fallen necromancer boss in GW1.

This is just off the top of my head.

All these squares make a circle.

• never realized that Jhavi is necro and hero challenges are something I rarely do these days. Thanks for reminding me of them.

• Jhavi Jorasdottir and Havroun Weibe, those r the 2 norn necroes i remember.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72196/become-renegade-the-greatsword-wielding-revenant#latest <<<----

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2020

Humans:
    Warrior (worship of Balthazar; worship of Kormir as Spellbreakers)
    Elementalist (worship of Dwayna, Grenth, Balthazar, Melandru)
    Guardian (worship of Balthazar and Dwayna)
    Thief (nobles always are thieves)
    Ranger (worship of Melandru)
    Mesmer (worship of Lyssa)
    Necromancer (worship of Grenth)

Sylvari:
    Ranger/Druid (affinity to nature)

Asura:
    Elementalist, Mesmer, Necromancer (because magic usually requires intelligence)

Norn:
    Warrior (big and strong hunks of muscle with often little brain)
    Ranger (Affinity with nature due to the spirits, as well as their whole hunter culture)

Charr:
    Warrior (strong, massive muscle kitties; Blood legion)
    Engineer (the general Steampunk identity of Charr culture; Iron Legion)
    Thief (Ash Legion)
    Honourable, nonplayable Charr mentions:
    Ranger (Olmakhan)
    Elementalist (Olmakhan, Flame Legion)

doesn't fit any race and was just invented as GW1-fanservice and fill the spot of the 3rd Heavy Armour profession:
    Revenant

• Human royal: elementalist, mesmer.
    Human commoner: warrior, guardian
    Human street rat: thief, mesmer.

Norn (common): ranger, warrior, guardian.
    Norn (havroun, priest/priestess of spirits): necromancer.

Asura: necromancer, engineer.

Sylvari: anything, really.

Charr (blood): warrior, elementalist, necromancer.
    Charr (ash): necromancer, thief, Mesmer.
    Charr (iron): engineer, warrior.

• Jimbru.6014Jimbru.6014 Member ✭✭✭✭

Obviously, a good RP idea can make any race work with any class. But some combinations do seem to come more naturally than others.

Ranger: Sylvari (obviously), Human (Melandru), Charr (Blood Legion was the first to tame devourers), Norn (hunters of legend), Asura (they love their dancing moas).

Engineer: Charr (they invented the profession), Asura (they love to tinker).

Thief: Sylvari (Night Bloom), Human (lower class + circus = daredevil), Norn (Snow Leopard), Charr (Ash Legion).

Necro: Human (Grenth), Charr (Ash Legion has a long history with necros), Norn (Raven), Asura (Oola, Synergetics, etc.).

Mesmer: Asura (Synergetics experimenting with reality), Human (Lyssa, Jennah, Anise, Kasmeer...), Norn (Raven).

Elementalist: Charr (Flame Legion shamanism), Asura (Magic + Explosions = MAGIC EXPLOSIONS!).

Warrior: Every race has its grunts. Pick your poison.

Guardian: Asura (they like magic with their melee), Human (gods), Sylvari (idealistic defenders following Ventari's code).

Revenant: Asura (quick to study a weird new form of magic), Human (gods, connections with history and the Mists, etc.), Norn (Raven, legends, defending the Mists).

• draxynnic.3719draxynnic.3719 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Jimbru.6014 said:
    Obviously, a good RP idea can make any race work with any class. But some combinations do seem to come more naturally than others.

Ranger: Sylvari (obviously), Human (Melandru), Charr (Blood Legion was the first to tame devourers), Norn (hunters of legend), Asura (they love their dancing moas).

Not sure the odd dancing moa really makes the asura a ranger-heavy culture. All things considered, asura are probably the most urban of the races - asura rangers will certainly exist, but I wouldn't call them a natural combination.

Engineer: Charr (they invented the profession), Asura (they love to tinker).

Human engineers are also fairly common. Human technology isn't as advanced as charr or asura, but they're trying to catch up, and most human factions have some form of grenadier at the very least.

Thief: Sylvari (Night Bloom), Human (lower class + circus = daredevil), Norn (Snow Leopard), Charr (Ash Legion).

Yup. However, you're missing asura "acquisition agents". The Inquest makes heavy usage of thieves, and it's a fighting style that theoretically minimises the disadvantage of being small.

Necro: Human (Grenth), Charr (Ash Legion has a long history with necros), Norn (Raven), Asura (Oola, Synergetics, etc.).

Yep. It's also worth noting the supposed connection between necromancy and golemancy, although whether Oola was on the mark with that one is open to interpretation.

Mesmer: Asura (Synergetics experimenting with reality), Human (Lyssa, Jennah, Anise, Kasmeer...), Norn (Raven).

Yup, although sylvari mesmers don't seem to be all that uncommon either, especially among the Nightmare Court.

Elementalist: Charr (Flame Legion shamanism), Asura (Magic + Explosions = MAGIC EXPLOSIONS!).

I'd put humans above charr here, especially considering the Flame Legion isn't technically playable. Humans have a long history with elemental magic. I'd also note that sylvari elementalists are also pretty common, which isn't all that surprising - if you want to focus on magic, elementalism is the most nature-oriented magic.

Warrior: Every race has its grunts. Pick your poison.

Possibly not so much as you might think. Asura mostly rely on golems for the grunts, and asura warriors are, therefore, comparatively rare. Warden and Vigilant forces tend to rely on rangers for their frontline, indicating that warriors are relatively rare (there's also a discussion in the sylvari camp in Brisban Wildlands between another sylvari and a sylvari warrior, and the context implies that sylvari warriors - who's training, unlike most other professions, is pretty much entirely oriented towards breaking stuff, even if they're doing so in order to protect something else - are few and far between).

Guardian: Asura (they like magic with their melee), Human (gods), Sylvari (idealistic defenders following Ventari's code).

Not sure about asura, since while they'd probably prefer being a Guardian to a straight Warrior, most asura would still regard that as a golem's job. Wolf Norn are probably more likely to take the path of the guardian, since they're all about working with others.

Revenant: Asura (quick to study a weird new form of magic), Human (gods, connections with history and the Mists, etc.), Norn (Raven, legends, defending the Mists).

