New playable race — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New playable race

Xar.1387Xar.1387 Member ✭✭
edited August 22, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I wont write too much...

DWARVES!

Fantasy universe isnt complete without these little, bearded guys.
New playable race like that could bring alot of new players to the game. And also veterans.
There's also alot of mmorpg players that identify with dwarves and its really hard to find another race for them in gw2.
So many of them cant fit into this universe. Adding them to the game would bring many benefits with a relatively small amount of work.

(And yes: I know lore pretty well. There's alot of options for dwarves to make epic comeback)

http://aiwe.eu - Polish (RolePlay / Raid / PvP) guild

<13

Comments

• but they can't comeback

there all dead except for ogden but thats just a head

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

@infrequentia.3465 said:
    but they can't comeback

They're not dead, they're just underground fighting the destroyers. And Ogden isn't just a head, he's the dwarf who works with the Priory and who helps us get to Glint's Lair during the living story. The one who is just a head is Rhoban (who also teams up with the Priory later).

The other dwarves might well come back into the story at some point, especially if we end up fighting Primordius or otherwise going underground. But I think it's unlikely they'll ever be a playable race because they're now completely single-minded and devoted to fighting the destroyers so they wouldn't be able to do anything else.

"Hard knocks, bad luck, been knocked down,
    You got back up, rise up, shine on, keep on fighting, the war is almost done...But then I hear you're gone.
    I feel, when the lights go down, you are still here, all you hold dear remains.
    Your star never fades."

• Artyport.2084Artyport.2084 Member ✭✭✭

Ironically Norn were meant to be the dwarf stereotype. lol.
    I mean they are just big dwarves

• Xar.1387Xar.1387 Member ✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

New races won't happen in the near future, this has been established and explained ad nauceum.

Can u prove it somehow?

Also ppl (including devs) don't want generic fantasy tropes in the game (why do you think the dwarves went extinct)

Really? So why those generic fantasy tropes already exist then? There's already ALOT of them in GW2.
    Even dwarves already exist. I am not writing about creating whole new race, right? Dwarves already exist in this "not generic fantasy" universe :D
    And there's alot of informations about them.

Also "devs/players dont want" argument in 2k18? Really? They didnt want mounts too. While right now every1 uses it. Same with raids.

I will tell you something. People very often do not know what they want. Until they got it.

Do not mislead people if you do not know something, please.
    "A lie repeated a thousand times becomes true" And it looks like it worked with dwarves.
    Many short minded people were telling others that dwarves are dead. And now alot of people blindly repeats it.

http://aiwe.eu - Polish (RolePlay / Raid / PvP) guild

• Magek.4718Magek.4718 Member ✭✭✭

@derd.6413 said:
    New races won't happen in the near future, this has been established and explained ad nauceum.
    Also ppl (including devs) don't want generic fantasy tropes in the game (why do you think the dwarves went extinct)

Just like mounts

• @Danikat.8537 said:

@infrequentia.3465 said:
    but they can't comeback

They're not dead, they're just underground fighting the destroyers. And Ogden isn't just a head, he's the dwarf who works with the Priory and who helps us get to Glint's Lair during the living story. The one who is just a head is Rhoban (who also teams up with the Priory later).

Rhoban still has part of his upper torso as well as his head. And we have his thumb.

@Biff.5312 said:
    Exercise your whimsy.

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

Just like mounts

Not comparable. Mounts had design issues to not be implemented, new races have development issues.

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Pifil.5193Pifil.5193 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Xar.1387 said:
    Really? So why those generic fantasy tropes already exist then? There's already ALOT of them in GW2.
    Even dwarves already exist. I am not writing about creating whole new race, right? Dwarves already exist in this "not generic fantasy" universe :D

Also "devs/players dont want" argument in 2k18? Really? They didnt want mounts too. While right now every1 uses it. Same with raids.

They never said they didn't want mounts or raids.

They said that there would be no mounts in game at launch. I don't remember them saying anything about not adding raids.

