New playable race

Comments

• @Alga.6498 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Alga.6498 said:
    Do I have a proof of a dev saying "no expansions"? Sadly I do not

Stop making the claim then.

It was an example, for the Six's sake!

This wasn't "just an example;" it was the root of the argument. This urban legend was used to illustrate the claim that ANet sometimes changes their mind after saying that they did not have plans to implement a specific, major initiative. As it turns out, not only was this one inaccurate, but so were the other examples offered.

In this particular case, ANet has explained their reasoning: it's not a good use of their resources, which are also used for Living World & Expansions, and because a new playable race would increase ongoing costs. Until that calculus changes, there's no reason for ANet to reconsider.

Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"

• Just a flesh wound.3589Just a flesh wound.3589 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2018

@Alga.6498 said:

@Just a flesh wound.3589 said:

@Alga.6498 said:

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Alga.6498 said:
    So, let me get it all right;
    No expansions - HoT & PoF expansions.
    No raids - added later on after HoT exp.
    No mounts - PoF expansion content.
    No new playable races - next expansion??

Who knows really what ANet is up to and what's on the table.
    New races are one of the most requested content of the playerbase, it would be a shame and a bad move if ANet dont grant us this in the future.

They never said there will never be expansions; the possibility was always left open. They never said anything about mounts. They never said raids wouldn't be in the games; they always left open the possibility.

Oh please, if you have been here at the start you would know these kind of stuff. Clearly you haven't been around that long. However, they DID said ''no expansions will ever come to GW2'' because of the Living World, you can even look it up at the older forum.

Here’s the quote and no they never said no expansions, they actually said it’s on the table but if the Living World works out they won’t need it.

(Emphasis is mine)

Expansion and Living Story

“So right now we're not really looking at expansions as an option," lead content designer Mike Zadorojny told me on his visit to London last week.
    "It's something that's on the table but it's not something we're focused on, because what we want to do is - our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis."
    I pressed him to tell me whether there would be a Guild Wars 2 expansion this year and he shook his head to indicate no. What about next year, I asked?
    "If we do this right," he answered, "we will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy."

So, it was only if they were happy with the results of the Living World that there would be no expansions. Obviously they weren’t happy with it so they turned to expansions as their alternate choice.

If you wanna go there with me, sure.
    I had a screenshot ages ago, before you even popped up here in the forums 24/7, as a Dev replied to an expansion thread discussion about GW2 could need an expansion.
    She/he did said similar
    "No, we wont have expansions, we have Living World- that's our "expansion"."

Yes, they wanted to make the Living World to become their expansion system but according to themselves, it failed.
    I quote:
    [Spoiler]"So right now we're not really looking at expansions as an option,"
    "It's something that's on the table but it's not something we're focused on, because what we want to do is - our idea here is that with Living World, we can do what expansions would have done but do it on a more regular basis."
    "If we do this right," he answered, "we will probably never do an expansion and everything will be going into this Living World strategy." lead content designer Mike Zadorojny.[/spoiler]
    Do I have a proof of a dev saying "no expansions"? Sadly I do not anymore, I could go through the older forums but wasting time on that is just irrelevant.
    We have expansions now, thank god, so stop beating the dead horse already.

Stop beating the dead horse? Seriously??

It was you who repeatedly and falsely claimed on this thread that the devs said that there would be no expansions when you said “However, they DID said ''no expansions will ever come to GW2'' because of the Living World.” It was you said “Oh please, if you have been here at the start you would know these kind of stuff. Clearly you haven't been around that long.” It was you who said “you can even look it up at the older forum.” Well I did look it up as you suggested and the quote proved you wrong. If you have an alternate quote that proves me wrong then bring it on. Otherwise stop complaining when someone brings the dev quote to the thread and stop trying to make it the other person’s fault by saying they’re “beating a dead horse” when it was you who brought it up in the first place.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• I'd rather have build templates over a new race, but if one was on the table I would hope for Kodan or Tengu. I personally don't believe we will ever receive a new race or new profession (outside of specializations) in GW2, but I keep praying for build templates.

• Kelly.7019Kelly.7019 Member ✭✭✭

add a new race that hasn't existed in tyria yet. Add new story to xplain this (something like sylvari - like how they new race, not plant people) might be with new xpansion because that makes most sense unless u can wrap it into a LSW. Lots of unexplored areas of Tyria not even played in GW1. For those of us that never played gw1 would be more emmerisve nobody having an edge over you.

• Drizzt.1796Drizzt.1796 Member ✭✭

i would really enjoy playing as a largos.
    also being elder dragon offspring like vlast and auren would be really cool!