Not sure about asura messing around with the legends of other races, to be honest, nor about taking a melee-oriented profession. Sylvari might pick it up specifically to go Ventari, and we know Rytlock has been spreading it among the charr, so there probably are a few of those, even if intuitively I'd expect charr to find revenants a bit iffy.

• @draxynnic.3719 said:

@Jimbru.6014 said:

Not sure about asura messing around with the legends of other races, to be honest, nor about taking a melee-oriented profession. Sylvari might pick it up specifically to go Ventari, and we know Rytlock has been spreading it among the charr, so there probably are a few of those, even if intuitively I'd expect charr to find revenants a bit iffy.

I'd think that an asura would go revenant to discover lost lore (possibly implying that they are in the priory) to spread, or just experiment.

• Fueki.4753Fueki.4753 Member ✭✭✭✭

@draxynnic.3719 said:

Actually, other races' tales, especially pirate tales make for 'fun diversions' in Asura labs, as we heard from Tessa during the Siren's Reef fractal.
    It's not surprising if they enjoy other races' legends, too.

edited February 20, 2020

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@Jimbru.6014 said:

I'd think that an asura would go revenant to discover lost lore (possibly implying that they are in the priory) to spread, or just experiment.

Agreed, but I think it'd be something that they'd do specifically because it's related to their "day job", rather than being something particularly common. So an asura historian might become a revenant as a means of getting direct access to sources (although there are some question marks over how reliable revenant legends would be as a source) or a researcher of the Mists might take it up for reasons that should be obvious, but an asura that didn't have a specific reason to become one probably wouldn't. While for humans, sylvari, and norn, I could see it being a religious or quasi-religious thing.

Essentially, I don't think you'd see many asura revenants where the power source of a revenant isn't somehow relevant to their job. But you might get a norn revenant who's simply a hunter who became a revenant because he wanted to honour past legends. Or a human soldier who's a devout follower of Kormir who became a revenant because she felt that channeling legends related to Abaddon's followers and those who fought against them would bring her a greater understanding of her god. Or a sylvari craftsman who generally doesn't seek combat at all, but because a revenant so he could commune with Ventari, and possibly other legends he considers worthy, as he meditates.

Of course, with the revenant being a profession that arrived so recently, most revenants at the moment are probably primarily motivated by "this will give me greater power to use against the minions of the Elder Dragons". Give it a few generations, though, and I suspect most "incidental" revenants - those who are revenants despite it not being directly related to their career, or at least having a career where other fighting professions would have been just as useful - would turn out to be humans, sylvari, and norn.

• ZDragon.3046ZDragon.3046 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2020

I think there are multiple answers for each race personally I think each race is at least good at no less than 3 of the 9 or rather i want to say 8 i dont really want to include revenant here. But yes good at no less than 2 or 3 roughly of the 8. I think each race also has at least 1 or 2 things they certainly are not fit for.

Charr
    Engineers, Rangers, Warriors, Guardians.. at least if you look at the blood and iron legions. Warriors are a standard given with blood and you can even see in several areas of the game where charr rase certain pets to fight along side them which would imply rangers are very common too. We know in the past charr were certainly not opposed to ritualistic things or magic which is still seen with Ash and flame thus might imply elementalist and necromancy too.

I think mesmer is where charr fall short as charr do not like deception on that scale and at that point its trusting magic far more than most would like even flame legion is not a fan of deception in a few examples i can think of.

Asura
    Engineers, Elementalist, Neromrancers, and honorably thieves gotta make the most of that small size. But their high intelectly in and lack of faith shys them away from things like warrior and guardian. I do how ever see Rangers as a possibility with asura. Considering many of them have golem companions or helpers which are capable of combat its almost the same as having a living pet imo.

Humans
    Mesmers, Elementalist, Necromancers, Warriors, Guardians, Rangers, Thieves, honestly they have a good even split i think humans are fit to do almost anything. There are so many relevant human examples of each profession in the game but mesmer is one of the most obvious.
    Queen J, Xera, Queen Dahlah, Gwen Thackeray, Countess Anise are all notable mesmers who are human and there are far many more than this.
    Marjory Delaqua, Queen Nahlah, Murakai were all notable necromancers who are human and there are far more non living story examples too.
    My point is that humans have enough examples in both story and ambient situations in each profession except Engineer that i think they are just generally good fitting for most professions possibly except engineer.

Norn
    Rangers hans down its all about the great hunt they often bond with spirits which are common animals in the areas in which they live but i would say warrior could be a possibility too along with necromancy as they do have a deep faith in the spirits and spirits in the since of things are dead things. Not all necromancy has to be seen as dark and evil nasty manipulation.

I feel like norn are the most limited but that just might be because anet neglects them and we still dont have enough data to go on. I dont just want to say i feel like they are good at everything.

Sylvari
    Rangers, Elementalist, thieves, and engineers oddly enough. For plant based life forms they certainly are smart and very cleaver even if they are overly curious about things they dont understand in the moment. I would peg them more advanced with even the use of common plant material than humans and norn are with modern refined materials. Get an asura and a Sylvari together and well you see how insane that combo becomes.

• Lan Deathrider.5910Lan Deathrider.5910 Member ✭✭✭✭

Make a female Charr Ele. Call her Sparkle Kitty.

• McPero.3287McPero.3287 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2020

For me:

Human:
    Mesmer, Elementalist, Thief, Guardian, Revenant, Necromancer

Sylvari:
    Ranger, Guardian

Asura:
    Engineer, Thief

Charr:
    Warrior, Engineer, Necromancer

Norn:
    Warrior, Ranger.

Non of the races but human really fit light classes that use a lot of magic. Apart from charr necro since it looks pretty well. Human, Norn and Sylvari are not big on technology so no engineer for them. Big races don't fit thief or Sylvari that are mostly good honest plants. Guardian fits well with passive/defensive races while Warrior fits better with aggressive big races.

• Try to imagine how a given profession could be expressed or pursued with any particular race. The more unlikely they seem the more room there is for creative space. For example let's look at the race of Sylvari. The Sylvari is a new race based on floral anatomy rather than fauna. Grown directly from the Pale Tree, they emerge fully formed and with no juvenile state. A lack of history plus vague recollections from the collective Dream create a rather inquisitive people that are adverse to isolation. Mostly bound by the precepts of Ventari's Tablet they are broadly pacifist but noble knights exist within their species. Given their proximity to the natural world and their affinity for bending other plants to their will they appear to be environmentally conscious. Let us shape these general thoughts into some possible character outlines.