@derd.6413 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

Just like mounts

Not comparable. Mounts had design issues to not be implemented, new races have development issues.

Other games do it, I don't see why we're considering Anet to be less capable

• @Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

Just like mounts

It’s not a matter of capability it’s a matter of resource allocation. They’ve decided that the money spent would be better going towards new content relevant for all players rather than new races relevant only for those players who would make and play that race.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

edited August 22, 2018

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

Just like mounts

It's not that they couldn't do it, it's that it's incredibly expensive.

The most obvious cost is voicing male and female characters for all the story instances, some ambient dialogue, combat chatter and so on in English, French, German and maybe Chinese. Few MMOs have fully voiced main characters.

There's also the cost of creating or tweaking animations and armour meshes for the new race.

There's also the cost of writing their story and creating the relevant instances in order to get them into the pact as commander.

Basically their position is that the resources would be better spent on creating content for everyone to enjoy, not just those who create a new character.

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

Just like mounts

On top of what @Just a flesh wound.3589 and @Pifil.5193 said there's also to consider that races in gw2 are alot less then in other games, the only diffrences are: appearance, useless racial skills (and not even on all classes) and early story.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

Nope.(15 playable tengu)

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

• Tengu first, pls. They are alive and they are less predominant in the majority of the MMOs.

• Ayakaru.6583Ayakaru.6583 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Xar.1387 said:
    DWARVES!
    Fantasy universe isnt complete without these little, bearded guys.

Any fantasy universe trying not to copy-paste lord of the rings is
    We got Asura, sorry they don’t have beards

@Xar.1387 said:
    There's also alot of mmorpg players that identify with dwarves and its really hard to find another race for them in gw2.

On the contrary, the dwarves will be the hardest to implement because they’re borderline extinct, and the remaining few are The Great Dwarf.
    And there’s plenty of other options, besides being original.
    Tengu, the Largos, heck, even the Margonites could return as a playable race

To defeat the dragons, see the good in them.
    Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

@Danikat.8537 said:

@infrequentia.3465 said:
    but they can't comeback

The other dwarves might well come back into the story at some point, especially if we end up fighting Primordius or otherwise going underground. But I think it's unlikely they'll ever be a playable race because they're now completely single-minded and devoted to fighting the destroyers so they wouldn't be able to do anything else.

I think you’re overestimating how many dwarves there still are.
    There’s even a dwarf who thought he was the last until he heard Ogden survived as well.

Zhaitan reunites lost ones, primordus creates fertile land, mordremoth spreads the green, and jormag..
    ..jormag? Who's that?

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭

We have Dwarves, they are just called Asura here. Kinda like how a large transport vehicle is called a "truck" or "semi" in the US but is known as a "lorry" in the UK.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

@DeanBB.4268 said:
    We have Dwarves, they are just called Asura here. Kinda like how a large transport vehicle is called a "truck" or "semi" in the US but is known as a "lorry" in the UK.

asura are more like goblins rather then dwarves

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dwarf, goblin, gnome, halfling, asura, whatever.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lokh.2695 said:
    Nope.(15 playable tengu)

Always +1 the dream of all the Tengu~
    Perfect time would be at a new expansion. Nine new Tengu babies with all the new elite specs. :3

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

Just like mounts

“Then play (insert other game)”
    One game having Y is literally zero argument for another game to have it.
    Othrwise there would only be one game with everything.
    The Elder Rune-World of Guildwars-Craft Scrolls-Scape it would be called, I bet

Edit; it would be called the Black Desert of the Elder Rune-World of Guildwars-Craft Scrolls-Scape online

Fixed that for you.

If you want X, and Y is needed to get get X, you also have to want Y if you really want X. If you don't want Y, you don't want X. It's easy.
    Pro: Build Templates, Dungeon Rework, UW content
    Contra: New Races, New Classes, New Weapons, Capes

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

Just like mounts

“Then play (insert other game)”
    One game having Y is literally zero argument for another game to have it.
    Othrwise there would only be one game with everything.
    The Elder Rune-World of Guildwars-Craft Scrolls-Scape it would be called, I bet

Edit; it would be called the Black Desert of the Elder Rune-World of Guildwars-Craft Scrolls-Scape

Other folks have put up good arguments that I didn't bother refuting, but this is the worst argument you could have made.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2018

Dwarves, Tengu, Kodan, Largos and then we have 9 professions and 9 races. Perfect!