Renegade Rework - A fan-made project including artwork and Wiki

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72196/become-renegade-the-greatsword-wielding-revenant#latest <<<----

Awesome thread, made by DonArkanio.6419 , a revenant rework.

Make sure to compliment him for all his hard work!!!

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

You want Dwarves? go play other game. They, along with Elves, are the most generic races with only elder scroll break this generic by making them highly advanced, other just your typical loud-honor-drunk-scottish accent, they should make dredge playable instead but even then i prefer they didn't. Leave GW2 out of this generic fantasy setting of human/elves/dwarf

• KidRoleplay.3615KidRoleplay.3615 Member ✭✭✭

@Ultramex.1506 said:
    You want Dwarves? go play other game. They, along with Elves, are the most generic races with only elder scroll break this generic by making them highly advanced, other just your typical loud-honor-drunk-scottish accent, they should make dredge playable instead but even then i prefer they didn't. Leave GW2 out of this generic fantasy setting of human/elves/dwarf

Just show you know, said Dwarf request was eleven months ago.

• Ultramex.1506Ultramex.1506 Member ✭✭✭

@KidRoleplay.3615 said:

@Ultramex.1506 said:

Just show you know, said Dwarf request was eleven months ago.

Still want to give my opinion should anyone find it again ;)

• Thornwolf.9721Thornwolf.9721 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2019

Won't happen not because it's not a good idea, but because it doesn't fit into the kind of stuff A-net likes to do/make.
    Though id prefer tengu, or the norn to get their beast forms as a customization option they could be in at all times I like this one as well. Id love for more options but clearly its just something they refuse to give us not something they "Can't" give us.

• I don't see the point of new races when we apparently got costume potions.
    What no one uses their Koda toys?

• Wolfey.3407Wolfey.3407 Member ✭✭

@VanHalenRules.5243 said:
    Forget a new race, can we just get a juvenile choya for a ranger pet please?

Put this beautiful person in charge of Ranger development please. What do you have to lose? give us hope.

• Holgarf.6581Holgarf.6581 Member ✭✭✭

The real new playable race... those weird kitten bird things. I can't remember what they are called.

• Luthan.5236Luthan.5236 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2019

A new race would make sense - should they bring another expansion. (Which I head they weren't planning for the near future.) This could avoid too many balancing issues that adding a new profession would bring. (They still might add new elite specs cause people request it though.) Ingame there were people talking about this in my map chat at one time recently ... and they said it would not be possible because of the lore/story. (The existing races are already included in the pact plotline and adding a new race would need to change that as well - even for existing story elements.)

Making it as an unlockable race would seem like a good idea to me. Main characters with other races need to progress their story to get into contact with the new race. New race will have living story and expansion stories only available the ones that are set chronological after that point. Could start at level 80 already. Could have some new profession (if they want to add new ones) that is available to that race only at first. (+ option to unlock for other races if you do certain achievements while playing that race/profession combo).

I mean: Dwarves would be fun. Weren't they in the old GW1 - and supposed to have vanished/died? Was it confirmed that they all died - without a somehow explainabled way to bring them back that would not sound too silly/far-fetched? (Dragons and stuff also appeared "suddenly".)

Don't need Tengu. The Largos seemed interesting to me from core personal storyy where on NPC char was involed to help.

Edit: Or all the minor races that can be helped during core personal story. Let us get some of them as customizable henchman. :D

• Amaranthe.3578Amaranthe.3578 Member ✭✭✭✭

The game is struggling to provide content updates, a new race should not even be on the table.

• @Holgarf.6581 said:
    The real new playable race... those weird kitten bird things. I can't remember what they are called.

They're called Tengu

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/72196/become-renegade-the-greatsword-wielding-revenant#latest <<<----

• @VanHalenRules.5243 said:
    Forget a new race, can we just get a juvenile choya for a ranger pet please?

Yes please ANET

• crepuscular.9047crepuscular.9047 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Luthan.5236 said:
    A new race would make sense - should they bring another expansion.

3 new human races will do the job, Yellow Canthans, Black Luxons, White Kurzicks :lol:

[RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]     [TTS] [KA] [SI]     [RIP Fashion Wars 2005-2018]
    Praise the Inevitable Eternal Transcendent King Palawa Ignacious Joko, the Beloved and Feared Undying Eternal Monarch of All !!!
    ... til Aurene ate him for dessert 😭
  • Hannelore.8153Hannelore.8153 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020

I remember when development on the game was so active we were expecting a new race, now we'll be lucky if we get new specs.