Sylvari Warrior
    Perhaps one of the easier professions to express within the Sylvari culture. The noble Sylvari Warrior has an awareness of sound and voice. Learning and creating powerful Shouts they are able to stir bravery and feats of strength among their comrades. Their desire to inspire and encourage their comrade is also expressed in the physical creation of banners. Their innate ability to mold plants allow them to create durably beautiful banners of jute, linen (flax), and cotton.

Sylvari Guardian
    A natural professional choice for the Sylvari, for who has not sought protection under the shade of a giant tree. The Pale Tree herself is an expression of the inherent virtues of Courage and Resolve. The Sylvari once again utilizing their command of sound have created a new sets of shouts different from their Warrior brethren. Instead of stoking the rise of adrenaline and fury, Sylvari Guardians sing regenerative and protective magics into their party. But their magic is not just expressed in sound. Sylvari have created magical wards that consecrate the very ground beneath their feet providing support and robust bulwark of stability.

Sylvari Revenant
    The Dark Knight of the Pale Tree, the Revenant seems an unlikely choice. However, the Sylvari are direct creations of an Elder Dragon. They have brought into this world by the use of deep magics long since forgotten and buried within Tyria. Granted these magics were twisted to the will of the Eternal Alchemy, but the Sylvari have a deep connection to the flow of these energies. Utilizing the teachings of Glint and piercing into the veil a select few have made direct contact with that venerable centaur, Ventari.

Sylvari Ranger
    The most likely profession of all Sylvari, the wily Ranger is celebrated under the boughs of the Pale Tree. With Sylvan Hound and Druidic Spirit the Nature Magics of the Ranger are perfected by the Sylvari. From within the Maguuma Jungle they have made contact with the Spirits of Sun and Water, Stone and Storm. Their connection across the vastness of Tyria have allowed them to charm not just the Fern Hounds of the Pale Tree, but also the Jacaranda and Fanged Iboga have also fallen under their calming hands.

Sylvari Thief
    Absent of the many societal norms found among the other races, Sylvari have taken a rather novel approach to the concept of locks and property. A lithe frame and nimble fingers have allowed the Sylvari access to hidden chambers long thought lost. And like the invasive vines of Mordremoth himself, the Sylvari Thieves insert themselves into dark corners. Given their generalized concept of passive force the Sylvari have learned new skills to calm their sensibilities. By harvesting the various toxins and poisons of the jungle these charming bandits pass the blame of death onto the venom itself.

Sylvari Engineer
    The paradox of a Sylvari Engineer should not be taken as bizarre but rather striking. The entire race has only existed for a couple of decades. They thereby lack the physical amount of time required to produce the inventions and innovations that are common among Asura, Human, or Charr Engineers. But this lack of time does not mean they lack the creativity to quickly adapt existing technologies to meet their own needs. Perhaps on of the most common Sylvari innovations found in Tyria is the Elixir Gun. Initial designs required the Engineer to carry a heavy back piece to hold the many concoctions and drafts required to power this device. But under the shade of the Mother Tree Sylvari Engineers were able to develop extremely concentrated tinctures that only required exposure to ambient water vapor to catalyze new reactions in a more a compact delivery device.

Sylvari Elementalist
    Attuned to the very forces of nature Sylvari Elementalist have shown themselves to be gifted and artful in the wielding the secrets of elemental magics. First studying under the tutelage of Asuran and Human sorcerers, Sylvari soon began developing a whole new specialization within this profession. Utilizing the skills and talents already inherent among this fledgling race, Sylvari Elementalists sung the Elements to higher and more powerful expressions. Other races initially criticized the Sylvari as "overloading" the attunements. It did not take long, however, for all to see the benefits of "surfing the land" or "twisting the flame".

Sylvari Mesmer
    Sylvari Mesmers are a unique expression of an elusive profession. While other races wield signets, chant mantras, or summon clones Sylvari Mesmers have truly become masters of misdirection and camouflage. Most that meet Sylvari are initially confused and struck by their unique beauty. Capitalizing on this initial bewilderment Sylvari Mesmers redirect their opponents attacks with masterful manipulations. These Mesmers quickly cover ground like their brethren Thieves and disappear before you eyes. The question is "Are you sure you saw what you saw?"

Sylvari Necromancers
    Sylvari have not yet experienced old age. Indeed no one knows how long an individual Sylvari could live. This has left the race with an enduring curiosity for death. No burial rites to violate, no graves to desecrate Sylvari Necromancers show no compunction in raising the dead. Indeed many a Sylvari have utilized Necromantic energies to create a bone horror only to be consumed with their singular creation. They will try to converse with their flesh golems or turn their bone fiends into pets. Perhaps it is this very lack of reticence that makes them adept minion masters. Or is it the will of the dragon that is being expressed?

The point of this was to show that every race has the ability to fill every profession from a lore or story standpoint. Questions of "which is best" defeat the ability to be creative. How would Asura be a Warrior or Ranger? What does a Charr Necromancer look like? Are the best Human Mesmers nobles or carnies? All these questions and more lay open in the art story building.

So I leave you with an old Guild Wars 2 quote, "What's your story?"

"There is little love for those of my kind in this place, yet I am here to help save them all. To those who matter, actions speak louder than words and my actions shall echo across this city for eternity until all recognize the honor of the Tengu race." ~ Talon Silverwing

@Drgnfly.5812 said:
    The point of this was to show that every race has the ability to fill every profession from a lore or story standpoint. Questions of "which is best" defeat the ability to be creative. How would Asura be a Warrior or Ranger? What does a Charr Necromancer look like? Are the best Human Mesmers nobles or carnies? All these questions and more lay open in the art story building.

So I leave you with an old Guild Wars 2 quote, "What's your story?"

I get what you're trying to say, but what you're trying to say is already pretty much accepted. It's official that any race can be any (playable) profession.

However, we do know that some professions are more common with some races than others. ArenaNet had a table of which race/profession combinations are common, uncommon, and "only use this if there's a story behind it". I suspect that table has been lost or sometimes ignored, but we have been told that some combinations are more common than others.

For instance, we've been told outright that sylvari necromancers and engineers are rare. Not unknown, obviously - we've had several important characters who are sylvari necromancers and engineers. We also have the evidence that sylvari warriors are fairly rare - there's a discussion in Brisban Wildlands where another sylvari is trying to understand the mindset of a sylvari warrior, and generic sylvari Wardens and Wyld Hunters are usually rangers. Conversely, by that same token, rangers seem to be really common.