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

1. All dwarves eventually turned into stone.
    2. There's no sign any remained flesh.
    3. They are slowly going extinct as their numbers do not increase, they only go down.
    4. They completely turned into single animated slabs of stone, clothes and all, so they can't be customized like you can't with sylvari and their plant clothes.
    5. All their cities are gone, any remaining dwarves likely exist only in isolated war camps in the depths of Tyria.

They have been pretty much ruled out as a playable race.

The core things you need for a playable race are:

• Culturally diverse and advanced so they can be all professions and specializations.
    • They must have a main City hub.
    • They must be customizable enough to make very distinct characters.
    • They must not be too distinc physically from other races: two arms, two legs.. etc, so making armors for them can be done based on existing armors.

That rules out all tribal races, dwaves, kodan, and most other known races except Tengu, since their armors can be done out of charr armors.

@Fenom.9457 said:
    Quaggan, Tengu, Skritt, Largos and then we have 9 professions and 9 races. Perfect!

Fixed

• Xenon.4537Xenon.4537 Member ✭✭✭

Tengu please.

• starhunter.6015starhunter.6015 Member ✭✭✭

@Magek.4718 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:
    Quaggan, Tengu, Skritt, Largos and then we have 9 professions and 9 races. Perfect!

Fixed

I second this !
    *Quaggan an Skritt would be hardest on fashion wars, but those races do have good amounts of customization in game already
    *Tengu have been noted to use Charr assets from armor to Skeleton.
    *Largos are Humanoid so very easy on fashion wars, plus the Largos Back/Glider I feel was Anets way of experimenting with the race.

• Trise.2865Trise.2865 Member ✭✭✭✭

We already have the Norn, how much more fantasy dwarf trope do you need?

If we want ANet to step up their game, then we must step up ours.

• DeadlySynz.3471DeadlySynz.3471 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see the Skritt, Choya, and Quaggan as playable races, but mostly skritt!

edited August 22, 2018

@Magek.4718 said:

@Fenom.9457 said:

Fixed

If Quaggans become playable i will only make a char to have it intentionally die all over the place
    By the six do i hate those aquatic rats, defying logic of natural selection like that.

..jormag? Who's that?

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:
    1. All dwarves eventually turned into stone.
    2. There's no sign any remained flesh.
    3. They are slowly going extinct as their numbers do not increase, they only go down.
    4. They completely turned into single animated slabs of stone, clothes and all, so they can't be customized like you can't with sylvari and their plant clothes.
    5. All their cities are gone, any remaining dwarves likely exist only in isolated war camps in the depths of Tyria.

They have been pretty much ruled out as a playable race.

The core things you need for a playable race are:

• Culturally diverse and advanced so they can be all professions and specializations.
    • They must have a main City hub.
    • They must be customizable enough to make very distinct characters.
    • They must not be too distinc physically from other races: two arms, two legs.. etc, so making armors for them can be done based on existing armors.

That rules out all tribal races, dwaves, kodan, and most other known races except Tengu, since their armors can be done out of charr armors.

Good points there on the dwarves. There are probably so few left at this time that even if they somehow reversed the Rite of the Great Dwarf (assuming it could even be reversed) they'd be a Critically Endangered species.

I reckon skritt are similar enough to charr that they could work too. I'd prefer tengu though, they may even have some usable tengu assets from before they were cut.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Trise.2865 said:
    We already have the Norn, how much more fantasy dwarf trope do you need?

Actual dwarves

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Turk.5460Turk.5460 Member ✭✭✭✭

FurryGuild Wars 3 playable races will be Charr, Skritt, Kodan, Tengu, and Springer Mount.