Hannah | Daisuki[SUKI] Founder, Ehmry Bay, NA | 22 charas, 16k hours, 28k AP | ♀♥♀
    Mains Mariyuuna/Auramancer(PvE) & Terakura/Healbreaker(WvW) aka Henge of Denravi Silver Invader [SUKI]
    No need to be best, only good and kind.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Hannelore.8153 said:
    I remember when development on the game was so active we were expecting a new race, now we'll be lucky if we get new specs.

When was that since I cant remember ever thinking they would add a new race.

• Bast.7253Bast.7253 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Linken.6345 said:

@Hannelore.8153 said:

When was that since I cant remember ever thinking they would add a new race.

To be fair, they did make a few changes to the Tengu borders that had people wondering. But I think it was just a terrain alteration for the beetle races. Many people thought we would never get expansions because they seemed adamantly against that business model originally, yet we wound up getting 2. So people thinking there was a hope we would get a new race didn't seem that far off.

I certainly never ruled it out, even if I didn't think it was that likely. But yeah, now it feels like an expansion/elite specs are out. Now it seems new fractals/raids are out. Maps aren't even really standard for content patches moving forward. Seems like a lot of things are losing development very rapidly.

• But the Devs specifically said there would not be a new Race, long, long ago.
    And it came up every time someone created a thread about 'a new race'.

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    So to properly integrate a race you would need to (among many other things):
    -Completely model, rig and animate two new characters.
    -Make every existing weapon in the game work with them properly.
    -Rig every existing armor set to the new model
    -Remodel a large number of those armor pieces to suit the new player characters
    -Create 9 new cultural armor sets (3 tiers times 3 weights)
    -Create at least one Cultural weapon set
    -Create a new Personal Story (at least where the story was culturally specific) until you join an order
    -Voice all the new story
    -Re-record player character dialog for every instance of the player speaking that exists, including Personal Story, Seasons 2-4, Path of Fire, and Heart of thorns . Twice

@Xar.1387 said:
    Adding them to the game would bring many benefits with a relatively small amount of work.

a relatively small amount of work indeed.
    And then you could say to all your friends who don't play GW2: "Hey come play GW2 with me. They added a race you've already played in 20 other games...only now you can do it in Tyria".

I love the story of the Dwarves in GW2 very much. It's part of the lore I enjoy more than most. I would love to see more than what we have.
    But a playable race is not a small way to benefit this game.

This would also lead to having new racial starter zones.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kratan.4619 said:

@mindcircus.1506 said:
    So to properly integrate a race you would need to (among many other things):
    -Completely model, rig and animate two new characters.
    -Make every existing weapon in the game work with them properly.
    -Rig every existing armor set to the new model
    -Remodel a large number of those armor pieces to suit the new player characters
    -Create 9 new cultural armor sets (3 tiers times 3 weights)
    -Create at least one Cultural weapon set
    -Create a new Personal Story (at least where the story was culturally specific) until you join an order
    -Voice all the new story
    -Re-record player character dialog for every instance of the player speaking that exists, including Personal Story, Seasons 2-4, Path of Fire, and Heart of thorns . Twice

@Xar.1387 said:
    Adding them to the game would bring many benefits with a relatively small amount of work.

a relatively small amount of work indeed.
    And then you could say to all your friends who don't play GW2: "Hey come play GW2 with me. They added a race you've already played in 20 other games...only now you can do it in Tyria".

I love the story of the Dwarves in GW2 very much. It's part of the lore I enjoy more than most. I would love to see more than what we have.
    But a playable race is not a small way to benefit this game.

This would also lead to having new racial starter zones.

And voice acting, and personal story lines ...

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• SoulGuardian.6203SoulGuardian.6203 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2020

Skritt as the next playable race.
    😆🐀

• Super Hayes.6890Super Hayes.6890 Member ✭✭✭✭

This thread is still going? Yes, I want a new race. Honestly, I have given up and put it out of my mind at this point.

The next time you get angry at someone try walking a mile in their shoes. After that, who cares! You're a mile away and you have their shoes! -Someone with more awesome quotes than me

• SoulGuardian.6203SoulGuardian.6203 Member ✭✭✭✭

I was only joking before by saying skritt.
    But if there is a chance at all of a new playable race, I'd prefer it was something completely new.
    Such as a vampiric kind.
    Though they are part of myth and legend, I hardly see any playable vampire races.
    It's almost always elves, dwarves, orcs, and of course humans.
    GW did a good job in coming up with unique new races, and I know vampires aren't exactly unique, but they could do a variant of vampire; should there be new races, that is.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020

@Xar.1387 said:
    I wont write too much...

DWARVES!