Nothing stops someone from playing an unusual match. In fact, one could say that it's the unusual matches that have a higher chance of being exceptional, as PCs or significant NPCs.

However, I think it is worthwhile discussing which combinations are more common than others. It means people who do want to choose a thematic match know which race/profession combinations to go for. Likewise, someone who wants to do the opposite and go for something unusual can get an indication of what is unusual according to the lore. Finally, it's simply a matter of lore curiosity.

Nothing in this discussion is intended to disincentivise people from choosing a more unusual combination. It's just about trying to establish which combinations are unusual (or otherwise) so people can make informed decisions if that matters to them... either way!

• Neeklahs.3064Neeklahs.3064 Member ✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020

Humans: War, ele, guardian, ranger
    Charr: warr, engi, ele, thief, Reve
    Asura: Ele, engi, mesmer
    Silvary: Thief, Warrior, Engineer.
    Norn: Ranger, Ele, Mesmer, Reve, Necro, Engi

YES! Mesmer norn, Like Orma in Fireheart Rise or Lornar's Pass
    Engineer Scrapper or Holosmith , the true forgemaster, the norn have technology, kinda like Charr and Dredge, and most important a big dude with a big gun/hammer suit well to me, afterall norn have guns they chat about it outside the Great Lodge:

Rancher: What about you? How big is your axe collection?
    Local: Don't have one.
    Rancher: Ah hah! So I have more than you do.
    Local: I collect guns.
    Rancher: Oh.

About the previous necromancer discussion:

Norn are not human, they have different standards, necromancy is fine for them, unless they heresy the spirits or desecrate the corpses of heroes. Also Raven is associated with wisdom, cunning, trickery, knowledge, the Underworld, ghosts, and kitten.

As whe know Norn spiritcallers are able to o summon spirits of the dead from the Underworld to Tyria via a rituals in Raven's name. and they mere spiritcalles not havroun.

Lefsi Spiritchaser: Hear me, Raven!
    Lefsi Spiritchaser: We beseech you, oh spirit of trickery and cunning.
    Lefsi Spiritchaser: Send us an emissary from the lands of the dead.
    Lefsi Spiritchaser: Imbue this pendant with your spirit to protect its bearer.

There are a some Norn Necromancer, all of them seems fine in society, exept for one in Godslost Swamp , for example Jhavi Jorasdottir one of the leaders of the Vigil, there are a loot of other races necromancers in the norn lands, like Lessandro.
    There is no point in putting human (Kryta) prejudices into a culture like the norn, where what defines you are your achievements, necromancy can only be seen as a weapon like any other, any norn will be frowned upon if they use their weapons against the legacy from someone else or against the spirits Like Avarr the Fallen:

"Beware! Avarr is a Norn whose battles are fought without honor, his victories as shallow and empty as the bottomless pit in Jaga Moraine where he resides, banished from Norn society, fallen from the grace of the bear spirit. The animated remains of those he has poisoned, cheated, and murdered are bound to him, following him always, his unwitting servants in death."

He didn't fight with honor, but they do not refer to necromancy, he refers to he has no honor in battle, he is more like the one who put traps, poisons out of combat or a simple murder without a fight.

• Drizzt.1796Drizzt.1796 Member ✭✭

For me a charr necro would make since. Why?
    SPOILER ALERT!

After defeating his foes with the power of Blood and Ash combined, he/she then raised their enemies from the dead to either kill again or turn against their(the enemies) allies.

• Randin.5701Randin.5701 Member ✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020

Charr are the race I'm most familiar with, so let's run through the classes, and see how well they fit with them:

• Warrior, Engineer, and Thief are the signature classes for the Blood, Iron, and Ash Legions, respectively, so they're obviously in.
    • Rangers would likely be fairly common as warband scouts, although with their lack of anything techy, I imagine that they'd be less common in Iron than in Blood and Ash.
    • Necromancers actually seem to show up fairly often as Ash Legion NPCs, and with Ascalon dealing with a persistent ghost problem, it makes sense that the Charr would train undead specialists.
    • Elementalists are in a weird spot, as they're the signature class for the Flame Legion. Flame used to be accepted in Charr society, and I'd imagine that there has been enough cultural exchange between legions that it would lead to Elementalists existing in the other legions, but they might be a little distrusted for being too Flamey.
    • Revenants are also odd. Rytlock was the first Revenant, so you'd expect that to cause them to be more common amongst the Charr, but at the same time, the Revenant's brand of Mist magic seems like it's a better match for cultures that go in for things like gods and the veneration of ancestors, and which just generally care about the things in the Mists, which very much isn't the Charr. So I'm inclined to call them less common.
    • Guardians, if I remember correctly, are supposed to have arisen from GW1 classes that are tied to specifically Human cultural practices. Since GW2 opens with the Humans and Charr having just barely started to make peace with each other, Guardian is something that might be seen as being "too Human" to be something that the Charr are interested in.
    • Mesmers also seem to show up as being more of a Human thing, so I could see the Charr generally dismissing it for the same reason as the Guardian.

@Neeklahs.3064

Norn tolerating necromancers because they fit within Raven's domain is no different to humans tolerating them because they're part of Grenth's domain. There are pretty strong indications that they have a similar attitude as humans when it comes to animating the dead, though. There's probably less of an overt disgust response since norn judge everyone by their own actions rather than part of a group, so they won't overtly show disrespect to one necromancer just because another went bad like a human might, but a handful of norn necromancers that are mostly Raven followers doesn't show a general trend towards use of necromancy than the presence of human necromancers that are mostly Grenth followers.

(I'd also note in that respect that Lefsi Spiritchaser was a ritualist, not a necromancer, and ritualists were viewed quite favourably in Cantha. But even if Lefsi was a necromancer - one necromancer in a quest specifically involving the realm of the dead does not point to them being common)

Similarly, regarding mesmers and engineers - the fact that there are a few around that you can run into does not mean that they're particularly representative of the race, and despite living in what was formerly dwarf territory and right next to Iron Legion territory the norn as a race seem to be below humans when it comes to advanced technology. I'm amazed that you're nominating mesmer for norn based on a couple of characters, given how many prominent human mesmers there are.