Fort Aspenwood
    Jekkies

• JDub.1530JDub.1530 Member ✭✭✭

@Xar.1387 said:
    New playable race like that could bring alot of new players to the game.

I'm not sure why this is an argument in every "New Playable Race" thread. It's not as if ANet will read this and suddenly go "Egads, he's right!" and get right to implementing it. I'm sure they're aware of the effect it might have on their player numbers.

@Xar.1387 said:
    with a relatively small amount of work.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh............

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    -Create 9 new cultural armor sets (3 tiers times 3 weights)
    -Create at least one Cultural weapon set

Would they though? If they were to add a new race, I'm sure they could force players to accept concessions, like no cultural gear.

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    -Create a new Personal Story (at least where the story was culturally specific) until you join an order
    . . . . .
    -Re-record player character dialog for every instance of the player speaking that exists, including Personal Story, Seasons 2-4, Path of Fire, and Heart of thorns . Twice

Not necessarily. A better story implementation would be to insert a new playable race character into current events. Yes, they would still need new personalized story, which they could use to introduce the character to the current cast of NPCs, and perhaps have you take over for their former "slain" commander, then by the end have it flow right into the current story that core race characters experience.

Not that I'm advocating for a new race, personally. Although I wouldn't say "no" if one were dropped in my lap. :D

• Massively OP Summarizes Mike Zadorojny's (April 2018) Comments on New Professions, new Races

We also talked a bit about things that are probably not happening. New professions, for example, have probably been sidelined forever in favor of new elite specializations; they allow the team to change the feel of a given profession without actually forcing you to play a new character along the way. New races, too, are a lot of work for limited rewards, and any sort of console development is also not something the team is focused on.

Obviously, none of this is set in stone; he stressed that the quote to take away is not that new races will never be added. It’s just not the current direction.

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• mindcircus.1506mindcircus.1506 Member ✭✭✭✭

@JDub.1530 said:

@Xar.1387 said:
    New playable race like that could bring alot of new players to the game.

I'm not sure why this is an argument in every "New Playable Race" thread. It's not as if ANet will read this and suddenly go "Egads, he's right!" and get right to implementing it. I'm sure they're aware of the effect it might have on their player numbers.

@Xar.1387 said:
    with a relatively small amount of work.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhh............

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    -Create 9 new cultural armor sets (3 tiers times 3 weights)
    -Create at least one Cultural weapon set

Would they though? If they were to add a new race, I'm sure they could force players to accept concessions, like no cultural gear.

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    -Create a new Personal Story (at least where the story was culturally specific) until you join an order
    . . . . .
    -Re-record player character dialog for every instance of the player speaking that exists, including Personal Story, Seasons 2-4, Path of Fire, and Heart of thorns . Twice

Not necessarily. A better story implementation would be to insert a new playable race character into current events. Yes, they would still need new personalized story, which they could use to introduce the character to the current cast of NPCs, and perhaps have you take over for their former "slain" commander, then by the end have it flow right into the current story that core race characters experience.

Not that I'm advocating for a new race, personally. Although I wouldn't say "no" if one were dropped in my lap. :D

Sure, they could also start you at 80, and bar you from playing the story in HoT, PoF, core and seasons 2-4. They could make one set only of cultural armor. They could say "you are dwarves, there aren't enough of you left for a capital city". They could severely limit your customization options for economy's sake... the list goes on.

While you (or even I) might accept a "half-baked " new race without cultural armors, a unique personal story or even integration within the current narrative, the vast majority of people who make this request are in the same camp as the OP.
    Do you think these players would be accepting of a limited experience for their dwarf/tengu/skritt?
    Or do you think the feedback they would give is "Anet cheaped out on the Dwarves. Here is a list of things I am SUPER SALTY that I can't do!!!...ANET PLZ, WHY U HATE DWAVES!!"

We're talking about people who earnestly believe this is " a relatively small amount of work" and I doubt any compromise would make them happy.

..and we are talking about a race that has been done to death in hundreds of other games.

• Einsof.1457Einsof.1457 Member ✭✭✭

Current races are fine. If rather anet focus on new actual content.

