Rifle, deadeye or engineer?

Scar.1793

What do you mean by best? It kinda comes down to style of play and what you're trying to achieve. The way Deadeye holds and fires their rifle looks cooler but outside of how cool it looks which one is using it the best comes down to build and build goals. I think they both make good use of their rifles for what each profession is attempting to do with them.

I love rifle on Engineer, but as others have said this weapon functions more like a shotgun and utility weapon. Rifle on Holosmith with Static Discharge is a very interesting build at the moment. You effectively have ranged “cleave” damage with SD, Blunderbuss and Jump Shot, and can switch into Holo mode for massive melee cleave damage. This class does well against Mesmers because of the combination of ranged and melee cleave.

Deadeye really has none of this cleave potential. It provides massive spike damage to a single target, often from much better range than an Engineer ever has access to.

Interestingly enough, both classes are good-to-great in WvW roaming and PvE. So you can’t go wrong.

@Scar.1793 said:Which one uses rifle the best ? I’d like to make an alt for wvw and pve but I’m hesitating. Deadeye feels too cheesy.

They use it very differently.

Engineer uses rifle like it's a shotgun and control weapon. Its damage is middling to weak at long range, and its highest damage is at close range (with some obvious tells). It has some strong CC to control the opponent.

Deadeye uses rifle like a sniper -- its damage is high at range, but it's not particularly good at controlling the opponent besides its high damage.

Archived