I'm also amazed at where you got your sylvari list from. We've been explicitly told that engineers are rare among sylvari and Scarlet was a special case. We also have indications that warriors are rare among non-Nightmare Sylvari. If you go into a sylvari-controlled region and observe how Wardens and Valiants fight, you should notice that most of them are rangers, and even among the Nightmare Court rangers seem to be at least as common as warriors.

• Neeklahs.3064Neeklahs.3064 Member ✭✭
    edited April 12, 2020

@draxynnic.3719
    norn aren't humans they dont even see death in the same way as humans do, they happily jump off a bridge if this allows them to forge a legend.
    About Lefsi Spiritchaser he asked for a "emissary from the lands of the dead" thats more necromantic than ritualist if we apply it in gw2.
    Also norn necromancy is diferent from human ones, they don't go around animating the dead, they're more bound to soul magic, blood magic, dark arts in general, that kind of thing but not animating dead kitten, the only respectable norn we see invoking creatures is Wiebe and he don't summon dead creatures, he summoned Kraits.

About engineer you can see a lot of norn hunters carring shotguns and the fire rate is most like the engineer auto skill IMO, but yeah, a lot o norn uses guns, they arent the turret or fancy kind of engineer, they are most like the scrapper, firearms, Explosives. like i say mos like the Charr or Dredge thecnology, more linked to the forge than to the magitech, even in the personal story norn you steal a charr tank and use it, obviously the norn know about technology. Even in "The Great Hunt" norn intro you se a lot of norns with firearms.

the silvary list is fine for me, you use a lot of warriors or I think they are, random people swinging a sword, a mace or a greatsword. About the engineers, because the thing is that normal silvaris don't make things like scarlet, they make them grow like turrets, they have plant guns and kitten, like biotech.

edited April 12, 2020

@Neeklahs.3064 said:
    The only respectable norn we see invoking creatures is Wiebe and he don't summon dead creatures, he summoned Kraits.

Well.... the wiki says that that is odd... but I do see your point.

Notes on Charr professions...

• The Charr are practical to a fault. They will embrace any weapon, any technology, any profession they can turn to their purposes. Sometimes reluctantly, sometimes with derision, but if it works, they'll use it.
    • Of the playable Legions, Ash is the one most likely to embrace "unconventional" professions. Conversely, Blood is the most conservative.
    • The Charr are generally distrustful of magic and anything that reeks of spirituality or religion.

Now, regarding specific professions...

Charr Warriors: Blood Legion probably has more warriors than all its other professions together, but they are present in all the Legions and other Charr factions in varying numbers. Every legion needs heavies as bodyguards, sentries and enforcers, and even Ash Legion knows that sometimes the best approach is to kick in the front door; better to distract from your partners sneaking in the back. RP wise, it would be easy to justify a Charr warrior of just about any background.

Charr Guardians: Dinky is the only explicitly stated Charr Guardian NPC I have ever seen in game, and his story specifically mentions how he is made fun of for being a Guardian. Given the atheistic and practical tendencies of Charr culture, it's definitely a path less followed. RP wise, I'd expect a Charr Guardian to have an unusual idealistic or spiritual backstory, and they'd probably be Vigil or Priory in the Pact.

Charr Revenants: Besides Rytlock, Gorea Halfcut in Elon Riverlands is the only other Charr Revenant NPC I know about. The profession is probably as rare as Guardians, for two reasons. First, Revenants are new to the world, so there's not been time yet for many Charr to have pursued that path. Second, the profession is strange and spiritual, and the Charr don't like strange and spiritual. Renegades invoking Kalla Scorchrazor are probably the most common elite spec, though I think Rytlock's direct association with Glint probably makes him more of a Herald. RP wise, like Guardians, I would expect Charr Revenants to have an unusual backstory.

Charr Rangers: Blood Legion was the first to tame devourers, and of course we have the NPC example of Rox. Rangers would fit well in either Blood or Ash as scouts and skirmishers, patrolling and spying and living off the land. Not a good fit with the technically inclined Iron Legion. Charr Rangers would also be good characters to "go native" with the Olmakhan if you're so inclined.

Charr Engineers: Present in all the Legions, but in Iron Legion, everyone is an "engineer" to some degree. Iron Legion's Engineers are the originators of the profession and still the best, at least in their own opinion. The Scrapper elite spec with its big hammers and gyro gadgets seems natural for the Charr.

Charr Thieves: Present in all the Legions as well, but Ash Legion is where they are most common; there are more Thieves than Warriors in Ash. Deadeye is a good fit for Charr, but given their size, it's hard to imagine a Charr Daredevil flipping all over the place.

Charr Mesmers: The arts of illusion, disguise and deception would appeal to Ash Legion. They wouldn't be the pretty "summoning magical butterflies" kind of mesmers as one Charr in Grothmar says about Kasmeer; Charr mesmers would be more practical, sneaky and combative, like Gwen Thackeray or Anise. In fact, Gwen's exploits against the Charr could be the inspiration for Charr Mesmers; what better way to honor your greatest enemy than by imitation...

Charr Elementalists: Probably the most common "caster" class among the Legions, especially Flame and Blood. Blood Legion likes their firepower, even if they are mistrustful of what they might call "Flame Legion sorcery". There are several NPC examples, including two possibles for your warband and Crecia. Also present among the Olmakhan, making for a good RP story if you want to go that route.

Charr Necromancers: Ash Legion has a long history with necromancers; there have been a number of Charr necro NPCs with "Ash" in their names. And the Charr certainly have studied necromancy searching for a solution to Ascalon's ghosts. I don't see Charr necros fitting well with the Olmakhan, who would regard them as "unnatural".

• Kulvar.1239Kulvar.1239 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Artyport.2084 said:
    the thing about this game is with the wardrobe system you can really thematically make anything work.

for instance.
    Asura warrior- equip all tech weapons and some tech outfit and boom a little guy using a power suit and power weapons to beat the kitten out of ankles

You're absolutely right !
    Asura warrior : heavy T3 + Magitek rifle

As Charr you can get an elementalist and a mesmer as part of your warband.

@Jimbru.6014 said:
    Charr Necromancers: Ash Legion has a long history with necromancers; there have been a number of Charr necro NPCs with "Ash" in their names. And the Charr certainly have studied necromancy searching for a solution to Ascalon's ghosts. I don't see Charr necros fitting well with the Olmakhan, who would regard them as "unnatural".