• I'd like new races. Even if i know the tones of work (Story, maps, models etc..) I'm thinking about kodans they could adapt norns for armors and tengu with charrs one, like they do with human and sylvaris (wich are almost the same if it's not). I'd like to experience new stories with those two races. But if they have to include it into the already existing stories how to justify we are the only kodan or tengu in the pact ? In the orders ? and so on.. So yeah the hardest work with adding new races would be the scenario :/

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Pifil.5193 said:

@Xar.1387 said:

They never said they didn't want mounts or raids.

They said that there would be no mounts in game at launch. I don't remember them saying anything about not adding raids.

^ This. They even said "GW2 will have no expansions cuz we got Living World seasons".

So, let me get it all right;
    No expansions - HoT & PoF expansions.
    No raids - added later on after HoT exp.
    No mounts - PoF expansion content.
    No new playable races - next expansion??

Who knows really what ANet is up to and what's on the table.
    New races are one of the most requested content of the playerbase, it would be a shame and a bad move if ANet dont grant us this in the future.

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

• maddoctor.2738maddoctor.2738 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Alga.6498 said:

They said that expansions aren't needed because of their Living World model. However, the Living World model failed and that's why they changed it to an expansion model. That was more out of necessity.

They said that their Orr Temple events and their explorable dungeons will be content for those that play Raids in other games. Both of these failed to attract players that play Raids in other games, or at least to keep them in the game for long. Which is why... we got them with Heart of Thorns.

They absolutely never said no to mounts. They only said "there won't be mounts on launch". That's it. They NEVER commented on any of the mount threads that appeared on the forums for YEARS. Not even once.

They said, multiple times, that Races are "highly unlikely" and not something that we'll see with the current direction. Not a definite "no", the future is in flux and it's not very good for a game developer to say "absolutely no" to a feature, but it's not something we'll see any time soon and it's NOT a priority.

So Races are completely different to Expansions (financial reasons), Raids (past promises?) and Mounts (never even commented about them). Instead the developers were clear that Races are not coming in the near future, something they never done with any of the above.

• @Alga.6498 said:

New races are one of the most requested content of the playerbase, it would be a shame and a bad move if ANet dont grant us this in the future.

They never said there will never be expansions; the possibility was always left open. They never said anything about mounts. They never said raids wouldn't be in the games; they always left open the possibility.

In contrast, on more than one occasion (including this year), they have said that races aren't a priority for the studio, they aren't being considered at all at this time.

So sure, we never really know everything that's on the table, everything that's coming soon. But in this case, we know that this request isn't happening this year or next year. And that isn't likely to change even after that, because the reasons it's not being actively considered aren't likely to change: adding a new playable race uses a lot of the same resources already tasked with Living Story (among other things) and it increases the cost of designing new skins, especially outfits and armors.

It's not impossible for ANet to change their mind, it's just incredibly unlikely that it's going to happen before a GW3 (which also isn't on the table).

"Face the facts. Then act on them. It's ...the only doctrine I have to offer you, & it's harder than you'd think, because I swear humans seem hardwired to do anything but. Face the facts. Don't pray, don't wish, ...FACE THE FACTS. THEN act." — Quellcrist Falconer

• Alga.6498Alga.6498 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2018

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Alga.6498 said:

They never said there will never be expansions; the possibility was always left open. They never said anything about mounts. They never said raids wouldn't be in the games; they always left open the possibility.

Oh please, if you have been here at the start you would know these kind of stuff. Clearly you haven't been around that long. However, they DID said ''no expansions will ever come to GW2'' because of the Living World, you can even look it up at the older forum.

| Separatist | Nightmare Court | Inquest | White Mantle | Sunspears | Loyalists | Ascalon | Kryta | Ebonhawke | Elona | Istan | Kourna | Vabbi | Cantha | Luxon | Kurzick | 71 characters | "Rally to me, Ascalonians!" "Keep Ascalon in your heart." "May the Gods protect you." "Be blessed by the Six."

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.