What is your desired aesthetic for the DSD? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What is your desired aesthetic for the DSD?

Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

The information/lore we know doesn’t hint at much beyond a sort of lovecraftian horror vibe.

Would you prefer a more traditional looking sea dragon, or something more akin to Cthulhu or an Eldritch Horror?

I love the idea of an alien, incomprehensible form. Even the idea that we as the player never truly see the DSD dragon interests me - the image is too horrible for us to understand. Or all we manage to see of it before it is defeated are its many glowing eyes and the silhouette of its body moving through the deep.

That sense of mystery would retain a lot of the DSD’s ominous vibe up till now, but it’s also fun to see the full picture. I’m torn!

Anyway, I’m mostly bored and interested to hear thoughts, theories, hopes. Daydreaming too much about gw2 at work lol.

Comments

• cptaylor.2670cptaylor.2670 Member ✭✭✭✭

I’d like to see a slender saltsprey dragon with 8 heads like a hydra. But there was another thread here with some really cool concept art.

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

@cptaylor.2670 said:
    I’d like to see a slender saltsprey dragon with 8 heads like a hydra. But there was another thread here with some really cool concept art.

I think that’d be cool too and fitting to existing dragon lore. Plus it would definitely connect to the Scylla vibe they’re rumored to be going for.

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Dragon shaped, tentacles and bio-luminescent

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Oglaf.1074Oglaf.1074 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2018

Something resembling/inspired by those gnarly/scary deep-sea fishes that lurk out there.

giphy.gif

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• Weindrasi.3805Weindrasi.3805 Member ✭✭✭

I want the lovecraftian horror design. H.P. Lovecraft and his monsters are my favorites in the horror genre.

• I want something super sweet and cuddly. Something you just want to hug.

Until you realize that behind that cuddly exterior hides the true psychological horror only the sickest minds can even dream off.

• I would like a single glowing pod in the endless darkness, a gigantic core of magic that lures us further into the depths. It must be its weakness right, we don't know anything else... we follow the light, until we feel the drift of the currents and hear the snap of gargantuan teeth snapping shut above.

• Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

It's the deep sea dragon. There is, frankly, very little that could possibly make it more terrifying to me. (I have an intense fear of deep, dark water; unless Bubbles turns out to be a quaggan-sized, completely harmless puffball of cuteness, there's little that could make the deep sea dragon less terrifying to me, either. XD)

But hey, it's an Elder Dragon, and we've already got horrifying monstrosities like Zhaitan - so I say, bring on the tentacled, bio-luminescent, Lovecraftian horrors!

fear not this night
    you will not go astray

@Batel.9206 said:
    It's the deep sea dragon. There is, frankly, very little that could possibly make it more terrifying to me. (I have an intense fear of deep, dark water; unless Bubbles turns out to be a quaggan-sized, completely harmless puffball of cuteness, there's little that could make the deep sea dragon less terrifying to me, either. XD)

But hey, it's an Elder Dragon, and we've already got horrifying monstrosities like Zhaitan - so I say, bring on the tentacled, bio-luminescent, Lovecraftian horrors!

You’re wise to fear the depths of the seas. We actually know way, waaaay more about outer space than we do about what truly lurks down there (turns out it is far easier to point a telescope and peer out into the clear vastness of space than see down through the murky darkness of the oceans).

To me, that’s what makes Cthulhu (and other ocean-bound Lovecraftian ghoulies) so fascinating.

Please Anet give us a hide Chest Armour-option. Tattoo-clad Norns everywhere beg of you.

• Edelweiss.4261Edelweiss.4261 Member ✭✭✭

I'd kind of like an oceanic wyrm(not wurm). Like a giant sea serpent that is camouflaged by the waves. I imagine Faren doing a dive off his ship(because of course he has one) only to be surprised that the ocean he was diving into was actually a gigantic elder dragon.

I still need my Lovecraft, though. Preferably, take ques from Innsmouth. I want to visit a town that smells of fish and half-human, half-dagon monstrosities. Make it so Anet. Also, if you can bury us in an underground crypt for an episode of the living story, I will love you so much.

• Fenom.9457Fenom.9457 Member ✭✭✭✭

I’m torn because honestly there could be several sea EDs that are entirely distinct (except there aren’t more as we know). It would be awesome to see something that’d a cross between eldrtitch monster and classic sea serpent, and make the whole story and design as scary as possible

HARRY! DIDYA PUT YER NAME IN DA GOBLET OF FIYAH?!

• Musaroxy.2874Musaroxy.2874 Member ✭✭✭

I'd love to see it be terrifyingly huge, I want it to be something we can't even tangibly comprehend the entirety of.
    At the very least, I want that old piece of concept art of the sea serpent with octopus legs as it's head(?), that comes up when you google the Deep Sea Dragon. That one always looked awesome.

"You know what they say: Curiosity pruned the Sylvari."

@Musaroxy.2874 said:
    I'd love to see it be terrifyingly huge, I want it to be something we can't even tangibly comprehend the entirety of.

Maybe something like Midgårdsormen of Norse mythology where the dragon’s body is big enough to encircle most of the planet.

Like the majority of it’s bulk could be buried deep within the sea floor across all of Tyria in a dormant state.