What about the Olmakhan Lifebinders? They might bind souls to inanimate objects, though, so far, we haven't had any luck finding much anything about the Lifebinders.

@Neeklahs.3064 said:
    @draxynnic.3719
    norn aren't humans they dont even see death in the same way as humans do, they happily jump off a bridge if this allows them to forge a legend.

Norn aren't humans, but they certainly seem to have human-like attitudes towards desecrating the dead.

About Lefsi Spiritchaser he asked for a "emissary from the lands of the dead" thats more necromantic than ritualist if we apply it in gw2.

...because ritualists don't exist, at least not as an explicit thing, in GW2? Pulling spirits from the realm of the dead was always coming from the ritualist side, while necromancers dealt more with the Tyrian side of death. Either way, Lefsi is a terrible example, because he's explicitly not a necromancer. Maybe modern necromancers have absorbed that aspect of ritualism, but Lefsi himself is a ritualist, not a necromancer.

Either way, a few examples does not mean it's a signature profession of the race. There are quite a few human necromancers that can be listed as well.

Also norn necromancy is diferent from human ones, they don't go around animating the dead, they're more bound to soul magic, blood magic, dark arts in general, that kind of thing but not animating dead kitten, the only respectable norn we see invoking creatures is Wiebe and he don't summon dead creatures, he summoned Kraits.

Human necromancers don't necessarily animate the dead either, but there's still a stigma because everyone knows they could.

About engineer you can see a lot of norn hunters carring shotguns and the fire rate is most like the engineer auto skill IMO, but yeah, a lot o norn uses guns, they arent the turret or fancy kind of engineer, they are most like the scrapper, firearms, Explosives. like i say mos like the Charr or Dredge thecnology, more linked to the forge than to the magitech, even in the personal story norn you steal a charr tank and use it, obviously the norn know about technology. Even in "The Great Hunt" norn intro you se a lot of norns with firearms.

Again, just carrying a few guns doesn't mean they're engineer-oriented. Going to need a lot more than a few guns to make that argument.

Let's look at humans, for instance. Watchknights are essentially human-made golems, although like golems there a mix of magic and engineering rather than being pure golems. Pretty much every enemy human faction we can fight has some sort of bomber or grenadier variant, while off the top of my head I don't think I've ever seen a generic norn hunter tossing grenades. Warriors (which do use firearms) and rangers seem to be much more common. If we were rating which races had the most focus on engineering, norn would be lower on the scale than humans.

the silvary list is fine for me, you use a lot of warriors or I think they are, random people swinging a sword, a mace or a greatsword. About the engineers, because the thing is that normal silvaris don't make things like scarlet, they make them grow like turrets, they have plant guns and kitten, like biotech.

You might see a few in the Nightmare Court, but the Court leans towards darker and more violent professions than mainstream sylvari society thanks to their nature.

You seem to have been observing norn closely - do the same for sylvari generic NPCs. Sylvari Wardens have three basic variants - an archer variant that behaves like a ranger longbow, a melee variant that uses ranger axe skills, and an elementalist variant that uses Earth Magic. Valiants also tend to be warriors rather than rangers. Given that the basic sylvari troops appear to be rangers rather than warriors, this suggests to me that the warrior profession is actually fairly rare among mainstream sylvari society.

There's also the discussion between Brenalynn and Thermaine, where the former is behaving as if a sylvari warrior is something exotic that she's never seen before, rather than something commonplace.

When it comes to sylvari plant turrets and such... this might have similar results to engineering, but it is explicitly not engineering, but something specific to sylvari employing their own unique racial magic (which is probably closer to ranger magic than anything). If anything, their availability provides a disincentive to working with machinery, because they achieve similar effects without needing machines.

Rangers and scholar professions seem to be much more common among sylvari than either warriors or engineers.

• Dustfinger.9510Dustfinger.9510 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2020

I think the thread topic is flawed. A lot of the classes are pretty diverse. And the races take a diverse approach to them. e.g. Lot's of posts limiting the charr. Should be noted that each Legion utilizes all the classes. But every toon we make in any legion has the option to be best friends with an elementalist and a guardian in their own Legion. So, while the Blood Legion may be more melee focused, they'd be more apt to utilize more melee oriented elementalists. And Norn pick any job they want to make their legend and run with it 100%. So while there may be more human engineers, the Norn engineer is more likely to be better becasue the Norn takes his job more seriously as it be come his/her one true purpose in life.

The base engineer is equipment is charr. But the photon forge looks solidly asuran. So rather than looking for which class goes with which racial thematic, I'd look at how each race approaches each class becasue each race uses each class.

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@Jimbru.6014 said:

What about the Olmakhan Lifebinders? They might bind souls to inanimate objects, though, so far, we haven't had any luck finding much anything about the Lifebinders.

Judging by their dress and the abilities they use in game, the Lifebinders are Druids.

• Taylan.2187Taylan.2187 Member ✭✭✭

Everyone posting their opinions, so here is mine. :D

Human are very diverse and can fit to anything really. They have traditional soldiers (warriors, guardians), affinity to various kinds of magic (to which I'd include revenants), crazy engineers, sneaky thiefs, and adventurous rangers. No profession feels "out of place" with a human, although their soldiers might seem inferior to Charr or Norn soldiers due to their smaller size. I suppose finesse, strategy and faith in their deities can make up for that however. They've proven their equal power against the Charr in many battles after all.

I think Sylvari are almost just as versatile. Their plant nature means they could grow large and hard-skinned to fit a soldier style, and their curiosity and mystical nature might draw them to various kinds of magic, from elements to necromancy to illusions to channeling the mists. Don't need to say anything about ranger. Thief fits very well also, like a cunning wood creature. Engineer is the only one that feels a bit out of place.

Charr are obviously warriors and engineers first and foremost. Rangers are also a good fit especially with devourer pets. Thief goes well with Ash Legion and maybe the fact that kitties can be sneaky and cunning, but it's only a secondary fit IMO. The flame legion uses fire magic, but not other elements, and are outcasts, so IMO elementalist doesn't really fit for a Charr player character. Same for illusions and necromancy, which aren't very Charr-like. Revenant and guardian also get a meh from me, though a Kella-themed revenant might work. Guardian gets a meh because Charr are fierce and ferocious, not protectors. I haven't mentioned the Olmakhan because the player character can't really be one.