Fantasy universe isnt complete without these little, bearded guys.
    New playable race like that could bring alot of new players to the game. And also veterans.
    There's also alot of mmorpg players that identify with dwarves and its really hard to find another race for them in gw2.
    So many of them cant fit into this universe. Adding them to the game would bring many benefits with a relatively small amount of work.

(And yes: I know lore pretty well. There's alot of options for dwarves to make epic comeback)

Dwarves on Tyria are extinct. They sacrificed themselves in the age of GW1 to be turned into an army of stone dwarves and fight the Great Destroyer. There still might be some left of them, as we have seen, but they are ultra rare and can't procreate. So, you won't find a living dwarf on Tyria, unless ANet shows mercy and alters the lore to add some distant relatives of the dwarves. I don't see it happen, though, as there have been tons of "New playable race, please!" threads throughout these past 7.5 years - and so far, nothing's happened in that regard. Shame.

• lokh.2695lokh.2695 Member ✭✭✭✭

@lokh.2695 said:
    Nope.(15 playable tengu)

this^^

Why bother, just delete the official Forum.

• Frostfang.5109Frostfang.5109 Member ✭✭✭✭

Fauns!!!!

I know it's a bit "Narnia" over it but there is even a place named "Fauns.... " something in Harati Hildebrand.

• zityz.6089zityz.6089 Member ✭✭✭

I have no hope any new races will be added into the game.
    They didn't bother finishing the Domain of Winds and Tengu playable race 7 years ago. They're not going to bother now. Heck, when they brought out a new profession, even that was half baked.

Only way I can see them adding another race into the game is if its Tengu and it takes place in Cantha, but I also have zero hope that they'll add any new continents into the game either.

It is a nice dream, but it will only just be that.

• Tenrai Senshi.2017Tenrai Senshi.2017 Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020

I do think new races can breathe a lot of life into an MMO, there's something exciting about it that just entices people to "give it another spin" so to speak. Other MMO's recognize this, and add new races when and where they can, or when it makes sense.

That being said, I also think we have to acknowledge the difficulty of adding something like a new race in GW2. It's not like adding mounts, which I think are relatively easy by comparison. Any new character model being implemented would also mean ensuring that every single weapon and armor set fits their frame as well, which could also mean complete reworks to most armor sets or outfits in the case where the new race model is drastically different from any of the current races. This would not only be the case for current sets, but any future sets or outfits added as well. Animations would also have to be taken into account, and if you consider the potential work it would take, both to create a race and then maintain its place in the game once implemented, there's a lot to it.

With that in mind, I think there are some race prospects that might be more realistically plausible to ask for than others, if we look at the current races we know about. The largos, for example, might be relatively easy to add compared to other prospects. Their model is mostly human-like, aside from their wings, so it wouldn't be hard to imagine that most armor sets would fit them fairly easily with little work done to them. Animations also wouldn't have to change too much unless they wanted to add some unique flavor to them. Tengu, on the other hand, would be a much more complicated affair, and while I think they would be a cool and interesting race to have added to the game, I reckon it would be much more difficult to achieve. Dwarfs (the race you requested) probably sit somewhere in the middle of those two.

The question for ArenaNet would be "how much time/resources can we expect to expend on this kind of project and what will we gain from that effort?" If the gain justifies the effort involved, then the chances of a new race being added are much more probable. But you don't want a situation where a new race is added, and then after the novelty wears off, most people go back to playing humans anyway. Sometimes the more "funky" or "unique" races also end up being the least popular, and that might be the biggest deterrent for ArenaNet, where they simply cannot foresee an effort of this scale being justified or rewarded from a business perspective.

• Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2020

Or they could just MAKE THE GOD kitten TRANSFORMS WORK WITH MOUNTS.

A "new" race still will never happen unless it's identical to the skin setup and skeletons of one of the existing races - which would be pretty pointless. There's just too many skins they would have to remodel or re-rig.

gaggle - /ˈɡaɡ(ə)l/ - noun
    A disorderly group of Asura.
    "The gaggle of Asura tried to agree on whether a phase-shifted thermonuclear energy matrix was sufficiently powerful for a device capable of heating bread"

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Dawdler.8521 said:
    Or they could just MAKE THE GOD kitten TRANSFORMS WORK WITH MOUNTS.

A "new" race still will never happen unless it's identical to the skin setup and skeletons of one of the existing races - which would be pretty pointless. There's just too many skins they would have to remodel or re-rig.

id be okay with that, give me a tengu one too and be 100% fine.

Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

• I dont think it will happen so late in the games life, but if it will happen Tengu is my first pic. Always liked them in gw 1.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 23, 2020

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:

@Magek.4718 said:

@derd.6413 said:
    New races won't happen in the near future, this has been established and explained ad nauceum.
    Also ppl (including devs) don't want generic fantasy tropes in the game (why do you think the dwarves went extinct)

Just like mounts

Not comparable. Mounts had design issues to not be implemented, new races have development issues.

Other games do it, I don't see why we're considering Anet to be less capable

It's not "less capable". It's the voice acting and armor. Both cause a situation where adding a new race would not only require adding/redoig a lot of already existing assets, but also significantly increase workload (and costs) on all future stuff.

They already mentioned several times in the game history, that they consider adding a new race an extremely costly endeavour that doesn;t offer enough to be worth that price.

By the way, did you notice how Square Enix mentioned, that the Shadownbringers' Viera and Hrothgar are likely the last races added to FF XIV, for exactly the same reason (and that they are gender-locked because they had resources for only one more race, so they decided to split them that way)? And remember, that they have only the gear assets to deal with, because the protagonist character isn't voiced.
    Hint: Anet doesn't have even a sliver of the resources and money FF XIV gets.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Astralporing.1957 said:
    It's the voice acting and armor.

Hoo boy, that's a lot. Male and female VAs * 5 or 6 languages GW2 goes out to * all the content that's voiced by the PC. Even if they pass over vanilla with a different story, there's still Season 2, HoT, Season 3, PoF, Season 4, etc. And then armors, so many armors.
    And that would all increase production costs moving forward. Forever.

By the way, did you notice how Square Enix mentioned, that the Shadownbringers' Viera and Hrothgar are likely the last races added to FF XIV, for exactly the same reason (and that they are gender-locked because they had resources for only one more race, so they decided to split them that way)? And remember, that they have only the gear assets to deal with, because the protagonist character isn't voiced.
    Hint: Anet doesn't have even a sliver of the resources and money FF XIV gets.

I swapped to Hrothgar in XIV, and it still makes me sad I don't get hats. And I'm stuck with Head Hair due to a technical limitation on the customization options. The implementation for both races was not a good compromise.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• Well... I either want a new race, or a LOT more customization options.

1. Three skritt fighting together, in tandem. I'd fork over gems for that.
    2. Dredge. To convey their blindness, have the default view for dredge players be an inverted color scheme.
    3. Something truly Lovecraftian. No other MMO or RPG of this size has gone that route, as far as I know.
  • Look at Logan Thackeray and you'll get all the Lovecraftian you want! https://wiki-en.guildwars2.com/wiki/Logan_Thackeray

• kratan.4619kratan.4619 Member ✭✭✭

Add werewolves.

How would you justify werewolves through existing lore?

Very.
    Casual.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:

Some would say the mists can add anything, it added skyscales for example.

@Linken.6345 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:

Some would say the mists can add anything, it added skyscales for example.

True, but they're not a playable race that would require storylines that go all of the way back to the beginning.

Very.
    Casual.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

@kharmin.7683 said:
    True, but they're not a playable race that would require storylines that go all of the way back to the beginning.

To be fair, humans were just plopped into Tyria by the gods. Same could happen with another race. Even the sylvari are only a few generations old.
    Could even be a possible hook for integrating a new race into the story: new race shows up having to deal with Zhaitan, joins the Pact, and works up to Commander. Wouldn't even have to be strictly the same storyline as far as voiceovers go, buuut, Season 2 onward would still need voicing. Ah well.

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• @kratan.4619 said:
    Add werewolves.

Be a Norn and Become the Wolf whenever you are in combat. That’s the Tyrian version of werewolf.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Terra.9506Terra.9506 Member ✭✭✭

Instead of add new playable race I wish they will update what we already have with something like Race Specialize trait, or simply new cultural armor... And IMO those Tengu close their border long enough already maybe it's time to visit their land and learn what really happen?

• Cynder.2509Cynder.2509 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'm still hoping for Tengu, Largos (perhaps but I highly doubt that) and Kodan to be playable. I even have some concepts for possible Tengu and Kodan characters. Or maybe we'll get surprised with an entirely new race that was never seen before. A portion of Thyria (the planet not the continent "tyria") is still undocumented and was never seen before and it's possible that there are races we've never seen before. There were for example concepts of a pig themed race as I remember but they were scrapped with Utopia alltogether. As much as I'd love to return to cantha I'd much more like to see the never before seen parts of this world such as "Dawn", "Arid", "Wetland", "Gwen", "Yeh" or "Olympus".

I'm Hunter, he/him
    Character infos: https://is-it-because-im-charr.tumblr.com/charactersgw2
    Meme God Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

• Or the Isle of Janathir

• I'd like to see that.