Should Base HP Be Normalized?

Turk.5460

I posed this question in the sPvP forums, but I believe WvW would benefit from a normalization as well. https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/52595/normalizing-base-hp#latest

If the game were to release right now and be brand new, would you be perplexed as to why 3 Professions have 11k, 4 have 15k, and 2 have 19k?

The TL;DR - No logical reason for there to be 11k, 15k, and 19k hp professions anymore due to powercreep.

I think Guardian and Elementist definity need more HP in general.I think every class having 15K HP would be ok the different HP amounts isnt needed anymore.Its really unfair and weird that Warrior has 19K HP and due to traits lines can be more tanky then guardian, the class that IS suppose the defensive class.

Game play wise in PvP/WvW you have the advantage in HP and tankness if you are a warrior over any other class it feels unbalanced, Especially in PVP, 1v1 warrior in pvp you're already at a disadvantage if you have to face one using another class.

There are builds out there that absoultly destroy classes with low base HP in one or two hits that have no HP or defensive investment.

even some bosses in PvE, Theives, Guardians and elementalists get oneshot by some boss mechanics due to their low base HP, and in other modes you need that full zerker gear to do DPS.This is something that is needed EVERYWHERE across the game in general to balance things out, Not just wvw, but other modes. like PvP and PvE.

Guardians have access to blocks and such which is one of the reasons why they had lower HP.

There were specific reasons why the HP values were different between classes. Perhaps some adjustments could be made depending on an e-spec equipped assuming such an adjustment is actually necessary.

Classes that go glass cannon should be getting destroyed. Glass cannon builds do not need to be buffed to be even more survivable.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Guardians have access to blocks and such which is one of the reasons why they had lower HP.

There were specific reasons why the HP values were different between classes. Perhaps some adjustments could be made depending on an e-spec equipped assuming such an adjustment is actually necessary.

Classes that go glass cannon should be getting destroyed. Glass cannon builds do not need to be buffed to be even more survivable.

cough mirage, mesmer, chrono cough

Base HP spread could certainly stand to be tightened, but effective HP is the bigger problem, and far more difficult to calculate. With the amounts of active defense(avoidance, mitigation, and self-healing) now in the game, light classes can be far tankier than heavy classes with the same stat spread. Some classes have to sacrifice far more to achieve the same TTK as other classes.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Guardians have access to blocks and such which is one of the reasons why they had lower HP.

With Power and new elite specs, there are MANY way a for attacks go around aegis and or to be unblockable and render any blocks or aegis useless,I don't even bother with aegis because literally everything just goes thru it. Or there are many multi-hitting attacks that it doesnt protect against.Maybe if Guardian has access to Barrier to make it more tanky, then I can understand your point.

But as it stands there is no reason for them to have low HP now.In wvw without any bulk or HP investment Ele's, Guard's and Thieves are just fodder for people to kill.

Its not really as easy as arguing "powercreep" as even with this, there are high damage thieves that can be insanely tanky and warriors that can drop in an instant. Or that moment last night when I saw a dragonhunter outrun 5 man and heal through anything lol. They dont seem to be hurting from low hp. Then of course you got the necro, highest hp class there is... and most would argue its weaker 1v1 than many other classes. Now how does that make any sense if hp was such a big deal?

If anything, we should just get a ~2k baseline boost of hp. Which then again would be offset by doing more damage because everyone would skip more vitality.

take health, armor and the defensive buffs of the class (and constant overall buffs like protection) together, add them up to an EHP and compare them with each other. Then you can see that in WvW the DMG classes are below 100kk, ballance around 120kk and the tanks around over 150kk. The only difference is, that some are little more susceptible to conditiondamage (less vita) than others. However, you can clearly see that the modifiers significantly increase the overall defense, so that even classes with less hp can have a high EHP and that for example more armor or vita in certain builds has a very strong effect if and so...

in short, don't worry about a little HP or armor, but always look at the whole product and, now it's tricky, consider the way of playing and the movement, aggro vulnerability aso... welcome to complex theoriecrafting ;)

by the way, some defensive modifiers are summed up in the product, others are multiplied!

Definitely yes. back in the old GW1 days everyone had 480 hp at lvl 20 and that was a baseline PvP could work with. Balance was not perfect, but at least Izzy only had to juggle with the different armour classes (3 variables) instead of armour and hit point classes (9 variables). Having hit point classes is a fundamental problem of GW2 balancing that Anet created themselves without the need for it. It got worse when Anet decided to have those huge differences in the numbers too. (over 70% between low and high)PS: It's low HP & low AC is the root of all evil for the Elementalist and I remember discussing a switch between Ele & Mes in terms of HP since the second beta weekend of GW2

@Silver.2076 said:take health, armor and the defensive buffs of the class (and constant overall buffs like protection) together, add them up to an EHP and compare them with each other. Then you can see that in WvW the DMG classes are below 100kk, ballance around 120kk and the tanks around over 150kk. The only difference is, that some are little more susceptible to conditiondamage (less vita) than others. However, you can clearly see that the modifiers significantly increase the overall defense, so that even classes with less hp can have a high EHP

My guardian only has 42 flibflobs on the conflobulation index, what size septicaliper are you using?

@LetoII.3782 said:Blocks are kinda useless in today's game.

I don't think that's true. Even if it's quite difficult to time your blocks they remain very valuable in pvp and wvw. If too difficult to time them, rotating / spamming them works fine too. FB can apply aegis very frequently and preventing 5k damage is still a lot easier than healing it up.

@Etheri.5406 said:

@LetoII.3782 said:Blocks are kinda useless in today's game.

I don't think that's true. Even if it's quite difficult to time your blocks they remain very valuable in pvp and wvw. If too difficult to time them, rotating / spamming them works fine too. FB can apply aegis very frequently and preventing 5k damage is still a lot easier than healing it up.

Soulbeast v DragonhunterYour move sir

Archived