Norn are obviously mostly warriors and rangers. I guess guardian also fits. Revenant I don't really see fitting because the Norn worship the spirits of the wild, not other mystical/magical stuff. Elemental magic and necromancy are things I'd expect from a Svanir, not the player character. Mesmers are flamboyant as hell and very Norn-unlike. Thief requires you to be more nimble than a towering giant. Engineer might sorta kinda work maybe but Norn aren't known to use much advanced technology.

Asura is the race I have the most issues with. This is mostly because their extreme sci-fi theme doesn't fit any of the playable classes. They're tiny geniuses, so magic might superficially sound like their thing (like Gnomes in WoW), but the types of magic used by elementalists, necromancers, and mesmers all feel like a bad fit to an Asura, who use more a combination of sci-fi gadgets and more "raw" magic like ley-line energy. You might imagine an Asura in some kind of battle suit, being a warrior or guardian, but IMO it's a stretch; they'd rather build a golem and sit inside it like Taimi does. Rev doesn't work very well either unless you RP an Asura who obsesses over studying the Mists or something. Ranger, thief, and even engineer feel like "below" Asura, who would neither want to get dirty and socialize with animals, nor pathetically sneak around in the shadows, nor use lesser technologies like crude explosives and scrap metal. The holosmith might be an exception (which in turn I haven't thought about while thinking of the other races, because I find the holosmith so out of place).

• Teratus.2859Teratus.2859 Member ✭✭✭✭

@VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    yes, really. They are versatile. They are fighters, hunters, scholars. You find sylvri npc covering all classes (apart from mesmer and engi) in the maps. The only sylvari engi I remember was Scarlet.

But I can't really remember seeing norn necros or mesmer npcs. Or charr mesmers. We have an asuran mesmer in Sea of Sorrow. So mesmer is not human-only. Just rare among them?

On top of other mentions there is this guy in Queensdale too.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Necromancer_(NPC)

• @draxynnic.3719 said:

@Neeklahs.3064 said:

Norn aren't humans, but they certainly seem to have human-like attitudes towards desecrating the dead.

No, you still humanising norn way to much, don't tink about them as u think as human or real world human culture paralel, there is nothing in lore that suggests that the Norn view necromancy badly, in fact what is known is that the Norn will use whatever seems cool to destroy their enemies, I don't see why a Norn would see bad the practice since they think beating a drake to death with its own child is cool AF. And this you see as soon as you start with your character norn, just as you see that the norn use firearms, which gives them a good place as engineers, many Aetherblades are norn. Being an engineer does not imply being a genius in mechanics, but having it as your fighting force. Even the engineer as a playable profession is based on the use of weapons instead of inventing things, turrets deploy them, do not create them at the moment, the engineer is never said to create his kits or weapons, only knowledge is needed basic powder and maintenance just like any other weapon. Norn cannot be seen as technologically kitten, he simply does not need it, he has magic and an absurdly strong body and it is said in lore that a single norn can against a small warband who still a very powerfull forse, when a norn uses technology they go for the big nuke kinda like Champion First Mate Horrik he uses a kitten cannon from a kitten airship, also all norn gun design are kitten huge.

@Edge.8724 said:
    For the humans in this game, I always though of this: Some proffessions seems tied with their gods.

For exemple,
    Warrior - Balthazar
    Guardian - Dwayna
    Revenant - N/A
    Ranger - Melandru
    Thief - N/A
    Engineer - N/A
    Mesmer- Lyssa
    Elementalist - N/A
    Necromancer - Grenth

For N/A, I didn't found them though... Only thing minght be Abbaddon or Kormir.

Balthazar's half brother, Menzies perhaps for one of the N/A

@Musaroxy.2874 said:
    Charr have been covered pretty well by everyone else here, but I have to say, Necromancer is perfectly suited to Charr as well. A number of Ash Legion NPCs are Necromancers, and with all the ancient Human ruins around? Easy pickings for minion-making.

All of the Humans in ascalon turned into ghosts(the bodies turned into the ghosts shell to hold the weapon) because of the foefire. So, honestly, its not like there are tons of corpses laying around a long forgotten battlefield. :tongue:

@Drizzt.1796 said:
    All of the Humans in ascalon turned into ghosts(the bodies turned into the ghosts shell to hold the weapon) because of the foefire. So, honestly, its not like there are tons of corpses laying around a long forgotten battlefield. :tongue:

There are a lot of human bandits and rebels still striking at the charr in Ascalon though.

• Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020

Revenant: As far as the profession itself goes, Id say in the cannon and within the lore itself that really only maybe two of the races canonically can be revenants or have them within their culture and ranks. The charr due to rytlock teaching them the practice when he was recalled in S3 prior to HoT which he Eludes too in PoF which is where and probably WHY we got kalla. I do think they are exceptionally rare as charr hate magic, they just don't like it or trust it. Any magic proffession is probably not as major as ranger, warrior and Engie along with thief.

The norn however have probably been doing "it" without having a true name for it for a long time, as they can and do have a connection to the mists as seen within their personal story. Hell Havrouns can enter the mists fully and freely and even bring along company, I can fully believe that an enamored young-adult norn hearing of shiro might go to learn more of his legend. And in an odd twist of fate.... begins to hear the call so to speak~ Or any such legend. And thus the norn goes to a havroun and from there they begin to practice mist magic and in time learn to channel legends. (Their entire culture is based around legends.)

Humans probably don't have a single revenant right now in the cannon, I doubt they would either. They don't care about such trifling things and from the previous entry and even in this game they are VERY skitish about the mists. To them its not to be tampered with, and I doubt a human would willingly channel shiro, mallyx, ventari or kalla or even glint because to them they ALL represent enemies of their race. They are very, very, very no-go with anything to go with that or anything that can't be linked to their petty gods..

Sylvari do hear the call of the mists, and with ventari's tablet being so close and the pale tree being able to connect to the mists I could see "Aspiring" revenants coming forth to learn. I feel like its fair to assume they would be able to do it eventually and might gradually pick it up, heck even in the dream they might be able to MEET their legends depending on who it is.

Asuran are the ones I feel would just study it at a distance. They are too snobish and selfish to care about legends or hog-wash magic when they could just use science in its place. To them the mists is an energy source and tool, its not somewhere you go to learn to fight but more of a battery for their machines and studies..