• dusanyu.4057dusanyu.4057 Member ✭✭✭

Eldritch horror that reduces all who view it to gibbering madness. Prehaps on land in the area a nod to Innsmouth.

• I love how ANet kept the deep-sea dragon a mystery up to now. We don't know what it looks like, we don't know what its minions look like, we don't even know its name. We always get some hints like inquest notes or the letter s, but its always vague. I really hope ANet manages to capture this theme of "too far to pin down, yet too close to ignore" in the deep sea dragon's expansion. An eye glinting at us, a scale glistering in the dark, in my opinion the dsd should be present in one form or another in every story chapter of that expansion. Always too far to make out a general shape, yet too close to feel comfortable. The thought that somewhere in the darkness something huge and terrifying could be lurking is what makes deep waters so scary to many people. The dsd should be the embodyment of this fear of the unknown.

No skin should be exclusive to gem-store rng boxes.
    What really happened with mount skins

• Svennis.3852Svennis.3852 Member ✭✭✭

@BunjiKugashira.9754 that’s exactly what I’m thinking too! Gimme that anxiety and tension. Ow O

• AgentMoore.9453AgentMoore.9453 Member ✭✭✭

Turns out, it's just a school of coordinated piranhas curled around a mass of elder dragon magic. It would explain why no one's been able to describe its shape.

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

@AgentMoore.9453 said:
    Turns out, it's just a school of coordinated piranhas curled around a mass of elder dragon magic. It would explain why no one's been able to describe its shape.

Make those piranhas Mantis Shrimps instead, and I'll pay for it.

• There was a really neat loading screen? a while back when LA got remade. I thought it hinted the DSD but perhaps it was just nice art.

http://i.imgur.com/3tAr7wl.jpg

• Aaron Ansari.1604Aaron Ansari.1604 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018

Not a loading screen. If memory serves, it was one of the background images on the Heart of Thorns preview site.

Was, and is, apparently.

R.I.P., Old Man of Auld Red Wharf. Gone but never forgotten.

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018

And said background image was made by Daniel Dociu (and given the date, would have been one of his last works for Anet given his departure in early 2017) and is titled "Tsunami". It was recently found hidden in the depths of ArtStation, offering us a much brighter and larger version, and curiously coupled with other Elder Dragon and dragon statue concept art pieces.

• Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:
    And said background image was made by Daniel Dociu (and given the date, would have been one of his last works for Anet given his departure in early 2017) and is titled "Tsunami". It was recently found hidden in the depths of ArtStation, offering us a much brighter and larger version, and curiously coupled with other Elder Dragon and dragon statue concept art pieces.

Isnt that Zhaitain then? cause when he awoke he created a tsunami, and the multiple heads remind me more of Zhaitan than anything else, i know its a bit late for Zhaitan art but still.

Ember Wandertooth(SB), Lucina Fallenflame(Weaver), Kianda Redpaw(Guardian), Kingslayer, Light in the Dark.
    Why Guild Wars is called Guild Wars

• derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Manimarco Devil.1790 said:
    There was a really neat loading screen? a while back when LA got remade. I thought it hinted the DSD but perhaps it was just nice art.

http://i.imgur.com/3tAr7wl.jpg

looks more like some aquatic hydra subspecies then an ED tbh

I Have No friends, so I Must pug

• Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018

@Dante.1763 said:

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Isnt that Zhaitain then? cause when he awoke he created a tsunami, and the multiple heads remind me more of Zhaitan than anything else, i know its a bit late for Zhaitan art but still.

Zhaitan caused a tsunami but was not in the waves, and it looks nothing like any depiction of Zhaitan, which always had the same horns (except the very earliest). And all post-release Zhaitan artwork has used his final in-game appearance.

It seems to be 2014/2015 artwork, as it was never shown before the HoT website that Aaron linked in 2015 - it was put up on ArtStation "2 years ago" (so ~2016).

I imagine it would be for when they were tossing ideas for a post-HoT storyline, before they settled on Balthazar, and Daniel Dociu did some concept art of these various ideas. Another artpiece is "new" and was added alongside "Tsunami" which is titled "Mordy Returns", which is part of what leads me to think this. I suspect that "Tsunami" was a conceptual piece for "what if the DSD attacked Tyria?" while they were making post-HoT plotlines.

Also, here is the link to all these art pieces, since I seemed to have forgotten it earlier: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/QJQvL The top 4 and 6th artworks were for core GW2; the 5th piece - Destroyer Dragon - was from Eye of the North for Primordus as a statue. The last - Mordy returns - is completely unseen outside this posting.

• @Penguin.1345 said:
    I do love the idea of the deep sea dragon being too big to comprehend, too alien to understand yet too threatening to leave alone. If all we see of it is individual bodyparts, perhaps a few eyes, a fin and a couple tentacles i will be sated.

So, I have compiled all those traits into one creature shape. What do you think?

• I was looking at different depictions of leviathans when I came across one that had no eyes. For some reason, that just made it more terrifying/alien to me. Probably why the xenomorphs from the Alien franchise don't have visible eyes. It is easier to see yourself in something that has eyes, I think.

• I see DSD as big jellyfish or amoeba.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.