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Asuran are the ones I feel would just study it at a distance. They are too snobish and selfish to care about legends or hog-wash magic when they could just use science in its place. To them the mists is an energy source and tool, its not somewhere you go to learn to fight but more of a battery for their machines and studies..

Ehh, asuran science revolves around the rules of magic and how they all connect everything. I don't see them taking a hogwash approach toward magic at all. They just wouldn't be prone to get caught up in the less academic aspects like legends and glory but they'd look at the exact same things with a scientific and examining mind set.

@Dustfinger.9510 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Ehh, asuran science revolves around the rules of magic and how they all connect everything. I don't see them taking a hogwash approach toward magic at all. They just wouldn't be prone to get caught up in the less academic aspects like legends and glory but they'd look at the exact same things with a scientific and examining mind set.

I guess, Im not as inclined to information about them. (Never paid much attention to them, so my apologies.)

• Elric.4713Elric.4713 Member ✭✭✭

@Thornwolf.9721 said:
    Humans probably don't have a single revenant right now in the cannon, I doubt they would either. They don't care about such trifling things and from the previous entry and even in this game they are VERY skitish about the mists. To them its not to be tampered with, and I doubt a human would willingly channel shiro, mallyx, ventari or kalla or even glint because to them they ALL represent enemies of their race. They are very, very, very no-go with anything to go with that or anything that can't be linked to their petty gods..

Humans have always had connection to the Mists through the Ritualist profession.

👻Legendary Ritualist Stance - Invoke the power of the legendary ritualist Master Togo.

@Elric.4713 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

Humans have always had connection to the Mists through the Ritualist profession.

Yes but the revenant and ritualist are two different animals. Humans are self-centered, and honestly the only reason they'd lack it is because a charr came up with it and the racial tensions are still there. A few might pick it up but most would probably never touch it~

Ritualists are also pretty culturally limiting. In GW, they were "unique to Cantha" and we don't really see them in playable humanity, that I'm aware of anyways. So, while there may be a few individual outside of Cantha, they'd be hard pressed to be (playable) humanities connection to the mists. Or, as humanities representation of their connection to the mists, their apparent rarity outside of Cantha is an indication that humanities connection to the mists, as a whole, isn't very strong.

• JekthAvid.1408JekthAvid.1408 Member ✭✭✭

Didn't trahearne use undead minions? He was pretty trusted, right?

• Mad Queen Malafide.7512Mad Queen Malafide.7512 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2020

It is note worthy to mention that in GW1 we see Charr inhabit any of the original core professions. We see:

Warrior: Charr Warrior / Charr Axe Fiend / Charr Blade Storm / Charr Scout / Ember Bearer / Charr Skullcrusher / Charr Tracker / Charr Shadowblade / Elite Charr Guard / Charr Blademaster / Charr Axemaster
    Ranger: Charr Hunter / Charr Stalker / Charr Sentry / Charr Demolisher / Charr Scout / Charr Seeker / Charr Warden / Elite Charr Guard
    Monk: Charr Shaman / Charr Martyr / Charr Overseer / Charr Mender / Charr Prophet
    Necromancer: Charr Ashen Claw / Charr Ash Walker / Charr Ash Caller / Charr Ash Storm / Charr Ash Thief / Charr Defiler / Charr Hexreaper
    Mesmer: Charr Chaot / Charr Mind Spark / Charr Mind Lord / Charr Dominator
    Elementalist: Charr Fire Caller / Charr Flame Wielder / Flame Keeper / Charr Wardkeeper / Charr Flame Lord /Charr Sootreigner / Charr Firereigner /Charr Flameshielder
    Ritualist: Charr Ash Bearer / Charr Avenger

No common Charr assassins, apart from bosses. There are also a few rare dual profession Charr in GW1. Warriors, rangers, monks, necromancers and elementalists seem the most represented in GW1 among the Charr.

• Sovereign.1093Sovereign.1093 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2020

If human, ranger
    If char, necro
    If sylvari, guardian
    If asura, thief
    If norn, warrior
    If quagan, ele
    If choya, mesmer
    If skrit, engi
    If tengu, rev

Not Even Coverage is the Only broken thing in WVW.

• Kalavier.1097Kalavier.1097 Member ✭✭✭

Thematically every profession can match with every race. Most classes include a range of arch-types/variants that can fit into each culture without real issue.

• Revolution.5409Revolution.5409 Member ✭✭✭

I think the only two professions that make a difference are Mesmer and Engineer.

The first is a type of magic used only by humans, the only non-human Mesmer that I remember is Faolain, it does not seem to me that there were other Mesmer sylvari.

The engineer is a profession developed by Iron Legion, but I think that unlike Mesmer over time it has been possible for other races to learn this profession, the Watchknight are an example.

• There was plenty of none human Mesmers in GW1...

• Kalavier.1097Kalavier.1097 Member ✭✭✭

@Revolution.5409 said:
    I think the only two professions that make a difference are Mesmer and Engineer.

The first is a type of magic used only by humans, the only non-human Mesmer that I remember is Faolain, it does not seem to me that there were other Mesmer sylvari.

The engineer is a profession developed by Iron Legion, but I think that unlike Mesmer over time it has been possible for other races to learn this profession, the Watchknight are an example.

Um... in the Sylvari pesronal story the Order of Whispers contact is a Sylvari mesmer who had been working on an illusion spell for a while. There is a Norn mesmer who randomly appears near the Priory at times as an event. There is an evil Norn mesmer who spawns in snowden drifts. GW1 had dwarf, Forgotton, Charr, Mursaat, Margonite, Tengu mesmers.

There are tons of Mesmers across all races.

@assasin oates.3018 said:
    There was plenty of none human Mesmers in GW1...

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:

Um... in the Sylvari pesronal story the Order of Whispers contact is a Sylvari mesmer who had been working on an illusion spell for a while. There is a Norn mesmer who randomly appears near the Priory at times as an event. There is an evil Norn mesmer who spawns in snowden drifts. GW1 had dwarf, Forgotton, Charr, Mursaat, Margonite, Tengu mesmers.

Theres also Goemm the Mad who is an asura.

• Revolution.5409Revolution.5409 Member ✭✭✭

@Drizzt.1796 said:

@assasin oates.3018 said:
    There was plenty of none human Mesmers in GW1...

@Kalavier.1097 said:

@Revolution.5409 said:

Theres also Goemm the Mad who is an asura.

I correct myself guys, it's mainly used by humans, I think it's okay now. :)